The "Future" thread

23 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Just because she performs "Future" tonight doesn't mean it's a single. "I Rise" got released and it's not a single. It's the other way around too. There are many singles she has never performed live.

I Rise didn't get a live performance at a major event thought.

Usually when she turns up at award shows/events she showcases a new single as a way of promoting it just like she did with GMAYL at Super Bowl....

...the fact she appears to be performing an album track from a brand new album she is now promoting is uncharted territory for Madonna. Normally she would use this huge exposure to promote a single. 

But what constitutes a "single" for Madonna these days anyway? With no physical, no radio adds and a late video, it doesn't really matter. Crave's been out over a week and is a single? Coulda fooled me.

Everything’s a single I guess ...

she should have released some nice 12 » coloured vinyls of these singles for the fans. All four have lovely images as single covers which I would have liked to see on a big vinyl single... oh well instead let’s have green album vinyl  

1 minute ago, Kim said:

But what constitutes a "single" for Madonna these days anyway? With no physical, no radio adds and a late video, it doesn't really matter. Crave's been out over a week and is a single? Coulda fooled me.

I agree. 

I was shocked that a video wasn't already ready to go for Crave as she spent January-March this year shooting visuals.

We already know there is a music video waiting from February in the theatre with the queens so why spend time now shooting a new video when there is one already to go? Bizarre.

Why take Future to a massive event when it's Crave that has been pushed to radio....

Im loving this era thus far but the single choices/roll out is a bit strange.

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
6 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I Rise didn't get a live performance at a major event thought.

Usually when she turns up at award shows/events she showcases a new single as a way of promoting it just like she did with GMAYL at Super Bowl....

...the fact she appears to be performing an album track from a brand new album she is now promoting is uncharted territory for Madonna. Normally she would use this huge exposure to promote a single. 

You're thinking about it too much.  What used to be isn't the way things are being done now.  I understand what you're saying that on award/talk shows she is known to perform one of her singles, but I'm not sure the real focus here is to  maximize a "single".   She is no longer a singles artist who can gain big hits.  I think it's all about building exposure for her new album and tour. I look at this like she's doing a promo tour (which in a sense that what it is when an artist goes around place to place to offer samples of their album).  It's not the first time she's sung non-singles on promotional outings.  Or are you still waiting for "Runaway Lover" to be a single?  LOL!  😉

6 minutes ago, Amelia said:

You're thinking about it too much.  What used to be isn't the way things are being done now.  I understand what you're saying that on award/talk shows she is known to perform one of her singles, but I'm not sure the real focus here is to  maximize a "single".   She is no longer a singles artist who can gain big hits.  I think it's all about building exposure for her new album and tour. I look at this like she's doing a promo tour (which in a sense that what it is when an artist goes around place to place to offer samples of their album).  It's not the first time she's sung non-singles on promotional outings.  Or are you still waiting for "Runaway Lover" to be a single?  LOL!  😉

I understand she is taking on a new strategy and I massively support that.

I just think unless Future is pushed after tonight's massive exposure with a video and a serving to radio and perhaps some additional promo from M herself with the song, then it is a bit of a missed opportunity for a potential hit that would stick in Europe.

That said I don't think Future is the song that will be best remembered from Madame X, that's just my opinion but I do agree with what your saying it's all about getting herself out there and performing her new music.

And it will be incredible to see her back where she belongs topping the bill at a huge event. 

3 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

Everything’s a single I guess ...

she should have released some nice 12 » coloured vinyls of these singles for the fans. All four have lovely images as single covers which I would have liked to see on a big vinyl single... oh well instead let’s have green album vinyl  

She coulda done a Kelly Mango and put out a limited physical single for Medellin, (if really smart, stuck a b side (physical only) on it) Lets say 3k 12" vinyl. Released Medellin on a Friday, had the remixes (by real producers not Offhisface) out the same day. Voila, a Top 40, maybe even 20 single = Madonna's back, 60 year old record breaker blah blah. Instead it limps into the Top 90 for a week then nosedives. 

2 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I just think unless Future is pushed after tonight's massive exposure with a video and a serving to radio and perhaps some additional promo from M herself with the song, then it is a bit of a missed opportunity for a potential hit that would stick in Europe.

That said I don't think Future is the song that will be best remembered from Madame X, that's just my opinion but I do agree with what your saying it's all about getting herself out there and performing her new music.

And it will be incredible to see her back where she belongs topping the bill at a huge event. 

If only the album release wasn't still so far away...

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
3 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Honestly, that ship has sailed.  We have to move on with the fact, she's not going get radio support and hit songs anymore.  I feel she's just taking whatever opportunity to expose different tracks in different ways than just the "normal" way of releasing a single.  At this point, I don't see any of her songs released treated like a typical single release, especially in the way she used to release them.  I see her just offering samples of her album until the album drops.  A lot of artists young and old are doing the same anymore.  Not every song they release before the album is treated as a single.

