New Madonna interview: Têtu Magazine - France

Here it is in one post for future readers. I was translating as I read it! Sorry for that!

On killers who are partying you sing “I’ll be Israel if Israel is imprisoned, I’ll be Islam if Islam is attacked”. How should we understand this? That you want to be aligned with minorities?

What Mirwais and I wanted to say with that song is that we don’t see the world as fragmented, but as united. And I’m a part of that world. I’m an aspect of the Universe’s soul. I don’t define myself by categories and labels. But society loves labels and to separate people. Poor people, gay people, Africans. Because it makes us feel safe. What I’m saying in this song is that I’ll be each of the boxes you try to put me in. I’ll put myself on the frontline. I’ll take the hits; the heat...because I’m a citizen of the world and my soul is connected to everyone else’s. Also I’m responsible for everyone and I must take care of them. If someone else suffers, then I suffer. To me a song is an act and a declaration of solidarity.

Mirwais co-produced six (?) songs on this album with you. How was it getting back together?

We never lost touch. It was great to work together again. KWAP was the first song we worked on together. It’s a political song, but everything Mirwais and I do together ends up being political. Because that’s also his way of thinking. The guitar you can hear at the beginning of the track is a sample I took from a fado session. The sound of the guitar is exactly what I wanted. I felt extremely inspired by the melancholy and the feeling of this music, by the sounds of Cesaria Evora, or morna and of Cape Verde. The authenticity of the music I heard in Portugal moved me. I wanted to take this style of music and make it sound more modern. I asked Mirwais: “What do you think you can do with this? Does it inspire you?”...obviously it did!

On Dark Ballet, you sing “your world is full of pain”. Are you no longer part of our world?

I’m not saying that. I’m saying this world where people are governed and dominated by the illusion of celebrity and luck; governed, dominated and enslaved to social media; governed and dominated by people who oppress and discriminate against others...I refuse to be a part of that world. This song was inspired by Joan of Arc and her story. It’s like a crossroads/hybrid: Madame X and JOA come together. I speak her words and her language. I say “I’m not afraid of dying for what I believe in”. And that’s exactly how I feel.

A year ago when Guy O posted a photo to commemorate the 20th anniversary of ROL, you answered “Remember when I was allowed to be creative and didn't have to go to writing camps where people can't stand still for more than 3 minutes.”  Did you get to feel like you got to be the visionary this time?

I think you are taking things out of context. (Her publicist intervenes stating the question isn’t clear, and do I have another, but Madonna persists).

I don’t remember exactly what I said at the time, but it definitely wasn’t a criticism of Guy. No one has ever forbidden me from doing anything. People criticize me...sure! But no one has ever impeded my personal vision.

On the other hand, people often warn me: Watch yourself! (She waves her finger as she would to a child being warned)

Do you think this album will shake up/disrupt/disturb  the record industry?

That’s not the word I’d use to describe my music: provocative, confrontational, emotional, impassioned. Those are the words I’d use. And inspiring...

In the intro to I Rise you include part of Emma Gonzales’ speech. Do you feel you inspired that generation?

I hope so. It’s certainly my intention. I consider her to be a spokesperson for and a pioneer of her generation. I’m just continuing to do what I’ve always done: fight for women’s rights and human rights in general. I fight for the equality of all.

In Medellin, you reminisce about being 17. What are your feelings about your past? ( I can’t read the words, as they are in the magazine fold...I’ll appropriate as I can)

I think I’ve taken a lot of shit! (Laughs)

I’ve broken down a lot of barriers for women, but I’m always very conscious of the fact that the fight isn’t over. And to be honest, I feel like I’m still fighting for the same things today. 

Like A Prayer came out 30 years ago to great controversy. Are you still seeking to create such controversy now?

Honestly when LAP came out I didn’t expect it to be so contentious. What shocked people was me kissing a black saint and dancing in front of burning crosses. They perceived it as sacrilege. I didn’t think for a second that it would be so controversial. 

This time, however, I mean to be subversive!

(Apologies as i really am guessing a little of what she says as I can’t see the last words of the sentences).

