"There Are No Rules...If You're A Boy"

I'm not sure if this article belongs in this forum or in the general discussion forum, but I love seeing articles like this pop up. While there will always be a million articles and commentators hating on Madonna, there are just as many who appreciate her true genius and her revolutionary role in society. Her unconventional life is something I truly aspire to. 

https://www.image.ie/life/no-rules-youre-boy-many-hate-madonna-147605?preview=1 

57 minutes ago, tycole6 said:

I'm not sure if this article belongs in this forum or in the general discussion forum, but I love seeing articles like this pop up. While there will always be a million articles and commentators hating on Madonna, there are just as many who appreciate her true genius and her revolutionary role in society. Her unconventional life is something I truly aspire to. 

https://www.image.ie/life/no-rules-youre-boy-many-hate-madonna-147605?preview=1 

Thank you for sharing the link - I think this deserves to be copied and pasted, such a rare occurrence an article like this, needs to be seen:

'There are no rules - if you're a boy': Why do so many hate on Madonna?

As she prepares to release a new album, Madonna has been subjected to the (now usual) litany of abuse online. But why are so many seem determined to direct abuse at the woman who has revolutionised what it means to be a woman in the music industry? She deserves so much better, writes Jennifer McShane

In a time when we're still seeing women struggle for their rights (despite momentous change), we are blessed to have one icon who uses her platform to continue to speak about the revolutionary acts that we still need to see: Madonna. But even saying the performer's name in 2019 polarises the audience - including the female audience. It remains baffling, the negativity that now seems to come along with being a pop star in your sixties. She was always a symbol of rebellion: the underdog; a woman who, through music and her art was intent on changing the status quo for what it meant to be a woman.

In her view, anything was possible with the right attitude and determination - she came to New York with nothing more than a few dollars in her pocket determined to see her ambitions fulfilled - and her lyrics acted as a social commentary for how things should be challenged.

She always sought to empower and unify. To demand the best.

She still does. Over three decades into a career which has seen her become the highest-grossing female touring artist of all time, she still demands the best of everything life has to offer. And this is the problem as many see it; this is why she is vilified. Is it because she's a woman over 60, still relevant in an ageist industry that favours the young (and the males) all of whom demand the same?

"There are no rules - if you're a boy. There are rules if you're a girl"

"If you're a girl, you have to play the game. You're allowed to be pretty and cute and sexy. But don't act too smart. Don't have an opinion that's out of line with the status quo. You are allowed to be objectified by men and dress like a slut, but don't own your sluttiness. Be what men want you to be, but more importantly, be what women feel comfortable with you being around other men. And finally, do not age. Because to age is a sin"

She's right, but as she starts a new promotional campaign on the cusp of a new album, that doesn't stop the critics.

Those who say she's too old, too sexual for her age, too much of anything.

Where is the criticism of Elton John? Of the male members of Fleetwood Mac who tour every single year? Was similar abuse hurled at the late David Bowie?

"I've had the sh**t kicked out of me for my entire career, and a large part of that is because I'm female and also because I refuse to live a conventional life," Madonna said in an interview.  "I've created a very unconventional family. I have lovers who are three decades younger than me. This makes people very uncomfortable. I feel like everything I do makes people feel really uncomfortable," she said.

Limitations for women 

It's too easy to dismiss her as a white, rich pop star living in another reality (and many do), but she knows both sides; she knows she lives a life of privilege while being aware of the lashings of hate that come with that - just as she knows because she's a woman growing older, limitations are placed on her life.

And yet there are many rich, white, powerful men in a similar position who are, by and large, let off the hook. Even with #MeToo.

She knows that she can't be seen as a sexual woman of 60 plus because this is widely considered taboo in modern society. But instead of being lauded by the masses for this empowering attitude, she's punished.

Even down to the fact that after achieving so much, she still lives to create music and some, like her ex-husband Guy Richie, still, ask why.

"My ex-husband, who used to say to me, "But why do you have to do this again? Why do you have to make another record? Why do you have to go on tour? Why do you have to make a movie?" And I'm like, "Why do I have to explain myself?" I feel like that's a very sexist thing to say. Does somebody ask Steven Spielberg why he's still making movies? Hasn't he had enough success? Hasn't he made enough money? Hasn't he made a name for himself? Did somebody go to Pablo Picasso and say, "Okay, you're 80 years old. Haven't you painted enough paintings?" No. I'm so tired of that question. I just don't understand it."

"I'll stop when I run out of ideas. I'll stop when you f**king kill me. How about that?"

Sadly, like many of the greats, perhaps she won't be truly appreciated in modern times until she's no longer here. What a depressing thought that is.

We'll only ever have one Madonna.

And she deserves to be admired and appreciated in the here and now.

Main photograph: @Madonna

I am also glad that it appears to be written by a lady - often criticism against Madonna has stemmed from fellow ladies which is a shame and it shouldn't be that way.

There are LOADS of rules if you're a boy.

I love M but she does do provocative things - thats why I love her - but its no suprise some people lash back. That's what makes her such an interesting artist, to me.

Interesting article but most of the RIDICULOUS bashing she gets isn't from "rich, powerful, white men", but fellow liberals (mostly gays and minorities)

Go on Datalounge, gay website, or Lipstick Alley , "woke" black woman website, and the hatred she gets on there is INSANE

14 minutes ago, Danny Bubbles said:

I love M but she does do provocative things - thats why I love her - but its no suprise some people lash back. That's what makes her such an interesting artist, to me.

Exactly

Women are allowed to be gay and especially bisexual or "fluid" for instance but not men, male homosexuality and especially bisexuality , threaten everybody across the board, even "liberal" bisexual/bicurious women

It's still taboo

20 minutes ago, Samo said:

Interesting article but most of the RIDICULOUS bashing she gets isn't from "rich, powerful, white men", but fellow liberals (mostly gays and minorities)

Go on Datalounge, gay website, or Lipstick Alley , "woke" black woman website, and the hatred she gets on there is INSANE

Isnt that just because they prefer other singers and use the typical « shes white » excuse to drag her? It’s ironic how they’re being so narrow minded in their views simply because of the color of her skin..  i cant help but wonder that if madonna was a black woman she’s be hailed like the god mother of beyonce for being a strong and independent woman.. everything changes.

11 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Isnt that just because they prefer other singers and use the typical « shes white » excuse to drag her? It’s ironic how they’re being so narrow minded in their views simply because of the color of her skin..  i cant help but wonder that if madonna was a black woman she’s be hailed like the god mother of beyonce for being a strong and independent woman.. everything changes.

ABSOLUTELY and these are people who are all "racism is bad", which is OBVIOUSLY true and yet they use her being white to bash her!

You can't make this shit up

Also she's half Italian, for YEARS Italians weren't even considered white, I'm 100% Italian, Grandparents from both sides immigrated from Italy, I know the history of my people.

LOL

This made me cry:

And she deserves to be admired and appreciated in the here and now.”

1 hour ago, Samo said:

Again, as I've said before, not entirely true.

Yes, she gets some lashings from the extreme-left (and that's also because they have media's ear more so at the moment)...but much of the bashing she has taken for 30+ years has also (if not more so) come from conservatives, because she truly embodies everything they fear.

And the internet is more than just DL, gay sites and Lipstick alley...try Fox News, Breitbart, The Drudge Report and the entire black hole that is the conservative side of the web. And don't even get me started on what the conspiracy theorists think of her... These folks make Datalounge seem like child's play.

Enough with the Orwellian revisionist history. The "rich, powerful, white" men have always had it out for her. The self-righteous know-it-alls on the other side have just recently caught up.

1 hour ago, Danny Bubbles said:

She's actually reiterated quite a few times that when she says this, she's speaking predominately of straight men. She even made that clear during the Italian interview during RH promo.

The only part I don’t like is the “you’re going to have to kill me” part....because some fucking crazy loon might actually contemplate it

My ex-husband, who used to say to me, "But why do you have to do this again? Why do you have to make another record? Why do you have to go on tour? Why do you have to make a movie?" And I'm like, "Why do I have to explain myself?" I feel like that's a very sexist thing to say. Does somebody ask Steven Spielberg why he's still making movies? Hasn't he had enough success? Hasn't he made enough money? Hasn't he made a name for himself? Did somebody go to Pablo Picasso and say, "Okay, you're 80 years old. Haven't you painted enough paintings?" No. I'm so tired of that question. I just don't understand it."

Once again Guy Stinkie does emerge as an utter rotten wanker. Yep I agree @VogueMusic rich, powerful, white "men", just like her ex-hubby.

This article is incredible.  

Woman are judged differently from men.  This is NOT a male bashing comment either as some women judge other women harshly too and many men support women fully.   Society though as seen by all genders, age groups and nationalities - it is still different rules for women.   Just watch tv shows when older women are featured.  So many shows ridicule women's age and always promote the idea that young women (  under the age of 30 )  are superior.  Just listen to the dialogue.  It is staggering.   Look at many presenter jobs on tv.  Experienced males are usually hired on news shows and speak with wisdom and intelligence for the topic.  Women though - they usually have to be young, very attractive and don't often give opinions.  This has only changed recently and not by all networks.  Some still have mature men who should be hired as they have knowledge and experience while the women they hire are young and don't say much.   ( Sky news and sports programmes for example ) 

Also age differences.  Australian supermodel Megan Gale has been criticised greatly for having a boyfriend 12 years her junior.  She commented that it was a major issue in every single article written about her and brought up continually with many saying their relationship was wrong.  She then pointed out that in every single article she had read about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie - nobody ever brought up their 12 year age difference as a problem.  In fact, it was never even mentioned. 

Even the talk of "poor Madonna"  having to juggle motherhood with career and criticising her for touring etc,  Well, nobody says anything about male stars touring when they have children.   It is all very ingrained in the way many people look at things. Madonna is incredible.  Breaking down all of those barriers completely and never playing a victim.  She is an amazing role model for everyone in life - male and female.  

Love that this article brought up these things so well.  

Madonna - always has led the way and always will. 

7 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Woman are judged differently from men.  This is NOT a male bashing comment either as some women judge other women harshly too and many men support women fully.   Society though as seen by all genders, age groups and nationalities - it is still different rules for women.   Just watch tv shows when older women are featured.  So many shows ridicule women's age and always promote the idea that young women (  under the age of 30 )  are superior.  Just listen to the dialogue.  It is staggering.   Look at many presenter jobs on tv.  Experienced males are usually hired on news shows and speak with wisdom and intelligence for the topic.  Women though - they usually have to be young, very attractive and don't often give opinions.  This has only changed recently and not by all networks.  Some still have mature men who should be hired as they have knowledge and experience while the women they hire are young and don't say much.   ( Sky news and sports programmes for example ) 

Also age differences.  Australian supermodel Megan Gale has been criticised greatly for having a boyfriend 12 years her junior.  She commented that it was a major issue in every single article written about her and brought up continually with many saying their relationship was wrong.  She then pointed out that in every single article she had read about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie - nobody ever brought up their 12 year age difference as a problem.  In fact, it was never even mentioned. 

Even the talk of "poor Madonna"  having to juggle motherhood with career and criticising her for touring etc,  Well, nobody says anything about male stars touring when they have children.   It is all very ingrained in the way many people look at things. Madonna is incredible.  Breaking down all of those barriers completely and never playing a victim.  She is an amazing role model for everyone in life - male and female.  

:clap:

Well said as usual Jazzy!!

18 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

👍

In addition to her eternal fight against sexism in the cultural industry, I have the greatest admiration for her perpetual fight against ageism. An ageism imposed by our society, but also, unfortunately by the people themselves. I will never understand why people lock themselves into tiny boxes as they age, retreating into conservatism and refusing any novelty. The body ages, but the mind does not lose its desire to discover and be curious. This way that people have to stop being interested in everything that has been produced by the generations who follow them under the lid of the cliché: "It was so much better in our time!" No, it was not, it was only a different time. Unless it requires a particular physical form that only youth provides, we are never too old to do anything. The day you start dictating your actions according to the opinion of the people, it is the day when your true decay begins.

55 minutes ago, pjcowley said:

My ex-husband, who used to say to me, "But why do you have to do this again? Why do you have to make another record? Why do you have to go on tour? Why do you have to make a movie?" And I'm like, "Why do I have to explain myself?" I feel like that's a very sexist thing to say. Does somebody ask Steven Spielberg why he's still making movies? Hasn't he had enough success? Hasn't he made enough money? Hasn't he made a name for himself? Did somebody go to Pablo Picasso and say, "Okay, you're 80 years old. Haven't you painted enough paintings?" No. I'm so tired of that question. I just don't understand it."

Once again Guy Stinkie does emerge as an utter rotten wanker. Yep I agree @VogueMusic rich, powerful, white "men", just like her ex-hubby.

Except I hear WOMEN of all ethnic backgrounds say that all the time about Madonna

My two Aunt's, cousin, girlfriend even etc

"She should just hang it up" 

"She's too old for this" etc

3 hours ago, Lolo said:

This made me cry:

And she deserves to be admired and appreciated in the here and now.”

i was going to say that. Incredible punch line to end this great article.

1 hour ago, Samo said:

Except I hear WOMEN of all ethnic backgrounds say that all the time about Madonna

My two Aunt's, cousin, girlfriend even etc

"She should just hang it up" 

"She's too old for this" etc

Those comments usually come from a place of jealousy and envy, or insecurity. Instead of saying "wow, she's still doing great after so many years", they turn it into a negative and try to bring her down to their level. It's human nature after all!