Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

4 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

Madonna should have known that everyone in the audience knows the disputes in the Middle East. That's why they wanted to celebrate and enjoy a time without war and violence together - and without pictures of violence and gas masks.

But they don't deserve to shut their eyes? That's the point, no? You don't get to just pretend it doesn't exist when you're at a huge party not far where people are kept in camps as second class (non) citizens. 

4 hours ago, Shane said:

I just watched and loved it.  Other than being very pitchy on one of the “take you there” lines I thought her voice was strong and full.

I wonder if a lot of people just prefer celebratory sexual Madonna to dark political and somber Madonna. Since I love her darker work, this version of LAP thrilled me. Some of you may be disappointed in this era because I think it will be a dark and mysterious one.

In the US I am not seeing much negative from the media. The EW piece is fine, for example. Pitchfork is fine. As for social media, do people on there EVER like her?

BBMA was defi etly NOT dark. So shes giving all sides this era..

6 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

Madonna should have known that

Any sentence starting with these words makes me question how you can be a Madonna fan. It goes against her core artistic fiber. 

Watch the Vice interview from a few years ago she explains it all ... 

10 minutes ago, peter said:

The dancers do remove the gas masks, if I’m not mistaken...

And there are comments on that EW article stating that “I bet Madonna doesn’t even know/understand the conflict or how long it’s been going on...” So I guess maybe she doesn’t know her audience...? It must have been her first time in Israel... Maybe we should cut her some slack.

Every person lives in a bubble of their own, also Madonna. Sometimes it is obvious that she wants to teach people more than they need. Not that that's bad, but sometimes it's just inappropriate or just too much. She obviously didn't know much about the ESC.

I fuckin loved it! I actually enjoyed it more than the Billboard music awards performance. 

LAP was so - so - but Future was amazing! Dramatic, striking, different and very iconic. A+ 

1 hour ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

It's awkward if you want to prove to your friends and family what a great singer Madonna is - and then Eurovision 2019 happens. 😂

It was live. There are 1000 things that could go wrong.

The arrangement of LAP was naked and left her vocals bare on top of that 97kbs midi file.

They should fix the vocal AND the background music on the video upload.

Just now, Bette Davis Dub said:

Every person lives in a bubble of their own, also Madonna. Sometimes it is obvious that she wants to teach people more than they need. 

And sometimes people that “already know” something still need the lesson — as a reminder, as a reinforcement, as a warning, as a simplified and purer message that may have gotten buried over time by the hardships and worries of life. To continue to call people to love God and love their neighbor in every time and place is the work of a prophet. 

She feels a responsibility to use her voice. Sometimes people need consolation. Sometimes people need celebration. Sometimes people need a call to action. 

5 minutes ago, air1975 said:

I fuckin loved it! I actually enjoyed it more than the Billboard music awards performance. 

LAP was so - so - but Future was amazing! Dramatic, striking, different and very iconic. A+ 

+1

It was a ambitious performance

The crowd were clearly waiting somethi g like the rave LAP on sweet and sticky Tour

I cant with the negative reactions... saddened by it. Why is that after she performed amazingly at BBMA we got only few positive comments in the thread? But in here there was  onslaught of people ripping her to shreds, a sudden appearance of a bunch of negative posters. The performance was not mindblowing but its good. There are far worst vocal performance of madonna see rol vma 98 or pog ema 98. 

11 minutes ago, peter said:

And sometimes people that “already know” something still need the lesson — as a reminder, as a reinforcement, as a warning, as a simplified and purer message that may have gotten buried over time by the hardships and worries of life. To continue to call people to love God and love their neighbor in every time and place is the work of a prophet. 

She feels a responsibility to use her voice. Sometimes people need consolation. Sometimes people need celebration. Sometimes people need a call to action. 

THIS. THIS. THIS. 

18 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

It was live. There are 1000 things that could go wrong.

The arrangement of LAP was naked and left her vocals bare on top of that 97kbs midi file.

They should fix the vocal AND the background music on the video upload.

The problem is, the performance did not get better. The monk chants were much too long with her in the extremely unfavorable cape, the preachy middle part was too long, dark and preachy and Future wasn't the right song for this performance. It might have fit for Coachella or Glastonbury but not for this camp pop event. There was absolutely no big audience for it. I like Future, but Crave or Medellin would've been so much better.

i’ve just pieced together watching the performance by watching a couple of the links here.

The visual backdrops throughout were very cool, the spoken word section was interesting with the dancers rolling down the stairs and Future was performed pretty well. M has balls of steel and always says the things she wants to say and kudos to her for her message of peace and her ‘wake up’ call for our futures in the middle of the Eurovision contest!!

