Medellin is Madonna’s best song.

I’ve seen so many hate comments on the internet about this. People calling the song a “disappointment” or a desperate attempt to get a hit by featuring Maluma. First off all let’s get ONE thing straight. Madonna needs NO ONE to smash. She is the biggest female artist of all time. Maluma needs Madonna, he is a complete nonfactor outside South America. And he is beyond honored to work with the Queen as evident by the video of him crying over the collab 

Now as far as the song goes it’s truly a career highlight. Never has Madonna sounded more confident and powerful. The way she skillfully, playfully and seductively  vocalizes back and forth with Maluma is perhaps the most euphoric listening experience I’ve had. “But Madonna needs to release electro pop for the gayzz!!” . If you think that you aren’t a real Madonna fan. This is Madonna at her artistic peak.  She has always shined the most with experimental and Latino sounds.. la Isla Bonita .. anyone??   You guys have no idea how amazing this song truly is. It’s structure and production is unlike anything currently popular. She could have easily jumped on the urban trend and scored a hit but she took a risk and it will PAY OFF!! I have no doubt that Medellin will be remembered for decades to come. It might not seem that way right now; but trust me Madonna knows what she’s doing. There is a reason why she’s lasted longer than any artist -ever!.  She’s in it to win it. She’s playing the long-game. The REVOLUTION is coming.

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks

I don't agree. She has far better songs in her catalog.  Don't get me wrong, I love Medellin, but it's hardly her "best song".  I also don't think it will be remembered for decades to come. It actually fits in with a lot of the music we hear today, so it proves she still is able to make music that works for the masses if she didn't have the ageists dismissing her.

What I do agree with is that she did create something really special with this song.  Her and Maluma really have a great chemistry together with this song.  You can tell she's totally in a creative mood with this new album.   I'm certain Medellin isn't even the best song from the album.  I predict as new songs are released or when the album is released, there will be pages filled here at this forum arguing what songs are better as (lead) singles.

Don’t kid yourself. It’s an ok song. 

I’m only speaking for myself but I doubt I will come back to Medellín very often once the album is out. It’s certainly a nice song for the summer. 

I love love love Medellin. It's my personal fave currently but I wouldn't go as far as saying it her very best. Her catalog is so large and she has so many songs that could qualify as her "best". I would say her "best" is her most favored and timeless classics by the masses like Like A Prayer, Vogue, and Holiday. I don't see Medellin becoming that big. But you never know? Great post though @MistressMadge . I love everything you wrote and I do agree how it's a career highlight and especially in a time of ageism and many writing her off. 

3 hours ago, Lolo said:

Don’t kid yourself. It’s an ok song. 

I’m only speaking for myself but I doubt I will come back to Medellín very often once the album is out. It’s certainly a nice song for the summer. 

Agree

On the first listen I thought Medellín was just okay, it was nice, but after about six listens, I now think it's an amazing song with a great melody that keeps growing on me with each listen. There is quite a lot going on in the track, and you hear something new with each listen.. It takes time to grow on you.  I find it's like that with a lot of Madonna's songs, though, and they usually end up being her best songs, imo. It was the same with American Life initially, and that was a song that took longer to grow on me, but I now think it's a great track. I just want to add that I love her vocals on Medellín.

I agree about her voice. It is very soothing and flirtatious in Medellín. I love the song mostly for the verses and then lyrics and everything else. It’s my favorite Madonna song as far as collaborations go! It’s better than any song she ever did with another artist! 

4 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

I agree about her voice. It is very soothing and flirtatious in Medellín. I love the song mostly for the verses and then lyrics and everything else. It’s my favorite Madonna song as far as collaborations go! It’s better than any song she ever did with another artist! 

I totally agree. Best collaboration ever!!

I feel it's a A- to B+ range of song but it feels refreshing to hear a Latin flavoured single in such a long time... to relight the fire and interest in the Latin markets for a long time... I feel both artist helped each other into their appeal markets which duets are meant for such. No doubt Madonna will bring Maluma into an international market which every other artist would like that opportunity given the chance. In this day and age, it would almost be an instant recognition and liked by international madonna fans where more opportunities could be opened then... 

Of courses fans will argue whether it's her best or not but we'll leave it to each individual for judgement. 

Ive gone from really liking it to LOVING it.  I dont like making lists but we will see years from now when the dust has settled. The video is brilliant and the song gets more and more great with time.  Good sign!👍

love Medellin!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Awww there is nothing like starting one's day with Madonna, Maluma, all of Madonna's dancers, and Medellin. It's my fave Madonna song and video...and I'm starting to think it's here to stick for good. I just want more and more. I can't get enough!!👸🏼👸🏼💃💃🕺🏼✨✨💫❤️❤️❤️👒

Love it to bits 😍

She continues dares to be different.

And theres no need to put down something else on her back catalogue. It is very difficult to decide what is "best". She has such amazing variety.

Definitely her best lead since hung up and yes it’s much better than Music . Never liked that song . I would class it in one of her top 15 songs , such a grower . Shame the rest of the world is not getting the opportunity to hear it or look beyond their hate 

Edited by RyanAnth4

8 minutes ago, RyanAnth4 said:

Definitely her best lead since hung up and yes it’s much better than Music . Never liked that song . I would class it in one of her top 15 songs , such a grower . Shame the rest of the world is not getting the opportunity to hear it or look beyond their hate 

:rotfl:

13 hours ago, the-queen said:

Slow down papi.

One, two, one two.

Cha Cha Cha.

These lyrics have become memorable within the fanbase already.

OMG, yes.... I was out last might with friends and you can hear people around us out of the blue in conversation going 1,2 cha cha cha!!! That line will stick... and, it's a catchy song. I love it (can not get enough of it), and my friends do...

Lol of course it's not her best song. She could release a masterpiece to end them all and it would still be impossible for that to instantly become her best song.

Frozen, Live to Tell, LAP, Vogue etc have had time to become cultural milestones and provide a soundtrack to people's lives for years. Time will tell if Medellin has that kind of staying power and how it will actually stack up against her best songs. Realistically, at this point, I would probably rank it somewhere in my top forty Madonna songs of all time.

For now, it is easily her best lead single since Hung Up and best single since Sorry. Coupled with the video, it's a bona fide artistic and critical comeback and seems to serve as an intro to an era in which she is more invested than anything since, well, COADF again. That's more than I dared to dream of anymore. But at this point, it definitely cannot be fairly compared with her iconic classics.

Edited by Foolio

I personally do not like the song at all. If people like it, great. I don't agree with bashing people for simply not liking the song. Saying it's the best song she's ever done is pretty damn ridiculous considering her catalog of music.