Eurovision (part 34939338 Zzzzzzzz....)

6 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Her career is not over. It's true though that the idea that she's got old and she's not as before is now fixed. 

But this could be for the best. In my opinion (this is a VERY personal opinion) Madonna got too comfortable. It's true that she's experimenting a lot and searching for new sounds but it's been too long since a very powerful single. Choosing a first single based on how to present a character? Performing zero singles at the most popular event one Europe? Random decisions. 

She may turn the tide delivering the goods. She has millions of people eager to enjoy her music if the song has the powerful Madonna touch. 

This has been my opinion for years. If she wants to experiment and all that is fine. But there's consequences. 

What do you think she’s gonna do now? We haven’t heard from her all day! Nothing in her Instagram story for a whole 24 hours now. I’m starting to freak out! I hope she’s ok emotionally and I hope this hate virtually from every direction doesn’t crush her spirit. 

Just now, Kurt420 said:

Well, I totally agree in regard to her "(Casio) band" and have thought that for years......even as far back as Confessions I thought her band had a flat, karaoke-ish vibe to it. It's just curious to me that all of these things that have been happening for years and years....literally decades have now come to a head. I remember watching Ciao Italia VHS as a kid and my Mom screaming from the kitchen to please turn it down because she thought her voice sounded terrible....lol....this just feels like such old news to me, literally nothing has changed....lol....that's why I'm questioning, why now?

that's why I first thought it wouldn't be so dramatic.. people say she can't sing anyway.. but perhaps we have also been fooled and trapped by the media. we know she's not the best singer, but she's had beautiful moments and has been underrated. perhaps some people were on the fence? there's also new generations that may not be aware of her sometimes weaker voice.. the "madonna can't sing" thing has been something the media likes to spread though.. it fits their narrative of sleeping her way to the top

3 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

What do you think she’s gonna do now? We haven’t heard from her all day! Nothing in her Instagram story for a whole 24 hours now. I’m starting to freak out! I hope she’s ok emotionally and I hope this hate virtually from every direction doesn’t crush her spirit. 

I think this is sweet. ❤️ I'm sure Madonna is just fine though. She's been called a bad singer her entire career. She was aware enough of it to comment on it in TOD way back in 1990. I honestly don't think she would've posted the performance to her page at all if she were that concerned with it.

5 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

She's ok but I hope she's got some big songs in the album. Just like after Erótica she  changed plans and instead of Bad Girl she released Deeper and Deeper or after American Life she went all glam ande filmed Hollywood, it's time for a big song imo. Dark Ballet sounds experimental. I'm not sure it suits. 

We don't know her strategy for the album, tbqh. The release seems random but maybe she has a plan. Not pushing either Medellin or Crave is weird but it's her plan. We'll know in the long run. 

7 minutes ago, Nikki said:

that's why I first thought it wouldn't be so dramatic.. people say she can't sing anyway.. but perhaps we have also been fooled and trapped by the media. we know she's not the best singer, but she's had beautiful moments and has been underrated. perhaps some people were on the fence? there's also new generations that may not be aware of her sometimes weaker voice.. the "madonna can't sing" thing has been something the media likes to spread though.. it fits their narrative of sleeping her way to the top

Every time they said that she had a monster hit. Had she sang badly Hung Up in 2005 wouldn't have mattered so much. This time it's different. 

Her musical director should have said to her to adapt the arrangement to her voice. Saying it was too high for her and she didnt sounds good. That's what a musical director is there for to maker her sounds good. He did the opposite.

43 minutes ago, acko said:

WATCH THIS AND GIVE IT A LIKE ..even if u don't understand it.

@Ven Conmigo I know I'm annoying, but this is worth a tweet.

Sure but what is the gist of what he’s saying?

As someone said in an earlier post, the GP had put Madame X aside, thinking she had almost stopped making music. This is the first time, after the fall @ the Brits, that Madonna is the main topic of discussion and the main dish for haters' lunch. They were just waiting for something like this to happen and took the chance to let their ancient vitriol flow... This is just part of a well known cycle (Erotica/Sex book anyone?), the only difference being the rise of social media and the constant need to spit on anything that comes with it.

Nowadays, everyone feels entitled to leave an immediate comment on every subject, even the ones that need a specific knowledge. No research, no curiosity, just the impulse to have a say in the matter, and that's easy to do hiding behind a monitor. 

IMO this magnifies the backlash and our perception of it, given that the LAP performance has been truly pretty unfortunate. 

The artistic concept was there (even as a Met Gala rehash), vocodered Future was just splendid (apart from Quavo), the LAP execution a tad below expectations.

Being a trained singer myself, I tend to think it's been a combination of both technical issues with mic and in-ear monitors and lack of vocal warm-up. If you notice, some notes are sung in "glissando" , meaning that she's trying to adjust the tune after a flat start. This could confirm a real problem with monitors. On the other hand, the inconstancy of her vibrato (when she gets it right, it's wonderful) shows lack of vocal practice before the performance. That said, it wasn't the disaster they're claiming it to be. 