Having said that, LAP really was a big let down. It set the tone for the performance being the intro and it was dead on arrival - her vocals were ok to start with (with a few bum notes) but eventually she lost her way, lost the melody and got swallowed by the tinny music and the choir. It was also lifeless. For such a euphoric, joyous song, the music had no oomph and the presentation of it was a real downer and it just never went anywhere. This rendition definitely didn’t take me there....

Overall I thought the performance was so-so. It wasn’t a total disaster but it wasn’t great either. Should she be crucified for it - i don’t think so. Will she be crucified for it - by some for sure.....

LAP wasn't as enjoyable for me bc it was pretty similar to Met Gala and didn't have enough movement/visual interest. A new arrangement would have sparked my interest. However, I thought her voice was fine for a live performance. A bit pitchy but who cares? I really enjoyed Future on the other hand. She came to life, the choreography was hawt, background visuals stunning. The song fit her political message (if you don't learn from the past, you ain't goin to the future...) kudos for displaying the two flags to symbolize coexistence.

Just now, roma said:

Very good points but I am shocked Madonna misread Eurovision, LAP should have been joyous, the MET version and vision was never going to translate to a bigger setting without backup singers or a full choir. Where was the fun, the celebration. Big missed opportunity

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I actually thought it was quite good, except for the bad notes in Like a Prayer. From what it sounds like, I don’t think Madonna could hear herself. Maybe her sound check didn’t go properly? Madonna very rarely is THAT off-key. I think there was some technical issue there.

18 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

+1

It was a ambitious performance

The crowd were clearly waiting somethi g like the rave LAP on sweet and sticky Tour

The crowd loved to see Madonna and wanted to party with her and her hits. She was introduced by the moderators and they sang together Music. And then... 🙄

Just saw it and it wasn’t terrible as it sounded,  but it was very flat and uneventful considering how slick it looked. “Future” really doesn’t work on any level for me, and this performance of an album track kind of proved it. 

I wonder if she has set these unrealistic expectations on herself over the last several years that the Average Joe demands to see a glossy high production from her on every single performance. Because that’s just saying herself up for failure. And she’s delivered killer performances before without needing the additional theatrics (Live 8 & Live Earth, Express Yourself VMAs). 

Perhaps she would have been better off toning down the theatrics considerably, stood there and given richer, energetic vocals than the shaky ones tonight. An understatedly heartfelt, strong vocal performance (no auto tune) with the right song choices for a Eurovision audience would have won her some goodwill.

But whatever it’s not the end of the world.

I think that the problem maybe was that she didn’t payed many attention to Eurovision, it seems like she rehearsed more for BBMA and had more chemistry with Maluma than what she did here, maybe she thought she was going to American Idol or X Factor clone and thought that Met Gala 1.5 would be it.

Even if no one liked the performance it still sparked interest in both songs and her music as seen on iTunes and YouTube, and the tour would have been sold out anyway.

And the bloody cape and eyepatch aren’t it, she was scared walking down the stairs and then dancing in future watching that no one stepped on her tail.

Why does everything have to be fun and celebratory all of the time? 

She showed that side 3 weeks ago in another performance. This was about something else for her......venue be damned. I expect GP to maybe be confused by that but her biggest fans not getting that?? Come on. Seriously? We are talking about the same Madonna right?

1 minute ago, Kurt420 said:

She showed that side 3 weeks ago in another performance. This was about something else for her......venue be damned. I expect GP to maybe be confused by that but her biggest fans not getting that?? Come on. Seriously? We are talking about the same Madonna right?

A performance like this makes sense in the context of a full show, like LAV/Love Spent. It would be like her doing that performance live on TV. It wouldn't translate.

7 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

You have the biggest camp pop audience on earth to promote for your brandnew album - and then you give them a half-baked version of LaP, a politcal speech and a song they are obviously not interested in? That doesn't sound very clever.

1 minute ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

You have the biggest camp pop audience on earth to promote for your brandnew album - and then you give them a politcal preach and a song they are obviously not interested in?

Maybe the message was that much more important to her than a few thousand extra album sales....

1 minute ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

A performance like this makes sense in the context of a full show, like LAV/Love Spent. It would be like her doing that performance live on TV. It wouldn't translate.

I personally love"Darkdonna"  but it's no surprise that for this event people didn't exactly love it. 

All the polarization makes Madonna more interesting, yet kinda exhausting after a while.

1 minute ago, rekha said:

Maybe the message was that much more important to her than a few thousand extra album sales....

I just think it's a pity that she did not combine the useful with the pleasant to give everyone the best time, rather than disappointing or deploring many. As many have said, it was a great wasted opportunity.