"I Rise" thread

I don’t understand how more people aren’t wowed by the second chorus when she responds to herself with the throatier “I Rise.”  Such great production.

Also the finale is epic and gives me echoes of Mother and Father and Easy Ride.

Sorry if my analyses of the song becomes annoying.  I tend to be one of the wordier posters, but I like to dissect her songs so be prepared.  I really analyzed Messiah during the Rebel Heart era :laugh:

On 5/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, boy skeffington said:

"WE CALL BS!" (bs is bullshit if you don't speak English)

The inclusion of this iconic Emma Gonzalez warrior call is so perfect. It's adds a layer of effect to the song. 

This is one of her best songs. 

In a statement, Madonna says she wrote “I Rise” “as a way of giving a voice to all marginalized people who feel they don’t have the opportunity to speak their mind. This year is the 50th anniversary of Pride and I hope this song encourages all individuals to be who they are, to speak their minds and to love themselves.”

Oh. Is that what she is saying? Someone — probably the wonderful Robster — had graciously transcribed the lyrics and I thought the quote ended with “we call. we act.” And I didn’t quite understand it.

I get that it sets an emotional tone. I almost feel it limits the scope with mentioning the government, etc. Some may think the track is *only* about the gun violence issue, then (the VERY LITERAL people who are out there, as we well know) ... but the PR for the song has been good about making the theme more universal, so that’s good.

If you listen closely, the “BS” is echoed throughout the track in spots. (Again, up until this moment, I thought it was something else she was saying...)

Oh! And I think Madonna is singing “No game you can play with me I ain’t WON” which is a very “Give It 2 Me” echo, and fits well with the theme of “I Rise.” (I was confused earlier when I read the lyrics, thinking that line ended with “... I ain’t ONE” — and I was like “one what?” But now I get it! It’s also helpful to understand that she is using “ain’t” in a way that means “haven’t”)

I know I sound ridiculous, but I hope it helps some fans whose first language is not English. I am a native speaker and clearly I have challenges! LOL! So I am just trying to help.

Otherwise the track is beautiful. I enjoy the end with all of the layers. I have always loved the album closers. I feel odd having listened to it already, but I have no will power when it comes to M. Listening to Medellín and I Rise on a loop now.

10 minutes ago, Shane said:

I don’t understand how more people aren’t wowed by the second chorus when she responds to herself with the throatier “I Rise.”  Such great production.

Sorry if my analyses of the song becomes annoying.  I tend to be one of the wordier posters, but I like to dissect her songs so be prepared.  I really analyzed Messiah during the Rebel Heart era :laugh:

Yes, love the deeper vocals added to the chorus! So great!

Also love longer posts and deep analysis, so keep it coming, please! :biggrin:

6 minutes ago, peter said:

Yes, love the deeper vocals added to the chorus! So great!

Also love longer posts and deep analysis, so keep it coming, please! :biggrin:

😍

2 hours ago, Shedoeshair said:

zkri20.jpg

:inlove:

Freedom's what you choose to do with what's been done to you
No one can hurt you now unless you want them to (Unless you want)
No one can hurt you now unless you love 'em too (B.S.) Unless you love 'em too

(I rise) I rise, I RISE! :inlove:

1 hour ago, peter said:

I have always loved the album closers.

She has certainly come a long long way since Love Makes the World Go Round.

2 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

She has certainly come a long long way since Love Makes the World Go Round.

Haha! I stand corrected. Some of the earlier albums don’t have the same “finale” factor. 

1 minute ago, peter said:

Haha! I stand corrected. Some of the earlier albums don’t have the same “finale” factor. 

I'd say the first one of this line of closers was Secret Garden tbh.

Just now, Je5u5 said:

I'd say the first one of this line of closers was Secret Garden tbh.

Agreed ... “Act of Contrition” was like the foretaste of what was to come — but it is short and kind of a riff on the title cut. Like a reprise, but remixed.

”Vogue” is the closer on I’m Breathless — and I love that song more than I can ever say. But it almost doesn’t feel like an “album closer” in the senses we’re discussing. And (not to bring up that old debate, but ...) there’s the studio album vs. soundtrack issue.

So I was thinking the same — Secret Garden feels like the beginning of that tradition.

2 hours ago, peter said:

Oh! And I think Madonna is singing “No game you can play with me I ain’t WON” which is a very “Give It 2 Me” echo, and fits well with the theme of “I Rise.” (I was confused earlier when I read the lyrics, thinking that line ended with “... I ain’t ONE” — and I was like “one what?” But now I get it! It’s also helpful to understand that she is using “ain’t” in a way that means “haven’t”)

'.No game that you play with me, I ain't one' is correct.

Meaning.... I ain't a game

7 minutes ago, peter said:

Agreed ... “Act of Contrition” was like the foretaste of what was to come — but it is short and kind of a riff on the title cut. Like a reprise, but remixed.

”Vogue” is the closer on I’m Breathless — and I love that song more than I can ever say. But it almost doesn’t feel like an “album closer” in the senses we’re discussing. And (not to bring up that old debate, but ...) there’s the studio album vs. soundtrack issue.

So I was thinking the same — Secret Garden feels like the beginning of that tradition.

Agree with all this. I’d probably like to imagine Act of Contrition was the start of the epic conceptual closers but you’re right. It began with Secret Garden

1 minute ago, Mensch said:

Agree with all this. I’d probably like to imagine Act of Contrition was the start of the epic conceptual closers but you’re right. It began with Secret Garden

You can count it if you want, honey! I still love Act of Contrition. (I forget how late it was before it was explained to me what it meant — about her reservation not being in the computer. The idea that she’s at the Pearly Gates. Sometimes I feel very slow!!)

But ... I mean looking at this list:

Secret Garden

Take a Bow

Mer Girl

Gone

Easy Ride

Like It or Not

Voices

Falling Free

Wash All Over Me / Rebel Heart

and now I Rise.

That’s a pretty amazing batch of songs.

2 minutes ago, peter said:

You can count it if you want, honey! I still love Act of Contrition. (I forget how late it was before it was explained to me what it meant — about her reservation not being in the computer. The idea that she’s at the Pearly Gates. Sometimes I feel very slow!!)

But ... I mean looking at this list:

Secret Garden

Take a Bow

Mer Girl

Gone

Easy Ride

Like It or Not

Voices

Falling Free

Wash All Over Me / Rebel Heart

and now I Rise.

That’s a pretty amazing batch of songs.

Going to make this a playlist right away!! 

4 minutes ago, YannBouch said:

Going to make this a playlist right away!! 

👍 @Martin B. said he did this several pages back, too — I’m sure that suggestion was influencing my thoughts. Don’t wanna take credit. But enjoy the playlist! (It’ll feel like “the end” with each track! Haha! 😊 )

2 hours ago, Shane said:

No , always bring it ! We need more of that and much much less ridiculous dissecting of tiny little details that happen to not be to some poster's liking 

16 minutes ago, V.K said:

Nice. Nothing negative or even positive, just clean explanation on what the article is about 😂👍🏼 Wish there was more of that and less drama surrounding any/every article written about M but I guess that would be pretty boring too. 

7 minutes ago, Mensch said:

Nice. Nothing negative or even positive, just clean explanation on what the article is about 😂👍🏼 Wish there was more of that and less drama surrounding any/every article written about M but I guess that would be pretty boring too. 

It 's the way it should be for every artist / pop star . Funny how actual journalism appears as such a rare relief ,these days 😪

3 hours ago, Shane said:

Yes, I love that part as well. To me those layered vocals are a classic M trademark!

It's also funny how everyone references a different song -  IMO the chorus reminds me of the ethereal production on ROL (the album).

I have to stay I find her singing style / intonation in the verses a bit difficult to get used to, but the excellent production makes it all up. I admit I was (and still am lol) a bit worried about the tracks that were written with Starrah as the other stuff she's put out sounded way too disposable for my taste. But if it's of similar quality as I Rise, there won't be much to worry about :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, smeowly said:

did emma gonzalez comment on the song and the use of her speech in it yet?

Her last instagram post was april 19th and no story at the moment