STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

2 hours ago, Carta said:

Australia has the "maximum of 10 plays per 24-hour period" streaming rule for the charts, too.

I can't for the life of me understand why this single is being released on a Wednesday when the chart week runs from Friday to Thursday.  I know charts aren't everything, but since this is a thread specifically designed to boost her chances of charting highly, it's relevant to bring it up here.  Essentially, anything anyone does on Wednesday and Thursday is going to have minimal impact (since the single is unlikely to attract enough interest in less than 48 hours to have a massive impact anywhere).  It's what happens from Friday to Thursday that will make the most difference.

Stephen, thank you for spearheading this particular campaign! :tigger:

some have speculated that since friday is a holiday that they're trying to get maximum exposure before that (and apparently taylor is dropping her single so they don't want to wait for the following week). the only other thing i can think of is that they're confident that this will do well long-term and counting on momentum to carry it through the following week. maybe they're not as concerned with a big first week and more interested in peaking later? can't think of another reason. everything else seems to have been planned very carefully.

Edited by bardo

We need to stream the hell out of MEDELLÍN on Spotify, Madonna fam! Maybe we should create a forum playlist when the song comes out.

Medellín

Madonna hit

Medellín

Madonna hit 

Medellín

Madonna hit

...You catch my grift. Your customized playlists don't qualify as spam/auto-generated plays, so it's all good.

When it comes to the YouTube video, please do not hit replay when you finish, instead refresh the page, or type MADONNA MEDELLÍN in the search bar again, so every single view will count.

Most of all, spread the word and enjoy the music!!!. We all want to support M but never forget that charts are just an indicator of popularity, not quality or artistry, so don't get too caught up in the numbers and celebrate this moment.

3 minutes ago, Karma said:

We need to stream the hell out of MEDELLÍN on Spotify, Madonna fam! Maybe we should create a forum playlist when the song comes out.

Medellín

Madonna hit

Medellín

Madonna hit 

Medellín

Madonna hit

...You catch my grift. Your customized playlists don't qualify as spam/auto-generated plays, so it's all good.

When it comes to the YouTube video, please do not hit replay when you finish, instead refresh the page, or type MADONNA MEDELLÍN in the search bar again, so every single view will count.

Most of all, spread the word and enjoy the music!!!. We all want to support M but never forget that charts are just an indicator of popularity, not quality or artistry, so don't get too caught up in the numbers and celebrate this moment.

OK! We can coordinate and make an official MNATION playlist! 

2 hours ago, Carta said:

Stephen, thank you for spearheading this particular campaign! :tigger:

No problem! We want the best for the queen!! 

Only 10 streams per day count for charting purposes, though (in many countries), regardless of whether it's on a playlist or not.  We'll all listen to it way more times than 10 in a 24-hour period, but only those first 10 listens will count towards your country's chart (and in Italy etc. they won't count at all unless you have a Premium account).

It was the same with physical copies (and still is for the album chart) - multiple copies on the same receipt of the same product are excluded from the charts ("multiple" varies from region to region - in Australia, it's "more than three copies of an identical product").

I'm in no way trying to put a dampener on any of this - we just need to be aware of what will actually count towards the charts.

1 hour ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

Remember that the sound needs to be on   for it to count on the charts!  This applies to all streaming platforms including YouTube. 

It was so much easier when all you had to do was catch the bus to your local shopping centre/mall and hand over some money in exchange for a cool little black or silver round thing!!!!

54 minutes ago, Carta said:

It was so much easier when all you had to do was catch the bus to your local shopping centre/mall and hand over some money in exchange for a cool little black or silver round thing!!!!

I miss those days.....

5 hours ago, Carta said:

Only 10 streams per day count for charting purposes, though (in many countries), regardless of whether it's on a playlist or not.  We'll all listen to it way more times than 10 in a 24-hour period, but only those first 10 listens will count towards your country's chart (and in Italy etc. they won't count at all unless you have a Premium account).

It was the same with physical copies (and still is for the album chart) - multiple copies on the same receipt of the same product are excluded from the charts ("multiple" varies from region to region - in Australia, it's "more than three copies of an identical product").

I'm in no way trying to put a dampener on any of this - we just need to be aware of what will actually count towards the charts.

This is good. Once again, this correct information needs to be pinned!

Do not do continued streaming for hours on end as this is likely to be discounted!!!

Ten streams on each channel over 24 hours then enjoy the download!!!

Will curating playlists that general members of the public may listen to with summer times on and including the single count? 

5 hours ago, cardiganstarlet said:

What are the charting rules in Australia other than 10 streams/24 hour limit? Ie does anything else besides streams and sales count?

The USA system seems so complex

Video views count, too (YouTube).  Nothing else counts for the Australian charts.  Streaming is by far the dominant force in Australia (Pink was #1 in sales for weeks recently but missed the Top 10 for the first time in her entire career with a lead single because it barely scraped the Top 40 on the streaming chart).  Nothing from RH came anywhere near entering the Top 100 in Australia, so I'd be over the moon with a Top 40 entry here, to be honest.

3 hours ago, jonski43 said:

This is good. Once again, this correct information needs to be pinned!

Do not do continued streaming for hours on end as this is likely to be discounted!!!

Ten streams on each channel over 24 hours then enjoy the download!!!

Will curating playlists that general members of the public may listen to with summer times on and including the single count? 

Yes - plays from playlists count.  There's talk of diminishing the value of such plays (i.e. more weight will be given to plays that are specifically chosen by a listener, rather than those that are generated from random playlists, which makes sense), but that's not a rule yet.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Hey--please keep checking the first post of this thread...I update it with new ways to help Medllin!

Thanks Stephen , will do . I’ll admit I’m a chart obsessed geek so will try everything 

4 hours ago, Carta said:

Video views count, too (YouTube).  Nothing else counts for the Australian charts.  Streaming is by far the dominant force in Australia (Pink was #1 in sales for weeks recently but missed the Top 10 for the first time in her entire career with a lead single because it barely scraped the Top 40 on the streaming chart).  Nothing from RH came anywhere near entering the Top 100 in Australia, so I'd be over the moon with a Top 40 entry here, to be honest.

Thanks for the clarity honey! What a ridiculous world to live in...!

@Stephen the information pinned on page one is incorrect isn't it?

There's a ten play limit per 24 hour period for Spotify and YouTube and possibly other platforms. Constant plays will be discounted.

I thought you were going to update it?