EUROVISION! The aftermath!

I've watched it a few times since. It's not bad at all really, once the initial shock is haha. The screens are so impressive. The visuals. My issue with it was that LAP was so bloody morbid. There was no joy. I know the statement isn't a joyous one. But we could have had a HINT if happiness somewhere. 

And anyway, booking Madonna then being shocked about controversy is like eating a kilo of ice cream a day and being shocked you've gotten fat. 

Guest CzarnaWisnia

It's fine if M wants to be political in her performances, that's nothing new, however I never liked a Madonna performance because it was political but in spite of it. Execution is paramount. Aesthetics are paramount. Artists are not activists. They can be, but it's usually artists who have actually lived experiences that justify their activism. When a highly successful multimillionaire American artist blunders into an old and complicated international war situation overseas with simplistic "messages" like "world peace please!" and "wake up, idiots", it can be seen as ridiculous. I don't see the point she was trying to make. War is bad? Duh.

I agree with some criticisms made here about the EV performance: vocal fatigue, bad song choice with Future (a mood killer). But the visual aspects were fine, I didn't see a lack of energy, her costume was fantastic, the lighting effects and projections were impressive, the choreo was on, she looked flawless, etc. (Quavo is a mess, should have been dumped after that comatose Plantain Blasé tripe.) The Dark Ballet interlude was simply amazing. It felt otherwordly. There's a richness in tone there that would have contributed better to her political "messaging". It seemed more theatrical than anything else there. She seemed to be stepping into something new, and to light up at that moment (after drudging through LAP).

Oh well...

I can’t believe the amount of shit this woman takes. So what if a small part of Like A Prayer was out of tune.

The things I’ve read online about how she should retire, give up etc makes my blood boil.

Pure ageism and misogyny. 

At the 'End of the World' there will be Cher, Cockroaches and now seemingly, everyone criticising Madonna's performance at Eurovision.😂

3 minutes ago, animalinstinct said:

I can’t believe the amount of shit this woman takes. So what if a small part of Like A Prayer was out of tune.

The things I’ve read online about how she should retire, give up etc makes my blood boil.

Pure ageism and misogyny. 

+1

4 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

It's fine if M wants to be political in her performances, that's nothing new, however I never liked a Madonna performance because it was political but in spite of it. Execution is paramount. Aesthetics are paramount. Artists are not activists. They can be, but it's usually artists who have actually lived experiences that justify their activism. When a highly successful multimillionaire American artist blunders into an old and complicated international war situation overseas with simplistic "messages" like "world peace please!" and "wake up, idiots", it can be seen as ridiculous. I don't see the point she was trying to make. War is bad? Duh.

I agree with some criticisms made here about the EV performance: vocal fatigue, bad song choice with Future (a mood killer). But the visual aspects were fine, I didn't see a lack of energy, her costume was fantastic, the lighting effects and projections were impressive, the choreo was on, she looked flawless, etc. (Quavo is a mess, should have been dumped after that comatose Plantain Blasé tripe.) The Dark Ballet interlude was simply amazing. It felt otherwordly. There's a richness in tone there that would have contributed better to her political "messaging". It seemed more theatrical than anything else there. She seemed to be stepping into something new, and to light up at that moment (after drudging through LAP).

Oh well...

I agree with this. And usually a Madonna performance is stellar. And yesterday it wasn't. There aren't any room for mistakes when you are a mega super star and have 10 min in a show to do two songs for 200 million viewers. The reactions are proof of that. Of course this performance doesn't take away her legacy or her status, it was just a little unfortunate. 

12 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Oh well...

Agree 100%. Great post.

Sorry but anyone saying it was only “a few notes” or “a small part” of LAP that was out of tune is either tone deaf or delusional. There were more off-key notes than there were on-key...but that’s beside the point and we don’t need to downplay the reality of what happened. The performance still delivered in many, many other ways and should be applauded for that. Onwards and upwards...

20 minutes ago, Danmacevents said:

And anyway, booking Madonna then being shocked about controversy is like eating a kilo of ice cream a day and being shocked you've gotten fat. 

The organizers and fans obviously expected something more cheerful and uplifting, like her performances at the Super Bowl, Live 8, Grammys or Billboard Music Awards, to party at this camp pop festival.

Not her best day, no. But I’m so proud of her for the focus on the conflict. Read one comment saying something like: “the Arabs are the real occupants, they have occupied Jerusalem for several hundred years”.

Where should the inhabitants go? I’m so glad she chose to focus on this conflict, and how her focus was peace in the region. It’s important that people are made aware of this.

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
6 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Oh well...

Hey, take no offense at all, and I agree with some of what you say, but I have to counter the bold with an argument:  😉

It's not like Madonna was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.  Certainly, she may have not experienced poverty, religious oppression and living in a country that is constantly dodging missiles and and at war, but I don't see why that should keep her from speaking up. Why would it make someone seem "ridiculous" for sticking up for humanity and what they feel is right?  I don't believe it speaking against just a "War".  I think it's about the deeply rooted problems that leads up to and keeps the war going.  The way people are oppressed and constantly dehumanized for religious beliefs and lifestyles, etc. 

