Eurovision (part 34939338 Zzzzzzzz....)

5 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I'd rather have sex with a corpse than have to sit through one of the YouTube coaches giving their expert opinion on Eurovision. 

That’s hot! And really gross... Lol Madonna would have said “I’d rather get ran over by a train” 😂

7 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Don’t watch it. She doesn’t give a constructive review or an analysis. She just bashes Madonna and acts all apologetic about it. Very pretentious. 

No, she was just extremely shocked by the bad vocals. I understand her position. 

16 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

:lmao:

I have yet to watch one of her reviews. The screencaps of her face always remind me of an elementary school music teacher...idk why. :lol:

She is a casual fan of Madonna and she even praised the Erotica album, if I recall correctly. 

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

No, she was just extremely shocked by the bad vocals. I understand her position. 

Please, as a vocal coach, she should have given a constructive analysis on what may have been the reason M sang the way she sang. Why else would she make that video? Everyone knows that this wasn’t M’s best singing without her stupid video. But whatever. 

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

She is a casual fan of Madonna and she even praised the Erotica album, if I recall correctly. 

Yeah, reading through the comments in her thread in General Madonna, it does seem she has a little love for M.

I just think that gif that @LVX posted was funny because I haven't watched any of her vids but that face she makes is EXACTLY what I'd expect from her just by seeing her face in the screen caps. :lol: I can imagine for someone that's really into the technicalities when it comes to vocals would have many of those moments when reviewing some of M's live performances from over the years.

I'll get around to watching one of her vids one of these days.

51 minutes ago, Sasori84 said:

As someone said in an earlier post, the GP had put Madame X aside, thinking she had almost stopped making music. This is the first time, after the fall @ the Brits, that Madonna is the main topic of discussion and the main dish for haters' lunch. They were just waiting for something like this to happen and took the chance to let their ancient vitriol flow... This is just part of a well known cycle (Erotica/Sex book anyone?), the only difference being the rise of social media and the constant need to spit on anything that comes with it.

Nowadays, everyone feels entitled to leave an immediate comment on every subject, even the ones that need a specific knowledge. No research, no curiosity, just the impulse to have a say in the matter, and that's easy to do hiding behind a monitor. 

IMO this magnifies the backlash and our perception of it, given that the LAP performance has been truly pretty unfortunate. 

The artistic concept was there (even as a Met Gala rehash), vocodered Future was just splendid (apart from Quavo), the LAP execution a tad below expectations.

Being a trained singer myself, I tend to think it's been a combination of both technical issues with mic and in-ear monitors and lack of vocal warm-up. If you notice, some notes are sung in "glissando" , meaning that she's trying to adjust the tune after a flat start. This could confirm a real problem with monitors. On the other hand, the inconstancy of her vibrato (when she gets it right, it's wonderful) shows lack of vocal practice before the performance. That said, it wasn't the disaster they're claiming it to be. 

Leaving technicalities aside, there's also something really positive: in specific frames, her tone is thicker, richer than usual, especially in the deep range. Her voice shows a new maturity and that's a gift. It just needs more work and I'm sure it will be done just in time for the tour. 

Also, the continuous talk is working as a mean to spread the real message of the performance and raise awareness about new music from M. Haters and GP are going to stream the album for sure, even if only out of curiosity and in search of something to criticize...And I'm sure they'll find a pretty solid record, with little space for critics. 

So, let's just wait a little bit more and see what happens: the tide will start to turn #soon! 

Terrific post! 

2 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Terrific post! 

Thank u 😍! I usually don't post but read everything.. This time I wanted to share my opinion, giving a different and positive perspective to those who have been suffering since Saturday night. 

3 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Yeah, reading through the comments in her thread in General Madonna, it does seem she has a little love for M.

I just think that gif that @LVX posted was funny because I haven't watched any of her vids but that face she makes is EXACTLY what I'd expect from her just by seeing her face in the screen caps. :lol: I can imagine for someone that's really into the technicalities when it comes to vocals would have many of those moments when reviewing some of M's live performances from over the years.

