Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

EUROVISION! The aftermath!


Recommended Posts

God bless the people who think a possible “promo” performance at NYC pride for several thousand circuit queens, mostly high off their faces, is akin to being given a stage in front of two hundred million people across multiple continents :wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

madonna.jpg

For all German M fans: Finally, some (rare) voices of sanity among this artificially created digital lynch-mob mentality:

--> https://www.stern.de/neon/feierabend/musik-literatur/madonna-beim-esc--die-ueberdrehte-lust-an-der-medialen-hinrichtung-8717946.html

--> https://www.ruhrbarone.de/esc-madonna-hat-keine-toene-vergeigt/167544

--> https://www.welt.de/kultur/plus193768181/ESC-in-Tel-Aviv-Warum-Madonna-der-einzige-Lichtblick-war.html

If any German fellow member happens to be able to access the last article in full, I would be really grateful for a post/DM. 🙂

I do not have the time to translate these articles, but deepl.com is your friend. 😀

one more..... 

24AD55DB-5CBD-461C-8C6D-069302546DCA.jpeg7FBCC0EC-B2BB-4D92-B6BB-62FB200AA11F.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I agree that something went wrong with LAP but I think something was wrong with her earpiece or it was technical issue. Whatever it was, things were spot on for the Future part.

Anyway, sometimes things go wrong.  It's not the first time and it won't be the last. It happens to everyone. But she's had countless excellent performances where nothing went wrong. So for some stupid press or other critics going on as if she's over or her voice is bad now and not good enough etc better think again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seriously don't know what everyone has been making a fuss about. The performance was underwhelming at best, but it was no way a disaster. Probably not what a Eurovision show should be by its standards, but I thought it was well crafted and tightly choregraphed, despite everyone saying there is no choreography. Madonna didn't want it to be a simple dance number and wanted it to be meaningful. Good for her and I'm sure the Madame X tour will incorporate some of those stunning visuals. Madonna and theater is a match.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bcx said:

She’s going to have ups and downs. But there are a lot more downs at this stage of her career. It’s painful for all of us, I’m sure, and painful for her. But she’s got to crack the whip on her team, and she’s got to make some smart decisions going forward. And she will. The tour will be grand. They always are. The press will love the tour, her vocals will be great, and we’ll forget mostly about this. But we’ve got to make it through the promo phase. That’s the scariest part. 

In my opinion, her recent years team is a bunch of Yes People and that's the type that can do serious damage to one's success. A perfect example is the Aretha tribute speech; hours before she went to the MTV, she posted an Instagram muted video where they were doing her hair, make-up, etc, and she was reading what she would say (the paper with the speech text could be seen). Now, how come no one told her: "M, I believe that your speech is full of good intentions, but as it is it sounds a little bit self-absorbed, it's too much about you and too little about her. Maybe you could balance it more so that a backfire scenario won't happen."? No one told her this? Or maybe they did and she didn't care? Who knows. The truth is that it backfired badly and it did her image no good at all. One can say "who cares, she survived all of that, etc", but the legacy of these poorly planned situations (Aretha, Eurovision) is nothing but negativity. Madonna goes there, do her stuff and obtains little to none positivity in the end.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

They don't understand that this was a MOMENT in Madonna European history, Her first prime time Saturday night slot in decades in some cases, in many countries in front of hundreds of millions of viewers wondering what Madonna's been up to these last few years.

It hasn't gone down as a moment because of the obscured "political message" which btw, had zero impact until the very social media these people are decrying highlighted it (the real political moment of the night was of course  the Icelanders who boldly pulled out Palestinian scarfs and held them aloft during the voting)

As @CzarnaWisnia has rightly pointed out, anyone looking to a pop star for political guidance (and who's above voting age) probably has serious issues. Most of us love Madonna for her artistry (which, yes, occasionally touches upon very basic political ideals) 

What it has gone down as is a messy performance. Now that's rare from Madonna at the best of times but frankly inexcusable at a mammoth event on the eve of your new album roll out. You get one shot at this kind of thing. Yeah we can watch back 20 times and say "well that bit was good, that line sounded okay".but it doesn't work like that.

A lot of us here were quite rightly sad and upset that our friends, family, personal social media streams (ie not trolls) and respectable news outlets noted how bad she sang, how stiff she was and what an awful choice of song and collaborator she chose to get her message across. The "message" didn't even come into it really.  Now when that's the reaction from the 'normal' populace then you can bet your life the social media and media response is gonna be what it was,

So for those who don't understand it, well of course you don't. Try showing a little empathy towards fans in other territories instead of the usual derision and apoplectic, apologetic, victim playing nonsense.

