Billboard Awards backstage interview

I love it when a true fan interviews her and asks those kind of questions she is so at ease with it 

My heart almost exploded when he rattled off "I'll Remember", "This Used To Be My Playground" and "Rescue Me"... THEN SHE QUOTED LYRICS FROM "RESCUE ME" ON THE FLY and said it was dope.

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

As much as we have to put the blame on the radio: I believe the fault is as much with Madonna too. It has been said already BUT I ll say it again: she (or her team) has been terrible at picking singles since 2008. Prior to that, at the time of Confessions, she was also NOT played on the radio, but Hung Up was such a massive song that it managed to get to N7 against all odds... And from HC onwards it has been the constant trend: she has chosen the wrong songs as singles. It seems like with WB (when they cared) they managed to convince her to pick the obvious stand out tracks to present her work as best as they can, cause I feel that Madonna as the artist that has created the song, probably looses perspective whats the best among the bunch, probably feels strongly connected to a song which isn't the best one. In short: I think we would have looked at a different path had she released TBGO, Devil, I m Addicted (instead of GMAYL), BKiller, Love Spent, Devil Pray, Hold Tight and Joan Of Arc - and promoted them with great videos. Now imagine I m Addicted being performed on Superbowl the way she perform it on MDNA tour. That would have been a N1 hit WITHOUT a doubt in my mind.

I will agree that there are some songs that would've made for BETTER choices as singles but a lot of the singles she's released had hit potential and would've been at the very least minor hits in another time. A lot of the songs you list (most in fact) are FAR superior to the singles she released, IA is my favorite song on MDNA but I don't think it would've been a hit single. In fact, I think only TBGO, DWRY and maybe HT have hit potential out of those listed.....when I say "hit potential" that is ZERO reflection on the quality of the song itself btw. I just can't buy that between GI2M, MA, Celebration, Revolver, GGW, TUTR, LFL, Ghosttown, BIM and Medellin that there's not at LEAST one top 40 song there, I don't care how bad one feels those songs are.....they're still head and shoulders above most of the shit that placed on radio so even if someone finds them all to be shit, shouldn't they still garner SOME play then? There's something more to it. I will always say (as Diplo did) that if Ghosttown had been done by a younger artist, it would've been huge. At the very least a top ten hit. 

3 hours ago, danorbit said:

And it totally makes sense the costume she was wearing for the performance at the MET!

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, as do the lyrics.

"People tell me to shut my mouth, 

that I might get burned!"

9 hours ago, Sky Fits Heaven said:

Madonna's gonna rehearse Rescue Me for the tour and one week before it starts she will drop it from the setlist and add Candy Shop lol 😅.

She'll do a medley.

Rescue Me from this Candy Shop Inferno! 😂

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I hate radio so much.....I wish it would just DIE finally....HOW in this day and age is it still even remotely relevant?? They shouldn't have such power to make a hit as they used to.

THIS to the millionth power.

2 hours ago, elijah said:

As much as we have to put the blame on the radio: I believe the fault is as much with Madonna too. It has been said already BUT I ll say it again: she (or her team) has been terrible at picking singles since 2008. Prior to that, at the time of Confessions, she was also NOT played on the radio, but Hung Up was such a massive song that it managed to get to N7 against all odds... And from HC onwards it has been the constant trend: she has chosen the wrong songs as singles. It seems like with WB (when they cared) they managed to convince her to pick the obvious stand out tracks to present her work as best as they can, cause I feel that Madonna as the artist that has created the song, probably looses perspective whats the best among the bunch, probably feels strongly connected to a song which isn't the best one. In short: I think we would have looked at a different path had she released TBGO, Devil, I m Addicted (instead of GMAYL), BKiller, Love Spent, Devil Pray, Hold Tight and Joan Of Arc - and promoted them with great videos. Now imagine I m Addicted being performed on Superbowl the way she perform it on MDNA tour. That would have been a N1 hit WITHOUT a doubt in my mind.

Yes agree, BUT in 2005 streaming was not around, sales still dominated, particularly CD singles, they were still around, people were forced to iTunes to buy singles also, I stand by the perfect storm PLUS the MAJOR factor is WARNERS, literally overnight her singles career DIED, that is not a coincidence, HER BIGGEST EVER MISTAKE, I blame Guy and his 360 touring bullshit, she sells out arenas regardless that's why I never understood the attraction, traded record success for touring success, Madonna is just as famous, just as talented, just as loved, just as hated but combine everything else I mentioned with the fact she got old and BANG we have the result, that said I think this era is much more known and feels more commercial than Rebel Heart, she is everywhere in the media BUT without a big label like Warners and radio behind her at 60 it AINT happening I'm afraid, her singles now are VANITY projects to support the album and tour.

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I will agree that there are some songs that would've made for BETTER choices as singles but a lot of the singles she's released had hit potential and would've been at the very least minor hits in another time. A lot of the songs you list (most in fact) are FAR superior to the singles she released, IA is my favorite song on MDNA but I don't think it would've been a hit single. In fact, I think only TBGO, DWRY and maybe HT have hit potential out of those listed.....when I say "hit potential" that is ZERO reflection on the quality of the song itself btw. I just can't buy that between GI2M, MA, Celebration, Revolver, GGW, TUTR, LFL, Ghosttown, BIM and Medellin that there's not at LEAST one top 40 song there, I don't care how bad one feels those songs are.....they're still head and shoulders above most of the shit that placed on radio so even if someone finds them all to be shit, shouldn't they still garner SOME play then? There's something more to it. I will always say (as Diplo did) that if Ghosttown had been done by a younger artist, it would've been huge. At the very least a top ten hit. 