Provocation has always been a means to spread your message to people on gay rights, women’s rights, against racism...but now it’s the (?) that use provocation....

“Give me an example?”

People like Donald Trump and Marine LePen.

(cannot read all of her words and so I won’t translate for context).

Do you feel connected to your gay fans? What about being a gay icon?

The word icon is one that others can use, but I can’t apply to myself! Do you think I’m an icon?

Is this album an homage to your life in Portugal?

You heard it! You tell me if I made an homage to Portugal and fado...and it’s not just fado either. There are lots of other influences I picked up on while there. But even with other influences, it’s definitely an album that is an expression of my time in Portugal. I have a house there, and I go back often. My son still plays for the football team Benefica. But you know...I live on airplanes. The skies are my home! (Laughs)

I hope my Portuguese is good. I had a great coach. Dino D’Santiago. He helped me a lot and introduced me to excellent musicians. His presence by my side was fundamental to the production of this album!

We are familiar with him. Tell us about your collaboration.

He was a sort of interface. He’s from Cape Verde. Most of the Cape Verdean musicians I worked with didn’t speak any English. He was in the studio with me when we were recording the songs. He would explain what I wanted. He helped me musically to give life to these songs because I didn’t have any other means to communicate with the musicians!  We made a song called Funana that will be a bonus cut. I have another song that isn’t on the deluxe edition called Ciao Bella. The singer Kimi Djabate who’s from Guinea-Bissau sings on that track. Dino introduced me to him. When he came to sing on the album he didn’t speak a word of English, only Creole. Dino was the translator and helped me a lot. 

When I recorded Killers Who Are Partying and Extreme Occident, which are both definitely morna-influenced, I sent him the tracks. I really wanted his feedback. I wanted to know if he felt the songs were authentic. His approval was important to me.

How did you pick the people you collaborated with? Like Maluma for example. 

It happened very organically. All of my collaborations are decided upon meeting people. We share a glass of champagne, we get along well and we talk about what we can accomplish together. To tell you the truth, there’s nothing particularly profound about it...it’s very instinctive. I’m a fan of each person I’ve collaborated with. 

You’ve often worked with French people: JPG, JR, Martin Solveig, Mirwais...what links/connects you to them?

Yes! What is this connection to Frenchmen?It’s as if I can’t get rid of them! (Laughs)

They're responsible for my greatest collaborations. Mondino, Gaultier, Mirwais...I think I love them because they’re very...stubborn! They hold strong. The people you mention are also extremely intellectual, extremely creative and very cultured. We have great synergy. (She slams her glass down on the table and yells “Aqua por favor!” Everyone leaps to action. Then she points out a photographer and yells “Who let the paparazzi in? Who are you? Do I know you?!” 

The photographer stops, terrorized. “It’s Ricardo, the official photographer of Madonna”, her publicist clarifies. Everyone laughs! 

On the album you sing in Spanish and Portuguese. Is that an attempt to challenge the stronghold English has on pop music. 

Thats exactly what it is! I like the idea of world music.  I hate divisions/compartmentalizing. We don’t want to do it with people, so why would we do it with music? I love turning on the radio in NY and hearing people sing in Spanish, or getting in my car in Lisbon and hearing dancehall or reggaeton. It’s amazing! Stepping away from English is challenging, but you’ll have noticed I love a challenge!

Edited by Herfaceremains
Format

1 hour ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Yep, they're only available on the physical 2CD deluxe. Though they may be available digitally on a seperate EP months later like she did with the super deluxe Rebel Heart tracks. 

Thank you! 

Just now, Andra said:

Thank you for the translation @Herfaceremains!!!!:wow: I'm loving this these kind of interviews where it's all about the music!

Agreed. So now, I think we’re gonna start getting full on music info in the coming weeks!!! Yay!!!!

42 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

She slams her glass down on the table and yells “Aqua por favor!” Everyone leaps to action. Then she points out a photographer and yells “Who let the paparazzi in? Who are you? Do I know you?!” 

The photographer stops, terrorized. “It’s Ricardo, the official photographer of Madonna”, her publicist clarifies. Everyone laughs! 