Leaving technicalities aside, there's also something really positive: in specific frames, her tone is thicker, richer than usual, especially in the deep range. Her voice shows a new maturity and that's a gift. It just needs more work and I'm sure it will be done just in time for the tour. 

Also, the continuous talk is working as a mean to spread the real message of the performance and raise awareness about new music from M. Haters and GP are going to stream the album for sure, even if only out of curiosity and in search of something to criticize...And I'm sure they'll find a pretty solid record, with little space for critics. 

So, let's just wait a little bit more and see what happens: the tide will start to turn #soon! 

7 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Good point about the younger generations. Those that grew up in the "American Idol" era where vocal talent = octave range and how loud one can shout a song, probably have a hard time with someone like Madonna even on her best vocal day. At the end of the day though, Madonna didn't become the template of pop music solely because of her singing voice, that was just one piece of a big puzzle (versus someone like Mariah who was ONLY known because of her voice).....just as Bob Dylan didn't become a legendary, acclaimed singer/songwriter because of his voice. 

If she makes an statement about the performance, she will probably focus on the controversial part of it with the political statement, etc. But if she does, she's totally missing what the general public is complaining about. The political aspect for the most part fell on deaf ears with the media. 90% of comments were about the performance and vocals. The Iceland singers made a far more controversial political statement so the media focus was mostly on them on that aspect. 

8 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I think this is sweet. ❤️ I'm sure Madonna is just fine though. She's been called a bad singer her entire career. She was aware enough of it to comment on it in TOD way back in 1990. I honestly don't think she would've posted the performance to her page at all if she were that concerned with it.

Wow people dared to slam her singing that far back in the past!! I don’t get it. She has the most clearest and unique, gorgeous voice ever. Kurt, thank you for finding my post sweet. ♥️ I’m genuinely concerned. Love Madonna so much. 

7 minutes ago, karbatal said:

She's ok but I hope she's got some big songs in the album. Just like after Erótica she  changed plans and instead of Bad Girl she released Deeper and Deeper or after American Life she went all glam ande filmed Hollywood, it's time for a big song imo. Dark Ballet sounds experimental. I'm not sure it suits. 

We don't know her strategy for the album, tbqh. The release seems random but maybe she has a plan. Not pushing either Medellin or Crave is weird but it's her plan. We'll know in the long run. 

Ok this is some great info. I had no idea those changes took place. I always thought of Madonna as an artist who always has everything set in stone no matter what. I was wrong. And I’m happy about it. That means she can make some changes in the direction this era is going. Madonna always tends to lean towards darker interpretation of art, naturally. A prime example of that is the Beast Within video, very creative, very Madonna, but so damn dark. Even GGW video was a bit dark. Medellín also has dark undertones. Bitch I’m Madonna was the only recent video with a brighter, lighter change. She could pull off something similar before diving back into the dark side of Madame X. Something like Hollywood or Hung Up. That’d be amazing! 

7 minutes ago, Sasori84 said:

As someone said in an earlier post, the GP had put Madame X aside, thinking she had almost stopped making music. This is the first time, after the fall @ the Brits, that Madonna is the main topic of discussion and the main dish for haters' lunch. They were just waiting for something like this to happen and took the chance to let their ancient vitriol flow... This is just part of a well known cycle (Erotica/Sex book anyone?), the only difference being the rise of social media and the constant need to spit on anything that comes with it.

Nowadays, everyone feels entitled to leave an immediate comment on every subject, even the ones that need a specific knowledge. No research, no curiosity, just the impulse to have a say in the matter, and that's easy to do hiding behind a monitor. 

IMO this magnifies the backlash and our perception of it, given that the LAP performance has been truly pretty unfortunate. 

The artistic concept was there (even as a Met Gala rehash), vocodered Future was just splendid (apart from Quavo), the LAP execution a tad below expectations.

Being a trained singer myself, I tend to think it's been a combination of both technical issues with mic and in-ear monitors and lack of vocal warm-up. If you notice, some notes are sung in "glissando" , meaning that she's trying to adjust the tune after a flat start. This could confirm a real problem with monitors. On the other hand, the inconstancy of her vibrato (when she gets it right, it's wonderful) shows lack of vocal practice before the performance. That said, it wasn't the disaster they're claiming it to be. 

Leaving technicalities aside, there's also something really positive: in specific frames, her tone is thicker, richer than usual, especially in the deep range. Her voice shows a new maturity and that's a gift. It just needs more work and I'm sure it will be done just in time for the tour. 

Also, the continuous talk is working as a mean to spread the real message of the performance and raise awareness about new music from M. Haters and GP are going to stream the album for sure, even if only out of curiosity and in search of something to criticize...And I'm sure they'll find a pretty solid record, with little space for critics. 

So, let's just wait a little bit more and see what happens: the tide will start to turn #soon!

Great post!

