Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

44 minutes ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

I liked it too and was baffled by the reactions in here lol. Even during LAP, I thought she sounded good except for one part.

I will say that people need to calm down with all the gloom and doom just because this performance wont be received well. Remember Mariah's new years performance? Maroon 5's Super Bowl? Those were received even worse and meme'd into oblivion and people forgot about them in a week. At least there was nothing in this performance that will turn into a stupid meme.

And the reaction to Maroon 5 was completely overblown as well.....and I can't stand them. 

Mariah was completely unprofessional in her performance so that's another ballgame. 

If I had watched the performance without coming here first, I honestly would've thought MNation would be raving about it.....with comments on the bum notes obviously but this has been blown LAUGHABLY out of proportion. :lmao:Wait until she has a REALLY bad performance one day. I don't think there will be any posts cuz these peeps will have dropped dead.

1 minute ago, Katypatra said:

WTH are you talking about? She didn’t perform Dark Balet aka Beautiful Game. She performed Future. 

for the millionth time...someone shazamed it tonight and the spoken word was part of dark ballet 

1 minute ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

It was supposedly the part with her speech between Like a Prayer and Future.

Well yeah, it was a spoken part, which was beautiful. But we still haven’t heard the song! 

Just now, Chriz said:

for the millionth time...someone shazamed it tonight and the spoken word was part of dark ballet 

Some people on here will not accept that as fact so just let it be. That’s why I didn’t answer. It’s already enough of a headache being a fan with everyone constantly hating even amongst fans. 

Now someone one get me a performance!!! How could no M fan have downloaded it. It hasn’t come up on my timeline 

1 minute ago, Chriz said:

I know that!! But it wasn’t a song! It was a spoken part of it. Jesus. 

1 hour ago, Danmacevents said:

It wasn't great. Even if they don't like her she's on such a high pedestal. And they don't understand sjes not 40 anymore. However when she came on the X fel off my eye patch. 

15582300667801395591359530190520.jpg

It's all going to blow over, and we'll eventually get more new tracks and the full album! 

Hope you had a fun anyway!

3 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

And the reaction to Maroon 5 was completely overblown as well.....and I can't stand them. 

Mariah was completely unprofessional in her performance so that's another ballgame. 

If I had watched the performance without coming here first, I honestly would've thought MNation would be raving about it.....with comments on the bum notes obviously but this has been blown LAUGHABLY out of proportion. :lmao:Wait until she has a REALLY bad performance one day. I don't think there will be any posts cuz these peeps will have dropped dead.

Gotta say I agree here and I usually don’t see eye to eye with Kurt lol

i think this is just gonna be a big divide across the pond and that’s that 

timberlake at the Super bowl 

maroon 5 at the super bowl

burpney at the VMAs

its happened to younger and more commercially vulnerable stars and they bounced back 

you guys need to take a moment and get some perspective. Instagram and twitter are unrepresentative and full of ppl with mental issues lol

13 minutes ago, ursula said:

Maybe? could be an intro/interlude/outro

12 minutes ago, Mensch said:

Maybe it’s the verses and the prechorus is the part we heard at the met gala with a different chorus 

10 minutes ago, ursula said:

I'm excited to find out. June 7 🙂

I have been looking forward to Dark Ballet very much and continue to. I just don’t know how all the pieces fit together yet.

It’s odd, because perhaps those spoken lines are sung in the actual album track or something, but I supposed they might have come from “Batuka,” based on the line quoted in the British Vogue article (about the storm — she was whispering about a wind howling in this performance, right?)

Should be an interesting track when we get to hear it!

2 minutes ago, Mensch said:

Some people on here will not accept that as fact so just let it be. That’s why I didn’t answer. It’s already enough of a headache being a fan with everyone constantly hating even amongst fans. 

Now someone one get me a performance!!! How could no M fan have downloaded it. It hasn’t come up on my timeline 

I cant wait to finally hear that song...been waiting for it for a year it seems lol

Having rewatched it, I’ll focus first on the positive: most people haven’t seen the Gregorian chant atmospheric Like A Prayer as it was perfectly performed at the Met Gala. Therefore, the Eurovision vocal debate isn’t probably the main focus of anyone watching this performance...The visuals remain stunning and impactful. The backdrop video looks fantastic! An indictment of religious patriarchy from what I could see. The interlude had a Puck-like Midsummer Night’s Dream vibe to it.  Perfect for the setting; playful and political. There was real dramatic flair to Future and the self-sacrificial ending was possibly dark as fuck. Was it a leap of faith or a statement of doom? And what was that pyramid shot before the wake up screen? Did they cut away from the stage for a reason? I didn’t get it. Seemed disjointed. Maybe there was something we weren’t allowed to see prior to the final message? 

I definitely realized upon revisiting the performance that my initial assessment was purely focused vocally as a result of that godawful rehearsal clip leaked earlier...I came to the performance with scrutinizing ears and expectations of doom! That’s my own fault. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard Madonna sing live on television and clenched all orifices with mixed emotions. I own that. #sorrynotsorry

That said, it doesn’t negate the fact that her vocals on LAP unfortunately missed the mark several times. You can deny it all you like, but some of those notes were living in a parallel universe. I get that not everyone is as discerning, but I love Madonna’s studio voice when she is relaxed and feels free to emote while hitting the actual intended notes. This performance of LAP was much too consistently off for my taste. That’s my only gripe! Otherwise, as always, Viva Madonna!

