STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

So much negativity around here. I'm happy she's getting such a positive reaction in the latin countries and let's remember that Madonna still sells loads of albums. Rebel Heart sold really well even with the leaks. I believe this album will do even better. M is an album artist now. Let's enjoy all the great promo that's coming and enjoy her music.

Guys, her singles days are long behind her, she knows that, radio that counts towards chart positions will NEVER play her new material, its all promo for the album, it doesn't really matter, when she releases the other singles she will be here there and everywhere on iTunes and streaming, Madonna herself hasn't really done any personal promo for the single, I am sure the team know that and predict average to decent, why would these single perform any better than the last two albums, she is 61 almost and singles are so fluid these days, they come they go. Do Janet, Marah, Jlo, or any older acts perform better NO Madonna still outdoes them all. There is a real buzz about this era no one expects Madonna to have a number one single, I think she made piece with that many moons ago, if she was after a number one her team would be scrambling. If we didn't realise that after the initial buzz the single would drop we are all in for a disappointment. 

7 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

Guys, her singles days are long behind her, she knows that, radio that counts towards chart positions will NEVER play her new material, its all promo for the album, it doesn't really matter, when she releases the other singles she will be here there and everywhere on iTunes and streaming, Madonna herself hasn't really done any personal promo for the single, I am sure the team know that and predict average to decent, why would these single perform any better than the last two albums, she is 61 almost and singles are so fluid these days, they come they go. Do Janet, Marah, Jlo, or any older acts perform better NO Madonna still outdoes them all. There is a real buzz about this era no one expects Madonna to have a number one single, I think she made piece with that many moons ago, if she was after a number one her team would be scrambling. If we didn't realise that after the initial buzz the single would drop we are all in for a disappointment. 

Calm down dear it only dropped on Wednesday.

Your right she hasn't done any personal promo but she is about to starting with a dedicated show on MTV next week for the video and then she's performing at the Billboard Music Awards soon after.

I agree with what you are saying about older acts but it is still extremely early days to write Medellin off just yet. The promotion hasn't even started yet so it still might grow legs 🙂🏽

Agreed. Although I want there to be a radio add date! Aren’t they usually Mondays? At least then we would have had 24 spins instead of 3!

how do we find out if there is a radio add? Has it been sent? Anyone know for sure????

radio is hella over but still. 

4 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Calm down dear it only dropped on Wednesday.

Your right she hasn't done any personal promo but she is about to starting with a dedicated show on MTV next week for the video and then she's performing at the Billboard Music Awards soon after.

I agree with what you are saying about older acts but it is still extremely early days to write Medellin off just yet. The promotion hasn't even started yet so it still might grow legs 🙂🏽

I was only reacting to panic of it not being a global number one, I am realistic her audience is in that weird in between worlds they don't really stream and they don't really buy singles, I am wondering if Medellin is a 'soft' launch to test the market and remind the world of her new music, her PR has been pretty bad the last few years, butt of jokes, age, eulogies and fillers/grillz not to mention instagram, I am sure part is repair from a PR perspective I could be wrong about that. I firmly believe though if she was with Warners we would be not having any of these conversations, alas she isn't though..!!! I just don't feel like the LN/Interscope have the same reach into promo/radio play even paid, if no one hears the song on the radio how does the casual fan know it even exists?

4 minutes ago, imakicola said:

Agreed. Although I want there to be a radio add date! Aren’t they usually Mondays? At least then we would have had 24 spins instead of 3!

how do we find out if there is a radio add? Has it been sent? Anyone know for sure????

radio is hella over but still. 

RADIO is NOT OVER, in AUSTRALIA radio is HUGE if your song is not played it will FAIL.

Not yelling with caps up just t enforcing how important radio is souther hemisphere.

Edited by Who Is That Girl?

It is still early ... we do not know what the next events will be.  It is clear that the strategy is risky, triumphing with a reggeton Latin theme in the whole world is a complicated task.

