Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

Just now, david86 said:

I like when M looks happy performing, like BBMA. Last night she did not look happy. just unfortunate.

Quavo looked terrified tbh..

The performance does get a lot better with headphones and after a few repeats. 

Quavo just over did it with the coke beforehand poor love.

10 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Perhaps but the whole thing was unconventional. Quavo a rapper at Eurovision. Reggae Jamaican dancehall. Political protest in a competition about music not politics. 

Maybe she just thought fuck it I highly doubt Madonna has ever seen a Eurovision Song Contest.

Eurovision is such a massive promotional opportunity, I'm still shocked she didn't perform one of the actual singles (Medellin or Crave) and opted to do a random album track which quite frankly....isn't even that great. 

I love Madonna so much.....but she really makes me scratch my head sometimes :chuckle:

Re-watched it. The apocalyptic disaster a lot of people have painted is all in their head, clearly needing urgent medical attention. I enjoy it even more so today, apart from useless stoney Qunt as I said from the beginning. This was Madonna sticking two fingers up and a lot of people were too busy pandering to the naysayers and to their own self-important arrogance to even notice:

SHE ABSOLUTELY SLAYED!

I forgot to mention Quavo. I am sick of her and these people. I need her to be over the phase of these new rappers or mumblers or trappers or whatever the F they are called. Swaelee was a pleasant surprise because I like his voice on Crave. Maluma is a gift. I am just preparing my armor and my brain because I will be dragging haters the next few days I am sure. LOL 

Is is sad to see all of the fighting about this.  I love Madonna completely and totally but felt sad for her that unfortunately Like a Prayer was shaky and out of tune - I can't deny that as heard it straight away.  Does not mean I don't love her or want to support her.   I felt she then looked nervous and I did not like Quavo as a performer either.  Thought his whole attitude last night was dreadful.  I am not a hater, absolutely loved her Billboard performance and always always want her to be celebrated and loved as a performer as I think she is one of the greatest performers of all time. 

I suppose this post will be quoted and I will be labelled a hater, not a fan etc or heaven forbid a Kylie Minogue or Cher lover (  which I am not ) .  That is the way at the moment that the forum is going.  There is too much concentrating on any negative view,  and bringing utter trolls and haters like Piers Morgan into threads.  It is making everything seem more negative and hateful than it is.  I don't often swear but seriously Fuck the haters like Piers, Daily Fail and ex Madonna fans who are always rubbishing her.  They are not worth our time or our energy - plus they are flushed here.  We know they exist,  I have put up with them since the 80's and they will always be around. 

It is OK to not love a performance.  It is actually more offensive to Madonna to rave about a performance we don't rave about.  

We all know here what a superstar and great performer Madonna is.  She will always prevail - has for over 30 years and will continue to do so. 

6 hours ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

Madonna should have known that everyone in the audience knows the disputes in the Middle East. That's why they wanted to celebrate and enjoy a time without war and violence together - and without pictures of violence and gas masks.

6 hours ago, Cesky said:

But they don't deserve to shut their eyes? That's the point, no? You don't get to just pretend it doesn't exist when you're at a huge party not far where people are kept in camps as second class (non) citizens. 

This is very American Life the original video where the bombs are going off, people being killed but all the fancy people are there having a good time and acting obvious to reality.

Thank you Madonna. ❤️

I think many of you should take some vacation. This shouldn't affect the mood so much. Media nowadays is a continuous superlative. Don't let yourselves be carried away! This is just a mirage.

Social media is bashing her relentlessly today...on facebook, twitter, instagram and comments on news websites. Even at work, people spoke about her and trashed the performance. I'm literally having a bad day because I always want people to like her. 

HOWEVER,  what I am noticing is that many people actually were looking forward to her performance and were even excited about it. It shows how much people do view her as a legend. Let's face it, her 80's music is implanted in everyone's heads forever. So I  think people were just let down. It's unfortunate. She kicks ass in concerts. 

She just needed to smile more, do an uptempo old song and everything would have been ok. 

33 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Why isn't she more critical of Quavo? that man LOOKS like an idiot and acts like one, yet she's putting him in her instagram stories.I was hoping this would be a big wake up call.