:rotfl:

2 hours ago, jonur said:

"THE CONTINUATION OF AMERICAN LIFE..." oh man, I knew the album was going to be changing my life again...the last time I had a big spiritual awakening/found myself was when American Life came out and I spent 2 months in Europe and that was a huge deal for me, a milestone in my life full of inspiration, spirituality, and just coming to terms with certain aspects of my life. This is why American Life has always been a BIG album for me, literally a part of my life.

A few months ago I felt like I needed the same kind of "tune up" with where I am in my life... booked my trip to Europe several months ago in hopes of having another similar situation-and the day that I leave (June 14th) this album comes out... it's definitely not a coincidence. I booked my trip with my intention "I need a change, I need inspiration in my life again, I need to improve/let go of things," and I booked it BEFORE even Madame X was officially announced with dates/themes, etc. Thank you Universe, and especially thank you to Madonna! 

Sorry for the TMI and long post guys, I just love this era so much right now...

Thank you for sharing this!! This is beautiful. I agree, it's NOT a coincidence that the album is out same day you're leaving. I totally feel you on a lot of these fronts too, been a rough year on this end too. I wish you the best of luck and an amazing trip!! ❤️

Thank you @Herfaceremains this is by far one of the best interviews she's had in YEARS!!

She's on fire right now. She has A LOT to say. I have no idea how this album will be received at the end of the day by fans or critics but I don't think anyone can dispute that she's at an inspirational peak. Portugal really kickstarted her in a lot of ways......I've loved her work from Hard Candy onward but this is definitely a different animal. Love it when she gets "deep" like this. Will admit AL was tough for me back in '03. Took a long time for me to appreciate it but I welcome this "AL part 2" with open arms!! Even if it does end up being a "tough" listen, she's so inspired right now and is absolutely saying what she needs to say. Already though, just on what we've heard, sonically this album is definitely more interesting to me than AL was at that time so I have extremely high hopes here. 

Such a beautiful lady. I've loved her since I was 10 yrs old and nearing 40 now (omg) within next couple yrs, just never would've imagined that she'd STILL be such an integral part of my life, still teaching her "lessons" to me as she did back in the early 90's. I feel like I could gush for about 3 more paragraphs so I'll stop here but needless to say, I'm more excited than EVER about this album. This interview has been a real treat!!!

3 hours ago, jonur said:

"THE CONTINUATION OF AMERICAN LIFE..." oh man, I knew the album was going to be changing my life again...the last time I had a big spiritual awakening/found myself was when American Life came out and I spent 2 months in Europe and that was a huge deal for me, a milestone in my life full of inspiration, spirituality, and just coming to terms with certain aspects of my life. This is why American Life has always been a BIG album for me, literally a part of my life.

A few months ago I felt like I needed the same kind of "tune up" with where I am in my life... booked my trip to Europe several months ago in hopes of having another similar situation-and the day that I leave (June 14th) this album comes out... it's definitely not a coincidence. I booked my trip with my intention "I need a change, I need inspiration in my life again, I need to improve/let go of things," and I booked it BEFORE even Madame X was officially announced with dates/themes, etc. Thank you Universe, and especially thank you to Madonna! 

Thanks for sharing that! Many of us are going through massive shifts. I won’t go into the spiritual and astrological dynamics on here as it is too personal, but know that you aren’t alone! In fact, Madonna is so attuned to spirituality, dimensionality and astrological energies that it only makes sense that her work would reflect your own awakening. 💫💛🌟

Thank you @Herfaceremains :thumbsup:

Delighted that this one focused on the album production, her artistic vision - it appears to be an exciting album we are bound to be listening in a few weeks.

Loved the skies are my home comment 😄 - anyone remember these snap a couple of years ago on Ryanassair, London to Lisbon or Lisbon to London?

46D66D5000000578-5133247-image-a-9_15121

46D7815300000578-5133247-She_had_been_hi

Anyway, thanks again for the translation, will see if it is possible to get hold of the actual magazine, as I saw some with a copy of it already

I love how she's always so eloquent and cool. She is a genuine artist, not just a musician and we know so many people don't appreciate this.