I think that we have that clear from the moment she decides to release a first single with Maluma.

let's give it time .. missing the video, promo .. and hopefully it is true that Eurovision will sing another song .. this time alone (I hope so)..

Anyway, I do not care about the sales, numbers 1 ... if you do not really play in the same league, if you do not put your records on the radio, if you do not have the media attention of other young artists.

I  do not think that Medellin will be a worldwide success, except in the Latin countries.

I wish I was wrong, every time I like more Medellin. 

although it was not what I expected as the first single after listening to Beautiful game.

Much remains to be discovered, much to celebrate, performances, videos, récord ..

although the biggest celebration is to be able to continue enjoying her music.to be able to enjoy Madonna. we are privileged!

God save the Queen!

21 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

I was only reacting to panic of it not being a global number one, I am realistic her audience is in that weird in between worlds they don't really stream and they don't really buy singles, I am wondering if Medellin is a 'soft' launch to test the market and remind the world of her new music, her PR has been pretty bad the last few years, butt of jokes, age, eulogies and fillers/grillz not to mention instagram, I am sure part is repair from a PR perspective I could be wrong about that. I firmly believe though if she was with Warners we would be not having any of these conversations, alas she isn't though..!!! I just don't feel like the LN/Interscope have the same reach into promo/radio play even paid, if no one hears the song on the radio how does the casual fan know it even exists?

I agree with much of what your saying, Madonnas core audience don't stream or download but I the older generations are starting to turn to it as you can't get away from it in today's market. I don't know about a soft launch, but they are staggering the process over dropping everything on day 1 and hoping for the best.

Her PR has been messy and I agree with you about Warners they had power locally across the globe that interscope either don't have or won't open up to Madonna, but remember she's signed into a record/distribution deal that isn't worth major $$ to them and her main bosses are LN so unlike Warners they simply won't get a big enough return to invest a huge marketing budget.

Now stepping into today and where we are at. She has brought in a new PR team and this time round there appears to be an online strategy which has been lacking. We are still early regarding the radio it may/should be served next week alongside the video, I can't imagine they are just going to ignore the radio but they are starting the campaign online, that's all. I'm not watering down the importance of radio but they abandoned M a long time ago for whatever reason so M is going the route of streaming with one of its biggest stars, Maluma. 

I understand what your saying about the public not knowing it exists without radio but that's not strictly true as most music lovers and casual fans will hear about it from streaming charts, iTunes and online promotion. Plus there is planned promotion the BB awards have a huge audience in the states and we have the Eurovision coming up which is absolutely massive in Europe so people will know Madonnas is back.

I just think we have to allow the promo timetable to happen, she was never going to have an overnight night smash not in 2019 but I do firmly believe she can have a decent hit if she carries on like this, I actually think it is likely to be another single from Madame X that will give her it, but I love Medellin all the same.

The appearneces, the performances, the videos, the interviews, the magazines, the era ..... it's all still to come. 😎

I’m actually ok with how it’s rolling out... it’s #3 on the worldwide chart and Wednesday will boost it, the awards performance will continue to boost it. 

YouTube views have definitely slowed down but hopefully on track for 6,000,000 by the end of the day.

43 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

RADIO is NOT OVER, in AUSTRALIA radio is HUGE if your song is not played it will FAIL.

Not yelling with caps up just t enforcing how important radio is souther hemisphere.

can we do something to get this song played?

36 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I agree with much of what your saying, Madonnas core audience don't stream or download but I the older generations are starting to turn to it as you can't get away from it in today's market. I don't know about a soft launch, but they are staggering the process over dropping everything on day 1 and hoping for the best.

Her PR has been messy and I agree with you about Warners they had power locally across the globe that interscope either don't have or won't open up to Madonna, but remember she's signed into a record/distribution deal that isn't worth major $$ to them and her main bosses are LN so unlike Warners they simply won't get a big enough return to invest a huge marketing budget.

