Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

18 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

A performance like this makes sense in the context of a full show, like LAV/Love Spent. It would be like her doing that performance live on TV. It wouldn't translate.

I get what you're saying but how ballsy would that have been of her to do that though on something like the Grammy's. That would've been a totally "Madonna" thing for her to do. I have to say though, while "dark" and political for the venue, Eurovision performance was visually striking and no comparison to LAV/LS in that regard. That in itself gives it a leg up in regard to it's "mass appeal". After watching it a couple times, the staging is pretty amazing actually. 

15 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

You have the biggest camp pop audience on earth to promote for your brandnew album - and then you give them a politcal preach and a song they are obviously not interested in?

Would they have been interested in hearing any new song? Didn't someone comment about a news anchor yesterday morning (long before the performance aired) joking about how Madonna was performing LAP and  "a new song nobody cares about"......that's the general consensus for many sadly when it comes to M. Of course they all wanted the IC version of LAP, Music or HU. Madonna wasn't having that though. I think the fact that she had the biggest audience on earth, the "stink" everyone caused about her performing there in the first place were big influences on her choice of performance. Kind of digging her "zero fucks" mentality lately. She seems more interested in getting her messages across these days to as many people as she can over having her songs top the itunes charts for 2 days and then plummet. I can imagine the former is far more gratifying at this stage in her career.

3 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I get what you're saying but how ballsy would that have been of her to do that though on something like the Grammy's. That would've been a totally "Madonna" thing for her to do. I have to say though, while "dark" and political for the venue, Eurovision performance was visually striking and no comparison to LAV/LS in that regard. That in itself gives it a leg up in regard to it's "mass appeal". After watching it a couple times, the staging is pretty amazing actually. 

Would they have been interested in hearing any new song? Didn't someone comment about a news anchor yesterday morning (long before the performance aired) joking about how Madonna was performing LAP and  "a new song nobody cares about"......that's the general consensus for many sadly when it comes to M. Of course they all wanted the IC version of LAP, Music or HU. Madonna wasn't having that though. I think the fact that she had the biggest audience on earth, the "stink" everyone caused about her performing there in the first place were big influences on her choice of performance. Kind of digging her "zero fucks" mentality lately. She seems more interested in getting her messages across these days to as many people as she can over having her songs top the itunes charts for 2 days and then plummet. I can imagine the former is far more gratifying at this stage in her career.

PREACH! Amen to that

3 hours ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Yeah the further I get from the performance time-wise and then revisit it, the better it gets. 

I will say this though; she needs to stop releasing such commercial throwaway songs as singles. Medellín is brilliant so I’m not talking about that, but as much as I like Crave and Future , they’re obvious ploys to get commercial success and by now Madonna and co should know it’s not happening. She’d probably do better releasing experimental album tracks that showcase her versatility and good taste to be honest 

Couldn't have said it better. Actually if she was releasing her more innovative/strong work rather than the commercial one she would have had a hit most likely. I did not like LAP, but loved Future. By the way Quavo acted like a brat on his interview saying that his mum grew on M music and he DIDNT. He also said her best song was Champagne Rose. I was furious. I loved her interview, she sounded nice and cute and genuine.

Yet another 23 pages of bitching and moaning by so many "fans." I cease to be amazed anymore.

Y'know, it's fine if you didn't like it... but honestly if you're writing five paragraph explanations about where it all went wrong in order to soothe your own unrealistic expectations, then you're the real problem. THAT is the only thing that has disappointed me in this whole complete mess. Congrats on joining the chorus of the vapid haters.

This depresses me. I'm signing off for a while.

To the ones who have their heads on straight, I'll see y'all when the album drops. I'm out.

I do agree with kurt420 saying she wants to get her message across.

Probably that’s the main reason she agreed to do Eurovision than just promoting her album 

And to think of it, every time whenever she releases her album rumors will start to spread saying she will do American idol, xfactor... but ended nothing.

If Eurovision is a platform for artist to perform their greatest hits, there is always Mariah, Janet , Cher to do it. 

Bravo to Madonna to do it her way!

39 minutes ago, imakicola said:

I actually thought it was quite good, except for the bad notes in Like a Prayer. From what it sounds like, I don’t think Madonna could hear herself. Maybe her sound check didn’t go properly? Madonna very rarely is THAT off-key. I think there was some technical issue there.

Exactly! That’s what I’ve been trying to stress in here. She’s never THAT off key. LAP was a huge letdown, because I know she rocks this song most of the time. 

For me the performance it is ok. 

LAP was so slowed down, I dont like this version. She was full of clothes and she was not dancing or doing anything, just walking down a stair. She sings well, at my opinion. 

I like the interlude. But too much 0 energy at all. 

Future started well, but the lack of energy spoiled everything, this makes me think she can't dance anymore the way she used to dance 5 years ago, or maybe she just lost her passion for the dance. 