I'm so excited for the album particularly the more world focussed songs!

10 hours ago, Herfaceremains said:

Here it is in one post for future readers. I was translating as I read it! Sorry for that!

On killers who are partying you sing “I’ll be Israel if Israel is imprisoned, I’ll be Islam if Islam is attacked”. How should we understand this? That you want to be aligned with minorities?

What Mirwais and I wanted to say with that song is that we don’t see the world as fragmented, but as united. And I’m a part of that world. I’m an aspect of the Universe’s soul. I don’t define myself by categories and labels. But society loves labels and to separate people. Poor people, gay people, Africans. Because it makes us feel safe. What I’m saying in this song is that I’ll be each of the boxes you try to put me in. I’ll put myself on the frontline. I’ll take the hits; the heat...because I’m a citizen of the world and my soul is connected to everyone else’s. Also I’m responsible for everyone and I must take care of them. If someone else suffers, then I suffer. To me a song is an act and a declaration of solidarity.

Mirwais co-produced six (?) songs on this album with you. How was it getting back together?

We never lost touch. It was great to work together again. KWAP was the first song we worked on together. It’s a political song, but everything Mirwais and I do together ends up being political. Because that’s also his way of thinking. The guitar you can hear at the beginning of the track is a sample I took from a fado session. The sound of the guitar is exactly what I wanted. I felt extremely inspired by the melancholy and the feeling of this music, by the sounds of Cesaria Evora, or morna and of Cape Verde. The authenticity of the music I heard in Portugal moved me. I wanted to take this style of music and make it sound more modern. I asked Mirwais: “What do you think you can do with this? Does it inspire you?”...obviously it did!

On Dark Ballet, you sing “your world is full of pain”. Are you no longer part of our world?

I’m not saying that. I’m saying this world where people are governed and dominated by the illusion of celebrity and luck; governed, dominated and enslaved to social media; governed and dominated by people who oppress and discriminate against others...I refuse to be a part of that world. This song was inspired by Joan of Arc and her story. It’s like a crossroads/hybrid: Madame X and JOA come together. I speak her words and her language. I say “I’m not afraid of dying for what I believe in”. And that’s exactly how I feel.

A year ago when Guy O posted a photo to commemorate the 20th anniversary of ROL, you answered “Remember when I was allowed to be creative and didn't have to go to writing camps where people can't stand still for more than 3 minutes.”  Did you get to feel like you got to be the visionary this time?

I think you are taking things out of context. (Her publicist intervenes stating the question isn’t clear, and do I have another, but Madonna persists).

I don’t remember exactly what I said at the time, but it definitely wasn’t a criticism of Guy. No one has ever forbidden me from doing anything. People criticize me...sure! But no one has ever impeded my personal vision.

On the other hand, people often warn me: Watch yourself! (She waves her finger as she would to a child being warned)

That’s not the word I’d use to describe my music: provocative, confrontational, emotional, impassioned. Those are the words I’d use. And inspiring...

In the intro to I Rise you include part of Emma Gonzales’ speech. Do you feel you inspired that generation?

I hope so. It’s certainly my intention. I consider her to be a spokesperson for and a pioneer of her generation. I’m just continuing to do what I’ve always done: fight for women’s rights and human rights in general. I fight for the equality of all.

In Medellin, you reminisce about being 17. What are your feelings about your past? ( I can’t read the words, as they are in the magazine fold...I’ll appropriate as I can)

I’ve broken down a lot of barriers for women, but I’m always very conscious of the fact that the fight isn’t over. And to be honest, I feel like I’m still fighting for the same things today. 

Like A Prayer came out 30 years ago to great controversy. Are you still seeking to create such controversy now?

Honestly when LAP came out I didn’t expect it to be so contentious. What shocked people was me kissing a black saint and dancing in front of burning crosses. They perceived it as sacrilege. I didn’t think for a second that it would be so controversial. 

(Apologies as i really am guessing a little of what she says as I can’t see the last words of the sentences).

Provocation has always been a means to spread your message to people on gay rights, women’s rights, against racism...but now it’s the (?) that use provocation....

“Give me an example?”

The word icon is one that others can use, but I can’t apply to myself! Do you think I’m an icon?

You heard it! You tell me if I made an homage to Portugal and fado...and it’s not just fado either. There are lots of other influences I picked up on while there. But even with other influences, it’s definitely an album that is an expression of my time in Portugal. I have a house there, and I go back often. My son still plays for the football team Benefica. But you know...I live on airplanes. The skies are my home! (Laughs)

I hope my Portuguese is good. I had a great coach. Dino D’Santiago. He helped me a lot and introduced me to excellent musicians. His presence by my side was fundamental to the production of this album!

He was a sort of interface. He’s from Cape Verde. Most of the Cape Verdean musicians I worked with didn’t speak any English. He was in the studio with me when we were recording the songs. He would explain what I wanted. He helped me musically to give life to these songs because I didn’t have any other means to communicate with the musicians!  We made a song called Funana that will be a bonus cut. I have another song that isn’t on the deluxe edition called Ciao Bella. The singer Kimi Djabate who’s from Guinea-Bissau sings on that track. Dino introduced me to him. When he came to sing on the album he didn’t speak a word of English, only Creole. Dino was the translator and helped me a lot. 

When I recorded Killers Who Are Partying and Extreme Occident, which are both definitely morna-influenced, I sent him the tracks. I really wanted his feedback. I wanted to know if he felt the songs were authentic. His approval was important to me.

It happened very organically. All of my collaborations are decided upon meeting people. We share a glass of champagne, we get along well and we talk about what we can accomplish together. To tell you the truth, there’s nothing particularly profound about it...it’s very instinctive. I’m a fan of each person I’ve collaborated with. 

You’ve often worked with French people: JPG, JR, Martin Solveig, Mirwais...what links/connects you to them?

Yes! What is this connection to Frenchmen?It’s as if I can’t get rid of them! (Laughs)

They're responsible for my greatest collaborations. Mondino, Gaultier, Mirwais...I think I love them because they’re very...stubborn! They hold strong. The people you mention are also extremely intellectual, extremely creative and very cultured. We have great synergy. (She slams her glass down on the table and yells “Aqua por favor!” Everyone leaps to action. Then she points out a photographer and yells “Who let the paparazzi in? Who are you? Do I know you?!” 

On the album you sing in Spanish and Portuguese. Is that an attempt to challenge the stronghold English has on pop music. 

Thats exactly what it is! I like the idea of world music.  I hate divisions/compartmentalizing. We don’t want to do it with people, so why would we do it with music? I love turning on the radio in NY and hearing people sing in Spanish, or getting in my car in Lisbon and hearing dancehall or reggaeton. It’s amazing! Stepping away from English is challenging, but you’ll have noticed I love a challenge!

Thank you for taking the time to write this. You are doing God's work!

11 hours ago, Herfaceremains said:

(She slams her glass down in the table and yells “Aqua por favor!” Everyone leaps to action. Then she points out a photographer and yells “who let the paparazzi in? Who are you? Do I know you?!” 

The photographer stops, terrorized. “It’s Ricardo, the official photographer of Madonna” her publicist clarifies. Everyone laughs! 

Oh God. I wish there was video of this moment. 🤣

Thank you, @Herfaceremains! And @robster!  Very, very much appreciated!!

I have to say I find it extremely interesting and curious that the publicist intervened over that Instagram/Guy O/writing camp stuff around the ROL anniversary. Raises an eyebrow, doesn’t it? Wonder what caused the discomfort in that exchange...

14 hours ago, jonur said:

I can relate. 🙂

15 hours ago, Herfaceremains said:

“Give me an example?”

Thank you so much for the translation !

17 hours ago, Herfaceremains said:

When I recorded Killers Who Are Partying and Extreme Occident, which are both definitely morna-influenced, I sent him the tracks. I really wanted his feedback. I wanted to know if he felt the songs were authentic.

Thanks a lot for the translation. This is what I'm most excited about the new album, all the world music influences that bring new layers and depth to her music. I appreciate it much more than just getting another disco/dance album. Though I'm very much looking forward to the disco banger as well.

giphy.gif