EUROVISION! The aftermath!

6 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

Back in 1998 when she was fresh from the voice training. Now this is truly horrible. Esc has nothing on this.

Back in 1998, it wasn't this performance but the one from VH1 Fashion Awards that made me feel (I suppose) some of the members now are feeling. Basically, all of her ROL promo vocals were bad in my opinion. ROL from Oprah is the only exception and that certainly wasn't completely live.

1 minute ago, dollhouse said:

I agree. Too bad few bum notes overshadowed everything else.

Its ridicilous really but understandable since this was a singing competition, kinda.

The thing is, for once, her message wasnt controversial. She didn't aim for peace. She pointed out a reality. So they had to find something to complain about. But this is all out of hand now. 

3 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Nope. She could have done better imo. And she proved with other beautiful performances in the RHT. Some singers warm the voice for a very long time before any performance. Maybe Madonna does too, we don't know. I would love to know the preparation of performances. 

I thought she sounded as good as she is ever going to singing Nothing compares 2 U. It just wasn't her song. I couldn't believe when I read she's doing THAT song I though fuck that's brave M to take that on.

In my opinion it wasn't that she was having a bad day it's just she couldn't belt it out really impressively.

It was never going to be the Prince song she could sing the best.

First of all I loved the performance; found it brilliant. I know no one cares, but since so many people repeat their criticism over and over, I might as well keep saying that I loved it.

Second, I hate fake news so would like to confirm: was Madonna actually flat and they tampered with and replaced her vocals for the upload, or was it a bad mix and they simply adjusted that for the upload? I would genuinely like to know what was done.

Third, the dramatic reactions of some of you make me feel nervous about your blood pressure. I am not referring to the measured, calm criticisms of people like Kim and Confessit, but some of you who are acting like you’re physically ill and headed into depression must not have been around during the Erotica era when she was actually hated?? You would have had panic attacks, although of course we didn’t have the atrocity that is social media then.

Just now, Danmacevents said:

The thing is, for once, her message wasnt controversial. She didn't aim for peace. She pointed out a reality. So they had to find something to complain about. But this is all out of hand now. 

Yes, but im happy people can see the fixed video on her channel

Just now, Danmacevents said:

I mean we've established she could have sang it better. Maybe if Mike Dean was less stoned he could have done something there and then. I was furious at his "Eurovision prep" photo with a big fat spliff in his hand. Now I'm a smoker but NEVER if I have something to do. 

Yeah but wasn't Madge joining in as well?  :smoke:

It's all FRIGHTFULLY VULGAR when one has a show to do.

1 minute ago, Shane said:

First of all I loved the performance; found it brilliant. I know no one cares, but since so many people repeat their criticism over and over, I might as well keep saying that I loved it.

Second, I hate fake news so would like to confirm: was Madonna actually flat and they tampered with and replaced her vocals for the upload, or was it a bad mix and they adjusted that for the upload?

Third, the dramatic reactions of some of you make me feel nervous about your blood pressure. I am not referring to the measured, calm criticisms of people like Kim and Confessit, but some of you who are acting like you’re physically ill and headed into depression must not have been around during the Erotica era when she was actually hated?? You would have had panic attacks although of course corse we didn’t have the atrocity that is social media then.

I suspect it was mostly a bad mix with some bad vocals coz she didnt hear herself properly

14 minutes ago, karbatal said:

And we could notice this in the Prince homage. Maybe this all makes Madonna take care of the voice again. I'm sure that if trained again she can give fantastic performances again. 

Well I feel like Madonna was doing her best for the Prince tribute but it had some of the same (external) problems as here. A terrible backing track and non immersive sound mix.

1 minute ago, Kim said:

If she was I'd be very shocked. Unless this whole performance was a massive protest. I didn't get the sense she's enjoyed herself at all. 

She's so socially awkward in interviews sometimes and I think it's when shes annoyed. Haha 

the portuguese young guitarist was also there. check loic mabanza ‘s instagram for a video of the musicians. at least thats looking good for the theatre shows. lets hope mike dean and others arent joining

19 minutes ago, samosamosamo said:

We all know she will be fine! I still remember the night she performed  the power of goodbye for a MTV thing in Italy. That was the moment she was training her voice and it was really a bad performance. Maybe one thing I'm starting  to dislike is the overly staged kitch design she is using. Her best recent performances to me are the Rebel heart version of like a virgin and the tv performance of BIM. less theatrics more madonna. Even Medellin was great because of the live energy not the holograms or the kitch scenography. Basically less is more sometimes even with madonna 

I think it's hard to compare these. Firstly, when she sang Power of goodbye she was having an ignited career and a truly amazing album behind her. Everybody loved her. Media included. Secondly, when she sang POG social media didn't exist. Only us fans remember this performance. I mean how the ESC performance has spread through almost all big and small media outlets. It's just crazy. Today at work everybody talked about her performance (and it's not a place full of gays). Friends I talked to after the performance talked about it and FB and IG has been full of posts regarding this.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, and believe me, I'm one of the first persons to defend Madonna, but I think some kind of damage control is needed here. Her reputation as a live artist has been affected by this. Which is not good considering one of her main form of expression as an artist today (as it is for most artists today) is through live performances.

In my humble opinion , It comes down to wisdom , which is really what I feel allot of us want from Madonna , her wisdom .. and she has plenty ! 

