STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

This industry is incredibly ageist. It's amazing to me that we can make so much progress in terms of racism, and homophobia. But misogyny and ageism is still at the very top.

If Taylor Swift were 60 right now, she'd never get the views and streaming numbers she's getting.

23 minutes ago, Dany Targaryen said:

Wow. Watching Taylor Swift getting tens of million of views in just a few hours makes me a little depressed. Yikes!

We have to be realistic here.......Madonna is never going to be able to compete with the "new" crop of stars in terms of streaming numbers. This really shouldn't be unexpected. To me, this is why the releasing on a Wed vs. Fri isn't that big of a deal when it comes to M. Yes, doing so probably would've guaranteed her an entry in the lower half of Hot 100.....which is a great thing but does it REALLY matter that much at the end of the day? BIM was the only RH single to make the chart and most people here shit on that song still. 

It sounds cheesy but for 10+ yrs some of Madonna's most diehard fans have been dismissing her yet many have come around to Medellin and the whole Madame X "reinvention". That in itself is a huge achievement. I have no doubt the album is going to be one of her best and I do think those that are fans of Experimentaldonna will absolutely love it. I do think though that we're about to gain some big perspective when it comes to her possibilities of commercial success going forward. The past few albums, it's always been blamed on bad single choices, lack of focus or passion with the music, bad "featurings", terrible promo, her "rushing" things etc. This time though (minus the releasing on a Wed thing) all boxes for success have been checked. Yes she's Madonna, the most successful female artist of all time, yes she's a legend, yes she's THE BEST......none of those things change the fact though that she's a 60 yr old woman playing a 20 yr old pop star game. In terms of commercial success, things just aren't going to come easy. It's not right but that's the nature of the beast at this point unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

We have to be realistic here.......Madonna is never going to be able to compete with the "new" crop of stars in terms of streaming numbers. This really shouldn't be unexpected. To me, this is why the releasing on a Wed vs. Fri isn't that big of a deal when it comes to M. Yes, doing so probably would've guaranteed her an entry in the lower half of Hot 100.....which is a great thing but does it REALLY matter that much at the end of the day? BIM was the only RH single to make the chart and most people here shit on that song still. 

It sounds cheesy but for 10+ yrs some of Madonna's most diehard fans have been dismissing her yet many have come around to Medellin and the whole Madame X "reinvention". That in itself is a huge achievement. I have no doubt the album is going to be one of her best and I do think those that are fans of Experimentaldonna will absolutely love it. I do think though that we're about to gain some big perspective when it comes to her possibilities of commercial success going forward. The past few albums, it's always been blamed on bad single choices, lack of focus or passion with the music, bad "featurings", terrible promo, her "rushing" things etc. This time though (minus the releasing on a Wed thing) all boxes for success have been checked. Yes she's Madonna, the most successful female artist of all time, yes she's a legend, yes she's THE BEST......none of those things change the fact though that she's a 60 yr old woman playing a 20 yr old pop star game. In terms of commercial success, things just aren't going to come easy. It's not right but that's the nature of the beast at this point unfortunately.

Right on. 

7 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Spot fucking on. 💋💋💋

16 minutes ago, peppermint said:

How can this bland glass of soya milk that is that Swift thing can generate so much interest!? She has the charisma of a fucking frozen fish stick!! I don't get the fascination with her at all!!, back to streaming Meddelin!!

Ts whole career has been catering to preteens and white immature gays. She has never taken real risks or evolved in ways that some of her peers have. Thats why she gets so much interest. Madonna by year 6 was releasing LAP. I mean even Britney and Christina by their 3rd years were taking risks. Taylor is obsessed with being "on top" and as such will continue to play it safe. Of course her fans will ignore this fact and say shes evolved sooo much. 

I am just glad we all know the truth and as popular as Taylor is she will never be the most sucessful female singe of all time. 

2 minutes ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

Ts whole career has been catering to preteens and white immature gays. She has never taken real risks or evolved in ways that some of her peers have. Thats why she gets so much interest. Madonna by year 6 was releasing LAP. I mean even Britney and Christina by their 3rd years were taking risks. Taylor is obsessed with being "on top" and as such will continue to play it safe. Of course her fans will ignore this fact and say shes evolved sooo much. 

I am just glad we all know the truth and as popular as Taylor is she will never be the most sucessful female singe of all time. 

Just curious how race has anything to do with your reply? 🙄 

17 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Hope you all don't mind me chiming in here. I've been reading many posts here. This post puts it so well. And as for the radio success...things sure have changed. But radio is so obsolete now along with the charts. What matters is views and streams these days. I'm once again proud to be a Madonna fan after her last two albums...this is her come back for me. I can't wait to hear more!

Edited by NorthernLad

I have to say the radio thing really baffles me. They say it’s inteneded for a younger audience but the only people I know that still listen to radio are older! 