I'll get around to watching one of her vids one of these days.

Kim said it best: In the LAP video, she (I don't even remember her name, I don't care, she's not Jesus or MADONNA) represented the collective "Oh Dear" reaction of our friends and families who remember Madonna, who like Madonna, but what they heard was ... : - / 

🕺🕺💃💃

Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2019/05/20/why-madonna-may-have-last-commercial-laugh-over-eurovision-critics/

May 20, 2019,7:30 pm

Why Madonna May Have Last Commercial Laugh Over Eurovision Critics

Mark Beech, Contributor

Hollywood & Entertainment

Madonna – the best-selling female recording artist of all time – may well have the last commercial laugh in 2019. Some critics wrote the star off this weekend after her Eurovision performance, and said that many younger pretenders now have captured her pop crown.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Madonna, who is 60, is known for her spectacular album launches and is on the countdown to her 14th studio collection, Madame X, due out on June 14. After criticism talking of a botched comeback, her loyal fans maintained that she doesn’t have comebacks because she has never been away and is better than ever.

Leave aside altogether Madonna’s decision to perform at the 64th annual Eurovision Song Contest; some critics were simply not impressed by her performance. Martin Belam, writing in The Guardian, said that Madonna’s vocals on her 1989 hit “Like A Prayer” were “pitchy” and her new song “Future,” featuring U.S. rapper Quavo, was lackluster. Belham concluded: “Madonna must be questioning whether it was worth it.”

The star sported a black outfit and X eyepatch during her performance, which was also criticized by some social-media writers who talked of a need for good auto-tuning. A YouTube video has now been released of the show with the BBC saying that some vocals were apparently cleaned up. Madonna, quoting her song “Music,” told the audience that music could make people come together – a remark variously seen at patronizingly obvious and important.

Some viewers were more appreciative, with a typical tweet saying “#Madonna may have sounded flat but she won my heart – being an artist is not always about having a perfect voice, but having something inspiring to say, and knowing how to deliver the message.”

Love her or hate her, Madonna’s income will be boosted by touring. The Madame X Tour currently has some 69 shows running from September this year through to February 2020. This is not on the scale of the Rebel Heart Tour in 2015 and 2016, which had 82 shows and grossed nearly $170 million. This time, the tour will take in theaters rather than large stadiums. This is the first time Madonna has played such venues on a tour since 1985. The income will still be substantial.

“The focus of much of media attention focuses on the release of new music,” Dr Iain Taylor, Lecturer in Music Industries at Birmingham City University in Britain, said in an interview. Particularly with Madonna, he said “much of the fan excitement appears to be much more focused on the accompanying tour. Revenues in current music industries are driven primarily by live music over record sales, and it’s important to remember that Madonna remains one of the top grossing live acts of all time, having grossed more than $1.3 billion in ticket sales over the course of her career.”

Madame X promises to be an ambitious project with Madonna developing her teenage nickname of “Madame X” into a chameleon-like character, who can be anything from a secret agent to nun, whore or a head of state.

The album’s lead single was “Medellín”, a duet with Colombian singer Maluma. The song’s chart performance did not live up to previous outings. It peaked at No. 16 in the US Dance Club Songs chart. This after a run of No. 1 singles on the same dance chart, such as “Living For Love,” “Ghosttown,” and “Bitch I’m Madonna,” all them being songs off the last album, Rebel Heart, from 2015.

Madonna fans will bite back and say nobody compared with their idol, and there is much to celebrate in her stellar career including 300 million records sold worldwide, according to The Guinness Book of Records. She has the most No. 1s on the Billboard charts. Still, it is some years since her singles reached the upper reaches of the Billboard Hot 100. As the years have gone on, media commentators have dubbed many newer commercial female stars as being “the new Madonna” – from Lady Gaga to Taylor Swift.

