Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Maluma talks about meeting Madonna & Medellín


Recommended Posts

Quote

do not reuse ever

"I took a sip and had a dream, and I woke up in Medellín.” So sings Madonna in the opening lines to her new single “Medellín,” featuring Colombian reggaetonero Maluma (“Te gusta?” he replies). It’s a call-and-response, sultry vamp of a song, with Madonna describing romantic adventures in the titular city and Maluma acting as her Spanish-speaking tour guide. Before performing it with her for the first time at the BBMAs, the artist Madonna has called “one of the most easygoing, warm, open” she has ever worked with discusses their collaboration.

 

How did you two meet?

I went to MTV’s Video Music Awards to sing “Felices los 4” [in 2018]. Madonna’s manager is friends with Walter [Kolm, Maluma’s manager], and they had arranged for us to meet. We went to her dressing room and Lenny Kravitz was there too, but truth is I’d gone there to meet her. We spoke for a couple of minutes. It was a beautiful moment: I gave her a huge kiss, I took her hand, I thanked her for having made music history, I looked into her eyes and told her I was charmed to meet her. She has a very special look in her eyes. And then I ran out to perform. Afterward, her management team called Walter and told him she wanted to do a song with me.

Medellín is your hometown. Is that the reason for the song’s title?

When we started to talk, she said, “I have a song for you called ‘Medellín,’ ” and I almost had a heart attack. Maybe when she wrote it she had me in mind -- I don’t know. I had the opportunity to write one of the main choruses and all my verses.

What’s it like to be in the studio with Madonna?

She wanted me to perform in the sexiest way possible. I initially wanted to rap more aggressively, but she said, “No. That’s not who you are. You are sensuality. Try to do it as if you had the woman of your dreams in front of you.” She was all about bringing out that romanticism.

How’s her Spanish?

I taught her how to pronounce some words -- I was trying to help her with the accent. She sings the chorus in Spanish with me.

Were you always a Madonna fan?

All my life. She isn’t just an artist; she’s a movement. The truth is I always dreamt of collaborating with her. I think this is something big for our [Latin] industry. I want the whole world to feel pride at this step I’m taking -- not just as an artist, but culturally.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/latin/8508516/maluma-madonna-medellin-bbma-2019-interview

 

So sweet! I'm happy this collab happened as she has the best chemistry with him than I've seen her have with anybody since performing with Lenny Kravitz live!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maluma is an absolute doll!! Love seeing his genuine respect and admiration for the Queen! Unlike others that compliment her, there's ZERO backhanded compliments or subtle shade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much. You can tell he's genuine when he says he is a fan. And I'm so glad he didn't rap in th video. Dancing sensually was perrrrffect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. He says Madonna wanted to work with him. She says Maluma wanted to work with her. 

Either way. They have great chemistry and he is sexy as f...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Interesting. He says Madonna wanted to work with him. She says Maluma wanted to work with her. 

Either way. They have great chemistry and he is sexy as f...

thats what i was thinking. wonder who asked who.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The main guys behind it are once again the managers, as i said before.. they knew each other and basically made sure they met. Maluma, just like anitta, is classic oseary at work.. remember he also called a lot of dj’s and producers without m’s knowledge for mdna and rh

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s confusing who called who, Madonna has a different story on her apple music interview.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Interesting. He says Madonna wanted to work with him. She says Maluma wanted to work with her. 

Either way. They have great chemistry and he is sexy as f...

No matter what, we know that Madonna and Mirwais wrote the first demo with Maluma in mind, and he later added the parts that are sung in Spanish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that in the VMA’s he mentioned to her that he will be up for a song, and maybe she spoke with Mirwais and they started the research she mentioned about Maluma and had the Medellin draft song.

It will be very weird that M would have a draft called Medellin out of nowhere.

Anyway he sounds so sweet and yes he comes across sexy/flirty in the way he sings in the song, he does make me feel things when he says ‘ay que rico’ in English maybe could translate to ‘yeah, give it to me daddy’.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ugly Hecty said:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/latin/8508516/maluma-madonna-medellin-bbma-2019-interview

 

So sweet! I'm happy this collab happened as she has the best chemistry with him than I've seen her have with anybody since performing with Lenny Kravitz live!

 

Indeed!

Super sweet

And love that in that Apple interview Madonna said he's easy going, professional (doesn't leave the studio till the work is done), generous and unassuming

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Maluma is an absolute doll!! Love seeing his genuine respect and admiration for the Queen!

Unlike others that compliment her, there's ZERO backhanded compliments or subtle shade. 

 

Or hiding away when given the opportunity to shine off of her light

Opportunity which they are totally unworthy of obviously

Or worse being complicit with silence when she gets savegely attacked (for not playing the victim or being an ass kisser), never mind owing their careers to her

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Nikki said:

The main guys behind it are once again the managers, as i said before.. they knew each other and basically made sure they met. Maluma, just like anitta, is classic oseary at work.. remember he also called a lot of dj’s and producers without m’s knowledge for mdna and rh

 

Totally

Link to post
Share on other sites

I adore him. He is now in my top 5 celeb Madonna friends who are stans. Kelly Ripa remains President. Then we have Maluma, Gwendolyne Christie. Rita Ora. I don't know who my fifth is between Juliette Lewis and Ariana Grande.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing though , why isn’t the video on his channel. As most of us observed before we even heard of Medellin a lot of his videos have a billion views . Wouldn’t it be a good idea to add it to YouTube channel ( to help everyone obviously , not just Madonna 😊)

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Iconic Fetus said:

I believe that in the VMA’s he mentioned to her that he will be up for a song, and maybe she spoke with Mirwais and they started the research she mentioned about Maluma and had the Medellin draft song.

It will be very weird that M would have a draft called Medellin out of nowhere.

This. I think in a sense both are right about the story. Maluma wants to meet her and tells her he is up for a song in the future. Nothing official comes until Madonna offers him to be in Medellín.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike some people she’s worked with, he understand what an obsolete honor is to work with Madonna. 

 

He always praises her her as this bigger than life legend, which she is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Interesting. He says Madonna wanted to work with him. She says Maluma wanted to work with her. 

Either way. They have great chemistry and he is sexy as f...

 

5 hours ago, elijah said:

thats what i was thinking. wonder who asked who.

The respective managers probably told them the other wants to work with them. A strategic plan hatched by the managers that saw the mutual benefits in cross market pollenation.

Whatever the story, Im glad they collaborated!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s living the dream. A lifelong Madonna fan not just getting to meet her, but also make a song and appear in a music video. He’s also very likely to be in contact with her occasionally now because they’ll always have that connection. Lucky guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:07 AM, Ugly Hecty said:

Were you always a Madonna fan?

All my life. She isn’t just an artist; she’s a movement. The truth is I always dreamt of collaborating with her. I think this is something big for our [Latin] industry. I want the whole world to feel pride at this step I’m taking -- not just as an artist, but culturally.

Ok, now tell the Latin community to stream this song to the max like Despacito! :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 5:12 PM, jacket said:

The respective managers probably told them the other wants to work with them. A strategic plan hatched by the managers that saw the mutual benefits in cross market pollenation.

Whatever the story, Im glad they collaborated!!

I think this is right on the nose. They were totally set up, but it worked out in the end!

I know they have what looks like a totally professional relationship, but he is exactly the kind of man Madonna needs in her life. Young enough to keep up with her energy, not threatened by her massive accomplishments/standing in the world and completely comfortable with the pop star lifestyle. I love his respectful attitude towards her.

"She has a very special look in her eyes." That's all it took, those Madonna eyes, looking at him up close and personal!

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...