Edited by Herfaceremains

Ok, I feel like people are maybe being overly grim with the perceived “lack of energy” in her performance. I don’t think it was THAT out of line given the overall tone and mood it was meant to portray. And maybe it’s wishful thinking  but I do wonder if there was some issue with her earpiece because the vocals for like a prayer were soooo far off in all the most horribly random ways compared to so many of her previous performances that it sounded like someone who was trying to sing and wasn’t able to properly hear themself in order to hit the notes properly. I muted the audio for Future because I’m not listening to it until June 14th but based on everything I’ve read about it I’m not sure how the aesthetics of the performance meshed with the sound and vibe of the song itself although performance-wise it looked like things picked up ...overall, definitely not the ideal outcome given the size of the opportunity but life will go on. 

3 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

... underlaid with an instrumental.

and that instrumental is by another composer: Tchaikovsky. So it’s interesting that Shazam can tell the difference between the unreleased Madonna song and any number of jazzed-up/hip-hop-infused versions of the Nutcracker that you hear on commercials or on the radio at Christmastime.

I’m not trying to be skeptical, I just find it curious. That’s all!

I rewatched it on madonna infinity.😁 Gregorian chants are pretty amazing, and there was something about the interlude that I liked a lot.I wonder how Future will be changed for the tour or if it will primarily stay the same.

3 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

This performance of LAP was much too consistently off for my taste. That’s my only gripe! Otherwise, as always, Viva Madonna!

It's awkward if you want to prove to your friends and family what a great singer Madonna is - and then Eurovision 2019 happens. 😂

1 minute ago, peter said:

I have been looking forward to Dark Ballet very much and continue to. I just don’t know how all the pieces fit together yet.

It’s odd, because perhaps those spoken lines are sung in the actual album track or something, but I supposed they might have come from “Batuka,” based on the line quoted in the British Vogue article (about the storm — she was whispering about a wind howling in this performance, right?)

Should be an interesting track when we get to hear it!

And I imagined Batuka would be sung in portuguese (given its capo verde influence). That being said, using nutcracker for a song that is apparently empowering women makes a lot of sense 😂

4 minutes ago, peter said:

Perhaps her Pride performance next month will cleanse the palate of those who found this performance not to their tastes/liking?

What Pride performance?

1 minute ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

It's awkward if you want to prove to your friends and family what a great singer Madonna is - and then Eurovision 2019 happens. 😂

But you don't need to prove it.

Simple truth is, Madonna has said she's not the greatest singer. She's not in denial of reality.

Like the banter on Blond Ambition tour where she says to 'Dick Tracy', "you can't sing?, neither can I and look how far I've come" :lmao:

But when relaxed and enjoying herself, she can sing beautifully.

@Herfaceremains, what I saw toward the end was that when Quavo says “... crucifixion on the cross,” there seemed to be an inverted roofline of a church, complete with steeple and cross, reflected in the steps beneath Madonna and Quavo. Then they cut to that wide shot, which I assumed was just to show the light design in full, before they cut back to M and Quavo for her to say “wake up” and then they fall backward.

2 minutes ago, jonluvsmaddy said:

What Pride performance?

Heavily rumored but not officially confirmed. @Mensch seems to have been on set for the Crave video filming (if I’m reading those threads correctly?) and he said he heard her talking about both Eurovision and Pride. Now, as we know Eurovision barely became “official” as far as all parties were contractually concerned, until days ago. So ... with NYC Pride, which is World Pride for the 50th anniversary of Stonewall, Madonna is rumored to be the Sunday headliner, which has yet to be announced. And Pride is already sold out, further reinforcing the rumors. And the album is released the same month, so... It seems likely.

Just now, peter said:

Heavily rumored but not officially confirmed. @Mensch seems to have been on set for the Crave video filming (if I’m reading those threads correctly?) and he said he heard her talking about both Eurovision and Pride. Now, as we know Eurovision barely became “official” as far as all parties were contractually concerned, until days ago. So ... with NYC Pride, which is World Pride for the 50th anniversary of Stonewall, Madonna is rumored to be the Sunday headliner, which has yet to be announced. And Pride is already sold out, further reinforcing the rumors. And the album is released the same month, so... It seems likely.

Yes, yes and yes. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 

6 minutes ago, peter said:

@Herfaceremains, what I saw toward the end was that when Quavo says “... crucifixion on the cross,” there seemed to be an inverted roofline of a church, complete with steeple and cross, reflected in the steps beneath Madonna and Quavo. Then they cut to that wide shot, which I assumed was just to show the light design in full, before they cut back to M and Quavo for her to say “wake up” and then they fall backward.

I thought they cut to the light design to avoid showing that shot of the church upside down 

its to like the Super Bowl all over again (when they tried panning our and blurring the show of MIA’s middle finger but missed it) lmfao

Just now, Mensch said:

Yes, yes and yes. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 

Thanks, @Mensch, for the info! And I must have missed part of the Crave video discussion, because I was just inferring from some of your later comments — so, congrats on being there! What a special moment for you!! :kiss2: