Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

I'm amazed by her courage, the visuals were great. It's ok that it wasn't perfect - technical problems may happen to every artist.
I just thought, what a storm of ovations it would be, if Beyonce/Gaga made such a strong message against the rules. Their PR teams would make everyone go "WOW!" and lick their asses.
oh well, we have Oseary.

8 hours ago, Kim said:

Cute. Met Gala perf was great. This wasn't. So the explanation is?....

8 hours ago, Kilt said:

It was.

8 hours ago, Kim said:

Obviously it wasn't. Try again.

8 hours ago, Kilt said:

Obviously it was. 

I'm sorry but.. :rotfl:

The Irish Times (Ireland) - "Things that were massive in the ‘80s but maybe not so much now’"
De Telegraaf (The Netherlands) - "Dismay over Madonna's performance"
Blick (Swizterland) - "Monk choir - and rather crooked vocals"
Der Westen (Germany) - "Madonna with embarrassing appearance at the ESC 2019"
ORF (Austria) - "Madonna with clearly recognizable crooked tones"
BILD (Germany) - "Super Flop Instead of Super Star",
Der Spiegel (Germany) - "The low point of her career, maybe even the endpoint?"
BBC (UK) - "Madonna performance gets mixed response"
The Sun (UK) - "Madonna shocks Eurovision as her dancers hug wearing Israeli and Palestinian flags in unrehearsed moment"

Daily Mail (UK) - "Madonna, 60, leaves Eurovision fans 'disappointed' with her 'tone deaf' vocals during high-octane show... as her dancers sport Israeli and Palestinian flags WITHOUT approval"

22 minutes ago, side_streets said:

When it cones to movies, tv shows and music the USA is the country that makes trends and the rest of the world just follows, but I'm OK with that. It's jut the way it is. The Avengers, Game of Thrones are the most obvious examples. 

Lighten up people! Madonna will be fine. It's not the worst thing that could have happened to her. I never like the idea of her going to Eurovision, but that's my opinion because I really don't feel that competition and fake message about the unity. Take ex Yugoslavia for example; if somebody gave guns to people in Serbia, Bosnia, Kosovo and Croatia they would be able to start another war. Sorry for being negative. ♥️

Nope. Sorry. Maybe you want it to be that way but it's not that influential.

30 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

I have friends at home. It is therefore with 12 hours late that I watched  this performance and I don’t see the disaster announced in this thread. The performance is just flat and not very energetic. No epic disaster here. Again, the excess of dramatic superlatives distorts reality.

Yup. I was underwhelmed with the Future performance. But I enjoyed seeing her on stage. 

Maybe she should release the video of the backdrop... even the statue of liberty was on fire.. the performance was very political (even if she says it wasn't), maybe she should upload that on her youtube? try to change the tide a little

Sure, last nights performance wasn't her best but it is what it is. It's the past now and I'm living in the present, in the now. I'm choosing to be grateful that M is still around and creating her art. I don't read papers, watch tv, look for the news and so I don't read all the negative stuff they are writing/saying. Why hurt yourself with all that low energy? " Positive vibes" only!!! Like M is singing in Future. Wake up. You choose how you feel and react.

Advise, positive vibes (positive vibes)
Open your mind (open your mind)
Open your eyes

Damn almost 40 years in and a Eurovision performance has ended her career. Who would've thought. 😒

Seriously the hysteria by the media and some members here is next level.

3 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Nope. Sorry. Maybe you want it to be that way but it's not that influential.

You might be right since I don't care for local press and media outlets. 😀

I just watched it again and I love it!!!! 

She lost herself “I hear you call my name...” and the rest was typical M vocal for LAP! 

Anyway, I’m wondering if this is any indication of the tour. Maybe she will be able to have a stage set where the projections are on stairs and that’s how she will enter... 😍😍😍😍

i never in a million years thought we’d get a similar intro to MDNA but I’m here for it. I bet she’d want it for a theatre setting with the monks singing. 

Also, I’m more convinced that Dark Ballet starts the way she sang it here and THEN goes into the beautiful game parts we know! 

48 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Ok last post and then I'm out of this place (it's not personal cuz I love everyone here, I just REALLY love Madonna and I really want to enjoy an album cycle  on my own terms without anyone's opinions clouding my vibe).

Guys, remember 2015? From beginning to end, the absolute worst possible things happening. The whole album leaked, Living For Love was her first real bomb, she literally got yanked off stage by her neck at the Brits, she got publicly humiliated by the useless Drake, she released Bitch I'm Madonna (ok, maybe that is just a personal gripe), she performed with the dreadful Taylor Swift, and then she capped the year off by having a VERY PRIVATE family issue used against her in the press.

We survived that, we can survive ONE polarizing perf (imagine if this was like Wetten Daas or something, we'd all think it was terrific :rotfl:)! Cmon guys, get it together!! More videos are coming, she's gonna bring the house down at NY pride, the album is probably gonna knock our sox off, and she's gonna go on a really unique tour doing things she's never done.