I feel like radio is so irrelevant these days I’m surprised it’s still factored in to what makes a song a “hit.”

To me, the song is already a hit because her YouTube videos are booming and people are commmenting on how much they love the video and song etc. I’m so happy for her. 

4 minutes ago, mrsmith said:

I don’t think it’s relevant and makes you sound 👎🏻 But ok, moving on.

Its relevant because i was saying her fanbase. 20 year old white gays is Taylors fanbase.  Theres nothing wrong with saying it. They dont know anything about or care about real legends like George Michael, Madonna, Prince etc. As such they put Taylor on a pedestal. 

but yes moving on.

Taylor Swift is harmless enough for god sake.

Her music isn't my cup of tea but she has her following and success. A lot of artists use every trick in the book, or rather their teams do to get more streams/sales. I'm not saying that's right but that's the current landscape of popular music.

Just now, Andgon144 said:

soo are we thinking medellin reached its peak already? or is there still a chance for it to grow?

It's only just started !!! Remember the BB awards will be another boost but it's already at double figures now on YouTube it's climbing wonderfully.

2 hours ago, Dany Targaryen said:

Yes it's true. They only count one view. They do this because of the advertisers.

The metric really should be renamed, since it's not really a view count, but a user count. If you have VPN you can watch the video multiple times.

If you have doubts on whether this is true, you can test it yourself. Make a YT account only you know, post a video, and try to watch it repeatedly. Even if you use multiple accounts to view it. Only one view will be counted. I've done this myself one time. It's true, unfortunately.

it's one view per day, correct? if so, i think that's too strict, but "views" makes more sense than "users." the vast majority of viewers aren't going to watch something more than once a day.

Welllll Wendy Weighed in she's complimentary in some ways....and then shady in other ways......either way it's WIN-WIN for QUEEN MADONNA

The MADONNA bit starts at 7:05

USA:

99 on iTunes chart 

30 on pop iTunes chart

Kinda sucks but at least I love the song/video. I don’t know how any of this works. Everyone has different stories, how many streams count, how many sales count, worldwide stats vs. USA and how any of that affects charts. I honestly can’t keep up. 

6 minutes ago, MLVC82 said:

Welllll Wendy Weighed in she's complimentary in some ways....and then shady in other ways......either way it's WIN-WIN for QUEEN MADONNA

The MADONNA bit starts at 7:05

I can’t stand her. She always plays both sides on EVERYTHING. I can’t with her. Always the same bullshit. 

It ultimately makes M look bad on everything from her image to her persona for the era. Her audience is shit! Fuck then and fuck her! 

18 minutes ago, bardo said:

it's one view per day, correct? if so, i think that's too strict, but "views" makes more sense than "users." the vast majority of viewers aren't going to watch something more than once a day.

No, that's for other streaming services. YT is just one permanent view per user IP.

It sucks, I know.

3 minutes ago, Dany Targaryen said:

No, that's for other streaming services. YT is just one permanent view per user IP.

It sucks, I know.

What about Spotify/Apple music? So it’s pointless to play a video on a loop in a playlist with a few songs even? 

2 hours ago, Dany Targaryen said:

Yes it's true. They only count one view. They do this because of the advertisers.

The metric really should be renamed, since it's not really a view count, but a user count. If you have VPN you can watch the video multiple times.

If you have doubts on whether this is true, you can test it yourself. Make a YT account only you know, post a video, and try to watch it repeatedly. Even if you use multiple accounts to view it. Only one view will be counted. I've done this myself one time. It's true, unfortunately.

Will you please stop spreading this FALSE information. 

And yes, I do have a youtube account (with over 6 mil views) and can see the hourly (even down to the minute in fact) metrics for every video including my own views being counted -  especially before I even make a video public, the only views reflected in the count are mine and It does NOT stick at 1.

As I said to you in another thread, youtube does NOT reveal what algorithm it uses, but for chart purposes, 10 views per day per user are counted in the UK and it's probably a similar number in other countries

1 minute ago, Mensch said:

What about Spotify/Apple music? So it’s pointless to play a video on a loop in a playlist with a few songs even? 

Do not listen to him.

51 minutes ago, Confessit said:

It's only just started !!! Remember the BB awards will be another boost but it's already at double figures now on YouTube it's climbing wonderfully.

ok! 

Also whats going on with radio, has the song been sent out?

or are radios just choosing not play it?

and thanks for being for veryy informative! 

It seems, it’s not really picking up amongst the majority of music listeners...unfortunately. It gets a TINY boost and then drops steadily. My only hope for this song is word of mouth and I’m praying she does more performances than just the BMA’s ...hopefully next week she’ll do Ellen, Fallon, late night..and MALUMA joins her and we have a good handful of live performances. That would give it a bigger boost, cause single events are proving to not help too much. Sadly...