I see Madonna like a modern day John Lennon or one can say Joan of Arc.  Probably not as active politically as either one was, but she certainly is fighting a similar fight they have been fighting.  Most art reflects what is going on in one's life around them, whether it's obviously painted or hidden with innuendos. Madonna has always fought for humanity and whether she is part of that War or not, she justifiably can say she has experienced oppression or seen it happen before her eyes being she's been around the world quite a many times.  I would think with all the crap thrown at her for even performing and people begging her to back out, she had to say and do something to make it clear where she stands. 

5 minutes ago, Amelia said:

Hey, take no offense at all, and I agree with some of what you say, but I have to counter the bold with an argument:  😉

It's not like Madonna was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.  Certainly, she may have not experienced poverty, religious oppression and living in a country that is constantly dodging missiles and and at war, but I don't see why that should keep her from speaking up. Why would it make someone seem "ridiculous" for sticking up for humanity and what they feel is right?  I don't believe it speaking against just a "War".  I think it's about the deeply rooted problems that leads up to and keeps the war going.  The way people are oppressed and constantly dehumanized for religious beliefs and lifestyles, etc. 

I see Madonna like a modern day John Lennon or one can say Joan of Arc.  Probably not as active politically as either one was, but she certainly is fighting a similar fight they have been fighting.  Most art reflects what is going on in one's life around them, whether it's obviously painted or hidden with innuendos. Madonna has always fought for humanity and whether she is part of that War or not, she justifiably can say she has experienced oppression or seen it happen before her eyes being she's been around the world quite a many times.  I would think with all the crap thrown at her for even performing and people begging her to back out, she had to say and do something to make it clear where she stands. 

Great , educate them...that s what she s born to

when you search for madonna or madonna and Eurovision on youtube, there's some shady videos and video titles with edited performances.. I reported a few of them. I don't know if this will work, but perhaps if more of us report them, they'll get deleted?

2 minutes ago, Nikki said:

when you search for madonna or madonna and Eurovision on youtube, there's some shady videos and video titles with edited performances.. I reported a few of them. I don't know if this will work, but perhaps if more of us report them, they'll get deleted?

We should get Madonna's unofficial community manager @CalinB involved.

1 hour ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

The organizers and fans obviously expected something more cheerful and uplifting, like her performances at the Super Bowl, Live 8, Grammys or Billboard Music Awards to party at this camp pop festival.

They all had expectations. Especially that billionaire that paid for her performance made pretty clear why he hired her. To make Israel look good. And here lies the problem. No one likes to be instrumentalized and Madonna will be the last person on earth to let herself to be instrumentalized. Never has, never will. Even if that means negative consequences. Quite frankly, her performance was a big fuck you to the mindset of people participating in that hypocrisy of a show. The fact that this happened in Israel with a very problematic political situation just magnified that. God forbid, someone makes a stand. How dare she to rain on the parade, on this great great European love fest that is meant to spead love and understanding. Of course people want is simple. Hence the cheesy pop songs. And make it danceable. Or at least write a sad love song. Because that is so relatable. Everything about the Eurovision is the lowest common denominator. The only person that did expect too much here, was Madonna. 

1 hour ago, boy skeffington said:

No one outside Madonna fans last night care anything about Eurovision in the US. It was also a surreal futuristic performance that made a statement. Without the pitch insanity it’s an accurate description.

If anyone’s negative social media commentary  or Piers Morgan moaning is enough to create a narrative then we are all doomed. TMZ rules.

The outage should be her dancer being detained at the airport for wearing a flag on her costume.

I agree. I have not seen the media cover this in the US. It's just been people bitching online.

8 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I agree. I have not seen the media cover this in the US. It's just been people bitching online.

no facebook rants at all on Eurovision here in US

32 minutes ago, Sky Fits Heaven said:

What do you mean? Does she ever take them out?

:britwtf:

I fucking hope so! 

24 minutes ago, juliebean said:

here is a nice hq of the full performance

I’m in the minority but I really enjoyed it all- vocals were shaky to start but otherwise was a good performance, didn’t expect so much negativity. Loved the interval!

1 minute ago, Toni said:

Yea, and a big fat arse as well. Someone crucify the bitch! :comp: 🤣🤣

Why? I adore the grillz and the booty! 

Just now, Boki_D said:

Why? I adore the grillz and the booty! 

Good, good. I thought you were another reaching for more to complain about 😘

People are exhausting :dramatic:

45 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

The organizers and fans obviously expected something more cheerful and uplifting, like her performances at the Super Bowl, Live 8, Grammys or Billboard Music Awards, to party at this camp pop festival.

We are missing that nearly the entire audience pulled out phones as soon as she was introduced to film and therefore limiting their audience interaction to get the visual for their social media lives. The power of disengagement and virtual living.