New Madonna interview: Têtu Magazine - France

“This time I mean to be subversive.”

At 60, Madonna is back with Madame X, the riskiest and most political album of her career. With this album, she has decided to shake up pop music once again. We met with her in London.

I can’t read the scans properly as they are poor quality images, but the first page recaps her role as a gay icon, pioneer and AIDS advocate. There is a strangely dismissive revisionism of her success over the last fifteen years, essentially branding albums flops that weren’t (COADF - but maybe it was a flop in France...I don’t know) and complaining that she used mainstream producers and followed trends on recent albums.

After years of sending interview requests that went unanswered, she finally agreed, meeting at a Marylebone hotel...she showed up three hours late and refused to discuss anything other than the album, but she’s Madonna so you do what you’re told essentially!

Madonna gave them a half hour under the watchful eye of Kelly Bush. She stated she knows the album is a risk for her, and wants to defend it. She’s cautious and quick to correct context and redirect questions in order to avoid creating unnecessary controversy..

She’s fearful, but optimistic. She hopes she’s channeled her anger into joyful music that inspires people to take action. Because that’s what we have to do with our anger. You can’t change the world with fury. And yes, this is in some ways a continuation of american life 

6 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

I can’t read the scans properly as they are poor quality images, but the first page recaps her role as a gay icon, pioneer and AIDS advocate. There is a strangely dismissive revisionism of her success over the last fifteen years, essentially branding albums flops that weren’t (COADF - but maybe it was a flop in France...I don’t know) and complaining that she used mainstream producers and followed trends on recent albums.

giphy.gif

Also from the Tetu interview:

"Killers who are Partying" is the first song we have worked on. It's a political piece, but everything Mirwais and I do together always ends up not becoming political. Because it's also his way of thinking. The guitar we hear in intro is a sample that I captured myself during a fado session. The sound of this guitar is exactly what I wanted. I really felt inspired by the melancholy and the feeling of this music, by the sound of Cesaria Evora, Morna and Cape Verde. The authenticity of the music that I hear everywhere in Portugal has touched me. I wanted to appropriate this music and make it sound more modern. I asked Mirwais, "What do you think you can do with it, does it inspire you?" Obviously, it pleased him a lot, "reveals the songstress of "I Rise ".

2 minutes ago, robster said:
Also from the Tetu interview:

"Killers who are Partying" is the first song we have worked on. It's a political piece, but everything Mirwais and I do together always ends up not becoming political. Because it's also his way of thinking. The guitar we hear in intro is a sample that I captured myself during a fado session. The sound of this guitar is exactly what I wanted. I really felt inspired by the melancholy and the feeling of this music, by the sound of Cesaria Evora, Morna and Cape Verde. The authenticity of the music that I hear everywhere in Portugal has touched me. I wanted to appropriate this music and make it sound more modern. I asked Mirwais, "What do you think you can do with it, does it inspire you?" Obviously, it pleased him a lot, "reveals the songstress of "I Rise ".

All this has me gasping for air!!

On killers who are partying you sing “I’ll be Israel if Israel is imprisoned, I’ll be Islam if Islam is attacked”. How should we understand this? That you want to be aligned with minorities?

What Mirwais and I wanted to say with song is that we don’t see the world as fragmented, but as united. And I’m a part of that world. I’m an aspect of the Universe’s soul. I don’t define myself by categories and labels. But society loves labels and to separate people. Poor people, gay people, Africans. Because it makes us feel safe. What I’m saying in this song is that I’ll be each of the boxes you try to put me in. I’ll put myself on the frontline. I’ll take the hits; the heat...because I’m a citizen of the world and my soul is connected to everyone else’s. Also I’m responsible for everyone and I must take care of them. If someone else suffers, then I suffer. To me a song is an act and a declaration of solidarity.

Mirwais co-produced six (?) songs on this album with you. How was it getting back together?

We never lost touch. It was great to work together again.

see Robster’s post for rest of answer to question.

We will see that in particular on the album in the song "Dark Ballet", inspired by a historical figure well known to the French ... "[In this song], I say that this world where people are governed and dominated by the illusion of celebrity and fame; governed, dominated and enslaved by social networks; governed and dominated by oppressors who constantly discriminate against people; this world, I refuse to be part of it. "Dark Ballet" was inspired by Joan of Arc and her story. It's like a junction point. Madame X and Jeanne d'Arc merge. I speak her words and her language and I say, "I am not afraid to die for what I believe in". And that's exactly what I feel. "

On Dark Ballet, you sing “your world is full of pain”. Are you no longer part of our world?

