Martha Graham gave Madonna the title Madame X

JWAD

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
2 hours ago, FeTuoni said:

I don’t think it’s a made up story because Madonna has the utmost respect for Martha and she wouldn’t use her name in such a “vain” way... and the story is totally Madonna. Madonna has always been Madame X just like Jack Torrance has ALWAYS been the caretaker... ( sorry, I couldn’t resist )

This is my thought, but we must remember that even her humble beginnings were a bit embellished, such as the "coming to NYC with only $35 in her pocket", etc.  

Also, let's think about this realistically. Martha Graham was a very established person long before Madonna became famous.  She was nearly 90 years old at the time, so I can't imagine it really was Martha that came to her door as she claims. 

But it makes for a good story, and who is really going to challenge it, Martha?  She's been gone for several decades now.  I doubt anyone else is going think too hard about it. 

51 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

People like the Xtina and Kylie fans saying she's copying them with the Madame X / X thing 😁  

As if they patented the goddamn X!

2 minutes ago, Amelia said:

This is my thought, but we must remember that even her humble beginnings were a bit embellished, such as the "coming to NYC with only $35 in her pocket", etc.  

Also, let's think about this realistically. Martha Graham was a very established person long before Madonna became famous.  She was nearly 90 years old at the time, so I can't imagine it really was Martha that came to her door as she claims. 

But it makes for a good story, and who is really going to challenge it, Martha?  She's been gone for several decades now.  I doubt anyone else is going think too hard about it. 

nah, Martha would've been in her mid to late 70s in the 70s so it's possible. Surely M herself can't be confusing her with pearl lang

6 minutes ago, Amelia said:

The first time I saw her in the flesh, right in front of me I had been studying at the Graham School for only a few months. I was 18 and had come to New York to be a professional dancer – to set the world on fire. What I really wanted was to dance in Alvin Ailey’s company. Though I was cut in the first round of auditions, I won a partial scholarship to study at his school, but was told that if I wanted to master Ailey’s technique, I should really study at the Graham School. Of course. I knew who Martha Graham was – in the dance world you had to be brain-dead not to. Needless to say; I arrived there within 24 hours of receiving this information. 

from

https://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-articles/madonna-makes-dance-madonna-harpers-bazaar-may-1994

She was 83 in 1977, but still she was very active and very present. Martha would die 14 years later. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that this is exactly what happened, that is the story that M tells in the Instagram video.

4 minutes ago, Amelia said:

So it was just not possible for a nearly 90-year-old legendary CHOREOGRAPHER Martha Graham to have done that? A figure like Martha is not your usual, bed-ridden nobody's grandma.

Goosebumps like others have said the GP do not deserve this artist/woman today.  

I am so ready to hear this album completely and experience it all. It seems all so inspired! 😍

38 minutes ago, Nikki said:

nah, Martha would've been in her mid to late 70s in the 70s so it's possible. Surely M herself can't be confusing her with pearl lang

She was born in 1894.  That would have made her 80 by 1974, so yes she would have been in her late 80's by the time Madonna cross paths with her.  😉

31 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

So it was just not possible for a nearly 90-year-old legendary CHOREOGRAPHER Martha Graham to have done that? A figure like Martha is not your usual, bed-ridden nobody's grandma.

I didn't say it wasn't possible, nor did I say anything about her being an "usual, bed-ridden nobody's grandma".  I was thinking beyond that.  She being a legendary choreographer who at the age of 80 probably didn't go out of her way to visit some unknown student at the time.  We also know Madonna has embellished her backstory to some degree.  Nothing is impossible.  Though, the likelihood of what happened may very well been embellished on Madonna's part.  As I stated, whatever happened, it makes a great story.   😉

51 minutes ago, Amelia said:

What kind of gibberish is this? Are you now her biographer? She knows better than you her past. What an absurd and ANNOYING post.

1 minute ago, karbatal said:

What kind of gibberish is this? Are you now her biographer? She knows better than you her past. What an absurd and ANNOYING post.

It's my opinion.  No need to get rude about it.  🙄

6 minutes ago, Amelia said:

She was born in 1894.  That would have made her 80 by 1974, so yes she would have been in her late 80's by the time Madonna cross paths with her.  😉

I didn't say it wasn't possible, nor did I say anything about her being an "usual, bed-ridden nobody's grandma".  I was thinking beyond that.  She being a legendary choreographer who at the age of 80 probably didn't go out of her way to visit some unknown student at the time.  We also know Madonna has embellished her backstory to some degree.  Nothing is impossible.  Though, the likelihood of what happened may very well been embellished on Madonna's part.  As I stated, whatever happened, it makes a great story.   😉

Really let it go. If you think Madonna has to embellish her past after so many years... I have no words.

