Martha Graham gave Madonna the title Madame X

JWAD

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Why are you doubting that because of something Christopher of all people said.  The same whiny Christopher who then whinged about staying in the same building as her later and complaining about how squalid it was.  His book was nothing but a whiny jealous rant full of inaccuracies.   It is a well known fact that Madonna had hardly any money when arriving in New York.  She even stayed at the house of a stranger for a while.   Her life in extreme poverty has been verified over and over.   Madonna's life story before fame is one of the most fascinating and inspirational stories imaginable. 

Definitely. Some people just take for granted that M is a huge global star today, but she was once just a youngster trying to find her place in the world. SHE made it happen. SHE worked hard and overcame any obstacles. She is amazing and doesn’t take anything for granted. 

16 hours ago, imakicola said:

The only part I speculate on is how she says Martha says “I’m going to call you madame X...look different as much as possible from now on every time I see you,” and “I was tied to a tree for months and then turned into a chacha instructor.”

You are conflating two different sources/clips. Her “I decided to call my album Madame X” and the Martha Graham story about the background of the name come from her shoot in that tower in Lisbon. 

The anecdote about the kidnapping and tree is behind the scenes at the Medellín video shoot with Maluma.

One (the latter) is clearly “in character” — the other is Madonna talking to friends about her creative process. 

Zero people should be confused about which part is autobiographical and which one is fiction to create context for an album construct.

When she told Kurt Loder on the set of the Frozen video that she was a mystical creature in the desert, and the embodiment of female angst, did you throw something at the TV screen and yell, “LIAR! You are from Michigan!”?! When she is creating art, there is sometimes a narrative or a story. It doesn’t make her a liar if it isn’t factual to the events of her life. She is presenting a scene or character that shares an emotional truth she wants to express. 

It also doesn’t mean that, because she presents fictional scenarios in a music video, that her stories about her own personal history are not trustworthy or reliable.

4 minutes ago, peter said:

You are conflating two different sources/clips. Her “I decided to call my album Madame X” and the Martha Graham story about the background of the name come from her shoot in that tower in Lisbon. 

The anecdote about the kidnapping and tree is behind the scenes at the Medellín video shoot with Maluma.

One (the latter) is clearly “in character” — the other is Madonna talking to friends about her creative process. 

Zero people should be confused about which part is autobiographical and which one is fiction to create context for an album construct.

When she told Kurt Loder on the set of the Frozen video that she was a mystical creature in the desert, and the embodiment of female angst, did you throw something at the TV screen and yell, “LIAR! You are from Michigan!”?! When she is creating art, there is sometimes a narrative or a story. It doesn’t make her a liar if it isn’t factual to the events of her life. She is presenting a scene or character that shares an emotional truth she wants to express. 

It also doesn’t mean that, because she presents fictional scenarios in a music video, that her stories about her own personal history are not trustworthy or reliable.

Some people will do anything to discredit Madonna's truth and they will just go "lol" about it. Thinking that it's all cute, witty, hey look I am above Madonna. It's sickening. 

15 minutes ago, peter said:

Preach it. right on.

Some people have a disbelief disease or what?

Think before saying your own problem.

U believe in what a drug addict said with jealousy  rather  than her own story telling?? 

Yeah go  figure.

Lol

3 minutes ago, veroelectronica said:

Preach it. right on.

Some people have a disbelief disease or what?

Think before saying your own problem.

U believe in what a drug addict said with jealousy  rather  than her own story telling?? 

Yeah go  figure.

Lol

Now, YOUR "lol" is good. I love :lol: We hate people who disrespect Madonna and that's the coolest spirit ever. 

1 hour ago, peter said:

When she told Kurt Loder on the set of the Frozen video that she was a mystical creature in the desert, and the embodiment of female angst, did you throw something at the TV screen and yell, “LIAR! You are from Michigan!”?! 

I love this sentence so much Peter.  Says it all perfectly and so descriptively.  Also made me laugh and we all need to laugh. 

Wish people would stop over analysing every single thing Madonna says and implying she is wrong or untruthful. Her life story and past is inspirational and seeing fans yet again discrediting her as a person is awful. 

wow! that's all i can say is wow. so it has nothing to do with the Madame x movie.? I love that Martha Graham gave the title to Madonna. I love everything about this era. :inlove:

20 hours ago, imakicola said:

The only part I speculate on is how she says Martha says “I’m going to call you madame X...look different as much as possible from now on every time I see you,” and “I was tied to a tree for months and then turned into a chacha instructor.”

That's not even the fucking quote.

"She said,

'I'm going to give you a new name - Madame X. Every day, you come to school, and I don't recognise you. Every day, you change your identity.You're a mystery to me.'"

"And I said,

'Good.'"

It wasn't a direction. It was a comment that she (Martha) doesn't recognise her each day she comes to school so therefore she is going to call her Madame X. How is that difficult to comprehend?

And who would actually think she's being literal when/if (I haven't even heard this quote) she says "I was tied to a tree for months"?

2 minutes ago, Napoléon said:

That's not even the fucking quote.

