STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

58 minutes ago, Miphiwart said:

Today was the second time radio speaker talked about madonnas hot new single after 4 years with a colombian singer BUT THEN played like a virgin and the other time la isla bonita. Looks like they still dont have the permission to play it.

I think they're trying to push the streaming first

16 minutes ago, cocolattee said:

sorry for my deep ignorance (I've always refused to use Sporify until now)

in order to support the single do we need to play ANY playlist that includes Medellin? Or only some of them? 

def we have to play Medellin on all the big playlists it has included 

4 minutes ago, Tulio1958 said:

I think they're trying to push the streaming first

Maybe that makes sense.

At least that way the radio are being sent a song that has already grown legs online over s song that has done nothing.

18 minutes ago, Supernatural said:

To give an idea on how well the youtube audio is moving;

https://kworb.net/youtube/video/b8PtBzdiZ3g.html

Expected to hit 100,000,000 on: 2019/06/23

If the streams double when the video comes out and hopefully that means 200,000,000 views...that would be great. Considering BIM did good, I’m expecting this to double or triple it’s numbers

59 minutes ago, MLVC82 said:

here's some news for you....

“Medellín” has finally been moved to @Madonna’s “Top 5” on Spotify! Her monthly listeners have skyrocketed, and she’s also moved up 34 positions (from 289th) to 255th in the world, all thanks to “Medellín.”

Actually she's moved up 36 positions (291th)

April 16 - 291th

April 17 - 282th

April 18 - 275th

April 19 - 264th

April 20 - 255th

5 hours ago, Miphiwart said:

Today was the second time radio speaker talked about madonnas hot new single after 4 years with a colombian singer BUT THEN played like a virgin and the other time la isla bonita. Looks like they still dont have the permission to play it.

They do that all the time on radio in the US. They say Kelly Clarkson has a new single, then play Since You Been Gone. Beyoncé has a new single...…….. then they play Crazy In Love. It's very annoying. They do this with every female singer over 30. I could go on and on by the way. Jennifer Lopez has a new single...….. let's play Waiting For Tonight. Huh? Oh look. Britney has a new single...…… let's play Oops! I Did It Again.

8 hours ago, Joao said:

"Medellín" – Spotify Update:

1st day: 520,454 streams
2nd day: 773,264 streams
3rd day: 994,654 streams
4th day: 645,281 streams

Total: 2,933,653 streams 

Stream it!

is it normal for songs to drop over the weekend? or are the friday numbers just bigger because of the playlists?

5 hours ago, Miphiwart said:

was it an adult contemporary or classic hits station? because they do this all the time but they don't really play the newer stuff so it's not unusual.

22 hours ago, Gabriel Ciccone said:

Medellín on New Music Friday, with 3.177.549 followers

Cover on Pop Up, with 2.936.020 followers

Novidades da Semana (New Music Friday Brazil) with 1.323.666 followers

New Music Friday UK with 707.631

New Music Friday Deutschland, with 523.775

Cover on New Music Friday Latin, with 362.614

New Music Friday Franve, with 232.543 followers

Cover on New Music Friday Netherlands, with 190.136 followers

Cover on New Music Friday Belgium, with only 2.244 followers

Following these lists! Thanks.

20 hours ago, graffitiheart said:

We need more of this. This is the first time I am streaming on spotify because all I had to do was click this link. lol. I don't know how to navigate that site. I have been on youtube though. If we can have more of these direct links I would certainly just click and play.

It's hard to keep up and understand the truth about this single with so many varying opinions. There are Madonna fan pages and groups on Facebook claiming the single is a failure because it hasn't hit the top ten in a traditional chart sense and that radio is not playing the song period while here the opinion seems to be that the single is doing quite well with streaming and that it hasn't been given to radio as yet and that the strategy is a slow build? 

1. Does anyone know if the song has been sent to radio? Is there an embargo on playing until a certain date?
  2. Does anyone know why Madonna and her camp have been so quiet since the single release, promo wise? Is this part of the bigger strategy? 