THIS.

To say it's the quality of the singles/music...nope, not buying it considering the cesspool of utter SHITE that has ruled the charts for nearly the past decade. To think there isn't a decent sized hit in that list of solidly produced pop songs @Kurt420 laid out (in both 'potential' and 'actual') just boggles the fucking mind (regardless of personal like/dislike). And that aspect isn't even unique to Madonna, as quite a few young artists have put out some great work that should be 10 times bigger, and they've got a lot more traditional industry support than M probably does at the moment.

I'll never get over the fact that she hates I'LL REMEMBER cos it's one of her best songs

When she talked about Rescue me she started saying something, something like "oh that one I actually..." which makes me think she wanted to say she considered it for the Rebel Heart tour (it was a rumor back then since she quoted in an Instagram post) 

4 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

THIS.  At least someone gets it.

Of course most of us know how much Madonna has dominated the Billboard charts...but most of us are referencing the more recent years.

Let's not forget how Billboard as a publication has damn near propagandized some pop artists, particularly female, over the last decade or so vs. how they cover others, including M.
Or the constant changing of the rules (often right after, or before, M releases something).

4 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Absolutely! Def can't let Billboard off the hook completely. Those rule changes are awfully convenient.....waiting for one to happen out of the blue in about a month or so :lol:. Totally hear you on the propaganda as well.....it's become crystal clear who they do and don't get checks from.

This is what came to my mind immediately. She could have had more in the past (POG comes to mind, for example), and in the present their rules seem arbitrary and odd. (Allowing every song on an album to chart simply because the kiddies are playing them all. No kidding! We used to play all the songs on the album when we bought it at the record store, too! :old: Didn’t make them all singles!) So I think that was her point about making it happen. No, Keith can’t do it on his own, but all the people in his position (at Billboard specifically and in the media in general) DO have a lot of power. It’s just not being wielded in favor of Madonna enough — or, hasn’t been the last decade. And perhaps now it is too late to turn that tide (at least in terms of radio success, I mean).

3 hours ago, Mattress said:

My heart almost exploded when he rattled off "I'll Remember", "This Used To Be My Playground" and "Rescue Me"... THEN SHE QUOTED LYRICS FROM "RESCUE ME" ON THE FLY and said it was dope.

I think she may have considered it at some point, She started to say "Actually I've..." before saying "I'll consider it". Remember she posted lyrics of it on Instagram, so... Let's hope! 😁

Oh with so much going on I had missed this GREAT little interview !!! 

She didn't know TUTBMP was number one!!!! And I'll remember number two! And Rescue Me!!!!!! Omg!!!!!

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

Rescue Me HAS TO BE a tour opener. Since it was released I'm expecting it!!!!!

That would be epic and totally fits in with her current theme

41 minutes ago, aphrodisiac said:

Is the reporter this guy in 2009 because they sound exactly the same? 

No.  Jim Cantiello of MTV is not Keith Caulfield from Billboard.

7 hours ago, Napoléon said:

i-010762-portrait-of-a-lady-edp-100ml-1-

It’s not a cheap perfume. In Australia it retails for $500 for 100ml. Its actually very nice too although my favourite Frederic Malle perfume/cologne is Vetiver Extraordinaire. 

Yes, the prices in Europe are also very high. I have to buy a new parfum, how is Vetiver Extraordinaire? Is it too classic?

7 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

there's a problem, and one problem only. H.

Spoiler

(age)

3 hours ago, Andra said:

"You're my queen"

"Well prove it!"

:queenbitch:

Funnydonna.

“They’re very laid back dreamy songs and they don’t usually go in my like (makes rawr sounds)” 

She is so cute. :bow:

10 hours ago, Napoléon said:

i-010762-portrait-of-a-lady-edp-100ml-1-

It’s not a cheap perfume. In Australia it retails for $500 for 100ml. Its actually very nice too although my favourite Frederic Malle perfume/cologne is Vetiver Extraordinaire. 

I prefer Carnal Flower.  I actually expected her to wear CF given her affinity for tuberose scents.   

On 5/3/2019 at 3:23 AM, Kurt420 said:

I've had issues with her single choices over the last few years but I agree there have been some standout singles that deserved to at least be top 10 and it's a travesty that they weren't. Give It 2 Me and Miles Away were both really good radio-friendly songs. It makes so sense that they were ignored. Same with Living For Love and Ghosttown.

21 hours ago, systemvalues said:

Yes, the prices in Europe are also very high. I have to buy a new parfum, how is Vetiver Extraordinaire? Is it too classic?

It’s a woody fragrance which I prefer. Try this site for review / description. 

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Frederic-Malle/Vetiver-Extraordinaire-4774.html

On 5/3/2019 at 4:03 AM, CzarnaWisnia said:

In all fairness, if she thought a half-spanish song was going to chart very high on the US top 100, she's delusional. I think she just did what she felt like doing.

Despacito made no.1 though so its not just about the language

Just now, dollhouse said:

Despacito made no.1 though so its not just about the language

Yes. That song broke through language barriers. I'm not personally a fan of the song but it's like what Madonna has said, that music can reach people on a universal level even if you don't understand the words. You can still feel it.