I like the concept of the performance, the message was great. But Madonna is so out of shape, she's barely moving her body, she looks so nervous all the time. I know she's 60 and she said she's out of shape because of the kids and stuff like this, but it hurts to see her barely moving her body, when we know what she's capeable of doing. 

Please don't hate me, I'm a huge Madonna fan and I'll always be but she's having problems with her performances. RHT had a huge lack of energy in most of its moments, then Medellin was nice but at the BMA, she made an ok performance, now, she does this one where she could barely move her body. Days like this that I regret not seeing some of her old tours live. 

13 minutes ago, svperstar said:

Yet another 23 pages of bitching and moaning by so many "fans." I cease to be amazed anymore.

Y'know, it's fine if you didn't like it... but honestly if you're writing five paragraph explanations about where it all went wrong in order to soothe your own unrealistic expectations, then you're the real problem. THAT is the only thing that has disappointed me in this whole complete mess. Congrats on joining the chorus of the vapid haters.

To the ones who have their heads on straight, I'll see y'all when the album drops. I'm out.

Fans are talking about this because they care. Who are you to tell them to do otherwise? No one is “bitching”! 

Over the past few weeks since this era began, I fully experienced the power of fake news and media/ internet negativity. I was extremely nervous before both tv performance this time around.( I think it is her fall during the rebel heart period) I was perfectly happy after both performances. Then, I watched WENDY.  I was saddened by how she described her moves. That made me more nervous this time. Then  I was actually quite satisfied with the stage visuals, message and choreography for Eurovision) as I expected she wouldn’t dance too much given her song selection and small stage). I felt that her choreography was good given the limitation, better than the highly praised performance by Beyoncé when she was pregnant. I didn’t feel “future” before the performance and found it impressive after watching it. Yet, after I read the tweets and comments here, once again I feel so disappointed and sad. Speaking of her vocal, it was not bad.  Remember the highly praised first hung up performance? She didn’t sound perfect either.  The difference is that we have tweeter and social media this time around and m has lots of detractors/ haters. When there are enough of them, they can easily change our opinion, how we feel about a performance.  It is eps true when everyone deep down is a little insecure about getting older and our idol getting older.  So guys, please stop the negativity.  Focus on the good things  and spread the good words.  Otherwise, we won’t have a chance  with the haters and fake news  and it is only going to get worse when she gets older  

And reading through the Crave video thread, the main critique after it leaked was that her dancing a bit too fast and erratic for such a mid-tempo song.......similar tempo to the songs performed at Eurovision. There really is no winning which is why she should just do what she wants. Thankfully, she is.

It's apparent her Eurovision performance was more about performance art than a high energy, heavily choreographed number. 

Sorry but I find it insulting to her when people talk about her "lack of energy" on RHT. It's true it wasn't as dance heavy as MDNA but to imply that she's lazy or lacking is absolutely ridiculous. I highly doubt even our 20 something forum members would get through that full show, much less doing it two times in one day (rehearsal and performance). 

1 minute ago, Kurt420 said:

And reading through the Crave video thread, the main critique after it leaked was that her dancing a bit too fast and erratic for such a mid-tempo song.......similar tempo to the songs performed at Eurovision. There really is no winning which is why she should just do what she wants. Thankfully, she is.

It's apparent her Eurovision performance was more about performance art than a high energy, heavily choreographed number. 

Sorry but I find it insulting to her when people talk about her "lack of energy" on RHT. It's true it wasn't as dance heavy as MDNA but to imply that she's lazy or lacking is absolutely ridiculous. I highly doubt even our 20 something forum members would get through that full show, much less doing it two times in one day (rehearsal and performance). 

I've never said she's lazy. During the RHT she said in an interview that she couldn't prepare herself physically enough, she was having problems with Rocco as well. Now she raises 6 kids and of course she's not exercising the way she used to, and that's why there's a huge difference between the 2012's peformances and the ones from now on. 

1 hour ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

The problem is, the performance did not get better. The monk chants were much too long with her in the extremely unfavorable cape, the preachy middle part was too long, dark and preachy and Future wasn't the right song for this performance. It might have fit for Coachella or Glastonbury but not for this camp pop event. There was absolutely no big audience for it. I like Future, but Crave or Medellin would've been so much better.

Personally I live the performance and specially the middle part and The Future part. It was so conceptual.

3 minutes ago, an_mdna_fan said:

When there are enough of them, they can easily change our opinion, how we feel about a performance.  It is eps true when everyone deep down is a little insecure about getting older and our idol getting older.