As i see it , when one is in youth ... you haven’t the wisdom .. so the drag , the effects , the vocal manipulations ... the spectacle ... give the spirit of wisdom a chance to shine through and be found .... when one has the wisdom , all of those things distract from the wisdom , and somehow it dilute’s it’s  power ... 

I believe Pop music hasn’t figured this part of the equation.... and Madonna , being the Queen if Pop ... is boldly experimenting and on the path to figuring out how to do/be that and make the foundation for the future of pop .... 

just some thoughts to share , 

She s not over people ... will never be over ... 

She holds too much wisdom to ever be over ... 

It’s all just learning how to translate to the people’s .

Anyway , I hope the day holds some enjoyment to be found .

And the tiny bit of wisdom I may have 

Madonna fans , step away from this horrible news cycle today , at least for bit ... put on at least 3 of your favourite M songs ... and dance for life ! Positive Vibes ! 

Or even take a walk and feel the the ground beneath your feet ..  how the sky fits heaven , and how Nothing really matters ... love is all we need .

Positive Vibes

I mean if Michael could release music after what he was accused off this will definitely pass. It's just not a nice week for her. There's been worse and there probably will be worse. It'll blow over soon. 

I think the one thing everyone here can agree on is she has GOT to get an actual BAND to play the music. This Casio '87 shit just ain't working. As far back as Confessions Tour I've thought her live band had a "cheap" sound to it. Some organic instrumentation would do wonders in all aspects IMO.

4 minutes ago, Danmacevents said:

If she was I'd be very shocked. Unless this whole performance was a massive protest. I didn't get the sense she's enjoyed herself at all. 

She's so socially awkward in interviews sometimes and I think it's when shes annoyed. Haha 

I take it back. I saw that photo on my phone yest and thought it was MADONNA in that pic with Mike Dean 🤣 I guess I'm just looking for any excuse to account for those croakles.

The interview was cute, a little awkward, and I was pleasantly shocked that they sneaked a close up camera onto her.

4 minutes ago, micco said:

I think it's hard to compare these. Firstly, when she sang Power of goodbye she was having an ignited career and a truly amazing album behind her. Everybody loved her. Media included. Secondly, when she sang POG social media didn't exist. Only us fans remember this performance. I mean how the ESC performance has spread through almost all big and small media outlets. It's just crazy. Today at work everybody talked about her performance (and it's not a place full of gays). Friends I talked to after the performance talked about it and FB and IG has been full of posts regarding this.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, and believe me, I'm one of the first persons to defend Madonna, but I think some kind of damage control is needed here. Her reputation as a live artist has been affected by this. Which is not good considering one of her main form of expression as an artist today (as it is for most artists today) is through live performances.

You are actually right. As soon as I posted it I made similar considerations. It's years she actually needs a bit of rebranding and I thought madame x was going on the right direction. 

2 minutes ago, Kim said:

I take it back. I saw that photo on my phone yest and thought it was MADONNA in that pic with Mike Dean 🤣 I guess I'm just looking for any excuse to account for those croakles.

The interview was cute, a little awkward, and I was pleasantly shocked that they sneaked a close up camera onto her.

Well she should accept them now she's deflated the face. Oh my ... Was the vocal power in the cheeks. WHAT HAS SHE DONE 🤭

OK, maybe I'm stupid, but she never sounds bad to me. Even this TPOG video which I've never seen before, you can see she's struggling a bit, but hey, I appreciate the effort and it still doesn't sound *bad* to me. I'll take this vocal over something technically perfect but souless any day.

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Second, I hate fake news so would like to confirm: was Madonna actually flat and they tampered with and replaced her vocals for the upload, or was it a bad mix and they adjusted that for the upload?

The sound in the new video is not adjusted, it's completely exchanged with another voice recording, maybe from the rehearsals.

8 hours ago, Fitho said:

Btw my mother asked me why she didn't perform Candy Shop, I still think she considers this to be huge hit of hers. 😂😂

Haha that's funny!

My mom actually called me from out of state to praise the performance, and say how unique she is. 

Think she liked it better than the Madonna fans.

4 minutes ago, Kim said:

Does she really not allow close ups I've recwatched it and you are right no close ups.

3 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

The sound in the new video is not adjusted, it's completely exchanged with another voice recording, maybe from the rehearsals.

I don't think so. 

Just now, Confessit said:

Does she really not allow close ups I've recwatched it and you are right no close ups.

What was with the camera work? At one point the stage wasn’t even in shot. I don’t even know what that was, the screen?

Just now, Bette Davis Dub said:

i'm not sure. there are certain notes that are obviously pitch-adjusted, so even if it was pulled from another performance it was also auto-tuned. 

my new theory is that she was singing live with auto-tune to correct any pitch problems and i think she might have been so consistently off pitch that the auto-tune was trying to correct to the wrong note, which actually made her sound worse.

Just now, tasteinmen said:

What was with the camera work? At one point the stage wasn’t even in shot. I don’t even know what that was, the screen?

I think everyone was nervous about what she was going to do I noticed when the flags where noted by the camera people it panned away to show a long shot of the stage.

1 minute ago, tasteinmen said:

At the end? I thought that maybe was the producers cutting away from the Palestinian flag? 

6 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

I know you're probably referring to the couple of lines where the melody is completely different but that's easily achieved with autotune. The whole track is tuned to death.

4 minutes ago, Confessit said:

It's been noticeable for years in her TV performances. It must be in her contract.

13 minutes ago, Kim said:

By the looks of things this HELLISH thread shall remain active FOR A LITTLE WHILE Baba Kim...:smile: