Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

EUROVISION! The aftermath!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

Well. There’s a fine line between a concept and a gimmick. And i think this is one occasion where the eye patch and the “x” all over the place could’ve been given a rest to let the met gala aesthetic shine. Too much going on there...There are ways to remind people that you have a new album coming out without beating them over the head about it. 

She did that already with Rebel Heart at the Met Gala. She should just go all out like Macy Gray.

macy-gray-madonna-album-promo-dress.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait...I thought we were praising the Madame X looks just a few weeks ago?  I can't keep up anymore...

I'm glad M is still visual and theatrical in her looks. I don't find any of it gimmicky at all, as (for the most part), each look and all the pieces that make it up are usually tied to a theme/story/persona.  So you just really don't like it..fair enough, but to write it off as "gimmicky" now (but somehow not in the past) I'm just not buying. Nope.

You want to talk about gimmicky...firework tits from Katy and Gaga, that's actually gimmicky.  :newspaper:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FreeMySoul said:

not like she exposed her boob

Yeah and look how that turned out for Janet. When you fuck up on a huge platform the general public are not very forgiving and it will affect you commercially. Not as bad as a boob slip but when you are trying to sell your album and singles and you can't hit your notes, the general public ain't gonna be rushing to the record shop...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Wait...I thought we were praising the Madame X looks just a few weeks ago?  I can't keep up anymore...

I'm glad M is still visual and theatrical in her looks. I don't find any of it gimmicky at all, as (for the most part), each look and all the pieces that make it up are usually tied to a theme/story/persona.  So you just really don't like it..fair enough, but to write it off as "gimmicky" now (but somehow not in the past) I'm just not buying. Nope.

You want to talk about gimmicky...firework tits from Katy and Gaga, that's actually gimmicky.  :newspaper:

RIP Madame X 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Wait...I thought we were praising the Madame X looks just a few weeks ago?  I can't keep up anymore...

I'm glad M is still visual and theatrical in her looks. I don't find any of it gimmicky at all, as (for the most part), each look and all the pieces that make it up are usually tied to a theme/story/persona.  So you just really don't like it..fair enough, but to write it off as "gimmicky" now (but somehow not in the past) I'm just not buying. Nope.

You want to talk about gimmicky...firework tits from Katy and Gaga, that's actually gimmicky.  :newspaper:

I love the madame x looks but  combining it with the previously done met gala look just came of as a bit messy and contrived to me, sorry. Probably because we’d seen a version of it before and have that to compare it to so it felt a bit forced. No big whoop either way...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was not going to post in this thread again but just want to say that I think a lot are misinterpreting how people are feeling.  Going to just copy and paste my post from the UK thread and hope people understand why fans from Europe and Australia are hurting.  It is because we love Madonna - not a bashing exercise.  This is not bashing USA members either,  but Eurovision is not big in the USA - you all have said that and I think the hurt and impact is not as big.  To compare,  imagine if this happened at the Superbowl.  That is how big Eurovision is in Europe and to a lesser extent Australia. 

 

It is painful for us to witness this backlash again.  We all know how incredible Madonna is as a performer.  We know what a beautiful wonderful entertainer she is and how lovely her voice it.  Seen it all the time.  I adore her as a singer and entertainer and her music has given me life so to speak since her first album and single. I don't live in the UK but as soon as I heard those vocals in Like a Prayer that for whatever reason were out of tune,  I felt so frightened for her.  Sounds dramatic - yeah I know - but true.  This sounds dramatic too but wanted to cry for her.  To all of us,  Madonna is incredibly important,  why we are on this forum and why we love her so much. I was already upset over the Australian election result amongst other things and was thinking that I had this to cheer me up.  The negative reaction to her performance has only made me more depressed and as noted, the way that the truly vile haters are having a field day is horrific to all of us fans.  We know she will prevail and get over this ( she always does )  but I am not ashamed to admit that it hurts like hell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RyanAnth4 said:

This is why like it or not she has to do something fast to try help herself out of this . I don’t know what she can do but something . I have a feeling she knows this too 

We've been purposefully limiting the awfulness that's going on, so I feel these posters from other parts of the world aren't quite getting the issues. It will pass, but it's very bad for those of us experiencing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically it’s the same 5 members having a meltdown and posting the same thing over and over

yeah she hit a bum note. Get over it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Was not going to post in this thread again but just want to say that I think a lot are misinterpreting how people are feeling.  Going to just copy and paste my post from the UK thread and hope people understand why fans from Europe and Australia are hurting.  It is because we love Madonna - not a bashing exercise.  This is not bashing USA members either,  but Eurovision is not big in the USA - you all have said that and I think the hurt and impact is not as big.  To compare,  imagine if this happened at the Superbowl.  That is how big Eurovision is in Europe and to a lesser extent Australia. 

