Eurovision

10 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

I was just gonna say...

This is all SUPER weird. They only have a few days left to figure this out (assuming this is not some ill-advised stunt). I mean...if it's still up in the air, I can't see Madonna even wanting to do it at this point. She doesn't have that kind of patience and time is money, she's not going to be rehearsing for 16 hours a day for something that may or may not happen.

I believe @Mensch of course, but it's still weird that they're either a) trying to drum up excitement by claiming Madonna has not signed a contract or b) admitting in the open that negotiations have been fraught, thus making everyone look stupid including Madonna. The fuck?!

The whole thing has stunk from the start tbh.

They should be giving a press conference about how happy they are to have secured Madonna (ok, they didn't, it was a rich Israeli who's decided to use the contest as a propaganda tool, but still) ..not saying in public "she hasn't signed and if she doesn't sign she's not going on stage".

It's very very weird

Madonna set to arrive for Eurovision, but gig still in air

Equipment is already here and pop star to fly in with huge entourage on Wednesday, but negotiations still ongoing over broadcast rights

Pop superstar Madonna will land in Israel on Wednesday morning, accompanied by an entourage of 135 people, ahead of her planned performance during the Eurovision finals on Saturday night.

But on Monday, Eurovision executive producer Jon Ola Sand said her performance was not yet confirmed, since the European Broadcasting Union does not have a signed contract with her team.Disagreements apparently remained regarding the EBU’s broadcasting rights for the performance, as the union is demanding all member networks be granted full rights to the materials. “If we don’t have a signed contract, she can’t perform on that stage,” Sand said at a Monday night press conference at the Tel Aviv Expo. “We’re negotiating that now.”Earlier Monday, the public relations team for Sylvan Adams, the Canadian-Israeli philanthropist, who is reportedly funding a large portion of Madonna’s $1.3 million fee and bringing her to Israel on his private jet, stated that preparations for Madonna’s performance were already taking place.

Daniel Benaim, the CEO of the Comtec Group, an Israeli events producer that is handling the singer’s production in Israel, stated in a press release that her performance was a complicated one with demands and standards similar to those of other international performers.

A portion of Madonna’s stage set arrived in Israel on Monday, on a cargo plane loaded with 30 tons of equipment, including 70 stairs and and an elevator that will be part of the Eurovision stage. Other preparations include a backstage tent complex for Madonna’s team and four full rehearsals.

Madonna’s entourage includes rapper KoVu, a choir of 40 people, 25 dancers and dozens of choreographers, staging, lighting, and video art personnel for her performance.

Adams, who has lived in Israel since 2015, and has funded several major projects, including the Giro d’Italia Big Start bike race that took place in the Jerusalem area last year, said it was an honor to host Madonna for Eurovision.

“The Eurovision being hosted in Tel Aviv brings the biggest music competition in the world and I’m excited that Madonna will be the face of Eurovision and will add more ratings, interest and excitement to what I hope will be the most successful Eurovision ever,” stated Adams. “The Eurovision brings countries together, as well as cultures, tolerance, and friendship through music, and Israel is the perfect home for hosting the competition and for advancing those values — I believe that all of Israel joins me in my wishes and in welcoming Madonna.”

According to local promoter Live Nation, the $1.3 million price tag for a 15-minute Madonna performance will be paid for by Adams.

Source:The times of Israel

Edited by strepentijger

27 minutes ago, Kim said:

Is making your star booking (not to mention your own organization) look unprofessional and haphazard a good look for anybody?

Yes you are right it's not a good look. Just hoping it was on purpuse but telling in public the biggest star on earth she cant get that stage if

Hope they work it out and not turn into a media disaster afterwards

Maybe she has to register as an Icon member or citi Card holder in order to be given a permission to bid for a Performance Ticket :-))

1 hour ago, strepentijger said:

Madonna’s entourage includes rapper KoVu, a choir of 40 people, 25 dancers and dozens of choreographers, staging, lighting, and video art personnel for her performance.