She's on a roll yet some fans can't stop whining about the disco banger and a video with drag queens. At this point I kinda wish she'd just can it and make it a bonus feature on the tour DVD or something. Or adds a rapper to it and some horns 🤣

1 minute ago, Amelia said:

Honestly, that ship has sailed.  We have to move on with the fact, she's not going get radio support and hit songs anymore.  I feel she's just taking whatever opportunity to expose different tracks in different ways than just the "normal" way of releasing a single.  At this point, I don't see any of her songs released treated like a typical single release, especially in the way she used to release them.  I see her just offering samples of her album until the album drops.  A lot of artists young and old are doing the same anymore.  Not every song they release before the album is treated as a single.

You make an excellent point and I do agree. 

That said I do believe after tonight's massive exposur to Future the song itself will enjoy a huge boost in downloads/streams just like the old days of singles.

But you have summed it up really well, I've tried to stay optimistic commercially but I don't think radio will play anything from Madame X but I did think Europe was a possibility but I think your right.

I will stop thinking about the charts and take a fresh outlook as you say samples of the album bringing it to the people.

5 minutes ago, Confessit said:

The long and short of it, and what some aren't getting, is is FUTURE the song to unveil Madame X to 200 million possible record buyers? The answer remains to be seen.

2 minutes ago, Kim said:

The long and short of it, and what some aren't getting, is is FUTURE the song to unveil Madame X to 200 million possible record buyers? The answer remains to be seen.

One would think she would choose Madame X's best song to take to 200 million viewers....I highly doubt Future is the best the new album has to offer. 

But I am yet to see it/hear it played live. 

24 minutes ago, Kim said:

I would consider tracks with an official video as singles. In the streaming era the way singles are being rolled out has changed. Many artists release a song as a pre-release track and then after some time go back at it with an official video and a push as a single.

Just now, Confessit said:

One would think she would choose Madame X's best song to take to 200 million viewers....I highly doubt Future is the best the new album has to offer. 

But I am yet to see it/hear it played live. 

I think Future could work very well for Eurovision. I would prefer it before LAP and not after. We don't know the full story for its selection, perhaps she preferred Medellin but Maluma was not available.

Just now, DreamTheater said:

I would consider tracks with an official video as singles. In the streaming era the way singles are being rolled out has changed. Many artists release a song as a pre-release track and then after some time go back at it with an official video and a push as a single.

I know, so if Eurovision has a good effect on Future and it gets a few sales and some decent streaming, then poor old official "single" Crave is gonna feel a bit left out!

I think Future could work very well for Eurovision. I would prefer it before LAP and not after. We don't know the full story for its selection, perhaps she preferred Medellin but Maluma was not available.

I hope so and it might do it looks like Madonna has an epic performance of it ready for the world.

Perosnally I think she chose it because it has a feature on it and it will increase streams/attention a la her releasing Madeline as the albums lead.

But of course I have no idea I think we will get it before LAP.....the costume she is wearing looks black and the steel warrior costume I think is underneath so I'd imagine she will take the black off to unveil that and finish with LAP.

1 hour ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Just because she performs "Future" tonight doesn't mean it's a single.

That's funny, because the Eurovision organizers are sure she will present her "brand-new single". 😂

https://eurovision.tv/story/madonna-performs-new-single-future-with-quavo-eurovision-2019

3 minutes ago, Kim said:

I know, so if Eurovision has a good effect on Future and it gets a few sales and some decent streaming, then poor old official "single" Crave is gonna feel a bit left out!

In Europe yes, in the U.S. I believe they will be going with Crave.

In Europe yes, in the U.S. I believe they will be going with Crave.

Well they're officially going with Crave everywhere, so should Future have been Europe's official second single?

Crave has been officially rolled out as the 2nd single from the album and the one that has been served to radio. 

Future doesn't get a look in apart from being showcased tonight lavishly.

Since in the photos we have from the scenario is written "WAKE UP" and during the song she says "Woken".

I think FUTURE is the video with the Drag Queens.

3 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Crave has been officially rolled out as the 2nd single from the album and the one that has been served to radio. 

So maybe CRAVE should have been performed tonight (with Swae Lee on screens if not available)? :think:

1 minute ago, Kim said:

So maybe CRAVE should have been performed tonight (with Swae Lee on screens if not available)? :think:

Maybe now they're doing the "2 different singles" thing.

Crave for US, Future for Europe, Latin America, etc.

They really should use tonight as an opportunity to premiere the "Crave" video, but I guess that's not really how Eurovision works. 

1 minute ago, Kim said:

That would make sense but I guess that's now being viewed as old skool thinking.

I don't think Future is rocking as a song, but I really hope after tonight it gets a surge of streams/sales I do think it has potential to go into many European iTunes top 5s after tonight the performance looks epic. 

I think the performance tonight and the aftermath discussion on social media etc will result in Future being the most heard track from Madame X thus far.....far more so than the offcial singles thus far from it.

1 minute ago, elijah said:

Future sounds like an odd choice for Europe. Was reggae ever big here?

Culture club had reggae infused hits in Europe but that was in the 80s.