Eurovision (part 34939338 Zzzzzzzz....)

3 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Noticed that when it comes to the US media, hardly any mention of the bum notes on LAP...all attention is paid to the political nature of the performance, and the flags presented. And not overly negative, from what I've seen. Interesting.

This is one of the very rare times I applaud the US press for not jumping onto the bandwagon.....I'm truly surprised they didn't too as something like this would typically be like a little gift dropped from the heavens straight into their laps. Like you though, I've yet to come across anything criticizing the performance or even the message of the performance. The reporting I've seen is just covering it from the "Madonna does another controversial performance" angle. 

To think, a week ago I was disappointed America knew nothing of a Eurovision.....today though? Thank God for "US ignorance and arrogance" for once. :lol:

Literally the WHOLE world having fun, drinking, gathering with friends to watch Eurovision:

Image result for party gif

US:

Image result for mariah i don't know her gif

11 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

This is one of the very rare times I applaud the US press for not jumping onto the bandwagon.....I'm truly surprised they didn't too as something like this would typically be like a little gift dropped from the heavens straight into their laps. Like you though, I've yet to come across anything criticizing the performance or even the message of the performance. The reporting I've seen is just covering it from the "Madonna does another controversial performance" angle. 

To think, a week ago I was disappointed America knew nothing of a Eurovision.....today though? Thank God for "US ignorance and arrogance" for once. :lol:

Literally the WHOLE world having fun, drinking, gathering with friends to watch Eurovision:

Image result for party gif

US:

Image result for mariah i don't know her gif

I know.  I was expecting far worse from the good ol' US of A. Knowing how we are...

I had never heard of 'Eurovision' until just, like, a year or so ago. I think it was aired on Logo once, and that was it.

I've been going to bed crying every night since saturday because the hate and the mob mentality is getting me down..we need this album to be number 1 so we can lift madonna and each other up

2 hours ago, dollhouse said:

I think many were put off by the second song too. The fact it was heavily autotuned by artistic choice and dark and gloomy subject didnt exactly help. 

This is something that madonna is very stubborn about. As a fan, I love anything she does. But the audience here was literally the biggest she has ever had and she needed to match the performance to the audience. What added value is there to play a new, dark, gloomy song with a ghetto rapper in the most camp song contest in the world? At one point, the background video in Future made me feel like I was in the fiery pits of hell! The gas masks were scary! I think two uptempo EIGHTIES songs plus a bit of a new song would be great.

No one cares about Future. Even the 3.5 minutes she spent on Gimme All Your Love in the Superbowl was too much. I get that she prefers to showcase her new stuff, but to an audience of 200 million, it's totally pointless. 

Just imagine that someone like Bon Jovi would have taken that stage. I'm a casual fan that never purchased any of their albums. As a casual TV viewer, I'd be thrilled with a 3 song set of Living on a Prayer, Bed of Rose's and It's My Life. It would even convince me to purchase a concert ticket. Any new stuff they sing would be a total bore. 

4 hours ago, trevorhog said:

If i was on this talk show, i would have gone bat shit crazy... lol. When the one guy says “Her intention is to use freedom of expression as a way to make money” and the other starts frustratedly saying “How do you know what her intention is???” Props to that guy

His name is matt cain and we need to support his book madonna of bolton

7 minutes ago, whyme? said:

This is something that madonna is very stubborn about. As a fan, I love anything she does. But the audience here was literally the biggest she has ever had and she needed to match the performance to the audience. What added value is there to play a new, dark, gloomy song with a ghetto rapper in the most camp song contest in the world? At one point, the background video in Future made me feel like I was in the fiery pits of hell! The gas masks were scary! I think two uptempo old songs plus a bit of a new song would be great.

No one cares about Future. Even the 3.5 minutes she spent on Gimme All Your Love in the Superbowl was too much. I get that she prefers to showcase her new stuff, but to an audience of 200 million, it's totally pointless. 

Just imagine that someone like Bon Jovi would have taken that stage. I'm a casual fan that never purchased any of their albums. As a casual TV viewer, I'd be thrilled with a 3 song set of Living on a Prayer, Bed of Rose's and It's My Life. It would even convince me to purchase a concert ticket. Any new stuff they sing would be a total bore. 

I think it would have mattered if the new song was smth like HU. Had it been it, playing it on Eurovision would have propelled it to N1 all around the world (minus USA). So all would have depended on the song itself in my view. Future is a song I really enjoy, but I dont think its suited for EU. I think a new, very strong dance song would have worked. As a whole, I liked the performance minus the beginning of LAP. She sounded bad and I dont think she ever sounded bad on LAP. I enjoyed Future performance, but I could understand why it was not everyones favourite.

