Eurovision (part 34939338 Zzzzzzzz....)

42 minutes ago, johndvd25 said:

Especially in this forum..so heartbreaking to see tons of pages of negativity. Why is that when she achieve something or had an amazing performance like in the BBMAs she get only a handful of pages. So sad..

To be honest, people here might have been negative, but almost everyone remained understanding of the circumstances, and made constructive criticisms, pointing out things they loved and things they hoped would have been better.

If you look out there, the negativity goes beyond that. People across the media and social media have been absolutely vicious, making truly horrible comments, and rejoicing on each others attacks at M.

So @Bill, I completely get what you are saying, and feel exactly the same. It’s been a torrent of abuse, which absolutely breaks my heart. I have tried to stay away from all of it, but has been almost impossible.

I will always love her though, in the good and in the bad times, and all this just makes me love her even more.

Piers Morgan and Elton John seem to be cut from the same cloth. They both harbor a vitriolic hatred toward M.  I just do not get it. There is no other celebrity that I know of that attracts this level disdain.  Is it too simplistic to say that they are two white males in positions of power who are massively threatened by her and what she represents?

In any case, I was also depressed after watching Eurovision. I wanted M to be the baddass that I know and love. I was anticipating the euphoria I felt after the Superbowl and the debut performance of Living For Love on the Grammys in the US (the opening of that took my breathe away btw). The Eurovision performance did not live up to what I know she is capable of. That night, I grieved for a bit while in bed before finally falling asleep. In the morning, I remembered that this is the same woman who got the shit kicked out of her after the Sex book and Erotica era and then gave us Evita and Ray of Light not long thereafter. I know that she will bounce back from this and figure it out.

This is part of the arch of her epic ongoing narrative, and her story is far from over.

I actually thought piers would be worse. that he'd be throwing insults saying she never sang any good and is no talent.. perhaps he's chill because she is getting hate anyway. the guy saying she's just doing it to make money annoyed me more. those people are so ignorant. a conceptual performance like that completely brushes off the idea of M just doing it for money. the people who only care about $ are those who follow the norm and do what gets them the money. and it's nice to hear the woman (even with her stupid black dress advice) saying M is a talented musician.

If i was on this talk show, i would have gone bat shit crazy... lol. When the one guy says “Her intention is to use freedom of expression as a way to make money” and the other starts frustratedly saying “How do you know what her intention is???” Props to that guy

Noticed that when it comes to the US media, hardly any mention of the bum notes on LAP...all attention is paid to the political nature of the performance, and the flags presented. And not overly negative, from what I've seen. Interesting.

31 minutes ago, Nikki said:

I actually thought piers would be worse. that he'd be throwing insults saying she never sang any good and is no talent.. perhaps he's chill because she is getting hate anyway. the guy saying she's just doing it to make money annoyed me more. those people are so ignorant. a conceptual performance like that completely brushes off the idea of M just doing it for money. the people who only care about $ are those who follow the norm and do what gets them the money. and it's nice to hear the woman (even with her stupid black dress advice) saying M is a talented musician.

He was on Twitter 

35 minutes ago, Ven Conmigo said:

He was on Twitter 

Why give this vile fucking hating asshole any attention?, he's been an OBSESSIVE hater for like 20 years now. FUCK HIM.

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

Noticed that when it comes to the US media, hardly any mention of the bum notes on LAP...all attention is paid to the political nature of the performance, and the flags presented. And not overly negative, from what I've seen. Interesting.

Wonder why  a few more media people from the US didn't capitalize  with all the controversy and some critical reviews. 

Perhaps, many of the writers are very empathetic toward the political  message, so they mostly covered the performance from that angle

I Really don't know., I'm just guessing at this point. lol

For effs sake... my God... Madonna's performance was no where on the level of Britney's Gimme More performance or Ashkey Simpson's lip synching, or Mariah Carey's New Year's Rockin Eve meltdown.  Why is the world having a GD meltdown...?  Oh yeah... she's Madonna.  A bit of rocky vocals but she did actually sing, a bit of a retread of an older performance and an unexpected political message at the most boring show on earth.  I actually watched the 26 finalists. The whole show was sh!t.  The music was all beyond bland and cheesy.  Madonna had a slightly off night but it really was interesting, the most interesting thing in the show.  Of special mention.... Piers Morgan... how is is show on CNN?  #justcurious

Edited by sul8323

Not sure if anyone else noticed, it's hard to keep up with this ongoing thread, but I thought she sounded a bit horse/rough in the interview before she performed & wondered how her voice was going to sound.

I haven't watched the interview again so wondering if anyone else noticed!?

2 minutes ago, ITG said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed, it's hard to keep up with this ongoing thread, but I thought she sounded a bit horse/rough in the interview before she performed & wondered how her voice was going to sound.

Exactly.... she over-rehearsed.  

3 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

But why would anyone care really? 

People don't like excuses and Madonna isn't much for receiving sympathy. Tech difficulties, nervousness, bad earpieces etc.....as far as most anyone is concerned, these are things that should've been addressed before she hit the stage.  The point is some people thought she sucked. The end. She doesn't need to backtrack. She's never done that with any other vocally off performance in her career and she's had many.

