Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

Just now, ursula said:

Sure! I really enjoyed suffering denmark, iceland and the likes for three hours (!) just so i could come here and "kill the moment" of a bunch of obsessive kids living in lala land! so enjoyable! just like syphilis, or herpes!

I don't have to justify my presence to you.

Calm down..let's go into the future. 🙂

1 minute ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

The apocalyptic war theme with gasmasks didn't help. The Met gala performance was absolutely wonderful. Everyone praised it because it was beautiful and uplifting. She turned it completely into something very uncomfortable.

Good.

I was so nerves I didnt see the whole performance properly It felt like something was wrong in the beginning she was really nervous. 

Tv commenters were horrible

Hope they upload it soon so i can see it calmed down

12 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Nobody was expecting an express yourself BAT style entry on to the stage but that's not the point. The energy was low it was like a non event presence and a karaoke version of a classic wrapped in stunning staging and costumes....style over substance that just didn't engage on an entertaining level.

I think she did good as usual with Like a Prayer. She was singing live and wearing an eye patch while walking on stairs, it is fair to say that we couldn’t expect better than this. It was an okay performance.

My problem though is with her new songs. No matter how fancy her costumes are i can’t ignore the fact that Future is a very boring song. Im not feeling this album at all.

They haven't uploaded the video but the live stream is still available on the official Eurovision channel. The speech has not been muted on that.

7 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Ive said this before but because of all these posts being made I think you might have missed it.. I often have my drama moment BEFORE things are gonna happen.. ever noticed that? 🙂 it's like im mentally preparing myself.. I had a bad feeling about this whole thing from the start of the rumours.. HOWEVER.. I watched this on a good sound system and I actually liked the vocals? I expected it to be worse, more cringe.. I loved the political message.. it just had to be more higher energy.. but how people react to this is soooo over the top, my gosh! you'd think she did Sticky and sweet's "borderline" in a stupid outfit judging the reactions.. the PERFORMANCE itself looked fucking epic.. the visuals are the best from the contest..

:clap:

I am so proud of her. She spoke truth to power! She stuck her neck out! I am here for a true artist. Long live the queen

6 minutes ago, mtsanis said:

what happened in the middle? the facebook video mutes it out...

They are so naive – they think we are not aware of their crimes. We know, but we’re just not ready to act. The storm isn’t in the air, it’s inside of us. I want to tell you about love and loneliness. But it’s getting late now. Can’t you hear outside of your Supreme hoodie, the wind that’s beginning to howl?

2 minutes ago, rekha said:

They haven't uploaded the video but the live stream is still available on the official Eurovision channel. The speech has not been muted on that.

Weird we're still waiting for the performance on Yt...

9 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

The apocalyptic war theme with gasmasks didn't help. The Met gala performance was absolutely wonderful. Everyone praised it because it was beautiful and uplifting. She turned it completely into something very uncomfortable.

But she has always embraced elements of the dark and uncomfortable in her work. Not exactly new. Given the direction of the world right now, it's exactly what I would expect from her.

8 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

That was the point!

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

She should upload Future only in her channel

That would be an acknowledgment of a mistake.

I don't know if she is willing to do that.

3 minutes ago, ursula said:

I'm cool as a cucumber.

Good, I love cucumber. 🙂

49 minutes ago, ursula said:

We all need chanting monks in our lives.

I would be down with the whole theatre tour being acapella vocals with those haunting chants. I love it. She was singing with the chants, that's the arrangement. 

1 minute ago, Nessie said:

I think she did good as usual with Like a Prayer. She was singing live and wearing an eye patch while walking on stairs, it is fair to say that we couldn’t expect better than this. It was an okay performance.

My problem though is with her new songs. No matter how fancy her costumes are i can’t ignore the fact that Future is a very boring song. Im not feeling this album at all.

I disagree she's played LAP much better than that and I'm not talking about vocals.

The Super Bowl performance for example that was lipped was uplifting with the choir and audience participation it had an epic feel to it. The staging at Eurovision was far more epic and stunning than the Super Bowl (just the LAP part) however it pulls off feeling far less epic due to the performance/sound. 

I like the new cuts from Madame X but Future is far from great/instant love which would of been more in keeping with the Eurovision, a massive audience who will in the most part just see Madonna perform it once.....so it needs to grab. 

That said she looked amazing she is the Queen and tonight is extremely rare Madonna hardly ever gets it wrong, she is known for being a show stopper and always bringing it and she continues to smash her contemporaries out the park with her performances. But tonight she wasn't on fire.

1 hour ago, mr_boogiewoogie said:

Kudos to the one and only Queen!

She had a couple shaky moments during LAP, it’s true, but overall she did good.

She was there with body, emotion and heart and she felt it all.

She’s not a robot and the fact that after so many years she can still be caught up with her emotions is proof of the fact that she is a true artist! 

There is no one like her! The visuals were absolutely amazing and breathtaking!

Absolutely agree. 👍

Just now, ursula said:

youse triyna slice me, dontcha?

Naa 🙂

Basically first half of the performance she walked down the steps. 

The second half, she walked them up. 

I commented on the version of LAP being too dark a few days ago and was shredded by crystalcoffin who now seems to agree with me. 

I would have been still happy if she sounded slightly better in LAP. It was just painful to watch for me with friends around. 

We’ll find out how it all went from Future’s performance on iTunes and streams I suppose. 

On top of all that, the cameraman also fucked it up! Which is not her fault obviously. 

Gotta say though...the overall staging was amazing. Definitely NOT boring in that regard.

Love that she brings real theater to mainstream pop performance. Can't say the same for so many of her contemporaries (young and old).

Okay, I've rewatched from the interlude, to focus on Future and actually, the performance of Future is fucking fire!!

I think it's really just LAP that rained down on everyone's parade. 

But yeah, I think that tomorrow everyone will have calmed down from the drama and we'll all rave about the performance as a whole.

1 minute ago, smirnoff_ice said:

On top of all that, the cameraman also fucked it up! Which is not her fault obviously. 

I thought that was on purpose.

I just watched and loved it.  Other than being very pitchy on one of the “take you there” lines I thought her voice was strong and full.

I wonder if a lot of people just prefer celebratory sexual Madonna to dark political and somber Madonna. Since I love her darker work, this version of LAP thrilled me. Some of you may be disappointed in this era because I think it will be a dark and mysterious one.

In the US I am not seeing much negative from the media. The EW piece is fine, for example. Pitchfork is fine. As for social media, do people on there EVER like her?

1 minute ago, VogueMusic said:

But she has always embraced elements of the dark and uncomfortable in her work. Not exactly new. Given the direction of the world right now, I'm wouldn't expect anything else from her.

I support her artistic and political point of view but the performance was musically and dramatically not well executed.
Her American Life video is an example that she can do it so much better: Powerfull, epic and tongue in cheek.

1 minute ago, Monkey said:

It was off key, dark and without hits. À big miss opirtinity!!! Imagine medellin, music, la is la bonita and holiday

It wasn't a missed opportunity at all.

She said what she wanted to say in the performance! And good on her for having the courage to do it.