Eurovision

The whole political thing in the voting process is a bit overblown, U shouldn't underestimate the affinity people
have with the culture of their neighbouring countries and regions. Sometimes performers are even well known
in neighbouring countries, or they speak the same second language etc. Why did Anouk/The Netehrlands get 12
point from Belgium and not any other country? Cuz she's an act that sells out Arena's here. There are plenty
of such examples. And in the end the winner is always the winner as in the Country that amassed the most points
on average from EVERY country.

I'd say it's more political in the sense of the audience booing Russia.

As for The UK, they never suffered from political voting, they have just been consistently shit,
humorless and/or sexless throughout the last decade.

7 minutes ago, swimtoshore said:

It is the lead story on Billboard now....

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8511378/madonna-eurovision-performance-doubt-reports

If parts of her staging have already arrived and she and an entourage of 135 people are arriving tomorrow, how could they be at this point with no contract signed???

smdh

One of my friends, who happens to be the Danish Eurovision commentator, is sure that the contract issue is a mere formality and that the performance will go on as planned. He thinks an official announcement will be made on Friday during the EBU/KAN press conference.

He has also revealed that the rehearsal schedule issued to the participating broadcasters includes some rehearsal slots reserved for 'M'.

9 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

What do you think of Icelandic entry this year?

One of my favourites 😍

It's in my top 3 of this year's entries

#hatriðmunsigra 

53 minutes ago, karbatal said:

The Brunei boycott has nothing to do with this case. The Israel boycott comes from the foreign affairs of the county and, quite frankly, USA should be boycotted a hundred times if we start bringing foreign affair politics to music performances 🙄

Exactly!! I find it hypocritical at least 

4 minutes ago, acko said:

The whole political thing in the voting process is a bit overblown, U shouldn't underestimate the affinity people
have with the culture of their neighbouring countries and regions. Sometimes performers are even well known
in neighbouring countries, or they speak the same second language etc. Why did Anouk/The Netehrlands get 12
point from Belgium and not any other country? Cuz she's an act that sells out Arena's here. There are plenty
of such examples. And in the end the winner is always the winner as in the Country that amassed the most points
on average from EVERY country.

I'd say it's more political in the sense of the audience booing Russia.

As for The UK, they never suffered from political voting, they have just been consistently shit,
humorless and/or sexless throughout the last decade.

Plus we are part of the big 5 who don't need to "audition" due to our financial contributions. So we can send whatever. I am happy we are always in it but I think we should take it more seriously. 

32 minutes ago, Danmacevents said:

Because her song was outrageous and a feminist statement. There are usually clear winners such as Netta or Conchita a few years back. But even if countries don't give any points on certain sings they usually end up ten or twelve points from their neighbors even if they are they only points they get. 

It has gotten less political over the years but as last year's UK entry got ambushed on stage regarding the UK media and brexit. The politics will always be there. 

:rotfl:

Just now, Danmacevents said:

Plus we are part of the big 5 who don't need to "audition" due to our financial contributions. So we can send whatever. I am happy we are always in it but I think we should take it more seriously. 

People just expect more from the UK because historically it's the greatest nation in terms of pop music history.
The genre was basically invented there with The Beatles, and there r so many great singers and musicians. But
then the Eurovision has this reputation of being kitsch or almost a joke, so who wants 2 participate?

I think with Eastern European Nations all the pomp and circumstance is a serious matter because
a lot of those countries are still relatively young democracies, so it's literally a thing of national pride to them.

Eurovision is a tradition .We are gathering ,order pizzas and beers and wait for the best part ;voting .It's not political at all ,it is actually a big party

1 minute ago, acko said:

But then the Eurovision has this reputation of being kitsch or almost a joke, so who wants 2 participate?

This. Eurovision is a joke. Yes, some songs are good every year (5-6 every year usually), but those never get anywhere, or rarely. I mean, look at the lame bitch who won last year? I mean, c'mon, a joke! And then its voting scheme is weird and reeks of politics. It honestly does not seem like a fair contest imho. But then many people see it, so I get why M chose this as a promo tool.

20 minutes ago, acko said:

People just expect more from the UK because historically it's the greatest nation in terms of pop music history.
The genre was basically invented there with The Beatles, and there r so many great singers and musicians. But
then the Eurovision has this reputation of being kitsch or almost a joke, so who wants 2 participate?

I think with Eastern European Nations all the pomp and circumstance is a serious matter because
a lot of those countries are still relatively young democracies, so it's literally a thing of national pride to them.

Not so, literally as it may look, at least I’m sure about Romania. The show to choose the participant to Eurovision has very low ratings. On the other hand I think nord European countries (e.g. Sweden) take it quite seriously.

24 minutes ago, karbatal said:

:rotfl:

Today alone you have called me passive aggressive, told me to get lost, called two people (including myself) absurd and are now just laughing. I usually ignore the bitchiness in this forum but you wanna act like a limited worded clown I shall join your circus. 

I sincerely believe there is some prejudice about this show, I saw the singers of this year and I didn't find kitsch or trash exhibits. surely there is more quality on this show than in some editions of bbmas / mtv awards

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

And I disagree about Eurovision being political. It's a music contest where music is the main reason of existence and where any friction between countries is frowned upon or even ends in penalities (Ukraine caser). 

In Madonna's case,  she works for years to make people together through music and that's what Eurovision is about.. it's a bit painful having to explain this in a Madonna forum. I thought at least fans understood it. 

So incredibly naive.

Eurovision is allowing itself to be used by a billionaire who has admitted that it's his mission to change public perception of his human rights abusing country by using his money to do it. Had they said "no thanks" then you might have a point.

That I have to even explain the ins and outs of the dangers of allowing the arts to be hijacked by political propaganda, in this case, the apparatus of a semi-apartheid state using a tacky gay song contest, is baffling but not entirely unexpected.

In Madonna's case, she is going there to promote her record and collect her ridiculous paycheck, unless I missed the announcement that she's doing it for free or donating it all or better yet told them NO.

My values and integrity don't change just because my favourite pop star decides to do something.

She will do exactly how she wants as usual, and might even risk her fee to do so. She has made it clear she supports peace in the region, and one way or another that will show in her performance. I’m sure of it.

I'm so excited! M on eurovision. Two things im excited about! Love her and eurovision. And i hope our song does really well, and might win. How great would that be after 1975....hoping!

23 minutes ago, Kim said:

So incredibly naive.

Eurovision is allowing itself to be used by a billionaire who has admitted that it's his mission to change public perception of his human rights abusing country by using his money to do it. Had they said "no thanks" then you might have a point.

That I have to even explain the ins and outs of the dangers of allowing the arts to be hijacked by political propaganda, in this case, the apparatus of a semi-apartheid state using a tacky gay song contest, is baffling but not entirely unexpected.

In Madonna's case, she is going there to promote her record and collect her ridiculous paycheck, unless I missed the announcement that she's doing it for free or donating it all or better yet told them NO.

My values and integrity don't change just because my favourite pop star decides to do something.

This is spot on, people on this forum have a hard time ever admitting she does anything wrong... This is one of those issues that's going to be looked on incredibly negatively in her career for years to come and one that completely contradicts her whole "standing up for the disenfranchised" messaging. She's a smart woman who knows exactly what's happening in the area and her refusal to see her wrongdoings here is incredibly disappointing but I guess some increased exposure for new music and an extra million dollars in her pocket is worth the terrible judgement. 

14 minutes ago, sfm93 said:

This is spot on, people on this forum have a hard time ever admitting she does anything wrong... This is one of those issues that's going to be looked on incredibly negatively in her career for years to come and one that completely contradicts her whole "standing up for the disenfranchised" messaging. She's a smart woman who knows exactly what's happening in the area and her refusal to see her wrongdoings here is incredibly disappointing but I guess some increased exposure for new music and an extra million dollars in her pocket is worth the terrible judgement. 

All understandable.

But, it is not news that Madonna supports the state of Israel as well as Palestine. Music and the arts support the place, the culture and the people. Not the Israeli government. The government in place will try and use it to their advantage, but people can and will see through that. We re not talking about a dictatorship that just came power 2 months ago via bloodshed.

By this logic she would have also skipped the BB awards because of Trump. And so many other awards under past US presidents that made wrong decisions when it came to wars.

If anything she will Im sure speak of unity and non- violence through her performance as she always has and will. This will be food for the thought for ALL sides. Not just one.

1 hour ago, Bat-Fan said:

What do you think of Icelandic entry this year?

Interesting, but I only like the chorus. Reminds me of Royksopp. 

I think that The Netherlands and Italy have a strong chance at winning this year. Azerbaijan is also very good! 

17 minutes ago, sfm93 said:

I'm curious to see what exactly she does. 

There are various ways to approach this. For example, the Icelandic entry is very political and see performing as an opportunity to shine light in some way on anti-fascism v. not performing at all. I think both that approach and boycotting are valid. I just would hope that Madonna makes some kind of clear statement. Denouncing violence and advocating for peace is good, but it risks falling into 'both sides' messaging. One side is occupying the other, one side is carrying out an apartheid. 

Y'all queens are really shitting yourselves over this :lmao: 

Let mama get her check. If this were any other pop star there would be no controversy over them performing.