Besides, I'm sure you can see some of the reviews have nothing to do with her vocals whatsoever, many opportunists have made themselves visible over the past couple of days in the press so those people will just brush off any excuse she gives anyways.

👍

I think many were put off by the second song too. The fact it was heavily autotuned by artistic choice and dark and gloomy subject didnt exactly help. 

Eurovision is crap. Maybe 200 million watch it but it’s crap. Winners rarely make it. Exception ABBA. I wouldn’t have watched if Madonna wouldn’t have performed.

Move on already. Where is your resilience friends?

Look forward to the album and the tour.

40 minutes ago, ITG said:

Yup.. She didn't even try to sing "music makes the people come together" part. She could be over rehearsed, exhausted, and or exposed by the smoke from quavo n mike deen 🙄

19 minutes ago, Musicinferno said:

Eurovision is crap. Maybe 200 million watch it but it’s crap. Winners rarely make it. Exception ABBA. I wouldn’t have watched if Madonna wouldn’t have performed.

+1.. Yes please.

3 hours ago, Pink Elephants said:

In any case, I was also depressed after watching Eurovision. I wanted M to be the baddass that I know and love. I was anticipating the euphoria I felt after the Superbowl and the debut performance of Living For Love on the Grammys in the US (the opening of that took my breathe away btw). The Eurovision performance did not live up to what I know she is capable of. That night, I grieved for a bit while in bed before finally falling asleep. In the morning, I remembered that this is the same woman who got the shit kicked out of her after the Sex book and Erotica era and then gave us Evita and Ray of Light not long thereafter. I know that she will bounce back from this and figure it out.

My thoughts exactly! These past days have brought to mind the Erotica period when she also received massive negative attention. I really felt bad for Madonna watching LAP as I know how much effort she puts into everything she does. I was also looking forward to a new Superbowl, but things went wrong, and now she receives a beating. It's funny how these kind of disappointments still get to you, even after all these years. I think we've just all invested so much in her emotionally that her partial failure (Future was impressive) feels like a personal disappointment. And of course all the hatred affects us too. The blatant sexism and the "old and desperate" story line is the worst - and it's also ridiculous considering that people were calling her that already during the Erotica period...

I don't know what would be the best damage control strategy here. After the fall at the Brits I was expecting some kind of funny video from Madonna, making jokes about it. But she really doesn't do that - she didn't even want to see the fall afterwards. Humor could help, though, but I think it's too much to ask from her at this point.

Well, she will rise above it as always. "Freedom's what you choose to do with what's been done to you."

I’ve been so disappointed over this that I’ve completely avoided the forum and completely avoided commenting. There were some great moments, some amazing choreography and staging but her vocals were awful. Even during Future you can hear the auto tune struggling with the bum notes (btw was that auto tune or vocoder during Future?). I’m surprised no one has mentioned that during LAP it was sung a lot quicker during this version than what she is used to which fucked up her breathing and therefore she couldn’t hold any notes or find her pitch. Anyone blaming monitors or heavy costumes is totally deluded and obviously just making excuses. She’s obviously surrounded by yes men and has slacked off with her vocal training which is a shame for a professional singer. The muscles that enable you to sing are just like any other muscles in the body, if you don’t use it - you lose it.

If it was Gaga, she would have turned it into a victim trip, blaming depression or some shit, and I guarantee, the media would have been so supportive and encouraging. But it’s Madonna. And it’s popular to hate on Madonna. I saw a bunch of “fans” on M’s fb account bitching that they too had the “right” to express their satisfaction and be objective. So I replied to them: 

“Yes you can be objective. Yes you can express your dissatisfaction with the performance. Just remember, there are millions of you and there is only one Madonna. Kick her down to the floor with your criticism till she breaks or be a decent human and help her get through this difficult moment!” 

I somehow think if this was perceived as a performance ranging from ok to great, she would have not get even a third of the press. 

1 hour ago, Musicinferno said:

Don't blame the fornat. It's everything but crap. 

43 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

I’ve been so disappointed over this that I’ve completely avoided the forum and completely avoided commenting. There were some great moments, some amazing choreography and staging but her vocals were awful. Even during Future you can hear the auto tune struggling with the bum notes (btw was that auto tune or vocoder during Future?). I’m surprised no one has mentioned that during LAP it was sung a lot quicker during this version than what she is used to which fucked up her breathing and therefore she couldn’t hold any notes or find her pitch. Anyone blaming monitors or heavy costumes is totally deluded and obviously just making excuses. She’s obviously surrounded by yes men and has slacked off with her vocal training which is a shame for a professional singer. The muscles that enable you to sing are just like any other muscles in the body, if you don’t use it - you lose it.

" If you don't make the choice
And you don't use your voice
Auto-Tune will sing for you instead...
(ye-eaaaah...) "

Seriously, I don't think it has to do with a lack of training or loss of vocal control. It could be any number of things, but I'm sure she'll knock us out with her live voice at some point during this era.

It just didn't happen for her at Eurovision.

1 minute ago, Mattress said:

Seriously, I don't think it has to do with a lack of training or loss of vocal control. It could be any number of things, but I'm sure she'll knock us out with her live voice at some point during this era.

It just didn't happen for her at Eurovision.

I agree. Listening to the isolated mic feed of her BBMAs - she sounded fine (maybe not ultra amazing) and that was not too long ago!!