 

It is painful for us to witness this backlash again.  We all know how incredible Madonna is as a performer.  We know what a beautiful wonderful entertainer she is and how lovely her voice it.  Seen it all the time.  I adore her as a singer and entertainer and her music has given me life so to speak since her first album and single. I don't live in the UK but as soon as I heard those vocals in Like a Prayer that for whatever reason were out of tune,  I felt so frightened for her.  Sounds dramatic - yeah I know - but true.  This sounds dramatic too but wanted to cry for her.  To all of us,  Madonna is incredibly important,  why we are on this forum and why we love her so much. I was already upset over the Australian election result amongst other things and was thinking that I had this to cheer me up.  The negative reaction to her performance has only made me more depressed and as noted, the way that the truly vile haters are having a field day is horrific to all of us fans.  We know she will prevail and get over this ( she always does )  but I am not ashamed to admit that it hurts like hell. 

Hope this will not continue in a long run @Jazzy Jan. We still have 4 great songs to listen to and a new album in a few weeks. She’s a warrior. 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Basically it’s the same 5 members having a meltdown and posting the same thing over and over

yeah she hit a bum note. Get over it 

See what I mean. Completely clueless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kim said:

See what I mean. Completely clueless.

Sweetie I read your posts and understand.

what I don’t understand is this forum calling Eurovision a cheap camp event that doesn’t matter forever....

And now it’s just the most important thing in the world.

Make it make sense 

Pick a struggle 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stephen said:

Sweetie I read your posts and understand.

what I don’t understand is this forum calling Eurovision a cheap camp event treat doesn’t matter forever....

And now it’s just the most important thing in the world.

Make it make sense 

Pick a struggle 

 

BF59A813-FC64-489B-BFC3-82F9135A8434.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

I love the madame x looks but  combining it with the previously done met gala look just came of as a bit messy and contrived to me, sorry. Probably because we’d seen a version of it before and have that to compare it to so it felt a bit forced. No big whoop either way...

She wore different color leotards for most of the Confessions promo performances of Hung Up ... but they varied from performance to performance. There were some definite style changes from Met Gala to Eurovision in terms of the costumes. (Not just talking about the addition of an eyepatch, either...) Yes, there is definitely a connection, you can see how it grew from the Met Gala look, but ... I don’t see that she recycled something, if that is the insinuation here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, peter said:

She wore different color leotards for most of the Confessions promo performances of Hung Up ... but they varied from performance to performance. There were some definite style changes from Met Gala to Eurovision in terms of the costumes. (Not just talking about the addition of an eyepatch, either...) Yes, there is definitely a connection, you can see how it grew from the Met Gala look, but ... I don’t see that she recycled something, if that is the insinuation here. 

Nope it’s not the insinuation at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kim said:

See what I mean. Completely clueless.

I live in the UK. Yes it has been really shitty. But you know why? Because of the missed oportunity. Lets face it, the same people that were going to buy her album  and concert tickets last week are the same ones that will in a month. EV could have been an oportunity for MORE people to warm up to her again and buy her new material. It didnt happen. People hating on madonna now were hating on her last week- now they just have more steam and press atm. Anyone who loves her and or likes her work can seee through all of this.

 

Thats not to say with some more great promo there will be good success but yes EV had a lot of potential.

 

So in that sense it is not as dramatic as we think, but it does suck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

Nope it’s not the insinuation at all. 

Okay — sorry — I am just getting the tone from multiple posts (wasn’t necessarily meaning to zero in on yours). As I’m looking back, I see people are more just criticizing everything about her costume/style in general since the album title announcement ... so I was off-base. I apologize.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Basically it’s the same 5 members having a meltdown and posting the same thing over and over

yeah she hit a bum note. Get over it 

Eurovision Final is a big event in Europe 200 million people watchng, people wer waiting hyped up for madonna to perform and it wasnt well received. Right away she was slandered and trashed . And it wasnt for just a bum note so I and others feel bad about it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, peter said:

Okay — sorry — I am just getting the tone from multiple posts (wasn’t necessarily meaning to zero in on yours). As I’m looking back, I see people are more just criticizing everything about her costume/style in general since the album title announcement ... so I was off-base. I apologize.

I love the met look and I love the madame x looks. I was happy to see it come back and she definitely did grow it further. I just personally felt like layering the madame x look on top of it felt messy and a bit too try-hard with the album promo since the two looks had never been presented together originally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Sweetie I read your posts and understand.

what I don’t understand is this forum calling Eurovision a cheap camp event that doesn’t matter forever....

And now it’s just the most important thing in the world.