3 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

On killers who are partying you sing “I’ll be Israel if Israel is imprisoned, I’ll be Islam if Islam is attacked”. How should we understand this? That you want to be aligned with minorities?

What Mirwais and I wanted to say with song is that we don’t see the world as fragmented, but as united. And I’m a part of that world. I’m an aspect of the Universe’s soul. I don’t define myself by categories and labels. But society loves labels and to separate people. Poor people, gay people, Africans. Because it makes us feel safe. What I’m saying in this song is that I’ll be each of the boxes you try to put me in. I’ll put myself on the frontline. I’ll take the hits; the heat...because I’m a citizen of the world and my soul is connected to everyone else’s. Also I’m responsible for everyone and I must take care of them. If someone else suffers, then I suffer. To me a song is an act and a declaration of solidarity.

Wow.. Just wow. Imagine the conversation that happened between M and Mirwais. 

1 minute ago, Herfaceremains said:

@robster Are you translating it all? great, and thanks if so. Just let me know so I’m not double-dipping.

No, just the pieces I could find 🙂 This was all I could find, so please do translate if you could. VERY much appreciated! ❤️

1 minute ago, robster said:

No, just the pieces I could find 🙂 This was all I could find, so please do translate if you could. VERY much appreciated! ❤️

Cool! On it!

“I’m not saying that. Im saying this world where people are governed and dominated by the illusion of celebrity and luck; governed, dominated and enslaved to social media; governed and dominated by people who oppress and discriminate against others...I refuse to be a part of that world. This song was inspired by Joan of Arc and her story. It’s like a crossroads: Madame X and JOA come together. I speak her words and her language. I say “I’m not afraid of dying for what I believe in”. And that’s exactly how I feel.”

A year ago when Guy O posted a photo to commemorate the 20th anniversary of ROL, you answered “remember when I used to be able to (...you all know the quote).”  Did you get to feel like you were a visionary once again this time?

Edited by Herfaceremains

I think you are taking things out of context. (Her publicist intervenes staring the question isn’t clear, and do I have another, but Madonna persists).

I don’t remember exactly what I said at the time, but it definitely wasn’t a criticism of Guy. No one has ever forbidden me from doing anything. People criticize me...sure! But no one has ever impeded my personal vision.

On the other hand, people often warn me: Watch yourself! (She waves her finger as she would to a child being warned)

Do you think this album will shake up/disrupt/disturb  the record industry?

That’s not the word I’d use to describe my music: provocative, confrontational, emotional, impassioned. Those are the words I’d use. And inspiring...

so that's why (according to rumours) they didn't allow her to perform "killers who are partying"... “I’ll be Israel if Israel is imprisoned, I’ll be Islam if Islam is attacked” (though it could also be a rough translation, but  you know they wouldn't like this)

In the intro to I Rise you include part of Emma Gonzales’ speech. Do you feel you inspired that generation?

I hope so. It’s certainly my intention. I consider her to be a spokesperson for and a pioneer of her generation. I’m just continuing to do what I’ve always done: fight for women’s rights and human rights in general. I fight for the equality of all.

In Medellin, you reminisce about being 17. What are your feelings about past ( I can’t read the words, as they are in the magazine fold...I’ll appropriate as I can)?

I think I’ve taken a lot of shit! (Laughs)

I’ve broken down a lot of barriers for women, but I’m always very conscious of the fact that the fight isn’t over. And to be honest, I feel like I’m still fighting for the same things today. 

53 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

After years of sending interview requests that went unanswered, she finally agreed, meeting at a Marylebone hotel...she showed up three hours late and refused to discuss anything other than the album, but she’s Madonna so you do what you’re told essentially!

Wait WHAT!? 

She openly dismissed and disapproves of her working with trendy artists? 

Just now, Master Dita said:

Wait WHAT!? 

This is all getting very confusing. I think it's the different (and very appreciated) translations.

Like A Prayer came out 30 years ago to great controversy. Are you still seeking to create such controversy now?

Honestly when LAP came out I didn’t expect it to be so contentious. What shocked people was me kissing a black saint and dancing in front of burning crosses. They perceived it as sacrilege. I didn’t think for a second that it would be so controversial. 

This time, however, I mean to be subversive!

(Apologies as i really am guessing a little of what she says as I can’t see the last words of the sentences).

2 minutes ago, Master Dita said:

Wait WHAT!? 

No. It’s the journalist who dismisses it in the intro editorial. I’m focusing on the interview so just summarized.