Madonna @ NYC pride - CONFIRMED !

Just let her do what she wants! Some people will like it, some won't.

To have her perform in that place and on that day and during this very year is already an expression of love and it is an act of support, if there ever was a need for further demonstrations of how much she cares for the LGBTQ+ community.

It's not only about the songs. It's not only about more or less dancing.

There's a lot more than that and people could take a moment to reflect on what it means for an entire community to have been fighting and working and advocating for 50 years. M has certainly been a part of that community. For her to be there on the 50th anniversary means a lot. 

9 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

This is such a reach.

Madonna used to be good at this. She has so many weapons in her arsenal to give people the message you just tried to convey. INSTEAD, , when it came time to pick her weapons, she chooses a banana (Future), an old rotting fish (American Life), potpourri (I Rise) and some other as-yet undisclosed weapon (if its Vogue, I'd say Vogue is like a samurai sword). That's what her weaponry is consisting of these days when it comes to high profile live performances. That's BONKERS. 

Have we forgotten Live To Tell? How about oh, I dunno... Express Yourself? How about Deeper and Deeper? How about some of the new stuff that's really empowering and sexy, like Medellin? Or something controversial yet hauntingly catchy like God Control which drives home a massive issue while still sounding celebratory? 

She's gotten caught up with messages just like @Jeby said, and she's abandoning imagination as a result. This is why I am terrified of the God Control video. A ridiculous, graphic, or otherwise crude statement echoing Pulse (a very sore subject for American gays - just ask me) will make Europe's recent about-turn look like a blown fuse. It could be nuclear winter for her here. I hope she is being smart about this video. This is not 2003 with the American Life video. This is 2019.

Ugh this fucking woman. She has me wrapped around her finger but she's got me worried about her. 

If she was to sing Express Yourself I can guarantee half of her contrarian fans would complain she was lazy in revisiting an old chestnut. If she did Deeper and Deeper, it would be that her voice sounds bad, and how does the song reflect anything Pride-related? If she sang Live To Tell, the porta potties would be overflowing. Im sure you meant no offense, but I’ll interject that I don’t need to ask you what is a sore subject for American gays. I am one. None of us gets to speak on behalf of a majority. But I feel this conversation isn’t evolutionary. It’s torally tribal, and I guess that’s the problem. Madonna just can’t please every faction of her fanbase, casual and fervent, the GP, the haters, the ignorant and the cynical. It’s impossible. 

1 minute ago, Herfaceremains said:

If she was to sing Express Yourself I can guarantee half of her contrarian fans would complain she was lazy in revisiting an old chestnut. If she did Deeper and Deeper, it would be that her voice sounds bad, and how does the song reflect anything Pride-related? If she sang Live To Tell, the porta potties would be overflowing. Im sure you meant no offense, but I’ll interject that I don’t need to ask you what is a sore subject for American gays. I am one. None of us gets to speak on behalf of a majority. But I feel this conversation isn’t evolutionary. It’s torally tribal, and I guess that’s the problem. Madonna just can’t please every faction of her fanbase, casual and fervent, the GP, the haters, the ignorant and the cynical. It’s impossible. 

+1

4 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

No actually I do get to speak about that with some degree of authority cuz I lived there and went to that club almost every weekend from the years of 2014-2016 when I had friends who worked there. I was there just a month before it happened. I know ppl who were wounded and one who died. She really needs to watch it with this video. And this is just coming from me, a former regular of the club and former resident of Orlando. Imagine how ppl who were there might interpret it. 

Just now, Ai Papi Si. said:

No actually I do get to speak about that with some degree of authority cuz I lived there and went to that club almost every weekend from the years of 2014-2016 when I had friends who worked there. I was there just a month before it happened. I know ppl who were wounded and one who died. She really better watch it with this video. And this is just coming from me. Imagine how ppl who were there might interpret it. 

I’m sorry for your experience. I’m getting out of this thread because you have your reasons for your passionate responses, and I respect that. 

Just now, Herfaceremains said:

I’m sorry for your experience. I’m getting out of this thread because you have your reasons for your passionate responses, and I respect that. 

It's ok, I am not mad. I am just venting here. I'm really trying my best to not have to give up on her. I'm concerned. She makes me happy, I don't want that to change. 

I’l actually think she’s doing the right thing by delaying the release of the GC video and not performing it at Pride. It would be a PR disaster otherwise. The video looks like it’s about the Pulse nightclub shooting; I don’t think she wants to take that tone for a Pride performance. The confusing part is that I Rise follows the same theme of gun control.

Look, I get it, art is supposed to offend sometimes, it's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable, ALL I ASK OF MADONNA is that she do it with some degree of wit and savvy. Make the message stick. Don't give me some gratuitous recreation of one of the ugliest moments of our recent history. Like come on. Be smart about this.

AL is among her worst songs and it is not surprised it bombed when it was released (and she was coming from a very successful era). I like Future, but Quavo again (was he alive on ESC) and the song did zero for the album and... Why should it be performed at all? I Rise is among my least favourites on the album. So 3/4 of the performance would be joyless, lifeless bore. Why? Whats the logic for choosing AL really??? It would not connects with the gays in any way? Why isn't GC, HU or even Rescue Me performed???

Omg the overreacting here, is just too much, :dead:

no reason to post every 30 seconds, just get a fucking grip. :rotfl:

We're talking about a performance at PRIDE here, there's no man's life at stake. And if you question your love for M because of something you haven't seen yet, it says a lot about you. Maybe you shouldn't be here. You all sound like a bunch a spoiled kids.

I hope her next hashtag will be #notofansdictature

4 hours ago, karbatal said:

Yeah they should take it seriously. They should see themselves from the outside. Frankly I wish they suddenly hated her and go to another SAFE artist. Like Kylie, who did 100 minutes of safe music. Because it's clear that gays only understand Vogue and the bridge of God Control. 

If gays there boo Madonna they'll be a bunch of stupid people. You can perfectly enjoy I Rise and sing along from the top of your lungs and feel the message. But no, gays only want to belt out a house record. What a depressing thought.

I wrote a whole big response and just figured, fuck it. I don't want to get my head chopped off.  :tongue:

2 minutes ago, runa said:

We're talking about a performance at PRIDE here, there's no man's life at stake. And if you question your love for M because of something you haven't seen yet, it says a lot about the fact you. Maybe you shouldn't be here. You all sound like a bunch a spoiled kids.

omg do you feel better now

1 minute ago, runa said:

I do. Only took me 1 post to feel better. You should try it. 

:lol:That was a good one.

Need I remind you that this is called a forum for a reason. You come on here to have a discussion. Your lack of interest in having one doesn't make you better than me. If you add nothing to the argument, you may as well just lurk. Hope that makes sense to you. 

15 minutes ago, runa said:

We're talking about a performance at PRIDE here, there's no man's life at stake. And if you question your love for M because of something you haven't seen yet, it says a lot about you. Maybe you shouldn't be here. You all sound like a bunch a spoiled kids.

Thank you for restoring my faith in this thread.

20 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

omg do you feel better now

And do you and the rest of the moaners? 

I am DISGUSTED at this thread. If anybody in his/her right mind would think of booing Madonna I hope that person gets a big fat slap on the face for insulting a woman that has BUILT part of our culture and has helped us so much when we were suffering bullying at school and our families wouldn't understand us. 

That woman, Madonna, should go there and has the ovation of her life no matter what she performs. And if she wants to go and give a 20 minute speech, we clap because her message is what helped us so much. Her message, not Rescue Me or Hung Up. Not even Vogue. Her message that we should be proud of being ourselves.

She chose to give a performance through message just like she decided that Madame X wouldn't be a collection of God Control bridges and I Don't Search I find, but a Dark Ballet bullet to our brains. 

What's next? If she doesn't dress properly we boo her? If she decides in her tour to give an all accoustic session simmilar to TOAC she should retire? Yes, because I've read that very sentence in this thread "if she's not into the pop star thing anymore she should stop performing". You know who who are. She'll do whatever she wants and those who don't understand her can take the door and leave. Just like those wannabes left her when she did Erotica.  Just like after American Life some absurdas became Kylie fans. Just like Ray of Lighters hate her albums ever since and just lime Confessioners became Gaga stans. 

She doesn't care a bit and I have the feeling that the character assesination is this time for real. That she's frankly tired of the moaners and doesn't care if you all decide to boycott her. 

And yes, NOW I FEEL BETTER NOW. 

Bye, bunch of bitter Felicias. 

54 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

It's ok, I am not mad. I am just venting here. I'm really trying my best to not have to give up on her. I'm concerned. She makes me happy, I don't want that to change. 