2 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Wow people dared to slam her singing that far back in the past!! I don’t get it. She has the most clearest and unique, gorgeous voice ever. Kurt, thank you for finding my post sweet. ♥️ I’m genuinely concerned. Love Madonna so much. 

Oh, it's been since day one babe! lol Here's just an excerpt of a review from a Virgin Tour date:

Because the fact of the matter was that Madonna – backed by a competent but rather ordinary touring band – simply didn’t sing very well. Her intonation was atrocious; she sang sharp and she sang flat, and the combination of her unsure pitch and thin, quavery vocal timbre made the held notes at the end of her phrases sound like they were crawling off somewhere to die. In her high octave range, she had a more attractive sound, with just a smattering of street-corner edginess to it. But this woman needs to see a good vocal coach before she attempts another tour. And one hopes that the next time she performs here, she will have learned not to toss tambourines into the air unless she’s going to be able to catch them.

9 minutes ago, Sasori84 said:

Being a trained singer myself, I tend to think it's been a combination of both technical issues with mic and in-ear monitors and lack of vocal warm-up. If you notice, some notes are sung in "glissando" , meaning that she's trying to adjust the tune after a flat start.

Yes, she also didn’t have much support while performing LAP, gasping for air, taking short breaths in between the words, instead of taking fewer but longer breath to give her voice proper support. I donno who trained her vocals, but there is an obvious lack of vocal excercise. As if she hadn’t sang in a long time. 

4 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Oh, it's been since day one babe! lol Here's just an excerpt of a review from a Virgin Tour date:

Because the fact of the matter was that Madonna – backed by a competent but rather ordinary touring band – simply didn’t sing very well. Her intonation was atrocious; she sang sharp and she sang flat, and the combination of her unsure pitch and thin, quavery vocal timbre made the held notes at the end of her phrases sound like they were crawling off somewhere to die. In her high octave range, she had a more attractive sound, with just a smattering of street-corner edginess to it. But this woman needs to see a good vocal coach before she attempts another tour. And one hopes that the next time she performs here, she will have learned not to toss tambourines into the air unless she’s going to be able to catch them.

Damn! So rude! Wow! If only they knew Madonna was gonna end up ruling the world of pop!! Thank you for sharing this. I dunno why but I am not so worried anymore lol 

Just now, Katypatra said:

Yes, she also didn’t have much support while performing LAP, gasping for air, taking short breaths in between the words, instead of taking fewer but longer breath to give her voice proper support. I donno who trained her vocals, but there is an obvious lack of vocal excercise. As if she hadn’t sang in a long time. 

The armour could be also one of the reasons... 

Just now, Sasori84 said:

The armour could be also one of the reasons... 

And going down the stair. Try singing while taking steps down. It’s actually not that great lol 

Just now, Katypatra said:

And going down the stair. Try singing while taking steps down. It’s actually not that great lol 

I hope one day her autobiography will tell the tale 😅... 

Just now, Sasori84 said:

I hope one day her autobiography will tell the tale 😅... 

I was going down the steps, with only one eye, wearing an armor mathafuckers 😂

12 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Because the fact of the matter was that Madonna – backed by a competent but rather ordinary touring band – simply didn’t sing very well. Her intonation was atrocious; she sang sharp and she sang flat, and the combination of her unsure pitch and thin, quavery vocal timbre made the held notes at the end of her phrases sound like they were crawling off somewhere to die.

georgina.gif

1 minute ago, Katypatra said:

Damn! So rude! Wow! If only they knew Madonna was gonna end up ruling the world of pop!! Thank you for sharing this. I dunno why but I am not so worried anymore lol 

Oh and here's a link btw cuz I didn't put it in my initial post......someone may think I made that shit up just to defend M. :lmao: I didn't though! New York Times 6/7/85 if anyone needs to fact check behind me.

https://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2013/04/10/happy-28th-birthday-the-virgin-tour/

But yeah, that was a piece of a review from Robert Palmer and I'm sure he had no idea he was witnessing a brand new era of pop music being born before his very eyes. 

Happy you're feelin a little better about things! It really is all just a bunch of noise.....the same noise since 1985 and I'm sure we could dig up some from before that even. 

2 minutes ago, LVX said:

georgina.gif

:lmao:

I have yet to watch one of her reviews. The screencaps of her face always remind me of an elementary school music teacher...idk why. :lol:

1 minute ago, Confessit said:

I'd rather have sex with a corpse than have to sit through one of the YouTube coaches giving their expert opinion on Eurovision. 

I find her hilarious. :angel:

5 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

:lmao:

I have yet to watch one of her reviews. The screencaps of her face always remind me of an elementary school music teacher...idk why. :lol:

Don’t watch it. She doesn’t give a constructive review or an analysis. She just bashes Madonna and acts all apologetic about it. Very pretentious. 

40 minutes ago, ashtangi74 said:

Her musical director should have said to her to adapt the arrangement to her voice. Saying it was too high for her and she didnt sounds good. That's what a musical director is there for to maker her sounds good. He did the opposite.

Sabotage?