Probably because she knew what she was getting? That is just him - no more, no less 🤷‍♀️

I've just seen a TV report from TG2 (Italy) about the performance and it was positive, mostly focusing on the political message of the performance.The journalist has even called it "un successo" (a success). The rest of italian press was positive/neutral with few negative comments about her vocal rendition (which wasn't that bad, even though she was pitchy and shaky at times). Uk and german press probably needed a target to  vent their frustration for the poor results of their respective countries at Eurovision..

By the way, the "end of her career" article on Spiegel Online is currently the most read on their website. I bet similar articles around the globe will celebrate equal achievements. Do you see the pattern? The sad thing though, one should expect more from Spiegel Online than the Daily Fail. But I guess, Left and Right are not that different when they see an easy target to attack. 

7 minutes ago, Musicinferno said:

I still wonder who is responsible for the arrangement. Madonna? Kevin Antunes? Why is he still around?

It will be, his Casio arrangement when she did the Prince tribute started it all... He confirmed his involvement on IG

4 minutes ago, Musicinferno said:

I still wonder who is responsible for the arrangement. Madonna? Kevin Antunes? Why is he still around?

12 minutes ago, Rebel Saviour said:

I've just seen a TV report from TG2 (Italy) about the performance and it was positive, mostly focusing on the political message of the performance.The journalist has even called it "un successo" (a success). The rest of italian press was positive/neutral with few negative comments about her vocal rendition (which wasn't that bad, even though she was pitchy and shaky at times). Uk and german press probably needed a target to  vent their frustration for the poor results of their respective countries at Eurovision..

Precisely that. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Ok last post and then I'm out of this place (it's not personal cuz I love everyone here, I just REALLY love Madonna and I really want to enjoy an album cycle  on my own terms without anyone's opinions clouding my vibe).

Guys, remember 2015? From beginning to end, the absolute worst possible things happening. The whole album leaked, Living For Love was her first real bomb, she literally got yanked off stage by her neck at the Brits, she got publicly humiliated by the useless Drake, she released Bitch I'm Madonna (ok, maybe that is just a personal gripe), she performed with the dreadful Taylor Swift, and then she capped the year off by having a VERY PRIVATE family issue used against her in the press.

We survived that, we can survive ONE polarizing perf (imagine if this was like Wetten Daas or something, we'd all think it was terrific :rotfl:)! Cmon guys, get it together!! More videos are coming, she's gonna bring the house down at NY pride, the album is probably gonna knock our sox off, and she's gonna go on a really unique tour doing things she's never done.

I hate seeing some of you guys so crestfallen. Just take a time out from the internet. I do it all the time. I feel much better when I do. AND MY GOD, PLEASE never read the comments!!! Comments are a cesspool for everyone. Look at the way ppl treat Katy Perry, or Hillary Clinton. There are other women who get dragged similarly. It's natural to focus on negativity, it's just human nature. Sometimes you just gotta get rid of the triggers. ❤️ 

:clap:

the more mind you pay to the negativity, the more it's going to stick around and gain traction.

if you feel bad about the hate she's getting, don't read it.

a week is a long time in showbusiness and life, no one is gonna be talking about this when the next song drops on friday.

6 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Why isn't she responding with an explanation? there were clearly technical problems.

She does not need to respond Nikki.   Madonna has always been a trouper.  She has survived worse than this her entire career.  She is also a true professional in that she does not put blame on others and conducts herself with dignity. 

Must say though that her PR firm could be doing more. 

1 minute ago, Jazzy Jan said:

She does not need to respond Nikki.   Madonna has always been a trouper.  She has survived worse than this her entire career.  She is also a true professional in that she does not put blame on others and conducts herself with dignity. 

Must say though that her PR firm could be doing more. 

As always, Madonna is doing all the work. (see her instagram). Im glad she's focusing on the message. 

I quess people we're expecting Like a Prayer with a disco stumping beat.😂

It is sad to see everywhere you read she is slandered for the vocals on like a prayer. 

Like Jazzy jan said right from the first notes I heard it went wrong and  I got so nerves I didnt see the performance properly.