Yes it has passed, yes social media storms come and go, but the real-world remaining effect is that it went from "Is she on yet? Where's Madonna? What's she gonna sing?" to "She's not very good is she?". 

This!

And I find it funny that some fans make no big deal about the missing opportunity that was Eurovision and are now focused on Pride in NYC as if such event will do anything for Madonna (get the general public back, give her a good public image, etc). Will it be broadcast for 200 millions of people of different nationalities at the same time? I mean, for all I know, Pride is something just local and isn't even broadcast, am I right? The only events on the league of Eurovision are the Superbowl and mayyybe the World Cup and Olympics closing. As @Kim said, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, so every scenario should have been thought for it to be a success; but, to be frank, we are very lucky that a 2015 Brits situation didn't happen again, cuz God knows what a video game final level the whole thing looked like: 60yo, innumerable stairs to go up and down, an eye patch to not see straight, heavy clothes to limit the moves, accessories asking for a wardrobe malfunction, a lifeless version of a classic that everyone loves, a non-single, I repeat, a non-single to promote a new album and a featuring guest that no one knows in Europe and that she had to take care for how much lost he looked like. It's amazing what an Herculean task it all was and how in the end the vocals were the only thing that went wrong. Madonna is a pro, there's definitely no doubt about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Msig said:

Correct. The EBU most likely don't have the rights to upload it on the Eurovision YouTube channel - and that was allegedly one of the contract issues.

That whole contract mess actually turned out to be a good thing. Most people won't see the original version. Only the altered version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

That whole contract mess actually turned out to be a good thing. Most people won't see the original version. Only the altered version.

so they have ''fixed'' her voice in the uploaded video?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was such a great and powerful show with a strong message of peace and love and hope and amazing visuals!!! "A celebration of love, life and humanity"!

As for the ongoing controversy about the live vocals of Like A Prayer, it's time to give it break! She has beautifully sung Like a Prayer live hundreds of times during her career. She has nothing to prove. She's obviously able to sing it even better than what people can now hear on her Vevo channel video.

Shit happens to everyone. She's been up there doing her thing for 35 years contributing to changing the music world and our society for the better. What about those who are once again putting her up on the cross? What have they done?

Like someone else already pointed, haters gonna hate, that's the only thing they are able to do from the safety and complacency of their keyboards and touchscreens.

WAKE UP! ....oh and of course, NOT EVERYONE is coming to the future! She's GOLD and she's FIRE! 🔥👑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What was supposed to be an enjoyable event, ruined my weekend really. I'm mentally exhausted and cannot get over it. (Because i care for her before you jump on my throat!)

As some pointed out, it was a mammoth opportunity for her. Everyone, even people who hated the ESC, watched the damn thing for her. I find it mind boggling that she exposed herself like that in front of millions, as if she is bloody Adele!

I really don't know how she's gonna correct this.

I listened to a silly vocal coach commentary on youtube for the performance and she said 'it’s the voice of someone who doesn’t sing very much and doesn’t look after their voice'. Why??? Either do something about it way before the event or take other precautions!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Madonna - Like A Prayer (Official Music Video)
Date Views
2019/05/11 66,353
2019/05/12 60,635
2019/05/13 55,528
2019/05/14 56,886
2019/05/15 60,189
2019/05/16 64,279
2019/05/17 72,966
2019/05/18 169,168

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I am obviously one of the most critical to her awful Eurovision performance and if I am sitting next to her now, I would literally ask her to take care of her voice, so me a "yes man"? Please GO FUCK YOURSELF.

I bet you would just piss on yourself if you would be allowed to sit next to her

MX herself would just roll her eyes to such question as if she didnt take care of it.

She had them dud live singing in all stages of her career (and good/great). And this was not the worst.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

That whole contract mess actually turned out to be a good thing. Most people won't see the original version. Only the altered version.

Yes and the altered version is great. Better than Medellin BBAMs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are many male singers whose vocals are terrible, but nobody complains because they understand these artists possess other talents. Take Eric Clapton, for example. Terrible singer but a great guitar player. 

So the same should apply to Madonna. She is a great performer. This performance was visually beautiful, costumes and dancing were great, there was only a few notes out if tune, but that is the only thing that matters to some.

