Martha Graham gave Madonna the title Madame X

JWAD

13 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I'm really sorry guys.  I didn't intend to cause trouble here or make anyone upset. I just offered my opinion based on what someone else said.   I never said Madonna and Graham never met.  I just thought maybe the story was a bit embellished.  I'll go now!!  😭😢

Don't feel bad. I'm sorry if I went too hard on you. There's so much rewriting going on about Madonna that maybe I overreacted. Love 💓💓

20 minutes ago, Kim said:

Oh really? Can you imagine Martha being so BROKE that she was about to sell her jewellery for some cash till MADONNA stepped in and wrote her a cheque? Well guess what, it HAPPENED. Just because you can't imagine something in your limited mind, doesn't mean it didn't happen -

The New York Post spoke with Martha Graham’s heir, Ron Protas, who revealed that Madonna once bailed the dance legend out from having to sell pieces of her jewelry collection to stay afloat. Madonna’s rep Liz Rosenberg told Protas at the time, “Give it one day.” The next morning, Madonna’s office called – and Graham soon had a check for $150,000. “It was an extraordinarily generous gesture. Martha cried when she saw the check.”

Reading this makes my eyes well up with tears! I had read it one other time, but it’s just so moving. Madonna has a kind and generous heart, and as much as she enjoys attention when she is performing, she clearly does not want to call attention to her acts of charity. She wants others to be inspired to help people, sure, but she doesn’t want to exploit her own generosity. My two cents anyway. 

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
1 hour ago, systemvalues said:

The first time I saw her in the flesh, right in front of me I had been studying at the Graham School for only a few months. I was 18 and had come to New York to be a professional dancer – to set the world on fire. What I really wanted was to dance in Alvin Ailey’s company. Though I was cut in the first round of auditions, I won a partial scholarship to study at his school, but was told that if I wanted to master Ailey’s technique, I should really study at the Graham School. Of course. I knew who Martha Graham was – in the dance world you had to be brain-dead not to. Needless to say; I arrived there within 24 hours of receiving this information. 

from

https://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-articles/madonna-makes-dance-madonna-harpers-bazaar-may-1994

Can I say, I've never heard this story before.  So I offer my apologies for suggesting Madonna embellished anything here.  But I want to clear up something, I knew the two had met at some point, I just didn't know the backstory.  Again, I'm sorry.  I feel like an idiot for assuming that I didn't know.  It's just I've read in the past Madonna's embellished some of her backstory.  Maybe that's wrong.  But I wasn't trying to "annoy" anyone, nor am I "small minded".   Again, I was totally unaware the two had met when Madonna was a student.  Sorry!!  I feel awful I upsetted so many of you!  😢😢

1 minute ago, Amelia said:

Can I say, I've never heard this story before.  So I offer my apologies for suggesting Madonna embellished anything here.  But I want to clear up something, I knew the two had met at some point, I just didn't know the backstory.  Again, I'm sorry.  I feel like an idiot for assuming that I didn't know.  It's just I've read in the past Madonna's embellished some of her backstory.  Maybe that's wrong.  But I wasn't trying to "annoy" anyone, nor am I "small minded".   Again, I was totally unaware the two had met when Madonna was a student.  Sorry!!  I feel awful I upsetted so many of you!  😢😢

Ok now stop. It's not the last time you're gonna get snapped by people because they disagree with you. You better get used to it or you won't last long around here.

7 minutes ago, LVX said:

No need to apologize. M has “embellished” things before so it’s not completely out of the realms of possibility that she would do it again. But I’m gonna her take her word for it.

6 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Don't feel bad. I'm sorry if I went too hard on you. There's so much rewriting going on about Madonna that maybe I overreacted. Love 💓💓

Thanks guys.  I apologize.  Like mentioned, I didn't realize Madonna and Graham ever met when she was a student. But I know the two had met later.  Nor did I even know later Madonna helped her out financially.  I feel so stupid!  But like @LVX said, M has embellished things before, so I thought the story could have been embellished some.  I never thought Madonna was lying though. 

3 minutes ago, runa said:

Ok now stop. It's not the last time you're gonna get snapped by people because they disagree with you. You better get used to it or you won't last long around here.

Sorry!  So many were going after me at the time, I wrote that.  I'm a huge Madonna fan, but I don't know every back story on her.  😑

31 minutes ago, LVX said:

No need to apologize. M has “embellished” things before so it’s not completely out of the realms of possibility that she would do it again. But I’m gonna her take her word for it.

