Rate: I Rise

Rate: I Rise  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Rate: I Rise

Guest eroticerotic

I have to say, Medellin grew on me. It's fun, it's sassy, It's upbeat, Mirwais production is slick, and it's actually a pretty thoughtful storyline despite the simple lyrics,  and it immediately makes me happy, so, classic Madonna.

I knew I would get past the initial things that irked me because overall I loved it. I had the same reaction to Frozen (I became a fan after Bedtime Stories, so this was my first time experiencing a reinvention; I was caught off guard), Music (it struck me as jarringly simplistic before I realized it was an ironic wink at her first hits with a slick production and a modern take), Die Another Day (some part of REALLY irked me LOL), American Life (I wasn't able to relate to it and I didn't understand the emphasis on lose weight/change name until I started to pursue music myself; also, nowadays with the internet I think everyone can relate) and Hung Up (same reaction as Music; I felt it was simple; but then I was able to put it into context over time).  All these songs, are now in my top ten most listened to.

I Rise is okay. She has MUCH stronger songs with the same theme, Live To Tell, Why's It So Hard, You'll See, come to mind, and which I'd highly likely listen to if in such a mood. I don't really get why it's been promoted as anti gun, and as a gay anthem; I like for things to organically become anthems. It's a minimalistic survival song, not specific to those things.

1 hour ago, redhot said:

People have actually rated it bad or horrible????WTF. 

😱😤

13 hours ago, JWAD said:

I think it's great, I really think this would be great as a proper single

I think the same.

Its not a long track like Medellin, with a  rapid progression, being easy and suitable for radio.

But this makes me feel hopeful because Crave it’s probably better than I Rise...

What a great era!

Im okay with the song (first loved it, but now Im a little bored by it). The one ruining it is starrah with the verses and how M sings them. Still pissed at M going after fans saying they're "racist" for not liking Starrah's work. S is awful and to blame for a lot of shit music on the radio

the contrast with Medellin is big.. that song takes its time and is very minimal.. this "I Rise" is a little too quick, a little basic, a little literal.

However, if she would have sung the verses differently and given the song some room, it could've been really good

The song is GOOD. Have I been listening to it obsessively like I did with Medellin? nah. Am I really enjoying it when I DO listen to it? hell yeah!

13 hours ago, redhot said:

People have actually rated it bad or horrible????WTF. 

I voted bad because I didn't like it at all. Listened to it once and have no desire to listen to it again. But I will once the album is released. Maybe it's better in the context of the album.

1 hour ago, rocknrolla said:

There seems to be a divide.   Do those who prefer Medellin prefer like a prayer, those who prefer Ray of light prefer I rise

I prefer LAP & I Rise. Sorry to bust your theory. :lol:

it’s good but not great for me. I really like the production at the end and i do like the way M sings the verses, but the chorus lacks something and overall it doesn’t have the wow factor that Medellín does. 

7 hours ago, LVX said:

I prefer LAP & I Rise. Sorry to bust your theory. :lol:

I love LAP, Ray of light and I Rise, but not so much Medellin. It's OK, but nothing special to me. 

9 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

There seems to be a divide.   Do those who prefer Medellin prefer like a prayer, those who prefer Ray of light prefer I rise

I prefer LAP and ROL. 

Medellin Is sort of ok.

I rise Is a letdown for me

9 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I voted bad because I didn't like it at all. Listened to it once and have no desire to listen to it again. But I will once the album is released. Maybe it's better in the context of the album.

Hopefully it will grow on you.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:21 PM, rocknrolla said:

No, I prefer ROL the album, but out of the two I prefer Medellin. Medellin sounds more ROL, especially her singing on the verses. Sorry, but I Rise has a basic melody. I could have written it.

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

The background vocals and harmonies that start on the second chorus are gorgeous.

Yes exactly.

I love everything about this song.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been such a grower for me. Now I like to listen to it and Live to Tell together, they're like a power couple on my Madame X playlist. 😁 The song tells a story that I can very much relate to. For me, the song is all about the line "freedom's what you choose to do with what's been done to you". I really live to tell THAT. At the moment I give it a 9 (with a bullet). 

I understand not everyone will like I Rise, but it is maybe important to remember that this is an album track, and the closing one. I love this track and I am sure that in the context of the album it is perfect.