You cant have everything. Many people are good singers but they just cant entertain people as Madonna does. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, alquemist said:

madonna.jpg

For all German M fans: Finally, some (rare) voices of sanity among this artificially created digital lynch-mob mentality:

--> https://www.stern.de/neon/feierabend/musik-literatur/madonna-beim-esc--die-ueberdrehte-lust-an-der-medialen-hinrichtung-8717946.html

--> https://www.ruhrbarone.de/esc-madonna-hat-keine-toene-vergeigt/167544

--> https://www.welt.de/kultur/plus193768181/ESC-in-Tel-Aviv-Warum-Madonna-der-einzige-Lichtblick-war.html

If any German fellow member happens to be able to access the last article in full, I would be really grateful for a post/DM. 🙂

I do not have the time to translate these articles, but deepl.com is your friend. 😀

 

Stern and Die Welt are actually pretty important here in Germany. So I am glad we can read some reasonable and serious articles on such relevant magazines

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sky Fits Heaven said:

[...] cuz God knows what a video game final level the whole thing looked like: 60yo, innumerable stairs to go up and down, an eye patch to not see straight, heavy clothes to limit the moves, accessories asking for a wardrobe malfunction [...]

Omg! I know it's wrong, but that made me laugh so hard! 🤣nVkMzF.gifcollapse.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like both versions....accidents do happen and she's getting lynch for something that was completely out of her control. I guess when you're Madonna every little single mistake gets amplified and gives fuel to the haters to trash her while others can get away with it and even come on on top for making the best out of those situations. Although this is a recycled performance with a few additions, it's definitely better than BBMA's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, runa said:

Mentally exhausted because M did an underwhelming performance? Come on now. :doh:

Thank god I’m not in your head. Must not be funny.

The conclusions of some people in here...laughable. This talk just goes on and on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kim said:

They don't understand that this was a MOMENT in Madonna European history, Her first prime time Saturday night slot in decades in some cases, in many countries in front of hundreds of millions of viewers wondering what Madonna's been up to these last few years.

It hasn't gone down as a moment because of the obscured "political message" which btw, had zero impact until the very social media these people are decrying highlighted it (the real political moment of the night was of course  the Icelanders who boldly pulled out Palestinian scarfs and held them aloft during the voting)

As @CzarnaWisnia has rightly pointed out, anyone looking to a pop star for political guidance (and who's above voting age) probably has serious issues. Most of us love Madonna for her artistry (which, yes, occasionally touches upon very basic political ideals) 

What it has gone down as is a messy performance. Now that's rare from Madonna at the best of times but frankly inexcusable at a mammoth event on the eve of your new album roll out. You get one shot at this kind of thing. Yeah we can watch back 20 times and say "well that bit was good, that line sounded okay".but it doesn't work like that.

A lot of us here were quite rightly sad and upset that out friends, family, personal social media streams (ie not trolls) and respectable news outlets noted how bad she sang, how stiff she was and what an awful choice of song and collaborator she chose to get her message across. The "message" didn't even come into it really.  Now when that's the reaction from the 'normal' populace then you can bet your life the social media and media response is gonna be what it was,

So for those who don't understand it, well of course you don't. Try showing a little understanding and empathy towards fans in other territories instead of the usual derision and apoplectic, apologetic, victim playing nonsense.

Yes it has passed, yes social media storms come and go, but the real-world remaining effect is that it went from "Is she on yet? Where's Madonna? What's she gonna sing?" to "She's not very good is she?". 

Yes, exactly, thank you Baba Kim. 

Some fans be like "Who the fuck cares about what the masses think, she is Madonna she has no fucks to give", well here is the important news for you: 

Eurovision IS a show for the masses. And Madonna herself made a decision to perform there. And it is self-evident that she wanted to propagate her message to the masses through a (MUSICAL) performance - which unfortunately did not live up to the hype. 

I came from a conservative society in the East. More than anyone else on this forum, I perfectly understand how Madonna has never been a vanilla, MOR, family-friendly type of artist in the same fashion as Celine Dion or Whitney Houston so please spare your lecture about how she is not a people's pleaser and "gives no shits", I AM A FAN AND I AM NOT A STRANGER to those facts thank you very much. 

The performance did not do her any favours to elevate her status as a singing artist, and please understand the context correctly: 200 million people of friends and families being served with a lifeless form of "Like a Prayer", followed by a spoken interlude and a heavily vocodered song (which I love) with a rapper who has zero stage presence. Did NOT work. You may enjoy the performance as a fan who understands her vision, but do not be condescending to the vast majority who found it lackluster and hence their strong criticism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Flip The Switch said:

The conclusions of some people in here...laughable. This talk just goes on and on.

this is ridiculous. Time to move on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, runa said:

Mentally exhausted because M did an underwhelming performance? Come on now. :doh:

Thank god I’m not in your head. Must not be funny.

Yes, i am. i was hugely looking forward to it. Watched it with a group of friends and i was embarrassed. Sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Yes, exactly, thank you Baba Kim. 