9 minutes ago, elijah said:

I think it would have mattered if the new song was smth like HU. Had it been it, playing it on Eurovision would have propelled it to N1 all around the world (minus USA). So all would have depended on the song itself in my view. Future is a song I really enjoy, but I dont think its suited for EU. I think a new, very strong dance song would have worked. As a whole, I liked the performance minus the beginning of LAP. She sounded bad and I dont think she ever sounded bad on LAP. I enjoyed Future performance, but I could understand why it was not everyones favourite.

None of it was suited for the Eurovision the apocalyptic theme, gas masks, a spoken interlude that made no sense whatsoever, the heavy costumes.

With the benefit of the messages landing and repeat viewings it makes sense but for a Eurovision viewer who will only see M once and not re visit the performance it was far to hard edged to enjoy or consume. 

Look the debate isn't as simple as why didn't she take a disco song there like Hung Up but Future Is not instant love and M chose to do as much as she could to hammer home the hard political message in the few minutes she has then try and get the audience both in the arena and at home involved in her performance. 

In the context of an M tour this conceptual performance would of been reviewed by fans/critics/press very differently, for 8 minutes on stage during the Eurovision it was never ever going to be enjoyable for the masses. But now I've had time to think about it obviously Madonna wasn't interested in that she played to do the message and cause the controversy. 

FairPlay. She's not further cemented her reputation as a showtopping musician, she's cemented her reputation as being a controversial artist.

1 out of 2 ain't bad.....but she could of ticked both boxes if she really wanted to. 

À video montage of her buffets hits, thon she arrivés with like à prayer (BAT version), La isla bonita, medellin, music and hungup all in 8 minutes, with a collorfull and energic performance. Playback (who cares). She would have sell a lot of tickets, being in everybody radar and we all would be Happy.

Madonna planning this shit knowin damn good and well people thinkin they're about to get a throwback, discofied version of Hung Up

Image result for madonna grin gif

Sorry but now that the shock of the relentless abuse is over, I find it hilarious that she somehow found a way to incorporate the apocalypse (gas masks and all) into this joyous event. Only Madonna. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Monkey said:

À video montage of her buffets hits, thon she arrivés with like à prayer (BAT version), La isla bonita, medellin, music and hungup all in 8 minutes, with a collorfull and energic performance. Playback (who cares). She would have sell a lot of tickets, being in everybody radar and we all would be Happy.

There's not a lot of tickets to sell anyways this time shes notdoing an arena tour.

There doesn't need to be a surge of interest from the public the theatre tour in my view is a tour designed for hardcore fans not the general public.

If this was the eve of the MDNA tour she would be in trouble, but she doesn't need to think about flogging that amount of tickets this time so in that context it doesn't matter that the performance has tarnished the most of the general publics view in Europe (ones who care)of her capability as a live performer. 

4 minutes ago, Confessit said:

There's not a lot of tickets to sell anyways this time shes notdoing an arena tour.

There doesn't need to be a surge of interest from the public the theatre tour in my view is a tour designed for hardcore fans not the general public.

If this was the eve of the MDNA tour she would be in trouble, but she doesn't need to think about flogging that amount of tickets this time so in that context it doesn't matter that the performance has tarnished the most of the general publics view in Europe (ones who care)of her capability as a live performer. 

It's a miracle you understood my english! damn french automatic corrector 🤣🤣🤣

42 minutes ago, Monkey said:

This.

The purpose is to entertain everyone and make everyone realize you're the best fucking pop star that ever lived. She's not getting younger and there will be fewer opportunities to do that.  

Also, it would make a huge difference if she would smile:))) she did that a lot in Sticky and Sweet, and it really makes the crowd happy too!

2 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Anyone blaming monitors or heavy costumes is totally deluded and obviously just making excuses. She’s obviously surrounded by yes men and has slacked off with her vocal training which is a shame for a professional singer. The muscles that enable you to sing are just like any other muscles in the body, if you don’t use it - you lose it.

- monitor, earpiece, whatever device 

- nervousness

- sickness

- "rehearsing too much"

- stairs

- heavy costumes

- "Every performer had a bad day"

- "So Madonna is not allowed to have one bad day? Okay she hit some bum notes but please get over yourself. It is HER career. Take it or leave it!"

:gross: Oh dear. 

while some of you are discussing what she should have done... it's too late now. I don't think people in the us quite get it (I hope they won't need to get it), im afraid of the long term effect. im really wondering if madonnas career could actually be over.. it's a blessing that we have the theatre tour where the main focus should be on the music, so I hope she gets vocal training or any other help she may need.. but another part of me fears that she has awful people around her who will just tell her to keep doing what she's doing, that she's fighting a battle and will win in the end so they won't be fired.. I really hope she changes things drastically.

Just being brutally honest here, we all know her live vocals have been hit or miss for her entire career. That's no secret at all. I'm curious why this was a tipping point for some fans? Not the press, they've done the "Madonna can't sing" thing since day one in some capacity. It's just loud this time because it was a big event. But for her fans, why after an entire career of having hit or miss live vocals was this the point where she needs to "do something about it"?