Iain Taylor pointed out: “Taylor Swift had the top-grossing tour in the States last year, and is not too far from having grossed $1 billion in sales herself over the comparatively short length of her career. With fan spending, and artist income, so dominated by the live music experience, perhaps our attention as commentators shouldn’t really be driven by albums and singles any more, and instead focus more on the tours, performances, and experiences which, ultimately, pay for them.”

The Material Girl’s net worth was recently calculated by Forbes at $590 million, placing her 36 among America’s wealthiest self-made women. Her average gross per tour stop over three years was put at more than $3 million. Given the smaller venues this time, the takings will be lower, though some fans will be prepared to pay premiums to see her in more intimate venues. Madonna has been written off commercially many times before, and she has survived.

Edited by Ven Conmigo

23 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

She had this expression on her even before Madonna opened her mouth

i watched this vocal coach singing video.... sorry... she can't sing... how can she be a vocal coach? 

Guest CzarnaWisnia
24 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

because of the music

1 hour ago, Sasori84 said:

Leaving technicalities aside, there's also something really positive: in specific frames, her tone is thicker, richer than usual, especially in the deep range. Her voice shows a new maturity and that's a gift. It just needs more work and I'm sure it will be done just in time for the tour. 

Your whole post is great btw!

I was a bit nervous to say something good about her voice from that performance in this thread because it may cause trouble but that actually struck me too on certain parts. I noticed a richness to her voice that sounded pleasant to my ears. It doesn't take away from where she slipped up but yeah, all hope is not gone after all! lol 

2 minutes ago, Andrewleybourne said:

Can anyone tell me if the contestants were actually singing completely live?

I’ve heard that a lot of them were lipsynching 

3 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Your whole post is great btw!

I was a bit nervous to say something good about her voice from that performance in this thread because it may cause trouble but that actually struck me too on certain parts. I noticed a richness to her voice that sounded pleasant to my ears. It doesn't take away from where she slipped up but yeah, all hope is not gone after all! lol 

Madame X is a singer and needs to take care of her voice a little bit more 😉

9 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Kim said it best: In the LAP video, she (I don't even remember her name, I don't care, she's not Jesus or MADONNA) represented the collective "Oh Dear" reaction of our friends and families who remember Madonna, who like Madonna, but what they heard was ... : - / 

That's unfortunate. 😞

And apparently the only rational option for those disappointed souls that haven't seen her perform for a while was to completely rip her apart from head to toe.

Reasonable I suppose. :lol:

1 minute ago, LVX said:

That's strictly forbidden.

I meant the singers who weren’t competing 

3 minutes ago, Andrewleybourne said:

Can anyone tell me if the contestants were actually singing completely live?

From what I remember, the guy who performed with the robotic arms had a lot of help from backup singers. Also, Netta was miming her new song... 

38 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

That’s hot! And really gross... Lol Madonna would have said “I’d rather get ran over by a train” 😂

🤣Too true pet.

17 minutes ago, smirnoff_ice said:

🕺🕺💃💃

Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2019/05/20/why-madonna-may-have-last-commercial-laugh-over-eurovision-critics/

May 20, 2019,7:30 pm

Why Madonna May Have Last Commercial Laugh Over Eurovision Critics

Mark Beech, Contributor

Hollywood & Entertainment

Madonna – the best-selling female recording artist of all time – may well have the last commercial laugh in 2019. Some critics wrote the star off this weekend after her Eurovision performance, and said that many younger pretenders now have captured her pop crown.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Madonna, who is 60, is known for her spectacular album launches and is on the countdown to her 14th studio collection, Madame X, due out on June 14. After criticism talking of a botched comeback, her loyal fans maintained that she doesn’t have comebacks because she has never been away and is better than ever.

Leave aside altogether Madonna’s decision to perform at the 64th annual Eurovision Song Contest; some critics were simply not impressed by her performance. Martin Belam, writing in The Guardian, said that Madonna’s vocals on her 1989 hit “Like A Prayer” were “pitchy” and her new song “Future,” featuring U.S. rapper Quavo, was lackluster. Belham concluded: “Madonna must be questioning whether it was worth it.”