Some fans be like "Who the fuck cares about what the masses think, she is Madonna she has no fucks to give", well here is the important news for you: 

Eurovision IS a show for the masses. And Madonna herself made a decision to perform there. And it is self-evident that she wanted to propagate her message to the masses through a (MUSICAL) performance - which unfortunately did not live up to the hype. 

I came from a conservative society in the East. More than anyone else on this forum, I perfectly understand how Madonna has never been a vanilla, MOR, family-friendly type of artist in the same fashion as Celine Dion or Whitney Houston so please spare your lecture about how she is not a people's pleaser and "gives no shits", I AM A FAN AND I AM NOT A STRANGER to those facts thank you very much. 

The performance did not do her any favours to elevate her status as a singing artist, and please understand the context correctly: 200 million people of friends and families being served with a lifeless form of "Like a Prayer", followed by a spoken interlude and a heavily vocodered song (which I love) with a rapper who has zero stage presence. Did NOT work. You may enjoy the performance as a fan who understands her vision, but do not be condescending to the vast majority who found it lackluster and hence their strong criticism. 

THIS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So much of the negativity I saw was not about LAP but about the strange vocoder on FUTURE...which is EXACTLY how the song is presented in the album version. It's manufactured outrage.

The version on youtube has the audio brought up...that's really it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Yes, exactly, thank you Baba Kim. 

Some fans be like "Who the fuck cares about what the masses think, she is Madonna she has no fucks to give", well here is the important news for you: 

Eurovision IS a show for the masses. And Madonna herself made a decision to perform there. And it is self-evident that she wanted to propagate her message to the masses through a (MUSICAL) performance - which unfortunately did not live up to the hype. 

I came from a conservative society in the East. More than anyone else on this forum, I perfectly understand how Madonna has never been a vanilla, MOR, family-friendly type of artist in the same fashion as Celine Dion or Whitney Houston so please spare your lecture about how she is not a people's pleaser and "gives no shits", I AM A FAN AND I AM NOT A STRANGER to those facts thank you very much. 

The performance did not do her any favours to elevate her status as a singing artist, and please understand the context correctly: 200 million people of friends and families being served with a lifeless form of "Like a Prayer", followed by a spoken interlude and a heavily vocodered song (which I love) with a rapper who has zero stage presence. Did NOT work. You may enjoy the performance as a fan who understands her vision, but do not be condescending to the vast majority who found it lackluster and hence their strong criticism. 

Can I get an A-Men. Spot on mate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find it funny because the "fixed" version is NOT that far off from the original at all. Is doing Eurovision usually a one time thing for most artists? 

I hope so, watching some of the other performances from Sat was absolutely atrocious. That has to be the stupidest, tackiest crock of shit I've ever witnessed. They should be glad Madonna (off vocals and all) brought SOMETHING to that vapid shitfest. Horrible.

And yes, the ones on Saturday that reacted like the sky was falling can all STILL FUCK OFF! Overreaction any way you slice it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I find it funny because the "fixed" version is NOT that far off from the original at all. Is doing Eurovision usually a one time thing for most artists? 

I hope so, watching some of the other performances from Sat was absolutely atrocious. That has to be the stupidest, tackiest crock of shit I've ever witnessed. They should be glad Madonna (off vocals and all) brought SOMETHING to that vapid shitfest. Horrible.

And yes, the ones on Saturday that reacted like the sky was falling can all STILL FUCK OFF! Overreaction any way you slice it. 

+1!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope next era she does pull a "Beyonce" and just drop her album out of nowhere.....and that's it! No promo, no "video album", no videos at all in fact.....just NOTHING. Just drop it and the ones that want to hear it will find it. She can then go direct another movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kurt420 said:

I find it funny because the "fixed" version is NOT that far off from the original at all. Is doing Eurovision usually a one time thing for most artists? 

I hope so, watching some of the other performances from Sat was absolutely atrocious. That has to be the stupidest, tackiest crock of shit I've ever witnessed. They should be glad Madonna (off vocals and all) brought SOMETHING to that vapid shitfest. Horrible.

And yes, the ones on Saturday that reacted like the sky was falling can all STILL FUCK OFF! Overreaction any way you slice it. 

The only one fucking off from here soon will be you. You're incapable of any sort of reasoned discussion, a certifiable loon, and if I recall correctly, one of the scumbags who was actively working to destroy this forum. Feel free to go to any of the other numerous places on the internet today ("fan" forums included) who are literally calling Madonna a piece of talentless shit. You loons don't know how good you have it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...