Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

Ok.

Now having taken the whole performance in, I really don't understand the doom and gloom. At all. Maybe not her best performance, but far from her worst.

Yes, the vocals were shaky. But nowhere near as bad as so many are making them out to be. It's mainly on the ending notes/words of certain lines, and she was clearly out of breath on those too (which contributed to lose of control on those vocals). But not exactly a new issue vocally for her. I agree with some that lowering the key a bit on LAP from now on (and with some other older songs) would probably be better for her vocally from here on out. As for musical direction...yes, she needs a total redo there. The music this time really deserves it. It needs the oomph of a real live band behind it. Not to mention, I think she would vocally (and staging-wise) be a bit stronger by bringing the backing vocalists back into the performances with her. Could have helped make those parts in a performance such as this that much stronger.

As for the overall staging and visuals - LOVED it. Not boring at all. Again, the proper use of projections (vs. these younger acts and their washed out stages). Loved the theatricality of it all, and am glad she does more than just dancing with a troop of robotic dancers behind her. She's been bringing the theater aspect in full force this era, and I am ALL for it.

Future is a fucking BOP. Love it.

As for entertainment value, the fact that she made the whole performance a theatrical statement, for an event like that, is why she is Madonna vs. some other mindless pop divas who would have just served easy escapist nostalgia in times like these. The fact that she actually showed up and didn't bow out like so many pressured her to is a prime example as to why she is a REAL artist vs. all the rest who would have pussied out as some sort of "boycott". She went on their turf and made that statement - Roger Waters and the "woke" brigade can all EAT IT. She is far more "rock n' roll" than they'll ever be.

1 minute ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Yeah the further I get from the performance time-wise and then revisit it, the better it gets. 

I will say this though; she needs to stop releasing such commercial throwaway songs as singles. Medellín is brilliant so I’m not talking about that, but as much as I like Crave and Future , they’re obvious ploys to get commercial success and by now Madonna and co should know it’s not happening. She’d probably do better releasing experimental album tracks that showcase her versatility and good taste to be honest 

Thank you, agree. 

2 minutes ago, peter said:

Thanks, @Mario Lopez, for that FB link for the video. I was able to watch it, at least. There was no audio during what I assume was Dark Ballet, but it came back for Future. (So strange!) But I appreciate it!

I also was able to watch the LAP portion before that — from a French Eurovision Twitter account on the EW article. But I couldn’t make the video any larger and it cut off before Dark Ballet...

Dark ballet part is spoken. something like "they think we are not aware of their crimes" "we know but we are not ready to act" "the storm isnt outside its inside of us" on some tchaikowsky.

That part, I LOVED.

3 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

I will say this though; she needs to stop releasing such commercial throwaway songs as singles. Medellín is brilliant so I’m not talking about that, but as much as I like Crave and Future , they’re obvious ploys to get commercial success and by now Madonna and co should know it’s not happening. She’d probably do better releasing experimental album tracks that showcase her versatility and good taste to be honest 

:clap:

I don't think it Doom and gloom. I think she just missed the mark on what she could have done for Eurovision. Hopefully people will have an interest in madame X. I guess we've seen her multiple times and know what she can do. I've defended her choices right to this second but future was a bad choice. I love the song. But the message was stronger than the song. 

I just saw it and loved it. She looked so beautiful. I loved the powerful backdrop and spoken part. The dancing was so cool. I'm so in love with all of her dancers for this era. Stunning! I can't wait to watch it again. 

6 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Yeah the further I get from the performance time-wise and then revisit it, the better it gets. 

Yes. I agree. I've felt that way for a few albums now. The best tracks have not been singles.

Like a prayer was not her worst but definitely not her best vocal performance. I'm tired of the Casio version as well.  Future was pure Madonna for me. The song, the backdrop videos, the choreography, the message were on point... the only downer was Quavo... His stage presence is pretty... correction he has no stage presence at all 😂

8 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Ok.

Now having taken the whole performance in, I really don't understand the doom and gloom. At all.

Yes, the vocals were shaky. But nowhere near as bad as so many are making them out to be. It's mainly on the ending notes/words of certain lines, and she was clearly out of breath on those too (which contributed to lose of control on those vocals). But not exactly a new issue vocally for her. I agree with some that lowering the key a bit on LAP from now on (and with some other older songs) would probably be better for her vocally from here on out. As for musical direction...yes, she needs a total redo there. The music this time really deserves it. It needs the oomph of a real live band behind it. Not to mention, I think she would vocally (and staging-wise) be a bit stronger by bringing the backing vocalists back into the performances with her. Could have helped make those parts in a performance such as this that much stronger.

As for the overall staging and visuals - LOVED it. Not boring at all. Again, the proper use of projections (vs. these younger acts and their washed out stages). Loved the theatricality of it all, and am glad she does more than just dancing with a troop of robotic dancers behind her. She's been bringing the theater aspect in full force this era, and I am ALL for it.

As for entertainment value, the fact that she made the whole performance a theatrical statement, for an event like that, is why she is Madonna vs. some other mindless pop divas who would have just served easy escapist nostalgia in times like these. The fact that she actually showed up and didn't bow out like so many pressured her to is a prime example as to why she is a REAL artist vs. all the rest who would have pussied out as some sort of "boycott". She went on their turf and made that statement - Roger Waters and the "woke" brigade can all EAT IT. She is far more "rock n' roll" than they'll ever be.

“You ain’t woke,” indeed. She showed up and she made statements.

As usual, I agree with all you have said, @VogueMusic. Is there room for improvement? Of course. But, while I would characterize this performance as “subdued,” it was dramatic and theatrical. The audience really seemed to respond to LAP well (from the audience vid I watched) — and the vocal imperfections were much less noticeable in that video, too, by the way. 

