"Crave" thread

1 hour ago, headonfire said:

I still can hear that Madonna uniqueness in Crave,  and that folktronica, experimental, world music vibe so unique to M, which I think will be a staple of Madame X.

Agree 100%. This is very M.

26 minutes ago, humanracin said:

I love Crave but it's not hit material.

I doubt she cares about hit singles anymore, as long as the album is critically well received... that's all we can hope for these days.

None of the 3 songs released scream hit single to me, they are all great though and the production so far is very interesting and creative.

I'm not finding this album to be that different to Rebel Heart sonically yet which is a surprise. (except for the much better mixing)

I really need to hear the rest of the Mirwais songs... stat!

That is more or less extactly my opinion about the song(s) as well. Crave definitely has a vibe that I like, the production is very interesting and, which is the point that I'm trying to make, neither generic nor commercial at all. Thus however, it's not really suitable as a classic hit single but yes, I guess that is not what she is caring about or aiming at and I am completely fine with that.

3 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

Because it will be officially released TOMORROW. 

Ok, cool! Thank you.

Just seemed like everyone else had heard it xx

But indeed, I have a hard time imagining that this could be the 2nd single and thus the song she will be performing at Eurovision.

Take away the trap beat and the production and it’s as anthemic as Jolene by Dolly Parton. Sucks for those who aren’t enjoying any of this. The song is gorgeous...sweet, soulful, melancholy, heartfelt. That bridge is so beautiful. But there has always been a fan faction that was resistant to Madonna’s r n b and hip hop affinities. Not sure why. 🤐

Just now, Herfaceremains said:

Take away the trap beat and the production and it’s as anthemic as Jolene by Dolly Parton. Sucks for those who aren’t enjoying any of this. The song is gorgeous...sweet, soulful, melancholy, heartfelt. That bridge is so beautiful. But there has always been a fan faction that was resistant to Madonna’s r n b and hip hop affinities. Not sure why. 🤐

I think the resistance on the part of some fans isn't necessarily related to genre, moreso related to wanting Madonna to stand out from the crowd musically. I think it would be the same frustrations if Madonna all of a sudden started working with Max Martin/Dr. Luke in the early 2010's or Stargate in the late 2000s...those guys were never hip hop producers, but they were mass music factories that gave dozens of artists hits that all sounded the same. There were similar concernes in 2008 and 2015 with HC and RH, and I think it's fine to want Madonna to stand out. Let's be real, we like her to be the consumate innovator because that's what a lot of us grew up with. She's mostly done a good job though even with the mainstream guys. Some of the stuff on Rebel Heart was excruciatingly cheesy but so far there's no sign that she's repeating those mistakes again. I like Crave, I just don't care much for the generic instrumental, wish it emphasized the guitar more. But if she's aiming for a hit in the USA, this isn't a bad place to start (I still don't think she'll get one because the music industry establishment is super  good at resisting her, even at her best).

8 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

Love your review! I would like to copy the bolded section and post it as a comment once the song is on YouTube. Hope you are OK with that. But, if you want to post it yourself, just let me know. I have several ready to go.

41 minutes ago, FlyOnTheWall said:

Do we know anything about the video?

Yes. It’s a massive disco stomper. A big disco thumper. A major disco bop. 

3 minutes ago, CalinB said:

Love your review! I would like to copy the bolded section and post it as a comment once the song is on YouTube. Hope you are OK with that. But, if you want to post it yourself, just let me know. I have several ready to go.

With pleasure. Be my guest!

17 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

Yes especially since she started out doing pretty much just R&B music!

6 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

I think the resistance on the part of some fans isn't necessarily related to genre, moreso related to wanting Madonna to stand out from the crowd musically. I think it would be the same frustrations if Madonna all of a sudden started working with Max Martin/Dr. Luke in the early 2010's or Stargate in the late 2000s...those guys were never hip hop producers, but they were mass music factories that gave dozens of artists hits that all sounded the same. There were similar concernes in 2008 and 2015 with HC and RH, and I think it's fine to want Madonna to stand out. Let's be real, we like her to be the consumate innovator because that's what a lot of us grew up with. She's mostly done a good job though even with the mainstream guys. Some of the stuff on Rebel Heart was excruciatingly cheesy but so far there's no sign that she's repeating those mistakes again. I like Crave, I just don't care much for the generic instrumental, wish it emphasized the guitar more. But if she's aiming for a hit in the USA, this isn't a bad place to start (I still don't think she'll get one because the music industry establishment is super  good at resisting her, even at her best).

I understand the sentiment, but disagree with it. Mostly because much of Madonna’s early discography wasn’t innovative at all. Anyone who was listening to r n b in the late 70s to mid-80s could find a multitude of songs that preceded Madonna’s output and that sound quite similar. Reggie Lucas and Nile Rogers were tastemakers long before they worked with Madonna. And yet it’s with those songs that she made her name. And I loved them all. That’s why I don’t care if there’s a trap beat. 

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks

I can't get over how she sounds somewhat different especially in that first verse.  I love that about the song.  I think she did this purposely in hopes to appeal to pop radio.  I don't know? 