Not to give up on her ?   

What over a pride performance that we have not even seen yet.   I did not like the Eurovision performance but has not made me reject Madonna or want to give up on her.  Already listening to Madame X and getting ready for the reviews of her tour. 

Funny too that the people that expressed disappointment over Eurovision were told off  but the criticisms were about the performance and singing.  There was none of the type of comments in this thread which funnily enough are far worse than anything said from people from Europe over Eurovison.  

5 minutes ago, karbatal said:

And do you and the rest of the moaners? 

I am DISGUSTED at this thread. If anybody in his/her right mind would think of booing Madonna I hope that person gets a big fat slap on the face for insulting a woman that has BUILT part of our culture and has helped us so much when we were suffering bullying at school and our families wouldn't understand us. 

That woman, Madonna, should go there and has the ovation of her life no matter what she performs. And if she wants to go and give a 20 minute speech, we clap because her message is what helped us so much. Her message, not Rescue Me or Hung Up. Not even Vogue. Her message that we should be proud of being ourselves.

She chose to give a performance through message just like she decided that Madame X wouldn't be a collection of God Control bridges and I Don't Search I find, but a Dark Ballet bullet to our brains. 

What's next? If she doesn't dress properly we boo her? If she decides in her tour to give an all accoustic session simmilar to TOAC she should retire? Yes, because I've read that very sentence in this thread "if she's not into the pop star thing anymore she should stop performing". You know who who are. She'll do whatever she wants and those who don't understand her can take the door and leave. Just like those wannabes left her when she did Erotica.  Just like after American Life some absurdas became Kylie fans. Just like Ray of Lighters hate her albums ever since and just lime Confessioners became Gaga stans. 

She doesn't care a bit and I have the feeling that the character assesination is this time for real. That she's frankly tired of the moaners and doesn't care if you all decide to boycott her. 

And yes, NOW I FEEL BETTER NOW. 

Bye, bunch of bitter Felicias. 

I never said I was going to fucking boo her. Stop lumping me in with all your gripes. I've been very civil in this thread. 

6 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Not to give up on her ?   

What over a pride performance that we have not even seen yet.   I did not like the Eurovision performance but has not made me reject Madonna or want to give up on her.  Already listening to Madame X and getting ready for the reviews of her tour. 

Funny too that the people that expressed disappointment over Eurovision were told off  but the criticisms were about the performance and singing.  There was none of the type of comments in this thread which funnily enough are far worse than anything said from people from Europe over Eurovison.  

Shrug. I probably won't give up on her. It was more meant give up on this "era" or whatever you wanna call it. 

You guys sure have a lot to say about the people voicing their concerns in this thread and I really hope you guys are right, and I am wrong. I'll leave it at that!

58 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

If she was to sing Express Yourself I can guarantee half of her contrarian fans would complain she was lazy in revisiting an old chestnut.

If she did Deeper and Deeper, it would be that her voice sounds bad, and how does the song reflect anything Pride-related?

If she sang Live To Tell, the porta potties would be overflowing. 

Excuses, excuses. 

Now the easy narrative behind this type of reasoning is that: "Oh, Madonna will be bashed for anything she did anyway, so why don't just stop putting any careful thoughts on everything altogether, just do ANYTHING LITERALLY". This is just sad. 

17 minutes ago, runa said:

Sorry but I'm ok with Madonna doing what the fuck she wants, and being all arty and political, but she could, at least, entertained a little bit the people. I'm not sure I rise, future (oh god this song is linked to ESC so much that I hate it) and American Life will please this crowd. I know she's not a pleaser but damn... It's not bad enough that the performance will be short (believe me I was at the Olympia and saw these people being all angry and throw bottles), but if she plays these songs it's gonna be a disaster.

Maybe you want Madonna for yourself, and if she follows that route, she won't have many fans left.

The contrarianism of some of these rebuttals is frankly bizarre. They don’t even make sense. You either respect an artist’s choice as fundamental or you don’t. Popularity and art rarely coexist. Art is often uncomfortable, politically divisive and rarely heralded at the moment it reaches the zeitgeist. Taste, preference and fantasy are simply a part of the process that gives art context and meaning for the person having the experience. Enjoyment is subjective and suggestible. From these points, you can make your own choice as to how you choose to experience Madonna’s Pride performance.