"I Rise" thread

8 hours ago, karbatal said:

That it became a timeless album full of innovative sounds? 

Yes. Thank you. I can’t get enough of American Life. Such an important artistic album from her catalogue.

2 hours ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

Has anyone found the I Rise remixes or even know the titles? I keep seeing people say "they are out there" but havent seen anything.

Maybe they refer to Medellin? There are not official remixes for I Rise. 

2 hours ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

Has anyone found the I Rise remixes or even know the titles? I keep seeing people say "they are out there" but havent seen anything.

I'm afraid we can't post the links, but here's the lists:

I Rise (Jasmin's Anthem)
I Rise (Stormby Club Mix)
I Rise (Stormby Mix Edit) - a gay coma lol
I Rise (Rising Sun Remix)
I Rise (Ray Isaac Remix)

19 minutes ago, M_Sinner said:

I'm afraid we can't post the links, but here's the lists:

I Rise (Jasmin's Anthem)
I Rise (Stormby Club Mix)
I Rise (Stormby Mix Edit) - a gay coma lol
I Rise (Rising Sun Remix)
I Rise (Ray Isaac Remix)

Thanks. I just wanted to know the names.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:09 PM, Runaway Lover said:

Us kids don't know what we're talking about, that we're too young to understand how the government works. 
We call B.S.!

The intro contains a sample of an impactful speech by Emma González at the March for Our Lives protest. Emma is a survivor from the horrific shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Parkland, Florida, that occurred on February 14, 2018

It’s just slightly ironic because obviously M is on the side of the Democrats here if she is using Emma Gonzalez. The argument being that members of the government needs to stop taking money from the NRA and finally make stricter gun laws. But the right wing crazy republicans who actually want to have MORE guns everywhere have one main argument...”guns don’t kill people. People kill people.”

The same argument M used for a completely different reason seven years ago lol. 

That’s how fast time changes one phrase. 

On 5/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, Herfaceremains said:

Exactly. Sadly, I may have corrected that part, but managed to maintain the “too” instead of “to”. Now corrected. Lord have mercy. This is gonna be a long week!

Regarding the meaning @FeTuoni I totally see why you could understand the lyric that way. That was indeed the case for the sado-masochism of Justify My Love. However, it makes more sense in the context of a self-empowerment anthem that we can only be hurt if we allow someone to hurt us. Otherwise the message is anti-love. That doesn’t really fit in my opinion. 

I LOVE this song and all the layering but I hate that line. 

Like, tell a lady who is being beaten to the edge of her life every day that she is only being hurt because she is choosing to allow her husband to. 

The line is clearly about not caring what people think of you, and thus not letting them hurt you if you don’t let them. It’s  just not made 100% clear.

we as M fans know this. But right wing crazies say sentences like that to victim blame women who get raped, etc. 

4 minutes ago, impressiveinstinct said:

apparently there are 2 versions of audio video of I Rise on youtube, kinda strange...

this second version has considerably less views, only 50K

The video is not available for me 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the lyrics to this song sound much more poignant and touching given the current media furore. 

I'm going through it yeah I know you see the tragic in it

Just hold on to the little bit of magic in it,

Died a thousand times, managed to survive. 

4 hours ago, Disintegration said:

Ah, the lyrics to this song sound much more poignant and touching given the current media furore. 

I'm going through it yeah I know you see the tragic in it

Just hold on to the little bit of magic in it,

Died a thousand times, managed to survive. 

Yeah. I thought the same. We all have to rise when there's a bad moment. 

1 hour ago, Andra said:

Having this song on repeat in these moments of DESPAIR right now it actually really helps.

It's really touching. It was one of my favourites but now it's my favourite of the bunch. 

@Kurt420: I broke my pledge. I listened to "I Rise" just now... :scared:

It's a solid 8.5/10 for me. Which put it in the "Very Good" group in my rating system. It's uplifting, the melody is memorable, it's my second favorite after "Future". So:

1. "Future" 9/10 

2. "I Rise" 8.5/10

3. "Medellín" 8.5/10

4. "Crave" 8/10

5 hours ago, Andra said:

Having this song on repeat in these moments of DESPAIR right now it actually really helps.

This song deserves more love. Her voice is a major instrument in it. Everything, the guitar the strings the percussions the vocals, they blend smoothly into a unified whole that is just so pleasant to listen to. 

4 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

This song deserves more love. Her voice is a major instrument in it. Everything, the guitar the strings the percussions the vocals, they blend smoothly into a unified whole that is just so pleasant to listen to. 

I really like it, I just wish it didn't remind me so much of HC (my least fav album)

39 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

@Kurt420: I broke my pledge. I listened to "I Rise" just now... :scared:

It's a solid 8.5/10 for me. Which put it in the "Very Good" group in my rating system. It's uplifting, the melody is memorable, it's my second favorite after "Future". So:

1. "Future" 9/10 

2. "I Rise" 8.5/10

3. "Medellín" 8.5/10

4. "Crave" 8/10

AHH!! You know what though, it's ok, it's been a rough few days so something new and fresh was needed!! I know your love for Medellin so to see it equal that is a good thing. A nice little pallet cleanser for you I hope! lol I adore I Rise too even if it's last in my ranking (something's gotta be). It's a solid 7.5 for me at this point. I'm guessing this is going to sound even more amazing in the context of the album, as the closing song. LION is like that for me. I love it but I love it so much more when I've listened to COADF all the way through.

13 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

AHH!! You know what though, it's ok, it's been a rough few days so something new and fresh was needed!! I know your love for Medellin so to see it equal that is a good thing. A nice little pallet cleanser for you I hope! lol I adore I Rise too even if it's last in my ranking (something's gotta be). It's a solid 7.5 for me at this point. I'm guessing this is going to sound even more amazing in the context of the album, as the closing song. LION is like that for me. I love it but I love it so much more when I've listened to COADF all the way through.

We are in a mourning period now so ermmm yeah. 🙏

"Medellín" gets a 10 in the video and the Billboard performance. THAT MUSIC VIDEO, I cannot praise it enough...it totally works, 100%.