2 minutes ago, tuckeye said:

i assumed that knock was at the school not her shitty apartments.

It seemed edited, so it probably was at school.  It makes for a great story, so whether it's real or not, I don't care.  I was just commenting my opinion, earlier.  Sorry that it "annoyed" some.  😑

3 minutes ago, Amelia said:

It seemed edited, so it probably was at school.  It makes for a great story, so whether it's real or not, I don't care.  I was just commenting my opinion, earlier.  Sorry that it "annoyed" some.  😑

I may understand, but if  you had googled "Madonna and Martha Graham"  you would have found the source I did and that I posted here.

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Really let it go. If you think Madonna has to embellish her past after so many years... I have no words.

Madonna can never win. She did too much, she did too little, she did not do enough, she overdid. 

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Madonna can never win. She did too much, she did too little, she did not do enough, she overdid. 

Now she's a liar 🤣

11 minutes ago, Amelia said:

how dare you retell madonnas story simply cuz of how you feel? you dont know anything about M ‘s life

1 minute ago, systemvalues said:

Now she's a liar 🤣

She told too much, and she's a "liar". And if not enough is being told, she's guilty of "doesn't really say anything interesting" so "it"s all rather empty and pointless". 

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

She told too much, and she's a "liar". And if not enough is being told, she's guilty of "doesn't really say anything interesting" so "it"s all rather empty and pointless". 

Let's enjoy this new fantastic era, nobody can be loved universally, especially when you're an achiever like Madonna is. 😉

I apologize!  😢 I was just offering an opinion.  I never called Madonna a liar.  I just wondered if she may have embellished the story a bit?  I wasn't the first to bring it up. I was just commenting on what another person brought up.   I am told to "let it go", but several of you are coming after me over my non ill intent opinion like I'm attacking Madonna.  Again, sorry!  😭

Edited by Amelia aka Neutrocks

1 hour ago, Amelia said:

Oh really? Can you imagine Martha being so BROKE that she was about to sell her jewellery for some cash till MADONNA stepped in and wrote her a cheque? Well guess what, it HAPPENED. Just because you can't imagine something in your limited mind, doesn't mean it didn't happen -

The New York Post spoke with Martha Graham’s heir, Ron Protas, who revealed that Madonna once bailed the dance legend out from having to sell pieces of her jewelry collection to stay afloat. Madonna’s rep Liz Rosenberg told Protas at the time, “Give it one day.” The next morning, Madonna’s office called – and Graham soon had a check for $150,000. “It was an extraordinarily generous gesture. Martha cried when she saw the check.”

I'm really sorry guys.  I didn't intend to cause trouble here or make anyone upset. I just offered my opinion based on what someone else said.   I never said Madonna and Graham never met.  I just thought maybe the story was a bit embellished.  I'll go now!!  😭😢

4 minutes ago, Kim said:

Oh really? Can you imagine Martha being so BROKE that she was about to sell her jewellery for some cash till MADONNA stepped in and wrote her a cheque? Well guess what, it HAPPENED. Just because you can't imagine something in your limited mind, doesn't mean it didn't happen -

The New York Post spoke with Martha Graham’s heir, Ron Protas, who revealed that Madonna once bailed the dance legend out from having to sell pieces of her jewelry collection to stay afloat. Madonna’s rep Liz Rosenberg told Protas at the time, “Give it one day.” The next morning, Madonna’s office called – and Graham soon had a check for $150,000. “It was an extraordinarily generous gesture. Martha cried when she saw the check.”

There are so many of these kind of acts from M that no one is aware of that will all come or one day 

she’s so humble . Other artists would be bragging about everything 

4 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I'm really sorry guys.  I didn't intend to cause trouble here or make anyone upset. I just offered my opinion based on what someone else said.   I never said Madonna and Graham never met.  I just thought maybe the story was a bit embellished.  I'll go now!!  😭😢

mais non reste c'est pas un drame

10 minutes ago, Kim said:

To further back @Kim this was actually written about in a book a number of years ago:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Hello_Goodbye_Hello.html?id=jVZoAAAAQBAJ

9 minutes ago, Amelia said:

No need to apologize. M has “embellished” things before so it’s not completely out of the realms of possibility that she would do it again. But I’m gonna her take her word for it.