9 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Just being brutally honest here, we all know her live vocals have been hit or miss for her entire career. That's no secret at all. I'm curious why this was a tipping point for some fans? Not the press, they've done the "Madonna can't sing" thing since day one in some capacity. It's just loud this time because it was a big event. But for her fans, why after an entire career of having hit or miss live vocals was this the point where she needs to "do something about it"?

mostly the people who make her music flat, who edit her vocals horribly for live concerts (only confessions was sort of okay, but I prefer the unaltered live vocals), as fans famously put it, the Casio 'band' on her tour.. mike dean smoking joints and working with amateur software fixing things last minute. (which he did), they seem careless.. and the voice expert (the real one with the brown hair), mentioned something interesting about her being out of breath.. perhaps something is up, I don't know

1 hour ago, JWAD said:

This was the worst part of the whole thing. Blowing fire, it was beyond cringe.

You missed the point! She is describing how war can knock everyone down like a wind. She’s saying that if we don’t wake up, we will destroy ourselves. How is that cringe?? That is a very important and a deep message that needs to be said!  

1 hour ago, Danmacevents said:

Maybe we will hear her side of the story when she does UK promo.

She's probably just going to rehearse for the tour now. She probably thought Eurovision would cut it, promo wise. I hope she has some interviews lined up and addresses the criticism but in a humourous way like the hydrangeas incident. 

10 minutes ago, Nikki said:

while some of you are discussing what she should have done... it's too late now. I don't think people in the us quite get it (I hope they won't need to get it), im afraid of the long term effect. im really wondering if madonnas career could actually be over.. it's a blessing that we have the theatre tour where the main focus should be on the music, so I hope she gets vocal training or any other help she may need.. but another part of me fears that she has awful people around her who will just tell her to keep doing what she's doing, that she's fighting a battle and will win in the end so they won't be fired.. I really hope she changes things drastically.

Her career is not over. It's true though that the idea that she's got old and she's not as before is now fixed. 

But this could be for the best. In my opinion (this is a VERY personal opinion) Madonna got too comfortable. It's true that she's experimenting a lot and searching for new sounds but it's been too long since a very powerful single. Choosing a first single based on how to present a character? Performing zero singles at the most popular event one Europe? Random decisions. 

She may turn the tide delivering the goods. She has millions of people eager to enjoy her music if the song has the powerful Madonna touch. 

This has been my opinion for years. If she wants to experiment and all that is fine. But there's consequences. 

6 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

You missed the point! She is describing how war can knock everyone down like a wind. She’s saying that if we don’t wake up, we will destroy ourselves. How is that cringe?? That is a very important and a deep message that needs to be said!  

I did get the point of it but the choreography, sound effects and the execution of it was not good. This was the cringe part not the message. I love the message of the whole performance.

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

Her career is not over. It's true though that the idea that she's got old and she's not as before is now fixed. 

But this could be for the best. In my opinion (this is a VERY personal opinion) Madonna got too comfortable. It's true that she's experimenting a lot and searching for new sounds but it's been too long since a very powerful single. Choosing a first single based on how to present a character? Performing zero singles at the most popular event one Europe? Random decisions. 

She may turn the tide delivering the goods. She has millions of people eager to enjoy her music if the song has the powerful Madonna touch. 

This has been my opinion for years. If she wants to experiment and all that is fine. But there's consequences. 

and that's what ive been hoping for for a while.. maybe this will make her change her mind.. but im not sure.. yesterday on the radio they said 'future' is her new single and played it, but it sounds horrible and won't do anything for the album. meanwhile, we could have something lovely (dark ballet sounds good so far), and we don't get it because like you said, she thinks about the message, the character.. not how the song sounds

Just now, Nikki said:

mostly the people who make her music flat, who edit her vocals horribly for live concerts (only confessions was sort of okay, but I prefer the unaltered live vocals), as fans famously put it, the Casio 'band' on her tour.. mike dean smoking joints and working with amateur software fixing things last minute. (which he did), they seem careless

Well, I totally agree in regard to her "(Casio) band" and have thought that for years......even as far back as Confessions I thought her band had a flat, karaoke-ish vibe to it. It's just curious to me that all of these things that have been happening for years and years....literally decades have now come to a head. I remember watching Ciao Italia VHS as a kid and my Mom screaming from the kitchen to please turn it down because she thought her voice sounded terrible....lol....this just feels like such old news to me, literally nothing has changed....lol....that's why I'm questioning, why now?

Just now, JWAD said:

I did get the point of it but the choreography, sound effects and the execution of it was not good. This was the cringe part not the message.

Interesting you say that because that was actually my favorite part. But ok.