"She said,

'I'm going to give you a new name - Madame X. Every day, you come to school, and I don't recognise you. Every day, you change your identity.You're a mystery to me.'"

"And I said,

'Good.'"

It wasn't a direction. It was a comment that she (Martha) doesn't recognise her each day she comes to school so therefore she is going to call her Madame X. How is that difficult to comprehend?

And who would actually think she's being literal when/if (I haven't even heard this quote) she says "I was tied to a tree for months"?

And that piece of trash has the audacity to call me a troll when he is the one who proudly, openly discredits Madonna's truthfulness and acting like it's all cool. Sick human inside out. 

4 hours ago, peter said:

:rotfl:

4 hours ago, peter said:

When she told Kurt Loder on the set of the Frozen video that she was a mystical creature in the desert, and the embodiment of female angst, did you throw something at the TV screen and yell, “LIAR! You are from Michigan!”?!

But isn't she from Michigan ?? At least that's what Christopher said, and if he said it, it can't be a lie. 

:rotfl:

Damn, we live in a time when people are so basic and literal. :doh: I can't believe that this background story is analyzed relentlessly. Absolutely everyone reinterprets his past story through the eyes of who he is now. The memory does not become false. It is only modified by the brain that fills the blanks and by narrative shortcuts which allow to reach the points of this memory.

8 hours ago, peter said:

You’re right. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

And that piece of trash has the audacity to call me a troll when he is the one who proudly, openly discredits Madonna's truthfulness and acting like it's all cool. Sick human inside out. 

Because you keep sending me messages telling me my house should burn down!

1 hour ago, veroelectronica said:

From a legend of the century to  another one. 

This story fascinates me. Two incredibly diciplined women as well  as perfectionists.

Legends only deserve each other.

:clap: CENTURIES! 

On 4/23/2019 at 5:53 PM, Bill said:

The thing that impresses me so much about Madonna is that she knows how amazing she looks when she does these things. She has such a gift for not only music but visual art as well.  It goes all the way back to the first album, she’s always had it.  Her body of work at this point is overwhelming.  I need a supercut of every amazing moment.  On the other hand, maybe my heart couldn’t handle that.  😉🥰

You are 100% on the money Bill. The reason she is such a great performer and fascinating celebrity (aside from being multi talented obviously) is because she knows exactly how she looks when performing and was one of the reasons Camille Barbone first signed her.

Why is that obvious troll still posting here?

Sent me a private message to respond to a question I asked on the forum (defeating the purpose of the forum) and telling me to "get some class" for asking a simple, direct question to back up his/her unfounded claims.

1 minute ago, Simo9jo said:

Why is that obvious troll still posting here?

Sent me a private message to respond to a question I asked on the forum (defeating the purpose of the forum) and telling me to "get some class" for asking a simple, direct question to back up his/her unfounded claims.

Good Lord. Well, Simo9jo, we all know that it's definitely NOT you who desperately needs to "get some class" :lol: I don't think one could get more classless than being stupidly snarky to MADONNA. 

5 hours ago, Martin B. said:

Damn, we live in a time when people are so basic and literal. :doh: I can't believe that this background story is analyzed relentlessly. Absolutely everyone reinterprets his past story through the eyes of who he is now. The memory does not become false. It is only modified by the brain that fills the blanks and by narrative shortcuts which allow to reach the points of this memory.

Seriously, they need to look up the word metaphorical...as though the "being kidnapped and tied to a tree" was in any way literal. So stupid.

Now let's all enjoy the amazing work Madonna put into this project--it's amazing so far--no amount of negative squawking on the internet in comments, forums or reviews is going to change the quality of the actual music/visuals. I know it can be difficult to ignore at times, being that there are so many negative voices against her it would seem, but let's keep focused on what's important...she is still giving us vital and amazing music! That's what it's really all about. Fuck the negative voices and their useless noise.

5 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Good Lord. Well, Simo9jo, we all know that it's definitely NOT you who desperately needs to "get some class" :lol: I don't think one could get more classless than being stupidly snarky to MADONNA. 

"Classy" is hardly something I aspire to, especially an internet troll's idea of whatever "class" is supposed to be. 

3 minutes ago, Simo9jo said:

Seriously, they need to look up the word metaphorical...as though the "being kidnapped and tied to a tree" was in any way literal. So stupid.

Now let's all enjoy the amazing work Madonna put into this project--it's amazing so far--no amount of negative squawking on the internet in comments, forums or reviews is going to change the quality of the actual music/visuals. I know it can be difficult to ignore at times, being that there are so many negative voices against her it would seem, but let's keep focused on what's important...she is still giving us vital and amazing music! That's what it's really all about. Fuck the negative voices and their useless noise.

Yes! Keep the faith!😀

15 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

You are 100% on the money Bill. The reason she is such a great performer and fascinating celebrity (aside from being multi talented obviously) is because she knows exactly how she looks when performing and was one of the reasons Camille Barbone first signed her.

In one of the documentaries on youtube (either Madonna Driven or Naked Ambition I think), it was mentioned the artist liked having her model because she had a way of changing her appearance by changing her facial expressions.