I would LOVE Madonna or her camp to give us an insight into their expectations in 2019 at age 61 of the singles market and her performance, I get the feeling NOW that Madonna understands based on her Billboard speech the 'turning water into wine' days regarding hit singles are no longer plausible. I also doubt Madonna and her team are sitting with fingers crossed watching the numbers roll in after the release of the single, I am just very curious as to what occurs behind the scenes based on expected outcomes.

Is the plan for this single to float around as it is currently without promotion, Madonna could very easily pull a publicity stunt to draw attention to the song but alas she is very quiet for a superstar with a new single out? Is Medellin the pre curser or warm up for what's to follow? 

The Spotify streaming numbers are actually great for ANY new song and pretty fucking impressive for Madonna , who is not 16 ,neither 26 not even 36 and started her recording career in 1982 . Let's not lose perspective . A song doesn't have to go top 10 to become a hit these days but to stick around .  It will be included in all these playlists  till next Friday , at least which guarantees a healthy stream average per day to keep some momentum going 🌺 🌺

If Madonna's gonna have any type a hit it'd surely be a sleeper one, at this point so patience guys , please . By the single roll out they have mapped out it looks to me like her and her team agree .

All considering , I think this single has organic success than any of her previous two lead singles . 

24 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

It's hard to keep up and understand the truth about this single with so many varying opinions. There are Madonna fan pages and groups on Facebook claiming the single is a failure because it hasn't hit the top ten in a traditional chart sense and that radio is not playing the song period while here the opinion seems to be that the single is doing quite well with streaming and that it hasn't been given to radio as yet and that the strategy is a slow build? 

1. Does anyone know if the song has been sent to radio? Is there an embargo on playing until a certain date?
  2. Does anyone know why Madonna and her camp have been so quiet since the single release, promo wise? Is this part of the bigger strategy? 

I would LOVE Madonna or her camp to give us an insight into their expectations in 2019 at age 61 of the singles market and her performance, I get the feeling NOW that Madonna understands based on her Billboard speech the 'turning water into wine' days regarding hit singles are no longer plausible. I also doubt Madonna and her team are sitting with fingers crossed watching the numbers roll in after the release of the single, I am just very curious as to what occurs behind the scenes based on expected outcomes.

Is the plan for this single to float around as it is currently without promotion, Madonna could very easily pull a publicity stunt to draw attention to the song but alas she is very quiet for a superstar with a new single out? Is Medellin the pre curser or warm up for what's to follow? 

To answer your 2 questions the song has not been sent to radio yet and it only dropped on Wednesday Madonna is launching the era next week with the unveiling of the music video and then we will get 2 months of promo until the album is dropped in June. It's only quite for literally for 1 week as Medellin gains strength online and then the promotion starts. 

I don't believe for a second Madonna was referring to her days of having hit singles when she made the quote about turning water into wine in her Billboard speech but I understand somewhat your comparison. Madonnas expectations in 2019 in my opinion are as strong for success as they were in 1989 with Like a Prayer, that ambition to deliver her music to the masses is just as strong. 

I have never believed the nonsense about her not caring about the charts either from some fans. She is a mainstream pop star who is up against it due to age and the fact she hasn't been supported correctly by her current record company but that said here she is as you say of the eve of 61 with her most modern and up to date promo strategy, if she or her team didn't care about the charts or having an impact on the modern musical landscape then Madonna wouldn't of hired Maluma for a start.

I disagree that her team are not watching the numbers. Of course they are I do believe the new PR firm and some of Madonnas conviction is to do with this over interscope. I think she has seeked out new blood but I do believe the team care remember her future tour revenue depends largely on Madame X connecting where RH did not. 

Its only floating around for 1 week and then the promo starts plus there's another few songs as previews on iTunes and at least one other single that has a video already shot we no nothing about yet.

Plenety still to come I think the expectation is through the roof and it's all to easy to judge quickly when the Madame X era hasn't really begun yet. She hasn't even made her first official appearance. There is a mega campaign about to be unleashed. 

On 4/21/2019 at 7:12 AM, letemmove said:

Would non-consecutive streams >10  be considered spam?  Can you stream for 10 times consecutively THEN alternate and have over 10 counted?

10 times per account per day - they look at the total number of streams from your account in a 24-hour period, but not whether they were consecutive etc.  Whether you stream it 10 times consecutively or listen to it once ever two hours, the tally is still the same.