After watching it again it's not good and it's unforunate it happend on a live show with 200 mln viewers

11 minutes ago, pjcowley said:

Precisely that. Thank you.

TG1 (the main italian newscast) was neutral talking about the political message of the performance. It seems there's no backlash here in Italy, thank god...

4 hours ago, karbatal said:

Agree 100% with what you say. Sometimes reading posts here suck up the joy of the new album. I was thinking this myself too. 

Come back soon ❤️

Like i said I was perfectly happy with the performance until I got here. We don’t deserve her.

Was it a bad performance? No. Was it EPIC like her fans and the rest of the world expected it would be? No again unfortunately, and that was she NEEDED to deliver at a show of this magnitude. It was just OK.                  For whatever reason she was out of tune and had vocal issues during LAP, that combined with the arrangement of the song killed the performance instantly. I liked the theatrical dark ballet speech in the middle, and I'm sorry but I feel like she has some reinventing to do in the way she moves and does things on stage in a TV performance(not necesarily on tour!), the grabbing and pushing dancers, the sitting down on one knee etc are over done moves and they need to go.

The Future performance was good, i enjoyed it... but the public doesn't care for the song, so that fell flat as well.

My thoughts at the end was relief over her not falling on the stairs, great controversial message and visuals, an OK show, that I wished she didn't repeat the Met Gala performance and used the original LAP song instead. My bf liked it, my friends liked it as well... Then I saw she's trending on twitter and went to see what ppl said, and it ruined my whole evening.

Thankfully the complete and utter disaster of the Game of Thrones finale tonight is going to overshadow this.

4 hours ago, Confessit said:

Okay so it's the morning after the night before my fellow beautiful M fans...

...I've re watched it and I have digested it. 

Madonna obviously had a message and I do think that the fact she chose to accept the invitation to play Eurovision was more about her making a statement of peace between the Israelis and palistines than promoting the new album. This was a different flavour than let's say the Super Bowl or an awards show spot where she is performing her new single, this was M wanting to be explicitly political. The fact the rehearsals were shrouded in mystery now makes sense. 

I applaud M for being brave and bold enough to use imagery that highlights the political terrors and the flags on the dancers were a bold visual nod to seeking peace. Of course for all of us this is M at her rebellion best we enjoy this on all her tours the message of peace and love it's in the make up of her DNA but it's the way it was executed last night that is the issue for many fans/public alike. 

This was 8 minutes on stage for Madonna. The performance was very conceptual and I think in the context of a whole show aka a tour night with her it would sink but it didn't immediently for casual viewers last night. The gas masks and apocalyptic dancing/visuals for Future tied with the fire imagery and political heads on the screens with Madonna instructing the audience don't you think we know what your doing caught the audience off guard. I don't think anyone in the arena knew what to make of it hence the muted response comment from graham norton (UK viewers).  It was a heavy set but the general press coverage and online coverage is focussing on Madonna making the statement as a positive. I understand now why she chose Future as lyrically it captures the message she wanted to display. 

Quovo was unnecessary. He has zero stage presence and he added nothing to the performance. At one point Madonna had to nudge him to point to the roof. 

LAP was as discussed by all was off key in moments but It really is that arrangement that still sounds like an amateur junior school put it together for leavers assembley rather than an arrangement to play for the biggest female in music. The epic and breathtaking staging was about all that was good about it. She spent half the performances walking down the stairs and the other half walking up them. It was static and I was disappointed there wasn't a choir on the stage with her to really lift the performance across the arena with some audience participation. 

Was it right or wrong for the Eurovision? Well that simply depends on your perspective. For me it's a dose of both, I don't mind the statement or even the song which was obviously a very left-field choice to promote a new album in front of 200 million but it was the staticness and lack of flow that simply didn't resonate so instead of really loving it I've had to re watch it and digest it. But perhaps that was her plan....

Although I don't think it will go down as one of her best, she looks incredible and has further sealed her legacy as a rebel and a political force willing to sacrifice reputation to make a stand. That's our M. This is just my thoughts I adore M and I am being critical but it's my point of view but I appreciate the work she has put in as ever I continue to be excited for Madame X.

This is fantastic, thank you for that!!!