EUROVISION! The aftermath!

9 minutes ago, JWAD said:

Yeah but you can be passionate about your work but you don't need gimmicks. The eye patch doesn't work and certainly not during a performance. The grillz limit her singing and you can't even see them on the TV. You can be stylish and have a theme (see Confessions and MDNA) but when you overdo it, it becomes a bit tacky (see Hard Candy boxer). Ditch the patch. Ditch those fucking grillz. Long live the Queen.

I feel like she been going overboard with her styling lately. The grill, the eye patch, the armor, etc. If I, the viewer, find it distracting and clunky, how must she feel? I think it's all distracting her but she's going with it because it fits the look she is going for. Unfortunately, it might be affecting the performance.

I understand Madonna is absolutely unapologetic etc etc etc and she has nothing to aplogize for HOWEVER our lady could turn this into an absolute opportunity, negative into a positive, of sorts! Let's face it EV was a PR disaster from the VERY beginning, even before Madonna was involved, mainly due to the Israel factor. I believe it would bode well for her to address the two controversies, one being the vocal and the other being her political statement PARTICULARLY while this is a huge story, I don't mean through her instagram or any other mild avenue but with a press conference explaining the vocal scenario, for whatever reason it was (I believe there was a reason) she is a perfectionist, it would provide some light and shade while providing context instead of the usual blocking out the noise of 'whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger' attitude, which frankly gets tired and can cause more harm than good. Madonna could use a press conference to announce a charity or some other philanthropic cause for the problems in Israel and Palestine while addressing everything that has occurred and actually put it to bed and follow up with a killer performance similar to the simplicity of Borderline on Jimmy Fallon, Madonna is never going to have the voice of a soprano but the girl can sing. The fact we still have to defend her vocal abilities after forty years is exhausting and normally I would say let's walk away its just 'white noise' but this time I believe it needs addressing.

4 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I feel like she been going overboard with her styling lately. The grill, the eye patch, the armor, etc.

"Madame X is a Mr. Potato Head..."

2 hours ago, vertigokane said:

The extreme negative reaction seems to stem from something far deeper than some off pitch vocals — I’ve never seen a pop performance generate such swift and polarizing emotion. Madonna struck a nerve here, and I think it the crummy vocals are just what the (public) detractors are grasping onto as the reason for their disdain—I think folks are reviling it because she turned the “formulaic pop performance” that folks were expecting on it’s head—there was a subversive darkness to it that caught me off guard, and I imagine even more so if you were expecting a joyful, frothy performance. To me it came across as more of a modern art performance centered around creating a mood and aura rather than centered around the music.  LAP was used as a tool for the whole. This was pure Madonna vision on display. Watching it live, it took my breath away, and I found it to actually be genius, and I still do. She clearly didn’t want to do a SuperBowl style performance—she knows how better than anyone. She was intentional in her vision, and the fact that it’s so polarizing publicly actually shows she did something that was pushing the envelope in a new way (because who in their right mind gets that upset over some pitchy vocals...?) It’s almost as if the general public refuses to let her be subversive like this because she’s a “pop star”, and she’s breaking some unsaid rule. Also, the fact she did this at Eurovision, where the contrast couldn’t be greater between the mood of the evening and her performance shows her intentionality. 

Forgive me if I missed it, but I haven’t seen anyone put forth the possibility that the reason for the intensity and duration of the vitriol online is that Madonna’s message of unity went directly against current American-Israeli policy dictated by Trump and Netanyahu, and the majority of insane right wing agenda talking points are driven by think tanks, trolls and bots as propaganda across the internet. Madonna really has no shortage of detractors and enemies. I wouldn’t expect this to get better, which is even more of a reason for her to continue doing what she is now focused on doing...however, a little more focus on her vocal prowess would really make her message more effective. She had a major platform and her vision required that she deliver a flawless performance because:

1. She is Madonna, and she is more scrutinized than any other living artist or entertainer.

2. Her message was contentiously provocative in ways that are mind-bogglingly complex. The Israeli-Palestinian dilemma has outlasted centuries of geo-political revolution. It’s easy to see why it was a gamble to allude to it in allegory, notably in the Shakespearean Dark Ballet interlude. 

3. The platform was apolitical. There is resentment for the sheer audacity of Madonna’s deceptive approach to the opportunity offered to her to present her work. I don’t endorse this sentiment...You book Madonna, you get more than you bargained for. 

She delivered a high-caliber performance, but it was flawed and potentially alienating to the audience. She knew exactly what she would get for this. I don’t think the vocal revisionism was a smart move, but in a year’s time, no one will care that the vocals were tampered with in post-production. 

Madonna is no victim. She is brave, audacious and calculating. 

I commend her focused artistry. I never doubt her resilience. I hope other fans can agree.

Edited by Herfaceremains

2 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I feel like she been going overboard with her styling lately. The grill, the eye patch, the armor, etc. If I, the viewer, find it distracting and clunky, how must she feel? I think it's all distracting her but she's going with it because it fits the look she is going for. Unfortunately, it might be affecting the performance.