1 hour ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Lol um

Omg :rotfl:

Madonna feat. KoVu for a performance that might happen in 4 days but also maybe not

This is the Meerkat of the Madame X era :laugh:

She will be there with bells on. She would not fly out staging, equipment etc to not perform. Can't wait to see her perform. 

Eurovision spokesman is talking like many officials, bosses etc in life now talk - which is hideous. All covering themselves with contract talk etc and as dry and emotionless as possible.  Not professional at all. 

I have to admit i'm so confused about this entire eurovision thing. They said they have no signed contract then she can't perform. But she's set to be in Israel on Wednesday. Why does it have to be so complicated? lol

1 hour ago, FreeMySoul said:

Madonna is not going to fly to Israel just to fly back if she wasn't confirmed to perform.

Or she is going because that is her part of the deal confirmed. She was there ready to take the stage. Not her fault if they did not get their own house in order. She pockets her money and leaves. I can see why she may not want to sign the EBU contract. She wants other networks to have rights to HER performance via her, maybe, and she herself to be able to use it without having to pay frigging EBU. I kind of think that is the bone of contention. 

1 hour ago, Kim said:

The whole thing has stunk from the start tbh.

They should be giving a press conference about how happy they are to have secured Madonna (ok, they didn't, it was a rich Israeli who's decided to use the contest as a propaganda tool, but still) ..not saying in public "she hasn't signed and if she doesn't sign she's not going on stage".

It's very very weird

Yes, so unprofessional, emotionless and weird.  Shame too as this should be a major event celebrating Madonna in the press and consequently promoting Eurovision to an even bigger audience.  Her appearing there will give Eurovision more attention than ever and more than just Europe and Australia watching. They should be singing it from the treetops. 

22 minutes ago, juliebean said:

I have to admit i'm so confused about this entire eurovision thing. They said they have no signed contract then she can't perform. But she's set to be in Israel on Wednesday. Why does it have to be so complicated? lol

It seems Madonna and the EBU / ESC organizers are still fighting over the distribution rights.

11 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

It seems Madonna and the EBU / ESC organizers are still fighting over the distribution rights. Both claim full control.

I don't know. Does not make sense. 

Madonna's team would have to be aware that she is performing at an event, not her own concert. Eurovision makes the rules and has control over all performances and how they are distributed. She is a superstar guest and has to abibe by their conditions etc. 

Sad to see how things are starting to look a bit dissappointing at this point.

However, I'm glad that she hasn't confirmed or denied anything regarding this situation yet, because this means that she can avoid any compromise with this problem. Let Israel and Eurovision solve it on their own.

7 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Madonna's team would have to be aware that she is performing at an event, not her own concert. Eurovision makes the rules and has control over all performances and how they are distributed. She is a superstar guest and has to abibe by their conditions etc. 

And EBU decided to address the rumors 5 days before the event... gurl bye, using Madonna's name for some additional promo... let's wait till Wed lol

5dbad5cbcea49eade57b296144eae5a0.gif 

1 minute ago, M_Sinner said:

And EBU decided to address the rumors 5 days before the event... gurl bye, using Madonna's name for some additional promo... let's wait till Wed lol

I am positive she will perform, just addressing the argument/suggestion about tension about the contact not being signed. Have no doubts that she will perform, just finding the promotion of it unprofessional. 

11 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I am positive she will perform, just addressing the argument/suggestion about tension about the contact not being signed. Have no doubts that she will perform, just finding the promotion of it unprofessional. 

It's her performance, they don't pay her fee, but they want to own it and use it.. at least let Madonna  co-own the whole thing. 😉

28 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Probably. Most likely it's just gossip because Madonna and the ESC agreed absolute silence about her performance. 

If she's performing for 12-15 minutes, this will be bigger than Super Bowl. And if that's true, there's no way she will sing only new songs in front of her biggest broadcasted audience ever (200 million viewers + the people will only turn on the TV and YouTube to watch her).

She needs a performance like the Superbowl and I'm pretty sure they're rehearsing for that. Performing new songs are really good, but she needs also an iconic hit for her catalogue. 

Needless to say, I think all this drama about her not signing a contract is to build up expectations about her performance. She's doing it and show will rock it.