I hate seeing some of you guys so crestfallen. Just take a time out from the internet. I do it all the time. I feel much better when I do. AND MY GOD, PLEASE never read the comments!!! Comments are a cesspool for everyone. Look at the way ppl treat Katy Perry, or Hillary Clinton. There are other women who get dragged similarly. It's natural to focus on negativity, it's just human nature. Sometimes you just gotta get rid of the triggers. ❤️ 

Agreed! I’m so here for ignoring the BS. I defended M for too long since I was little like a soldier defending their Queen. Fuck everyone. People that get it are not gonna HATE her for messing up some vocals. 

The album/tour are gonna be fantastic! 

I'm actually worried about the theater tour. I see some of you liked it yesterday night. It was not good to me. Even the outfits were not fitting her. That version of LAP was  really not good. Oh well the next will be much better

I rewatched the performance again. I dont know whats the fuss about. I dont know why she is receiving so much vitriol. I think some are jusr over reacting with her vocals. Its just ok. I will say it again there are far much worst vocal performances from madonna in the past. After seeing the performance again i think some parts are bit clunky but overall its great. Loving Future more...Hugs for you Madonna!!!

6 minutes ago, Mensch said:

Agreed! I’m so here for ignoring the BS. I defended M for too long since I was little like a soldier defending their Queen. Fuck everyone. People that get it are not gonna HATE her for messing up some vocals. 

The album/tour are gonna be fantastic! 

Wait, that was not my last post cuz I have a question to ask you. Is it true that this is supposed to be a video album or did I literally just dream that up in my head? I seem to remember you saying something like that. Appreciate any info you could pass. That would literally be a dream come true lol

Just now, Ai Papi Si. said:

Wait, that was not my last post cuz I have a question to ask you. Is it true that this is supposed to be a video album or did I literally just dream that up in my head? I seem to remember you saying something like that. Appreciate any info you could pass. That would literally be a dream come true lol

Nah, I honestly don’t know. It was an assumption on my part. I doubt it at this point. I bet she just filmed a few extra videos that we are yet to see and some footage for the tour. 

Just now, Mensch said:

Nah, I honestly don’t know. It was an assumption on my part. I doubt it at this point. I bet she just filmed a few extra videos that we are yet to see and some footage for the tour. 

Ah fook. Oh well, I hope we get a solid number of videos at any rate

it was a great show, performance was super. But, LAP was just not good. Way to high and such a flat arrangement. Maybe it was the grillz. Maybe she should have lipped all, cause now she gets a lot of criticism. 

I really don't think her vocals were THAT bad during LAP. :dazed: I was more bothered by the tent she was wearing and Quavo's lack of any kind of charisma or enthusiasm.

3 hours ago, promise to try said:

so: madonna can´t sing, her career is over: choose the year that you hear that for the first time:

-1984 after LAV at the VMA

-1985 after the playboy pictures

-1987 after the WTG tour was aired and she didn´t have voice (that was my first time!)

-1988 Kylie is the new madonna, madonna´s era has finished

-1989 after Oh father/ janet-paula selling more and being more popular in the US

-1990. Blond a,mbition tour, madonna doesn´t have voice, it´s all about dancing and sex, the music sounds but, her best years are over

-1990-1991: justify my love: she is not even caring to sing! or dance! that song is not a song, is only about the scandal! And first time that I heard she is old. and In bed with madonna? career flop, she is showing too much

-1992: SEX. She is only about scandal. And she looks weird with that thing on her teeth.and she is old (yes, she was considered old already). and she looks weird in deeper and deeper

-1993:That  movie is crap. sex to sell.she is touring in less places because nobody wants to see her anymore.

-1994:she is over, bedtime story didn´t chart at all, her singles flop, TAB is her lowest charting song...she is not following the times in europe, where britpop is the thing,people in the train: "I´ñ´ve heard madonna is having sex with a bull in her next video"

-1995: well, she is behaving, beautiful ballad, she is trying to be like celine. but that´s ok.she should have a baby.Me going to the store asking about Something to remember:"what? is she still singing? doesn´t she have an album out?

-1996: is she having a baby? I bet she is doing it because she thinks that´s going to help in her career, that, it´s over. she is desperate for an oscar.

-1998: Ray of light live: what the hell? she can´t performe anymore...the rest, good.she married and had another baby, that´s what a woman should do.

-2003: her career is over, AL´s message has destroyed her career. She shouldn´t touch politics. 

-2008-2018: she is too old for anything. if she has had a couple of hits is because of the feat artists or the super bowl. she is an artist from the past

-2019: she can´t sing, she can´t performe...nothing has changed!!!

we are going to have a great 2019-2020!

THIS!

I could have done without the Frankenstein choreography during “Future” and the costuming in general, but I mean the woman is going to put in an occasional lackluster performance. I do get nervous every time she takes the stage, though. Especially when there are stairs involved. 