The star sported a black outfit and X eyepatch during her performance, which was also criticized by some social-media writers who talked of a need for good auto-tuning. A YouTube video has now been released of the show with the BBC saying that some vocals were apparently cleaned up. Madonna, quoting her song “Music,” told the audience that music could make people come together – a remark variously seen at patronizingly obvious and important.

Some viewers were more appreciative, with a typical tweet saying “#Madonna may have sounded flat but she won my heart – being an artist is not always about having a perfect voice, but having something inspiring to say, and knowing how to deliver the message.”

Love her or hate her, Madonna’s income will be boosted by touring. The Madame X Tour currently has some 69 shows running from September this year through to February 2020. This is not on the scale of the Rebel Heart Tour in 2015 and 2016, which had 82 shows and grossed nearly $170 million. This time, the tour will take in theaters rather than large stadiums. This is the first time Madonna has played such venues on a tour since 1985. The income will still be substantial.

“The focus of much of media attention focuses on the release of new music,” Dr Iain Taylor, Lecturer in Music Industries at Birmingham City University in Britain, said in an interview. Particularly with Madonna, he said “much of the fan excitement appears to be much more focused on the accompanying tour. Revenues in current music industries are driven primarily by live music over record sales, and it’s important to remember that Madonna remains one of the top grossing live acts of all time, having grossed more than $1.3 billion in ticket sales over the course of her career.”

Madame X promises to be an ambitious project with Madonna developing her teenage nickname of “Madame X” into a chameleon-like character, who can be anything from a secret agent to nun, whore or a head of state.

The album’s lead single was “Medellín”, a duet with Colombian singer Maluma. The song’s chart performance did not live up to previous outings. It peaked at No. 16 in the US Dance Club Songs chart. This after a run of No. 1 singles on the same dance chart, such as “Living For Love,” “Ghosttown,” and “Bitch I’m Madonna,” all them being songs off the last album, Rebel Heart, from 2015.

Madonna fans will bite back and say nobody compared with their idol, and there is much to celebrate in her stellar career including 300 million records sold worldwide, according to The Guinness Book of Records. She has the most No. 1s on the Billboard charts. Still, it is some years since her singles reached the upper reaches of the Billboard Hot 100. As the years have gone on, media commentators have dubbed many newer commercial female stars as being “the new Madonna” – from Lady Gaga to Taylor Swift.

Iain Taylor pointed out: “Taylor Swift had the top-grossing tour in the States last year, and is not too far from having grossed $1 billion in sales herself over the comparatively short length of her career. With fan spending, and artist income, so dominated by the live music experience, perhaps our attention as commentators shouldn’t really be driven by albums and singles any more, and instead focus more on the tours, performances, and experiences which, ultimately, pay for them.”

The Material Girl’s net worth was recently calculated by Forbes at $590 million, placing her 36 among America’s wealthiest self-made women. Her average gross per tour stop over three years was put at more than $3 million. Given the smaller venues this time, the takings will be lower, though some fans will be prepared to pay premiums to see her in more intimate venues. Madonna has been written off commercially many times before, and she has survived.

A rather polorising article indeed. Passive agressive rather than agressive from Forbes. 

It's odd that they have centered the article on the theratre tour and grosses as the Madame X tour won't be on those kind of level this time, it will be a small revenue tour.

The article then just bigs up Swift. But I like the articles closing line that she's a survivor. My God is that true.

7 minutes ago, Sasori84 said:

From what I remember, the guy who performed with the robotic arms had a lot of help from backup singers. Also, Netta was miming her new song... 

And our dear M was singing completely live with no back up or instrumentation

59 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

Yeah, I couldn’t care less about this random’s ‘expert opinion’. Seems some people are passionately obsessed about crapping on M about this Eurovision terrorist attack that has crashed the stock market, beating the dead horse over and over. That’s not my scene and never will be. 

25 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

I’ve heard that a lot of them were lipsynching 

Not true. Eurovision is completely live. You can have backing vocals of course. In fact, Donna Delory would have done wonders last Saturday.