I agree. There's no need to apologize @Amelia and don't feel bad. I was stunned and fascinated by the story in this video. I'm going to take Madonna at her word for it too as there are many things in her life she hasn't shared publically and this may be one of them. Never the less, I can't wait to learn more on this and I hope there is a behind the scenes thing or a documentary in the works.

22 minutes ago, Amelia said:

Sorry!  So many were going after me at the time, I wrote that.  I'm a huge Madonna fan, but I don't know every back story on her.  😑

Is Amelia a troll? 🙄

35 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I also didn't know M attended Graham's school. I saw in a tv special she was an alumn of Pearl Lang, but I saw Martha and  M pictured together. The thing I did was searching for some references and, despite its many flaws, internet is an extraordinary mean to "know". That's what I did. 🙂

3 minutes ago, piedmoutet said:

su4h.jpg

1ana.jpg

s3h4.jpg

that's what Martha Graham writes in her memoirs about Madonna....sorry in french if someone can tranlate but she was her teacher !!

Nice discovery. yes, she was her student. 🙂

24 minutes ago, piedmoutet said:

It's not a discovery it's a book I bought many years ago...😎

It's a discovery to sustain the theory  that M was  a student of Martha Graham, but of course you know I used that word with that meaning. I don't understand the tone of your sentence, but I don't care. 🙂

I was expecting extreme occident to be a political song but it's shaping up as a biographical one. I'm wondering how the documentary will be released...if there is one. It'll probably be for Netflix but madonna is not allowed to say it since they surprise release the majority of their content 

1 minute ago, samosamosamo said:

I was expecting extreme occident to be a political song but it's shaping up as a biographical one. I'm wondering how the documentary will be released...if there is one. It'll probably be for Netflix but madonna is not allowed to say it since they surprise release the majority of their content 

I hope there is a documentary.  There seems to be a lot of footage we're seeing that could very well be part of a documentary.  I think most believe if there is one, it will be with NETFLIX which makes sense since we know she visited them last  year.  Also, Netflix is extremely popular. 

Just when you thought you knew it all! I had thought Madame X had been created  for this era, but it was actally a moniker given to her by Martha Graham. On a musical note if that snippet is from Extreme Occident.....why is it only a bonus track?🤔 It sounds beautiful.

17 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I hope there is a documentary.  There seems to be a lot of footage we're seeing that could very well be part of a documentary.  I think most believe if there is one, it will be with NETFLIX which makes sense since we know she visited them last  year.  Also, Netflix is extremely popular. 

Expect the unexpected! 😎

2 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Madonna can never win. She did too much, she did too little, she did not do enough, she overdid. 

She embellishes all the time. Does anyone actually believe that an earring that fell would be the reason Behind her 1984 BMA performance? 

And why should we believe what M said here 100%? This is the same series of clips that says she was tied to a tree for months. She is at least partially in character!

Edited by imakicola

26 minutes ago, systemvalues said:

It's a discovery to sustain the theory  that M was  a student of Martha Graham, but of course you know I used that word with that meaning. I don't understand the tone of your sentence, but I don't care. 🙂

ok we agree, my tone was not ironic, I thought  first you thought I found the text on internet.....anyway         plus my english is poor and little used😀

4 minutes ago, imakicola said:

She embellishes all the time. Does anyone actually believe that an earring that fell would be the reason Behind her 1984 BMA performance? 

And why should we believe what M said here 100%? This is the same series of clips that says she was tied to a tree for months. She is at least partially in character!

You mean her shoe falling off at the VMAs? 

5 minutes ago, imakicola said:

It was her shoe at the VMAs dear. Get your embellished story straight.

5 minutes ago, piedmoutet said:

ok we agree, my tone was not ironic, I thought  first you thought I found the text on internet.....anyway         plus my english is poor and little used😀

lol you were wrong,😉 it's ok. Btw  your avatar is gorgeous. W la France et l'Italie 🙂

1 hour ago, piedmoutet said:

su4h.jpg

1ana.jpg

s3h4.jpg

that's what Martha Graham writes in her memoirs about Madonna...
...sorry in french if someone can tranlate but she was her teacher !!

Merci beaucoup @piedmoutet!  😘  Je ne savais pas que les deux hommes se sont rencontrés longtemps avant le début de la carrière de Madonna! Merci de l'avoir mise en contexte pour moi

@Voguerista, thanks for your kind words!  Like you, I'll take Madonna for her word too.  😉

Edited by Amelia aka Neutrocks

9 minutes ago, systemvalues said:

lol you were wrong,😉 it's ok. Btw  your avatar is gorgeous. W la France et l'Italie 🙂

🇮🇹   💟  🇫🇷    ...............     neighbours and friends!!!