Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

20 minutes ago, LVX said:

I really don't think her vocals were THAT bad during LAP. :dazed: I was more bothered by the tent she was wearing and Quavo's lack of any kind of charisma or enthusiasm.

This!!

Much more than the vox or the musical arrangement, this Quavo guy (and the decision to bring him on stage in one of M‘s biggest performances) is bothering me massively. Looking bored during the performance, failing to name any M song besides his own and explicitly stating his mum grew up with her music but he DIDN‘T (wtf kind of promotion is that??).

Apart from having zero stage presence, he also clearly has no idea of (and interest in) M‘s actual significance as an icon and artist.

I wish M would stop giving these kind of people so much exposure at her own expense, especially in such important performances like yesterday’s. Maluma was different as he clearly admired and respected M (and brought that across very well), but the Drakes and Quavos of this world clearly don‘t. 

1 hour ago, Kurt420 said:

Sorry but I find it insulting to her when people talk about her "lack of energy" on RHT. It's true it wasn't as dance heavy as MDNA but to imply that she's lazy or lacking is absolutely ridiculous. I highly doubt even our 20 something forum members would get through that full show, much less doing it two times in one day (rehearsal and performance). 

Exactly. There was absolutely nothing "lazy" about RHT. It was simply a different kind of show than MDNA. That's more than obvious. It was also her longest show. You can actually see the reworking of some of the aspects of her performance style to fit her needs (both physically and artistically) on that tour, and it makes perfect sense. Not doubting that she is still a beast to be reckoned with on stage (to her peers both young and old), but she is also human. Our view of her is going to be put in check as she reassess what she wants (and can) do on stage going into her 60s. Only natural.

1 hour ago, Kurt420 said:

I can already tell you there will be some to balk at this but you're 1000% correct. Most people will say they don't let that kind of thing influence them but on some level, it does....more than we even realize sometimes. It happened to me here tonight! I almost didn't watch the performance at all because of the comments here. I just thought I'd come back to it one day in the future when things cool down. I nervously hit "play" fully anticipating a total trainwreck, likely the worst performance of her career. Now that I've seen it, that thought it laughable now. Social media overdramatizes EVERYTHING and it's only natural that it rubs off on us.

You hit the mark on how social media affects us. I've been thinking about this issue a hell of a lot in the last few years. I've seen so many I know, even myself included, slowly but surely change in how (and quickly) we react to damn near everything, and how what's being said shapes our larger perspective of things. I mean, even studies show it's changing our brain chemistry.

I think Niki Harris actually touched on the aging thing a bit recently. She said something along the lines of it's harder for pop stars to age because pop fans age and don't adapt well to new things.....paraphrasing very badly but that was the gist of it. Getting old is the one thing nobody can avoid so yeah, I can imagine for some to see what THEY perceive to be Madonna "slowing down" is alarming and scary for a number of reasons. Nevermind though the fact that Madonna is embarking on a theater tour so naturally, her live performances will probably focus a lot on......theatrics as opposed to heavy choreography this time around. 

And this is it!!!  I've noticed it a lot when I've seen some of the most scathing remarks (particularly in regards to age and how she chooses to live) coming from the hardcore fanbase...and I've often thought about how it may be much more a reflection of the individual than M herself. She has made it more than clear her philosophy on life and aging, and it still seems to be the hardest pill for some folks...and I think that's because they feel the pressures of ageism themselves, and thus they too (if not we all) perpetuate and play into it...and so her refusal to stay where we want/need her to makes us uncomfortable with everything else. It all gets projected on to her.

So guys I was lucky enough to be in the audience and see the whole thing live from up close. There were a few technical issues with her mic at the beginning, but then her singing was fine from there. I really liked the performance overall and it was well received by the live audience. My only criticisms- from a point of pure love for this woman- would be the arrangement of LAP, which was just too theatrical and slow for Eurovision, her dress which made her look stiff as she was walking down the stairs, and her hair and make-up but that’s just personal taste. The criticism of her is just beyond. Let’s ignore it. She’s always been polarising. Fuck the haters.

Edited by Sokrates5

5 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

This is the type of reaction from the bubbles of Madonna Land that I just do not get, sorry. 