It's also putting up a barrier between her and the general public. They just see someone trying too hard then it gives them fuel to bash her about her age and retirement. The Madame X theme is good but if had been done in a more natural way then people would find it cool and not someone dressing up in costumes trying to get attention. The armour we saw already multiple times, the grillz since 2011, the eye patch looks like a Kill Bill knock off. Strip it back, give us a femme fatale camelion who can cut a bitch, not a fucking cha cha instructor with a slap head wig (Andy should have been fired for that) who magically becomes a blonde bride in a cheap looking wedding dress and that fucking eye patch. I want to see more of the Crave Madonna, cool, edgy, stylish and fucking awesome. This look is how you do style perfectly.

6 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

I understand Madonna is absolutely unapologetic etc etc etc and she has nothing to aplogize for HOWEVER our lady could turn this into an absolute opportunity, negative into a positive, of sorts! Let's face it EV was a PR disaster from the VERY beginning, even before Madonna was involved, mainly due to the Israel factor. I believe it would bode well for her to address the two controversies, one being the vocal and the other being her political statement PARTICULARLY while this is a huge story, I don't mean through her instagram or any other mild avenue but with a press conference explaining the vocal scenario, for whatever reason it was (I believe there was a reason) she is a perfectionist, it would provide some light and shade while providing context instead of the usual blocking out the noise of 'whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger' attitude, which frankly gets tired and can cause more harm than good. Madonna could use a press conference to announce a charity or some other philanthropic cause for the problems in Israel and Palestine while addressing everything that has occurred and actually put it to bed and follow up with a killer performance similar to the simplicity of Borderline on Jimmy Fallon, Madonna is never going to have the voice of a soprano but the girl can sing. The fact we still have to defend her vocal abilities after forty years is exhausting and normally I would say let's walk away its just 'white noise' but this time I believe it needs addressing.

You forgot the part about the press/ conferences being decorated with hydrangeas. 🤣🤣🤣

All jokes aside, as much as she d never do something like that I think she should address the whole thing somehow in a way that feels organc and natural to her. If she did a Youtube livr of her singing La Vie en rose with her ukelele 🌹 

10 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I don’t understand who’s dressing her lately and whos is suggested her that eyepatch is a good idea? 😄  This is what we get when she surrounded by ‘YES’ people. 

27 minutes ago, Royal T said:

Why she doesn’t understand that she doesn’t need to try hard. Shes the fucking queen of pop. She earned her status and she doesn’t need to prove anything to anyone. Now she’s trying to hard with all these heavy costumes grillz and that crappy eyepatch. Minimal Madonna is the best Madonna.  It really hurts when i see all this negativity. She had perfect opportunity to make best promo for a new era and she fucked up, fucked up hard.   Now all Europe talking how bad she was, how bad she looked and sounded. Let’s wait few more days and everyone will forgets all that mess. 

I really like the eyepatch, but the costume looked very restrictive and seemed to limit her movement.  I think her face is looking beautiful right now, so it would have been great if she'd come on in a more a simple, but flattering outfit and looked stunning and delivered an amazing show-stopping performance. That's all it would've taken to get a lot of people back on board.   

Whilst there are  many who are only too happy to see her fail, Madonna's brilliance can be enough to silence her critics, which is what happened with Live8 after her reputation had taken a hit following American Life, and perfectly laid the ground for the release of HU/COAD.

Guest eroticerotic
24 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

We have allowed her to have not "an", but MANY "off" vocal days at this point, please.

The extreme delusion among her fans is just downright scary. 

But every singer out there has had many. 

shes had the privilege of being able to give many high profile performances live therefore the chance of some to be off are higher. 

She never prioritized vocals on stage like a  Mariah or xstina (and they’ve had worse off days). 

Her ray of light vma and power of goodbye fashion awards vocals and the American life on the record promo gig had much worse vocals. People didn’t bat an eye

the whole reaction was more than just about the vocals..

Anyway,  this is a dead horse now !

The way I was raised, you don’t kick someone when they are down (M is more critical of herself that we will ever be of her), but you show your true colors by helping them RISE above it. Swallowing any mixed fillings you  have about the live Eurovision performance and clicking LIKE on the performance video would be a good way to show your support for her overall career and ultimate wish, which I hope we all share, for more live performances from Queen M.

1 minute ago, slam3000 said:

I really like the eyepatch, but the costume looked very restrictive and seemed to limit her movement.  I think her face is looking beautiful right now, so it would have been great if she'd come on in a more a simple, but flattering outfit and looked stunning and delivered an amazing show-stopping performance. That's all it would've taken to get a lot of people back on board.   

Whilst there are  many who are only too happy to see her fail, Madonna's brilliance can be enough to silence her critics, which is what happened with Live8 after her reputation had taken a hit following American Life, and perfectly laid the ground for the release of HU/COAD.

I love the eye patch as well. Its a character for Madame X. David Bowie did it. I love it when M is theatrical. Dita gold tooth. Its over the top and I love it. She looked so iconic in medellin video and artwork for album.

7 hours ago, Msig said:

No.. Danish music magazine Gaffa is now reporting that Madonna is trying to cover up her Eurovision "failure" by uploading a 'fixed' version of the performance on her YouTube channel.