Edited by bcx

1 hour ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Ok last post and then I'm out of this place (it's not personal cuz I love everyone here, I just REALLY love Madonna and I really want to enjoy an album cycle  on my own terms without anyone's opinions clouding my vibe).

Guys, remember 2015? From beginning to end, the absolute worst possible things happening. The whole album leaked, Living For Love was her first real bomb, she literally got yanked off stage by her neck at the Brits, she got publicly humiliated by the useless Drake, she released Bitch I'm Madonna (ok, maybe that is just a personal gripe), she performed with the dreadful Taylor Swift, and then she capped the year off by having a VERY PRIVATE family issue used against her in the press.

We survived that, we can survive ONE polarizing perf (imagine if this was like Wetten Daas or something, we'd all think it was terrific :rotfl:)! Cmon guys, get it together!! More videos are coming, she's gonna bring the house down at NY pride, the album is probably gonna knock our sox off, and she's gonna go on a really unique tour doing things she's never done.

I hate seeing some of you guys so crestfallen. Just take a time out from the internet. I do it all the time. I feel much better when I do. AND MY GOD, PLEASE never read the comments!!! Comments are a cesspool for everyone. Look at the way ppl treat Katy Perry, or Hillary Clinton. There are other women who get dragged similarly. It's natural to focus on negativity, it's just human nature. Sometimes you just gotta get rid of the triggers. ❤️ 

Aw, enjoy the album, Miguel. Will miss you around here — although I limit my Internet intake a bit, as well. It’s hard to stay away from M’Nation around album releases and tours. xoxo

28 minutes ago, LoveBoxx said:

Sure, last nights performance wasn't her best but it is what it is. It's the past now and I'm living in the present, in the now. I'm choosing to be grateful that M is still around and creating her art. I don't read papers, watch tv, look for the news and so I don't read all the negative stuff they are writing/saying. Why hurt yourself with all that low energy? " Positive vibes" only!!! Like M is singing in Future. Wake up. You choose how you feel and react.

Advise, positive vibes (positive vibes)
Open your mind (open your mind)
Open your eyes

@LoveBoxx! Positive vibes (and hugs and kisses!) to you, too!! xoxo 😍

Apart from a few off-key notes during LAP (which is not really that much of a drama, seriously!) the whole performance was very good.

The intro, the costumes, the projections, the spoken words from Dark Ballet (?), the symbolism... it gave me goosebumps! My heart was beating so fast, part because I was nervous of so many stairs, part because it had a powerful message, in my opinion.

Sure, music-wise she could have chosen something else for the 2nd song, maybe even I Rise would have been better than Future in this context, but I did not dislike it either.

It was meant to be a conceptual performance in which she was delivering a message of love and unity in dark times. And it was beautiful!

Having rewatched the performance, I think her LAP vocals weren't that bad, apart from a few missed notes.

What bothers me about the performance is the outfit and visuals for "Future", which didn't fit the song at all, and Quavo's enthusiasm - or lack thereof - whenever he was on screen.

I was very positively surprised when I heard "Dark Ballet". It sounded nothing like what I'd expected! 

10 hours ago, Shane said:

I wonder if a lot of people just prefer celebratory sexual Madonna to dark political and somber Madonna. Since I love her darker work, this version of LAP thrilled me. Some of you may be disappointed in this era because I think it will be a dark and mysterious one.

This is the type of reaction from the bubbles of Madonna Land that I just do not get, sorry. 

Actually, a lot of people LOVE the MANY DIFFERENT sides of Madonna. Any person who has adequate knowledge about music KNOWS that Madonna is many things, she's a pop artist and has NEVER been a strictly fun or sexual "dance act", since when she is marketed like an Ultra Naté for instance? :confused:

"Frozen", "The Power of Good-Bye", "Live to Tell", "This Used to Be My Playground", aren't all of these somber stuff? And people, fans and the general public alike, clearly love them, because they are well-crafted. "Like a Prayer" itself, which is her most universally loved song, is obviously not a typical "fun" ditty at all.

The reason why the performance was not well-received is because everything about it was flat, insipid and just painfully boring to watch. LAP set the whole tone poorly, it did not work big time and this has nothing to do with her being "dark" or "political". 

8 minutes ago, LVX said:

I really don't think her vocals were THAT bad during LAP. :dazed: I was more bothered by the tent she was wearing and Quavo's lack of any kind of charisma or enthusiasm.

👍

1 minute ago, Msig said:

Having rewatched the performance, I think her LAP vocals weren't that bad, apart from a few missed notes.

What bothers me about the performance is the outfit and visuals for "Future", which didn't fit the song at all, and Quavo's enthusiasm - or lack thereof - whenever he was on screen.

I find the outfit very futuristic-warrior-glam and quite fitting with Future's message. I loved it!

I have to agree about Quavo though...