Actually, a lot of people LOVE the MANY DIFFERENT sides of Madonna. Any person who has adequate knowledge about music KNOWS that Madonna is many things, she's a pop artist and has NEVER been a strictly fun or sexual "dance act", since when she is marketed like an Ultra Naté for instance? :confused:

"Frozen", "The Power of Good-Bye", "Live to Tell", "This Used to Be My Playground", aren't all of these somber stuff? And people, fans and the general public alike, clearly love them, because they are well-crafted. "Like a Prayer" itself, which is her most universally loved song, is obviously not a typical "fun" ditty at all.

The reason why the performance was not well-received is because everything about it was flat, insipid and just painfully boring to watch. LAP set the whole tone poorly, it did not work big time and this has nothing to do with her being "dark" or "political" AT ALL. 

This is your opinion (and others, sure). My opinion is that LAP was superb actually, apart from a few off-key notes that many are making a HUUUGEEE drama about.

1 minute ago, Nonoka said:

This!!

Much more than the vox or the musical arrangement, this Quavo guy is bothering me massively. Looking bored during the performance, failing to name any M song besides his own and explicitly stating his mum grew up with her music but he DIDN‘T (wtf??).

Apart from having zero stage presence, he also clearly has no idea of M‘s actual significance as an icon and artist.

I wish M would stop giving these kind of people so much stage time. Maluma was different as he clearly admired and respected M (and brought that across very well), but the Drakes and Quavos of this world clearly don‘t.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt BUT his attitude throughout was like someone who didn't want to be there... 

Compare that to Maluma rehearsing so hard to deal with the holograms!!

European press will hate on her, and in way they are frustrated. In europe there are 10000 people at least that have amasing singing qualities . How many of them are superstar ? None. 
Madonna comes from US where poorly singing is the norm. I remember zapping tv and when this year grammy was on i was thinking that it was somehow similar to the special olymipics. So for many she is the epitome of stars that are made from a mix of talent combinated with strong marketing . The US music scene is just like Hollywood outputs: Not neccesarly better but definitely much more succesfull. 

18 minutes ago, Andra said:

Darren is on fire today. Also adding some other comments.

12 minutes ago, Nonoka said:

This!!

Much more than the vox or the musical arrangement, this Quavo guy is bothering me massively. Looking bored during the performance, failing to name any M song besides his own and explicitly stating his mum grew up with her music but he DIDN‘T (wtf??).

Apart from having zero stage presence, he also clearly has no idea of M‘s actual significance as an icon and artist.

I wish M would stop giving these kind of people so much exposure at her own expense, especially in such important performances like yesterday’s. Maluma was different as he clearly admired and respected M (and brought that across very well), but the Drakes and Quavos of this world clearly don‘t. 

This. His attitude in the interview was a massive turn off. Why has she collaborated with him twice?

let's see, it's true that he has out of tune, but come on, the performance will not be the best of Madonna, 

but the lynching that is receiving from the media seems to me exaggerated and unfair.

I hope that in the next days the thing calms down.

the truth is that I feel for her, we know what works and she tries, so that the media then throws her work on the ground and they want to remove it.

I do not think Madonna is having a good day today, for Madonna fans either.

It is supposed that this would be a great promotion for the tour, and unfortunately they are turning it into the opposite.

12 minutes ago, Nonoka said:

This!!

Much more than the vox or the musical arrangement, this Quavo guy (and the decision to bring him on stage in one of M‘s biggest performances) is bothering me massively. Looking bored during the performance, failing to name any M song besides his own and explicitly stating his mum grew up with her music but he DIDN‘T (wtf kind of promotion is that??).

Apart from having zero stage presence, he also clearly has no idea of (and interest in) M‘s actual significance as an icon and artist.

Agree. 

Quavo being there was a fish out of water moment anyways the Eurovision is not about rap whatsoever and he just didn't seem to care about being there. 

Why isn't she more critical of Quavo? that man LOOKS like an idiot and acts like one, yet she's putting him in her instagram stories.I was hoping this would be a big wake up call.

Ok hate me or flush me but I still don’t like LAP at all, her voice, the ‘music’, the whole performance was off and b.o.r.i.n.g. Never wanna see this again. Twice is enough, thank you. 

But I love the transition so much! It’s my absolute favorite part of it all. 