They also ask their readers a question: What is more embarrassing – admitting that you sang off key on live television or trying to make it sound like it never happened?

She can never win! I have seen comments imply that she is trying to deceive people! The malice of today's world is just abhorrent.

6 hours ago, Shaun said:

Like A Prayer didn’t sound good. The rest of the performance was stunning. Seems like a lot of overreaction.

3 hours ago, alquemist said:

Jesus, the so-called difference between these two "versions" is not something any sane person should consider worthy of getting their knickers in a twist (Is that even an idiom, I am not a native speaker lol) Still, thank you for the post - next.

I agree with both of you, @Shaun and @alquemist. It's been all so blown out of proportion, as if she is some sort of horrible criminal. Her haters are having a total feast, and that's what I can't stand, really! It really hurts seeing a woman I love so much be dragged like she's been because of a bad performance.

34 minutes ago, Mattress said:

Here's a ROUGH example of in-ear monitors gone awry. Live on the Today show, Debbie Harry sang the first few lines of this song in a completely different key than the rest of the music.

(starts @ 2:02)

Poor Debbie. She looks pissed. I've seen that happen to other singers too. You can tell they can't hear themselves and they look at the band completely helpless.

In my opinion the best thing for her to do now would be to focus on the 2nd single Crave. The song sounds lovely without being too complicated and it makes the softer side of her come out, which I like a lot. Also, as soneone said her looks in the video and audio are flawless, definitely something that needs to be exposed to the audience now.

Edited by Fitho

30 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

I understand Madonna is absolutely unapologetic etc etc etc and she has nothing to aplogize for HOWEVER our lady could turn this into an absolute opportunity, negative into a positive, of sorts! Let's face it EV was a PR disaster from the VERY beginning, even before Madonna was involved, mainly due to the Israel factor. I believe it would bode well for her to address the two controversies, one being the vocal and the other being her political statement PARTICULARLY while this is a huge story, I don't mean through her instagram or any other mild avenue but with a press conference explaining the vocal scenario, for whatever reason it was (I believe there was a reason) she is a perfectionist, it would provide some light and shade while providing context instead of the usual blocking out the noise of 'whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger' attitude, which frankly gets tired and can cause more harm than good. 

The fact we still have to defend her vocal abilities after forty years is exhausting and normally I would say let's walk away its just 'white noise' but this time I believe it needs addressing.

Yes, yes, yes. 

People were so into those 3hours of bulimic cheap extravaganza that when they saw those giant words WAKE UP on the backscreens at the end of her performance must have felt guilty about their sleepy lives

This is why like it or not she has to do something fast to try help herself out of this . I don’t know what she can do but something . I have a feeling she knows this too 

7 minutes ago, Fitho said:

In my opinion the best thing for her to do now would be to focus on the 2nd single Crave. The song sounds lovely without being too complicated and it makes the softer side of her come out, which I like a lot. Also, as soneone said her looks in the video and audio are flawless, definitely something that needs to be exposed to the audience now.

Yes!

23 minutes ago, Eltacubo said:

I love the eye patch as well. Its a character for Madame X. David Bowie did it. I love it when M is theatrical. Dita gold tooth. Its over the top and I love it. She looked so iconic in medellin video and artwork for album.

That was the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s. This is 2019 and these things have been now done to death. They are now seen as gimmicks not innovation. I love Bowie and Dita but S&M Cha Cha instructor and Cowboy Bride don't work anymore. Cravedonna does. Bitch Madonna does. Styled perfectly and no gimmicks in sight. 

1 minute ago, JWAD said:

That was the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s. This is 2019 and these things have been now done to death. They are now seen as gimmicks not innovation. I love Bowie and Dita but S&M Cha Cha instructor and Cowboy Bride don't work anymore. Cravedonna does. Bitch Madonna does. Styled perfectly and no gimmicks in sight. 

Preach man

39 minutes ago, CalinB said:

The way I was raised, you don’t kick someone when they are down (M is more critical of herself that we will ever be of her), but you show your true colors by helping them RISE above it.

THIS.  :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well. There’s a fine line between a concept and a gimmick. And i think this is one occasion where the eye patch and the “x” all over the place could’ve been given a rest to let the met gala aesthetic shine. Too much going on there...There are ways to remind people that you have a new album coming out without beating them over the head about it. 

16 minutes ago, RyanAnth4 said:

This is why like it or not she has to do something fast to try help herself out of this . I don’t know what she can do but something . I have a feeling she knows this too 

It was a performance with some flat notes. It's not career-ending or something she has to "help herself out of". Jeesh.

Just now, Shaun said:

It was a performance with some flat notes. It's not career-ending or something she has to "help herself out of". Jeesh.

not like she exposed her boob

3 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

Well. There’s a fine line between a concept and a gimmick. And i think this is one occasion where the eye patch and the “x” all over the place could’ve been given a rest to let the met gala aesthetic shine. Too much going on there...There are ways to remind people that you have a new album coming out without beating them over the head about it. 

She did that already with Rebel Heart at the Met Gala. She should just go all out like Macy Gray.

macy-gray-madonna-album-promo-dress.jpg