I think there’s a reason she didn’t show up wearing a leisure suit and singing, “Holiday.” And it’s not that couldn’t or shouldn’t have done that, either. But it is because she is an artist and she has a message to share. She tried to convey the importance of faith, peace, unity — learning from the past to not make the same mistakes of conflict with our neighbors. Healing, hope ... it was all there to digest, but some will not absorb it, I suppose. 

26 minutes ago, Nikki said:

how come you are so negative about it? don't you know that madonna is more than just vocals? you say nothing about the staging? the visuals? you can't say an entire thing is bad because you don't like the vocals.. you are ignoring a big part of the performance

The iconic lines "Live is a mystery, everyone must stand alone" are absolutely essential Madonna. If she is not able to sing them perfectly she shouldn't do it - especially not at the beginning of a performance that is seen by millions of vewers around the world. She spoiled her own performance completely in the first seconds. After that the performance did not get better.

15 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Ok.

Now having taken the whole performance in, I really don't understand the doom and gloom. At all. Maybe not her best performance, but far from her worst.

🙌🏼

3 minutes ago, Domlami said:

Like a prayer was not her worst but definitely not her best vocal performance. I'm tired of the Casio version as well.  Future was pure Madonna for me. The song, the backdrop videos, the choreography, the message were on point... the only downer was Quavo... His stage presence is pretty... correction he has no stage presence at all 😂

Omg this was my first time seeing Quavo perform and he is not a star. I’m sorry lol To be a star you HAVE to know how to perform. But I love Future so he’s forgiven lol 

I only managed to watch once 

LAP - nothing spectacular but not as bad as what was made out of it 

Interlude - was muted so unsure what it is

Future - Quite enjoyed the performance as I like the song.

I think madame x want her message to be heard thus that’s her priority over selecting friendly singalong songs to end her performance.

Also to add, may this a lesson for her not to wear grills during live performance 🤭🤭

Just now, waidexter said:

I only managed to watch once 

LAP - nothing spectacular but not as bad as what was made out of it 

Interlude - was muted so unsure what it is

Future - Quite enjoyed the performance as I like the song.

I think madame x want her message to be heard thus that’s her priority over selecting friendly singalong songs to end her performance.

Also to add, may this a lesson for her not to wear grills during live performance 🤭🤭

Oh, was she wearing grills? I couldn’t tell/see.

The muted part was explained by @ursula in the last page or so. (Thanks, ursula!) You can hear it in the video @Nonoka posted. It is not really Dark Ballet. It is a spoken passage from Madonna, and the underlying music is a sped up portion of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker. (Specifically the Marzipan section from the second act.)

Just now, peter said:

Oh, was she wearing grills? I couldn’t tell/see.

The muted part was explained by @ursula in the last page or so. (Thanks, ursula!) You can hear it in the video @Nonoka posted. It is not really Dark Ballet. It is a spoken passage from Madonna, and the underlying music is a sped up portion of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker. (Specifically the Marzipan section from the second act.)

Someone from the forum ran shazam on it and said it was identified as dark ballet. (in this topic) So, apparently, it is part of DB. 

A missed opportunity, I think. Besides the so-so vocals on Like a Prayer, the staging and the version being sung was just lifeless.

Future was better but the use of the vocal effects in a singing competition (and after Like a Prayer) was never going to impress the Eurovision audience.

What I will give her massive respect for is taking politics to this event. She really is fearless - better to be a part of Israel's Eurovision and make a powerful argument than to boycott it and silence oneself. 

19 minutes ago, ursula said:

Dark ballet part is spoken. something like "they think we are not aware of their crimes" "we know but we are not ready to act" "the storm isnt outside its inside of us" on some tchaikowsky.

That part, I LOVED.

Thanks ... I found this a little odd, but maybe only because I saw/heard it from the audience video. If I could pair that audio with the more official video, I’d probably be better able to grasp what’s going on there. 

I love the Nutcracker, seriously! I just wasn’t expecting that — was expecting a more Mirwais-influenced version of “Beautiful Game,” so that was a slight let-down for me, but I can get over it easily! Don’t mean to be overly critical.

Just now, ursula said:

Someone from the forum ran shazam on it and said it was identified as dark ballet. (in this topic) So, apparently, it is part of DB. 

Oh wow! Okay — thanks. So she must sample the Nutcracker in Dark Ballet, I guess...? Interesting!

1 minute ago, ursula said:

I do believe, even with the Nutcracker sampling, that it is dark ballet...

Just now, peter said:

Oh wow! Okay — thanks. So she must sample the Nutcracker in Dark Ballet, I guess...? Interesting!

Maybe? could be an intro/interlude/outro

There is a video on YouTube taken by a guy from the audience and it’s obvious how much everyone loved the performance! People were yelling on top of their lungs for our Queen! Future was performed in EPIC proportions! So there we go! 

Just now, ursula said:

Maybe? could be an intro/interlude/outro

Maybe it’s the verses and the prechorus is the part we heard at the met gala with a different chorus 

Just now, Mensch said:

Maybe it’s the verses and the prechorus is the part we heard at the met gala with a different chorus 

I'm excited to find out. June 7 🙂

I can't stop watching the Future part. Loved it the most.  Madonna, Quavo, and her dancers ended the performance with a bang. Visually stunning too with all the sparkles, backdrop, and lights. 

4 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

That's a pity, because "Beautiful Game" sounded so much more promising than this "new version".

WTH are you talking about? She didn’t perform Dark Balet aka Beautiful Game. She performed Future.