And yes, Quavo was so useless on stage and during the interview. Meanwhile The Future is up to 11 in Germany now. 

LOL, I love all those critics getting off from authorising the end of M's carreer, how many of those have we seen come and go during the last 30 years, bye Felicia!

As for the performance, LAP was def. one of her worst unfortunately, especially when you beautiful she sang it at the Met. But the interlude and Future, and mainly the message she decided to bring to the ESF was impressive. The performance and backdrop is full of powerful imagery which should be the focus (and to some extent it will be as reports are already focussing more on the uniting of the flags than M's pipes) I like the growing flowers in all the costumes, implying groth, fertility and hope for the future. Love the Targaryanlike deathbyfire of all the religious leaders, some powerful over the top imagery of a broken statue of Liberty, and I adore adore adore the call out to all the complacent snowflakes of the world "can't you hear from inside your supreme hoodie" Then of course the dancers with the flags, which proves once more Madonna is not there to sell concert tickets (that tour was already sold out when they conceived the idea of a theatre tour) but to continue to be the provocateur that she has always been

There’s a deeply psychological aspect to our collective response as Madonna fans! We anticipate that if she isn’t perfect, idiot talking heads like Piers Morgan get served a silver platter of fodder for their nonsensical hatred! We dread this type of public response because we want to feel validated by the masses in our celebration of her creativity, her impact and her history. I think Madonna herself is aware of this, but she has to create somewhat of a bubble around her for self-protection...she can’t be exposed to that type of public vitriol constantly! She’d go live permanently in a gilded cage!

I enjoy the debate we are able to have about her performance on here because we are all (mostly) coming from a place of love and admiration for her, but I deeply resent the laziness of the media figures (they do not get to be called journalists under any circumstance) who have been poised to find any public discourse that indicts Madonna as failing at being an influential creative force. These morons will always take the opportunity to capitalize on any form of collective disdain and exploit the deceptive and insidious power of Twitter, a universe that I suspect is hugely underpopulated for the influence it seems to have as a source for journalism in this incredibly flaccid chapter in humankind. 

So in the spirit of celebration, I would like to help in reminding anyone who felt disappointed last night that Madonna is the only quintessential megastar breathing today. Her cultural influence will ebb and flow, as is the case for all popular artists and entertainers from Mozart to Marilyn to Mike Tyson. The ups and downs are also what make a legend more thrilling! Her cultural impact spans four decades so far, and that’s just while she is alive, which hopefully she will be for a long time to come! She will be posthumously vindicated on every level. She is the ultimate icon, and she is immediately associated by the general public with a time in history that everyone is increasingly attached to...because it felt more hopeful and innocent. She continues to use her enormous platform to do whatever she wants, and that is not only why she is so admirable, but also why she is so reviled! I believe the much missed Liz Rosenberg was quoted way back in 1985 as clearly understanding that Madonna’s appeal would forever be based off the notion that people love to hate her! Sorry! I wish I had the exact quote. If anyone does, please share it!

One flat vocal is definitely not going to kill a new Madonna era for her fans, nor will it kill her career! Piers Morgan is the worst type of Brit...a mysogynistic pig, who has been gleefully predicting Madonna’s demise since 1993 because she ignored him once and his fragile toxic micropenis of an ego was devastated. Whatever!

We can be objective about Madonna on this forum, but it is private. In the outside world, let’s take the negativity as a call to arms! Fuck the haters in the press and GP! WE LOVE MADONNA, and ALWAYS will. 

The Madame X era is an amazing one already, and it will take a hell of a lot more than a slightly deflated experience of Eurovision, something you couldn’t have paid me to watch until yesterday, to put even a dent in this iconic chapter!

We have sooooooo much to look forward to! I cannot wait for the album and everything else she has to give that we are still unaware of! 

❤️❤️❤️💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽🤟🏼🤟🏼🤟🏼💫💫💫

Edited by Herfaceremains

3 hours ago, promise to try said:

so: madonna can´t sing, her career is over: choose the year that you hear that for the first time:

-1984 after LAV at the VMA

-1985 after the playboy pictures

-1987 after the WTG tour was aired and she didn´t have voice (that was my first time!)

