EUROVISION! The aftermath!

1 hour ago, Confessit said:

Even on pictures Quavo looks like a fish out of water poor love.

In his defense/M’s defense.... Quavo has always looked that way.

Fish eyes - big, bulbous, and with absolutely no brain behind them.... poor thing 

It would be really nice to come here & see people discussing the theatrical side of the performance.

I think we have mostly agreed that the LAP section could have been better & that it's difficult to walk down stairs in time, sideways, while wearing an eye patch & a long, heavy costume. Especially when you're supposed to be singing & (likely) having technical problems.

I know, I know  "she shouldn't have worn the eye patch then" but maybe it's part of the message of this album, maybe it fits & we just haven't been told why yet.

This morning my husband asked what Madonna did, was she in trouble? I said meh, she sang LAP a bit ropey but then she did THIS - I showed him the middle part and explained it was in Tel Aviv and explained about the flag at the end - he watched, raised eyebrows and said “fair balls to her”

Bravedonna ❤️

Can you imagine the full version of that middle bit :dramatic:

2 minutes ago, blackmamba109 said:

In his defense/M’s defense.... Quavo has always looked that way.

Fish eyes - big, bulbous, and with absolutely no brain behind them.... poor thing 

I was gonna say....

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks

For me, after watching it over and over, the choreography was on point!  I'm a bit baffled by the fans who are "disappointed" or whatever by it.  Not every performance must be an energetic dance fest.  This was very theatrical and I expect this is what we're are going to see more of with the new tour.  I specifically thought the choreography among the spoken part and throughout Future was excellent.  I just hope some fans can realize that it doesn't always have to be her dancing like a maniac with a lot of energy to show how great of a performer she is and how much she is into it.  She obviously was into this, and it was a very theatrical presentation.  There are performers half her age who still can't keep up with what she did last night!

This article from cnn.com is pretty accurate. I love the description of the show. The performance was great, classic amazing Madonna. The outrage against her will always be there...and will magnify. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/18/europe/madonna-eurovision-israel-scli-intl/index.html

Her futuristic and somewhat surreal set dressing attracted plenty of attention on social media.

Just now, Amelia said:

For me, after watching it over and over, the choreography was on point!  I'm a bit baffled by the fans who are "disappointed" or whatever by it.  Not every performance must be an energetic dance fest.  This was very theatrical and I expect this is what we're are going to see more of with the new tour.  I specifically thought the choreography among the spoken part and throughout Future was excellent.  I just hope some fans can realize that it doesn't always have to be her dancing like a maniac with a lot of energy to show how great of a performer she is and how much she is into it.  She obviously was into this, and it was a very theatrical presentation.  There are performers half her age who still can't keep up with what she did last night!

Yes! The entire performance is a dance. Everything she does on the steps is choreographed. 

14 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

It's traumatizing :lmao:

Its nowhere near the CATASTROPHICAL event people are making it out to be but yeah. M was always praised for her amazing performances and seeing ppl say it was boring (among other vicious shading thrown at her)is a huge blow to our ego as fans.

it's disappointing to see the limited ways people think or express themselves online and in the media.. very sad.. even if I wouldn't be a fan of madonna I'd praise the theatrics and visuals.. they're so strong. how can anyone be blind to that and just focus on a few off key notes? I really don't get people..

43 minutes ago, runa said:

Let me repeat the key word:

Stairs

Eyepatch

Of course I'm taking in charge these elements, but even so, there were stairs at the super bowl as well. She has done a lot of difficult things. If the stairs and the eyepatch is the reason for her being static, which I doubt, then remove it from the performance. 

And I'm not hating on her, I still enjoy the performance, but it's undeniable that she is slowing down a lot her performances, which make me think how is it going to be this new tour. 

Just now, Nikki said:

it's disappointing to see the limited ways people think or express themselves online and in the media.. very sad.. even if I wouldn't be a fan of madonna I'd praise the theatrics and visuals.. they're so strong. how can anyone be blind to that and just focus on a few off key notes? I really don't get people..

The negative articles in the media are from the usual suspects though (ie. The Daily Mail, etc.).   I'd be surprised if these wrote a complementary article.   

1 hour ago, AlanLongoria said:

She should have invited MaluMAN on stage and perform Soltera, Medellin and a La Isla Bonita duet. Un concepto.

But then she probably would've had to scrap the 'political statement' altogether... And then gotten dragged for not addressing the conflict. :dazed:

1 minute ago, LVX said:

But then she probably would've had to scrap the 'political statement' altogether... And then gotten dragged for not addressing the conflict. :dazed:

She could imply La Isla Bonita is a place where everyone gets along et voila. Anyway I was joking, I loved the performance.

4 minutes ago, lautert said:

Of course I'm taking in charge these elements, but even so, there were stairs at the super bowl as well. She has done a lot of difficult things. If the stairs and the eyepatch is the reason for her being static, which I doubt, then remove it from the performance. 

And I'm not hating on her, I still enjoy the performance, but it's undeniable that she is slowing down a lot her performances, which make me think how is it going to be this new tour. 

Yeah I can understand what you mean, but she was already slowing down things in RHT, so don't see how it can be surprising now. 

