MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

6 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Piece of Sheffield's original ROL review from 1998:

“Sky Fits Heaven” takes its text from a Gap ad, which is at least an interesting place to seek the secrets of the universe, but “Shanti/Ashtangi,” where Madonna chants verse from the Yoga Taravali, sounds facile down here in the material world, especially since for all the faux Indian trappings it sounds like Devo’s version of “Working in the Coal Mine.” Madonna spends too much of the album slowing down the tempo in her quest for God, but God probably prefers “Into the Groove,” just like the rest of us.

Ray of Light isn’t quite the triumphant musical comeback her fans were praying novenas for. She hasn’t regained her genius for the crass, linear pop hook, and the Eighties Madonna of high-energy beats and wise-ass bravado is gone forever — that show is over, say goodbye. Instead, Ray of Light sums up the best we can expect from Madonna at this late date: overly arty, occasionally catchy, confused, secondhand, infuriating and great fun in spite of herself. She doesn’t seem to have a clear idea of what she wants to say about motherhood, other than that it’s the sort of intense experience that happens to a special person like Madonna. But that’s all it takes to get her emotions going, and passionate peaks like “Drowned World” and “Little Star” remind you that for all the years Madonna has spent chasing art, class and fashion, the reason we still care about her eccentricities is the emotion in her music; all her desperately chic decor can’t hide her rock & roll heart. We’ve all already forgotten the Sex book, the nose ring, the gold tooth. But we’ll always swoon for the lovesick Italian girl who sang “Crazy for You.” You can hear that voice on Ray of Light.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/ray-of-light-109869/

It's funny because it sounds like reading fans critiques on this board......always wishing for "the next...." (lately seems to be COADF) :lol: Does God prefer Hung Up like "the rest of us"??

I don't have a problem with review, I think he even gave it an A-

11 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

i know and it wasn't even a negative review 

I think its more his score doesnt match his review. Its also tied with AL has her lowest rated album. So I think that warrants some discussion.

20 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

i know and it wasn't even a negative review 

You'd think this was a place for discussion. 

5 hours ago, side_streets said:

I'm not sure. I just calculated the average rating.

8.4 according to my calculations. Not bad at all.

However, I'm just happy that one of my favorite magazines reviewed the album even when it's very different from what they tend to publish.

21 minutes ago, Alvarø said:

8.4 according to my calculations. Not bad at all.

However, I'm just happy that one of my favorite magazines reviewed the album even when it's very different from what they tend to publish.

Let's wait and see. But it looks like a good review. 

2 hours ago, Ven Conmigo said:

FFS just ONE review has elicited 9 pages. 237 more reviews to go... :wacko:

The hunger for this album is real. 🔥

3 minutes ago, the-queen said:

The hunger for this album is real. 🔥

Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the Madonna albums that take our breath away. 

I became a fan because of confession. My favorite song is Get together but My favorite Madonna album is American life, it's electronic, it's rock, it's acoustic, it's personal and political.It's raw it's futuristic. It's a masterpiece. American life the song need a comeback live 

other than that I CAN'T WAIT for its sequel, Madame X. 

Guest CzarnaWisnia
6 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

OH....and Hard Candy deserved EVERY SINGLE BIT of it's 4 STAR RATING!!!

One of the most undeserved maligned albums of her career. It's full of chewy pop nuggets. AND it's....COHESIVE!! That alone should give it 3 stars eh?? :lol:

You don't deserve 4 stars for nuggets.

7 hours ago, Danmacevents said:

No album is the same so I don't understand why people expect an album to be a continuation. 

You were a younger fan when this happened, so you can be forgiven for not really having the context ... I completely agree with what you’re saying here, and if your comment was responding to @Kurt420 at all, I am sure I can safely say he agrees with you, too. It’s just that, at the time, we knew AL (the album) was completely produced with Mirwais, and that was the first time she’d done that. (TB and LAP were mixes of Bray and Leonard.) So it is understandable that some fans, going in, had a little preconceived notion of how AL might come out (e.g., as Music Part II). Sometimes it takes us a while to learn our lessons and realize how Madonna will not always be predictable, even when we “know” facts about a project (not just have opinions or preferences). Who, for example, would have guessed what “Hey, You” would sound like if it had been known in advance that it was written and co-produced with Pharrell, eh?

Anyway, I didn’t mean to nitpick. This just struck me. Please post more photos of German Madame X in lederhoesen, @Danmacevents!! 😍 😊

2 hours ago, Voguerista said:

Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the Madonna albums that take our breath away. 

:wow: :inlove:

And I’m BREATHLESS.

(pun intended because i’m corny like dat.)

:kiss2: @Voguerista

1 hour ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

You don't deserve 4 stars for nuggets.

umm, Madonna does. I love nuggets? 

I also would give @Kurt420 4 stars for his nuggets?

What did I just say? Is something wrong with me?!

2 hours ago, peter said:

:wow: :inlove:

And I’m BREATHLESS.

(pun intended because i’m corny like dat.)

:kiss2: @Voguerista

Awww me too. Haha good one. And Smooches right back at ya. @peter!!  Xxxxxx

Madonna has never given us a bad album.  She has only made bad songs.  Her albums, even the worst of them, are never disposable.  And when she is on, nobody can touch her.    She is infinitely more interesting than every other wannabe because she by nature is both the prom queen in the spotlight and the punk kid on the fringe.  That duality just bleeds through her collective work.  

6 hours ago, Steve said:

The underrated underdog is usually shaded and counted out but survives and thrives through her art.

1CDB87C1-B434-4EEF-8918-D5B7387BA80F.jpeg

Bye bye Bruce

It was fun

4 hours ago, peter said:

You were a younger fan when this happened, so you can be forgiven for not really having the context ... I completely agree with what you’re saying here, and if your comment was responding to @Kurt420 at all, I am sure I can safely say he agrees with you, too. It’s just that, at the time, we knew AL (the album) was completely produced with Mirwais, and that was the first time she’d done that. (TB and LAP were mixes of Bray and Leonard.) So it is understandable that some fans, going in, had a little preconceived notion of how AL might come out (e.g., as Music Part II). Sometimes it takes us a while to learn our lessons and realize how Madonna will not always be predictable, even when we “know” facts about a project (not just have opinions or preferences). Who, for example, would have guessed what “Hey, You” would sound like if it had been known in advance that it was written and co-produced with Pharrell, eh?

Anyway, I didn’t mean to nitpick. This just struck me. Please post more photos of German Madame X in lederhoesen, @Danmacevents!! 😍 😊

Ah gotcha! Ah yes I forget hey you was produced by pharell. In fact I forget about hey you 😂😂 I don't have any more I don't think hahaa... I'll drag them out again at some point no doubt 😏

“Yet Madame X is admirably bizarre, all you can do is stand back and watch the girl go.”Rob Sheffield

Maybe Rob couldn’t fit in those two other stars into that hat.                                                            

Or he’s the kind of man who after a thoroughly enjoyable meal, commends the chef and the service, yet leaves no tip.

D71cskGXoAcf3Qa.thumb.jpg.de43dffea8f121836f8386fe5b42d215.jpg

Good review in the French newspaper Marianne comparing the album to what she's done best, making a reference to AL and RoL. The article finishes by saying : "You won't shut up Queen M. And it's for the best."

Edited by Onimalien