Now stepping into today and where we are at. She has brought in a new PR team and this time round there appears to be an online strategy which has been lacking. We are still early regarding the radio it may/should be served next week alongside the video, I can't imagine they are just going to ignore the radio but they are starting the campaign online, that's all. I'm not watering down the importance of radio but they abandoned M a long time ago for whatever reason so M is going the route of streaming with one of its biggest stars, Maluma. 

I understand what your saying about the public not knowing it exists without radio but that's not strictly true as most music lovers and casual fans will hear about it from streaming charts, iTunes and online promotion. Plus there is planned promotion the BB awards have a huge audience in the states and we have the Eurovision coming up which is absolutely massive in Europe so people will know Madonnas is back.

I just think we have to allow the promo timetable to happen, she was never going to have an overnight night smash not in 2019 but I do firmly believe she can have a decent hit if she carries on like this, I actually think it is likely to be another single from Madame X that will give her it, but I love Medellin all the same.

The appearneces, the performances, the videos, the interviews, the magazines, the era ..... it's all still to come. 😎

You are awesome, just saying!!! You have an insight that few could articulate, thank you from an Aussie fan that has weathered the first single release anxiety since the Erotica backlash 🤣 of 92' was quite young at the time nonetheless, very aware.

We have to remind ourselves that it is STAGGERING we still have her input at this level in 2019 at age 61(almost) I keep thinking back to Truth or Dare when Nicki Harris drunkenly says something like 'World tour 2025' who would have thought we are almost there, not me.

5 minutes ago, davejr. said:

is this good?

yep 

considering her previous songs, it is VERY good.

overall, it is not good. but we're in very early stage. wish GP pick up the song. 

4 minutes ago, fandonna said:

yep 

considering her previous songs, it is VERY good.

overall, it is not good. but we're in very early stage. wish GP pick up the song. 

maybe after the holidays it will pick up even more

4 hours ago, leeagainstthemusic said:

Radio 2 hasn’t even added this to their playlist I’m so annoyed 😡 

Graham Norton just played it so hopefully some djs will play it as they like it!

5.3 Million Views on Youtube is BEAUTIFUL!!!  I make sure whenever I work on the laptop....I have it on Youtube looping in the background....and/or Spotify.

Focus on the positivity!!!!! she is giving us soooooo much this era...and i'm fighting for her too! 

I love that (most of) the QUEEN MADONNA fans this time are really supporting each other.....and making it move! I think we realize how lucky we are to have her.....❤️

1 hour ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

You are awesome, just saying!!! You have an insight that few could articulate, thank you from an Aussie fan that has weathered the first single release anxiety since the Erotica backlash 🤣 of 92' was quite young at the time nonetheless, very aware.

We have to remind ourselves that it is STAGGERING we still have her input at this level in 2019 at age 61(almost) I keep thinking back to Truth or Dare when Nicki Harris drunkenly says something like 'World tour 2025' who would have thought we are almost there, not me.

Your more awesome! 

Just my opinion but I do think this time round there's a much better chance of getting a hit/bigger exposure for album then ever before because the strategy is up to date. 

I was too young to experience the Erotica backlash but I understand your anxiety as a fan I feel it a lot here in the U.K. where there have been major mistakes in how her music releases are handled in recent times.

The fact this woman is still able to make the kind of headlines she has in just a few days without any promotion really for a brand new song is something her contempories that she started with can only dream of.

I don’t claim to know much about the sales and streaming era but is almost 6million views for a song with no video in 2 and a half days quite good ?? 

4 minutes ago, RyanAnth4 said:

I don’t claim to know much about the sales and streaming era but is almost 6million views for a song with no video in 2 and a half days quite good ?? 

These are good views for an audio video. Meanwhile she debuts at 107 in the Spotity daily worldwide chart with 922,000 streams yesterday and she is right above Beyonce's overhyped ass.