Make it make sense 

Pick a struggle 

I don't know, Steve. You tell me the last time Madonna, in your country, appeared on the Breakfast, Lunch and Evening news, every topical programme, every social media platform, every tabloid, broadsheet and radio show  and the prevailing headline was "piece of shit old pop star can't sing"

And make sure you you inform the rest of us over here so we can turn up and give it "OMG get over it 🤣"

NOT linking to it or highlighting it here seems to have had the opposite intended effect

1 minute ago, Eltacubo said:

I live in the UK. Yes it has been really shitty. But you know why? Because of the missed oportunity. Lets face it, the same people that were going to buy her album  and concert tickets last week are the same ones that will in a month. EV could have been an oportunity for MORE people to warm up to her again and buy her new material. It didnt happen. People hating on madonna now wete hati f her last week. Anyone who loves her and or likes her work can seee through all of this.

So in that sense it is not as dramatic as we think, but it does suck.

Somewhat yes, but there have been a glut of 'real life' incidences of people coming to the (wrong) realisation that "er she's a bit crap". Which is a shock to the system. It's rare that whole countries or continents sit down to watch something and come away with a prevailing negative opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kim said:

I don't know, Steve. You tell me the last time Madonna, in your country, appeared on the Breakfast, Lunch and Evening news, every topical programme, every social media platform, every tabloid, broadsheet and radio show  and the prevailing headline was "piece of shit old pop star can't sing"

And make sure you you inform the rest of us over here so we can turn up and give it "OMG get over it 🤣"

NOT linking to it or highlighting it here seems to have had the opposite intended effect

Somewhat yes, but there have been a glut of 'real life' incidences of people coming to the (wrong) realisation that "er she's a bit crap". Which is a shock to the system. It's rare that whole countries or continents sit down to watch something and come away with a prevailing negative opinion.

Madonna is trashed in US media all day everyday. Drake kiss at Coachella. Prince tribute. Aretha speech. MJ speech. The list goes on and on. It’s your guys time so handle your scandal like big boys and girls OK?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stephen said:

yeah she hit a bum note

No offense, but ffs, she hit "bum" notes for THE WHOLE FUCKING SONG. 

Again, the delusion is just so, so extreme. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stephen said:

Madonna is trashed in US media all day everyday. Drake kiss at Coachella. Prince tribute. Aretha speech. MJ speech. The list goes on and on. It’s your guys time so handle your scandal like big boys and girls OK?

Bullshit. We saw all that and it was NOTHING compared to this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crystal Coffin said:

No offense, but ffs, she hit "bum" notes for THE WHOLE FUCKING SONG. 

Again, the delusion is just so, so extreme. 

A bum note was the performance.

go have a Xanax dear 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

Bullshit. We saw all that and it was NOTHING compared to this.

Madonna is a big girl and can handle it. I’m sorry you’re thinking I’m delusional because I don’t care about the backlash as much as you lmao like what is the point? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mrsz said:

It sounds worse than  I  remember...

For me as well, sadly... I hope she recovers soon from whatever is going on (stress, fatigue, lack of preparation and daily vocal work?). She was amazing in the RH Tour (after the rather coarse MDNA years), so she can still get her voice back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stephen said:

Madonna is trashed in US media all day everyday. Drake kiss at Coachella. Prince tribute. Aretha speech. MJ speech. The list goes on and on. It’s your guys time so handle your scandal like big boys and girls OK?

ALL of those things combined together are fucking minor compared to the tragedy that was the EV performance, please don't even try. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Madonna is trashed in US media all day everyday. Drake kiss at Coachella. Prince tribute. Aretha speech. MJ speech. The list goes on and on. It’s your guys time so handle your scandal like big boys and girls OK?

You know I love you on this forum Stephen but I am sorry,  I do think you are wrong.  I have grown up with negative shit about Madonna all the time.  God knows,  Rupert Murdoch owns virtually all the press here so have seen it all since I was a child regarding Madonna bashing. .  But this is different than the Prince, Aretha Drake stuff.  Honestly it is.  This was an event where all of Europe and Australians who set their alarms for 5 am were watching live.  Also,  people were excited to see Madonna.  It was not just haters or some of the public.  Yes, Eurovision is that big.  The backlash is extreme, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shaun said:

Thank God she still tries hard at 60. She could’ve joined a knitting club years ago. Madonna is fuckin fierce.

Oh come on, she's already admitted she was bored in Lisbon, she has a contract to complete and whatever anyone says, she is still the original material girl after the almighty dollar. Don't fool yourself by saying she could have given it all up at 60. She could have retired years ago and peddled GH tours every now and then. She's a performer and she loves it. Yes we're all grateful she's still making music but behind the scenes, I don't believe it's for the good of the fans. It's for her obligation to contracts and income. If it was all for the fans then we would see more things like VIP packages including meet and greets etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...