And I'm pretty sure the fact she's going the intimate way for her new tour is a good indication it will be less "dancy"...

1 minute ago, rocknrolla said:

One thing that worries me is that one bad performance really can stop a career in its tracks.   Look at Mariahs NYE performance

what are u saying? didn't this diva just got praise with her icon award?

Just now, rocknrolla said:

One thing that worries me is that one bad performance really can stop a career in its tracks.   Look at Mariahs NYE performance

Mariah's career was dead long before that.

Nothing can stop Madonna's career. Not even 1992 stopped her, she'll be fine.

17 minutes ago, rebelvvv said:

As a fan I was a bit disappointed mostly because we all know what she's capable of even in 2019.  It's unfortunate that all that we know she can be didn't come across perfectly to such a mass audience is all.

That's exactly how I feel.

1 hour ago, AlanLongoria said:

She should have invited MaluMAN on stage and perform Soltera, Medellin and a La Isla Bonita duet. Un concepto.

I would love to see that!

Ciao papi!

1 minute ago, rocknrolla said:

Her career was dead long before that.  She was popular only around Christmas time because of that one song.   Not to diminish her legacy of course.  

Plus I thought the same after Madonna's fall during the Brits.  Now it's actually one of her greatest, most memorable performances (it's even uploaded in her official channel). 

12 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I completely agree. It actually made me look forward to this theatre tour a bit more. The interlude was perfectly executed. 

3 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

This was nowhere near as bad as that, calm down.

2 minutes ago, Nikki said:

what are u saying? didn't this diva just got praise with her icon award?

Yep.

9 minutes ago, lautert said:

Didn't M almost fall during SuperBowl? Then she fell for real during Brit awards! 

1 minute ago, runa said:

People have short memory : it's not the 1st time M fails a performance. Don't be silly.

exactly! Listen to her performance of TPOG and you'll know.

Just now, reQuiem4adream said:

Didn't M almost fall during SuperBowl? Then she fell for real during Brit awards! 

She did one step wrongly, but that was all. She did amazing things on that stairs with the dancers. Super bowl was full of energy and with a message as well, for me it's one of her best performances ever

You might like the performance or not, which is okay, but if you pay attention to what's beneath the criticism, it's rather transparent that it has nothing to do with her singing abilities, but with the fact that some people just can't cope with her still being around. Madonna has not based her entire career on having amazing control over her voice: she's not what you can call a vocalist. She's much more than that. I could understand it if someone like, let's say, Celine Dion had a somewhat poor vocal performance, given that her great voice is basically what she has to offer (with all due respect to her amazing, amazing voice), I could understand the meltdown, the criticism, the fear. But we are talking about Madonna, who is a far superior performer and a totally different animal. Would anybody have said that Bob Dylan's career or David Bowie's career or John Lennon's career were over after a not-so-brilliant vocal delivery? Would anybody have limited their contributions to music to just a nice singing voice? That is blatantly trying to diminish her talents and downplay her impact on music and culture. 

Social media is, in a way, a celebration of simplistic thinking and reductivism (look it up). Do you imagine what would have happened had social media existed at the times of Frida Khalo or Picasso? "Damm, man, that dude can't get a damn nose straight. He can't get no eyes in the right place. My 6 year-old-boy can do better than that". Or... "And she thinks she can paint, she can't even get proportions right, man, no doubt she can't even fix her own eyebrows". What would they have said about Egon Schiele or Man Ray or Oscar Wilde or Virginia Woolf? Guess what? They would have torn them to shreds because they wouldn't have been able to understand them. Nor do they understand Madonna, simple as that. 

In the end, our generation is not ready for a woman like Madonna. Wait thirty or forty years and we'll see what happens then. They will celebrate her then. Meanwhile, they're too busy now complaining about the fact that —oh, surprise—, she's a human being and somehow imperfect. Her voice can fail, what a scandal! 

I think that if a provocateur can get people so polarized and so galvanized just for not being perfect, he or she might be doing something right. I'm certain Madonna is. 

6 minutes ago, runa said:

Yeah I can understand what you mean, but she was already slowing down things in RHT, so don't see how it can be surprising now. 

And I'm pretty sure the fact she's going the intimate way for her new tour is a good indication it will be less "dancy"...

Exactly, for me it's just a reflection that she doesn't train the way she used to do, she's not exercising that much anymore. And I don't think it's age related, but only because she has 6 kids to raise. 

Well I'm a member here so I will say what I personally think.  

Like a prayer......could have been better vocal performance but didn't think it was as bad as people make out.  Probably the outfit didn't help Madonnas ability to move about.  What I did like was the visuals, the church theme with the red and black.  Madonna pulls religion off really well.  Well religion and sex together. 

Future.....loved this much more, the visuals were epic, yeah a bit over autotuned.  I found it up lifting and really enjoyed it.  Made me proud to be a fan. 

I will probably get burned alive for saying this but I would have preferred Madonna to perform her hit music at the show......And instead of the earlier bit in the show when she was talking, cut that out and they should have given her more time to sing.  Perhaps a hit from each decade.  

All the negativity just makes me sad.  Madonna has empowered me so much and still does, absolutely love her.