-1988 Kylie is the new madonna, madonna´s era has finished

-1989 after Oh father/ janet-paula selling more and being more popular in the US

-1990. Blond a,mbition tour, madonna doesn´t have voice, it´s all about dancing and sex, the music sounds but, her best years are over

-1990-1991: justify my love: she is not even caring to sing! or dance! that song is not a song, is only about the scandal! And first time that I heard she is old. and In bed with madonna? career flop, she is showing too much

-1992: SEX. She is only about scandal. And she looks weird with that thing on her teeth.and she is old (yes, she was considered old already). and she looks weird in deeper and deeper

-1993:That  movie is crap. sex to sell.she is touring in less places because nobody wants to see her anymore.

-1994:she is over, bedtime story didn´t chart at all, her singles flop, TAB is her lowest charting song...she is not following the times in europe, where britpop is the thing,people in the train: "I´ñ´ve heard madonna is having sex with a bull in her next video"

-1995: well, she is behaving, beautiful ballad, she is trying to be like celine. but that´s ok.she should have a baby.Me going to the store asking about Something to remember:"what? is she still singing? doesn´t she have an album out?

-1996: is she having a baby? I bet she is doing it because she thinks that´s going to help in her career, that, it´s over. she is desperate for an oscar.

-1998: Ray of light live: what the hell? she can´t performe anymore...the rest, good.she married and had another baby, that´s what a woman should do.

-2003: her career is over, AL´s message has destroyed her career. She shouldn´t touch politics. 

-2008-2018: she is too old for anything. if she has had a couple of hits is because of the feat artists or the super bowl. she is an artist from the past

-2019: she can´t sing, she can´t performe...nothing has changed!!!

we are going to have a great 2019-2020!

This

I was just watching old Madonna footage on youtube, and I remember a lot of this stuff on there. The fans writing her off during the SEX book/Erotica era... all the things we bitch about now no different then. And this is about some vocals and a somewhat "boring" performance now.

She's gonna be fine. :tongue:

5 minutes ago, alen said:

I wanna take a pill and forget about last night performance

overreacting much?! 🙄

47 minutes ago, Mensch said:

Agreed! I’m so here for ignoring the BS. I defended M for too long since I was little like a soldier defending their Queen. Fuck everyone. People that get it are not gonna HATE her for messing up some vocals. 

The album/tour are gonna be fantastic! 

Fantastic Indeed. Crave Is Amazing, I 'm really fond of Dark ballet snippets so far and I Guess the best Is still to come. 😍

Her careers been over since 1984 .

truth be told it wasn’t that bad . I don’t get the fuss. Well do , it’s Madonna. 

4 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

There’s a deeply psychological aspect to our collective response as Madonna fans! We anticipate that if she isn’t perfect, idiot talking heads like Piers Morgan get served a silver platter of fodder for their nonsensical hatred! We dread this type of public response because we want to feel validated by the masses in our celebration of her creativity, her impact and her history. I think Madonna herself is aware of this, but she has to create somewhat of a bubble around her for self-protection...she can’t be exposed to the type of public vitriol constantly! She’d go live permanently in a gilded cage!

I enjoy the debate we are able to have about her performance on here because we are all (mostly) coming from a place of love and admiration for her, but I deeply resent the laziness of the media figures (they do not get to be called journalists under any circumstance) who have been poised to find any public discourse that indicts Madonna as failing at being an influential creative force. These morons will always take the opportunity to capitalize on any form of collective disdain and exploit the deceptive and insidious power of Twitter, a universe that I suspect is hugely underpopulated for the influence it seems to have as a source for journalism in this incredibly flaccid chapter in humankind. 

So in the spirit of celebration, I would like to help in reminding anyone who felt disappointed last night that Madonna is the only quintessential megastar breathing today. Her cultural influence will ebb and flow, as is the case for all popular artists and entertainers from Mozart to Marilyn to Mike Tyson. The ups and downs are also what make a legend more thrilling! Her cultural impact spans four decades so far, and that’s just while she is alive, which hopefully she will be for a long time to come! She will be posthumously vindicated on every level. She is the ultimate icon, and she is immediately associated by the general public with a time in history that everyone is increasingly attached to...because it felt more hopeful and innocent. She continues to use her enormous platform to do whatever she wants, and that is not only why she is so admirable, but also why she is so reviled! I believe the much missed Liz Rosenberg was quoted way back in 1985 as clearly understanding that Madonna’s appeal would forever be based off the notion that people love to hate her! Sorry! I wish I had the exact quote. If anyone does, please share it!