I can already tell you there will be some to balk at this but you're 1000% correct. Most people will say they don't let that kind of thing influence them but on some level, it does....more than we even realize sometimes. It happened to me here tonight! I almost didn't watch the performance at all because of the comments here. I just thought I'd come back to it one day in the future when things cool down. I nervously hit "play" fully anticipating a total trainwreck, likely the worst performance of her career. Now that I've seen it, that thought it laughable now. Social media overdramatizes EVERYTHING and it's only natural that it rubs off on us. 

I think Niki Harris actually touched on the aging thing a bit recently. She said something along the lines of it's harder for pop stars to age because pop fans age and don't adapt well to new things.....paraphrasing very badly but that was the gist of it. Getting old is the one thing nobody can avoid so yeah, I can imagine for some to see what THEY perceive to be Madonna "slowing down" is alarming and scary for a number of reasons. Nevermind though the fact that Madonna is embarking on a theater tour so naturally, her live performances will probably focus a lot on......theatrics as opposed to heavy choreography this time around. 

I enjoy reading everybody's opinions both positive and negative. I really want to know what fans truthfully think about her work. I don't like people who are overly critical either, but fans are going to have very diverse opinions. We can't agree on everything, especially with things like music and art.

I won't read other social media though because they're outright haters and assholes. That's too annoying. Lol

5 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I think Niki Harris actually touched on the aging thing a bit recently. She said something along the lines of it's harder for pop stars to age because pop fans age and don't adapt well to new things.....paraphrasing very badly but that was the gist of it. Getting old is the one thing nobody can avoid so yeah, I can imagine for some to see what THEY perceive to be Madonna "slowing down" is alarming and scary for a number of reasons. Nevermind though the fact that Madonna is embarking on a theater tour so naturally, her live performances will probably focus a lot on......theatrics as opposed to heavy choreography this time around. 

I think it might have been the same in the 90's, when she stopped touring and released albums that were more conceptual. idk cause I wasnt born by then

I love her and I'll always do, so I will go on in this trip with her, although I like more when she's dancing like hell, sweating and etc..

4 hours ago, Nonoka said:

Full performance shot from the audience:

well, so she was off key but not that bad  .it´s a pity that she didn´t nail LAP, really,we know she is a great performer,but a lot of people don´t.

at least the 7 years old daughter of a friend now she knows who madonna is. She asked her why that woman was talking on eurovision and my frie4nd told her that she is really important! then had to prove her that...showing her the video with maluma!

1 hour ago, svperstar said:

........Don't leave us alone here........  :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:.

:lmao:

Joking aside, I so feel ya though... What you'd think would be a fun, exciting time has simply turned into a stressful experience. And it seems to keep happening in Madonna fandom as the years go by...

Her message seems to be a bigger talking point than her vocals, which, I guess, is why she decided to do Eurovision in the first place. Of course, certain parts of Internet are ignoring it because it wasn't what THEY wanted her to do. Because, you know, posts on a pop forum mean more than 30+ years of social commentary and charity work :doh:

2 hours ago, Disintegration said:

Yeah I think she’s had a lot of good vocal moments recently, on RHT I thought she sounded wonderful on True Blue for example and I think the whole arena loved it. 

However she missed the mark quite hugely here, not because the performance was all bad (it wasn’t) but because it’s the biggest European audience possible and now everyone’s going to think she’s just a bad singer. I’ve seen a depressing amount of negative feedback from those who are usually open to Madonna’s music. No backing vocalists and an arrangement that highlights the vocals? I feel embarrassed for her 😞 the dark tone overall didn’t help. I understand why that tone was chosen, to fit with the political angle of the performance, but I think she’d have been able to overcome some shaky vocals with a brighter performance of, say, Medellin and Music/Hung Up(or a brighter arrangement of LaP) 

Those are my thoughts exactly. 

3 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Well I woke up and I'm so glad that all headlines are turned into the flag moment! Hope the PR works that line! 

Here the media, major news sites, are solely concentrating on her vocals and her lack of performance energy. literally calling it “the performance that ended her career “. 

6 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Here the media, major news sites, are solely concentrating on her vocals and her lack of performance energy. literally calling it “the performance that ended her career “. 

Oh dear that's an overreaction. Where are you from? 

Guest eroticerotic
48 minutes ago, lautert said:

I think it might have been the same in the 90's, when she stopped touring and released albums that were more conceptual. idk cause I wasnt born by then

I love her and I'll always do, so I will go on in this trip with her, although I like more when she's dancing like hell, sweating and etc..

I recall her getting critical acclaim as she “slowed down” in the 90s esp after evita.

whats happening now is very different for sure. 

1 hour ago, svperstar said:

Agree 100% with what you say. Sometimes reading posts here suck up the joy of the new album. I was thinking this myself too. 

Come back soon ❤️

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

Oh dear that's an overreaction. Where are you from? 

Germany. And it not coming from gossip sites. It’s sites like Spiegel.de etc. Very much an overreaction and the German media has always been hard on her. But still, it’s sad to read those headlines.