So I'm confused? Is there supposed to be a video for this?   And it just doesn't seem like a song I would expect to hear on Eurovision.  If she's planning to release a video within the next week, and treat this as a "single", I can't see her performing something totally different than what's already been released like "Medellin" or this song? 

7 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

I think the resistance on the part of some fans isn't necessarily related to genre, moreso related to wanting Madonna to stand out from the crowd musically. I think it would be the same frustrations if Madonna all of a sudden started working with Max Martin/Dr. Luke in the early 2010's or Stargate in the late 2000s...those guys were never hip hop producers, but they were mass music factories that gave dozens of artists hits that all sounded the same.

There were similar concernes in 2008 and 2015 with HC and RH, and I think it's fine to want Madonna to stand out. Let's be real, we like her to be the consumate innovator because that's what a lot of us grew up with. She's mostly done a good job though even with the mainstream guys. Some of the stuff on Rebel Heart was excruciatingly cheesy but so far there's no sign that she's repeating those mistakes again. I like Crave, I just don't care much for the generic instrumental, wish it emphasized the guitar more. But if she's aiming for a hit in the USA, this isn't a bad place to start (I still don't think she'll get one because the music industry establishment is super  good at resisting her, even at her best).

Exactyl!  That's why many fans consider Confessions the latest ultimate Madonna.     ....... ROF .... MUSIC ... AL .. COTF .. and then something happened.

2 minutes ago, madmex said:

Exactyl!  That's why many fans consider Confessions the latest ultimate Madonna.     ....... ROF .... MUSIC ... AL .. COTF .. and then something happened.

What happened is that she happens to like trying different things! Maybe the time has come to deal with this, don’t you think?

Just now, Herfaceremains said:

I understand the sentiment, but disagree with it. Mostly because much of Madonna’s early discography wasn’t innovative at all. Anyone who was listening to r n b in the late 70s to mid-80s could find a multitude of songs that preceded Madonna’s output and that sound quite similar. Reggie Lucas and Nile Rogers were tastemakers long before they worked with Madonna. And yet it’s with those songs that she made her name. And I loved them all. That’s why I don’t care if there’s a trap beat. 

Yeah well she made a name for herself throughout the 90s and early 2000s for evolving into not only a pop legend but also having incredible vision with her music. Erotica, Bedtime Stories, and Ray of Light are incredibly different pieces of work and dabbled in multiple genres and are still credited today as career highlights. That was a sign of her creative confidence at the time. I also don’t buy this idea that her early stuff was generic. If that were true, no one would remember it and she wouldn’t be Madonna. Hard Candy was not generic (1-2 of the songs sucked, sure, and that was cuz there was too little Madonna and too much Pharrell or Timbaland) Who knows  the consensus reason why general public had a milquetoast reaction to RH & MDNA but she wasn’t doing herself too many favors by letting that gaggle of producers take the reigns on those projects. You can hear it with your own ears on some songs. Doesn’t mean they were total failures, but I don’t know if they’re near the top of any Madonna fans favorite albums. 

Madonna is at her best when she’s very confident and self assured. You can hear it on Erotica just as much as you can hear it on Music or Hard Candy. None of those albums sound remotely similar and yet the quality is top notch.

4 minutes ago, madmex said:

but she's also a pop artist so i don't get the criticism of her working with popular producers? did it produce nothing but rubbish? absolutely not.

thing is, lets say she went completely experimental and left field, the vast majority would be complaining that it's not commercial enough to get a hit, she goes too commercial (MDNA) and she's desperate to be relevant and lost her touch.

some of you just cannot accept that this is what she wants to do, if it's not for you then that's totally okay and valid but i don't get the endless complaints about it. Don't get me wrong, it's fine not to like something and critique but when it becomes a thesis statement for how "something happened" to her artistic prowess, no, maybe you and madonna just drifted apart? it happens when an artist stays true to themselves and doesn't rest on the laurels that got them millions of fans.

people want madonna to do what THEY think madonna ought to be doing and we've all been around the fan block long enough to know that's a losing game so embrace it or move on.

So I have been listening to this song for an hour now on repeat and I love it. The best track of Madame X so far for me.

10 minutes ago, Jairo said:

It's like the UEFA European Championship, but for gays.

I know. But I don't like football neither Eurovision. 😂😂😂

I don't meant this negatively but I think sometimes we over exaggerate how innovative she is a CREATOR if music. She is an innovator in the sense she makes something familiar unique. Yes there are exceptions. ROL. (In my opinion). Some tracks on music, 

I think she just missed the mark in that respect with HC BUT still a strong album. 

Making this relevent to crave, it's current but it's so very Madonna. And at this stage in her career. Just being Madonna and experimenting with the current is an amazing thing. Like she said in vogue no one is doing what she does. But they kind of are, only she does it better. 

I hope it makes sense I've had wine. 

It’s 00:05 on the 10th May- I need that song!! Been nursing my last glass of red so I can put my headphones in and get lost in its richness! I’ve had the 15 second preview on for the last two hours, I need to know what the rest sounds like....😂😂😂

Jesting aside, do we know when it’s available for download?! I’m thirsty!

**edit**

It’s here! Wow!! This is what I waited for!!! 🥰

Edited by ABB2015