One flat vocal is definitely not going to kill a new Madonna era for her fans, nor will it kill her career! Piers Morgan is the worst type of Brit...a mysogynistic pig, who has been gleefully predicting Madonna’s demise since 1993 because she ignored him once and his fragile toxic micropenis of an ego was devastated. Whatever!

We can be objective about Madonna on this forum, but it is private. In the outside world, let’s take the negativity as a call to arms! Fuck the haters in the press and GP! WE LOVE MADONNA, and ALWAYS will. 

The Madame X era is an amazing one already, and it will take a hell of a lot more than a slightly deflated experience of Eurovision, something you couldn’t have paid me to watch until yesterday, to put even a dent in this iconic chapter!

We have sooooooo much to look forward to! I cannot wait for the album and everything else she has to give that we are still unaware of! 

❤️❤️❤️💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽🤟🏼🤟🏼🤟🏼💫💫💫

LOVE THIS!

9 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Why isn't she more critical of Quavo? that man LOOKS like an idiot and acts like one, yet she's putting him in her instagram stories.I was hoping this would be a big wake up call.

The million dollar question. Future never should have been performed to begin with. She needs someone around her to tell her the truth. Too many yes people I suppose. 

Just now, Barbie said:

The million dollar question. Future never should have been performed to begin with. She needs someone around her to tell her the truth. Too many yes people I suppose. 

Perhaps but the whole thing was unconventional. Quavo a rapper at Eurovision. Reggae Jamaican dancehall. Political protest in a competition about music not politics. 

Maybe she just thought fuck it I highly doubt Madonna has ever seen a Eurovision Song Contest.

7 minutes ago, Barbie said:

and just now she put him on her stories again. that's the worry here.. she should get rid of awful people who have no respect for her

3 minutes ago, Barbie said:

I think it's more that Madonna wouldnt listen anyway if someone dared say no to her. She will always do what she wants. She does need new management though, like 10 years ago. Enough with the grillz, enough with the Casio Keyboard music, enough with the eye patch, enough with the gimmicks. The message was great though. 

The morning after the night before. I had to sleep to escape twitter. I spend far too much of my time defending Madonna so I can never be accused of being a negative nancy. So I am just going to state MY truth. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.This is mine.

It was off! I was excited the minute it began because I do like the MET Gala presentation of LAP. But they cut the chanting short I think. Also Darren Hayes may be on to something because she was definitely off key and she even mispronounced two words. That's when I knew she was nervous. It was a pitchy performance. What makes me sad is that I have no doubt Madonna herself is more disappointed in herself than we are. She is a perfectionist. She knows that was not it. 

I never liked the Future song but I was hoping the performance would help. It didn't. That song is in my opinion, nothing. Has no business on her album and how she has a dance song with drag queens and didn't think Eurovision is the place to showcase that is truly beyond me. I am not one of those obsessed with the disco stomper. After all, I Rise is my fave of all released so far but there is a thing called knowing your market. 

For me it seemed like she rushed through Like a Prayer because she couldn't wait to do Future and get her message across. Madonna can sing,perform and get her message across. We do not have to pick one. She is the Queen of doing all three.

M has never been a vocalist but this was particularly bad and I am just tired of the looming negativity. Yes it is same old same old.But I am allowed to be sad about it. 

No one will remember that Mariah who has nothing but her vocals flopped and came back to show she still has some kind of range. At least Madonna has a lot more to offer than just vocals. Let's hope somewhere during the promo, M sings live and shows she still can. She needs to start rehearsing that as much as anything else.

Also, I am tired of her using all these vocoders and so on. I wish she would stop working with these new age producers and go back to working with musicians like Patrick Leonard.That's just my opinion. She is the greatest and will forever be in my eyes and I will continue to defend her. Just needed to say my piece in our safe place so i do not give the haters fodder to run with. 

I like when M looks happy performing, like BBMA. Last night she did not look happy. just unfortunate.

Quavo looked terrified tbh..

The performance does get a lot better with headphones and after a few repeats.