8 hours ago, MLVC82 said:

here's some news for you....

“Medellín” has finally been moved to @Madonna’s “Top 5” on Spotify! Her monthly listeners have skyrocketed, and she’s also moved up 34 positions (from 289th) to 255th in the world, all thanks to “Medellín.”

9 hours ago, motherandfather03 said:

i think this is good for a song that got played once and has no video

8 hours ago, Supernatural said:

To give an idea on how well the youtube audio is moving;

https://kworb.net/youtube/video/b8PtBzdiZ3g.html

Expected to hit 100,000,000 on: 2019/06/23

As @motherandfather03 says, the song is doing really well under the circumstances. Let’s keep it up. Bravo Madonna.:clap:

And so it begins.... Ok guys, its Monday morning here in Australia, news on in the background and I hear 'Madonna Flops' a full news report dedicated to Madonna's flop new single Medellin reporting that the superstar's new single has been a disaster on radio, iTunes and streaming services. This is the problem the media gets hold of it and runs with it then it becomes a snowball. 

I dunno disappointed to say the least, but expected I guess. This would never be reported about anyone else however, goes with the territory.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

2 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

And so it begins.... Ok guys, its Monday morning here in Australia, news on in the background and I hear 'Madonna Flops' a full news report dedicated to Madonna's flop new single Medellin reporting that the superstar's new single has been a disaster on radio, iTunes and streaming services. This is the problem the media gets hold of it and runs with it then it becomes a snowball. 

I dunno disappointed to say the least, but expected I guess. This would never be reported about anyone else however, goes with the territory.

What was the program?  They'll undoubtedly be referring to the Roger Friedman article that was published over the weekend about the US situation.

4 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

Shut the fuck up.

Ban that troll for Christ’s sake. 

Just now, Carta said:

What was the program?  They'll undoubtedly be referring to the Roger Friedman article that was published over the weekend about the US situation.

Don’t feed the troll

4 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

Why shouldnt we shoot the messenger when its not necessary to even post here? What do you gain by posting about it?

Just now, runa said:

Don’t feed the troll

Unfortunately, there is an article by Roger Friedman saying exactly what this news report is supposed to have said, so I'm interested to know which program is using him as a source 😞

2 minutes ago, Carta said:

Unfortunately, there is an article by Roger Friedman saying exactly what this news report is supposed to have said, so I'm interested to know which program is using him as a source 😞

Thank you, it was channel seven news and also Morning Show channel 7.

46 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

Radio in Australia doesn't play new Madonna music, so don't expect to hear it here.  As for promotion, they're doing an excellent job so far, so I'm not sure what you're worried about, to be honest.  She has the video premiere next week, then a live performance the week after.  People are talking about her again, so it's all good :tigger:

Just now, Who Is That Girl? said:

Thank you, it was channel seven news and also Morning Show channel 7.

Thank you!  It's really disappointing that they're choosing to use Roger Friedman as a source - his credibility is zilch.

3 minutes ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

Why shouldnt we shoot the messenger when its not necessary to even post here? What do you gain by posting about it?

Really thats interesting considering this thread is about streaming and sales strategy discussion in which all my posts in this thread have been about.

1 minute ago, Carta said:

Thank you!  It's really disappointing that they're choosing to use Roger Friedman as a source - his credibility is zilch.

I didn't see that article, if I had it would not of been as shocking to see the news, I'm not sure if that was the reference or not. What does this Roger guys say when the same charts situation happens to every other legacy artist or is it just that he hates Madge.

Just now, Who Is That Girl? said:

I didn't see that article, if I had it would not of been as shocking to see the news, I'm not sure if that was the reference or not. What does this Roger guys say when the same charts situation happens to every other legacy artist or is it just that he hates Madge.

He loathes her and always has.  Google him, but don't comment on him in here (it's just for your own background info).  He was positive about Rebel Heart when it leaked, but other than that, he has done everything he possibly can to drag Madonna down throughout her career.  He focused solely on the single's US performance in his article and failed to mention that it had reached #2 worldwide, #1 overall in Europe and #1 in 20 different countries (because it didn't serve his purpose, which was to trash Madonna).