STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

EVERYONE DOWNLOAD SPOTIFY/apple music IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

Start your free trial and get ready to STREAM

WHAT HE SAID!!!!! we need to stream this all day, all week, around the clock, etc.!!!

Just now, Andra said:

I have downloaded spotify, its free no trial. Or do i need to have premium to stream?? Idk how this works

I believe only premium listens count towards streaming numbers. but I could be wrong?

2 minutes ago, Andra said:

I have downloaded spotify, its free no trial. Or do i need to have premium to stream?? Idk how this works

It's free you don't need premium but if you're playing on your phone then you can only play songs randomly on the free account .

Just now, Andra said:

You don't need premium to stream. The difference is that with free you have advertisements  - interrupting the music - every 30 Minutes (well, at least it was like that trhee years ago when I started using premium).

3 minutes ago, galvanize said:

How do you know for sure that repeated streams by the same user count indefinitely? 

Cause that's how Ariana Grande got her number ones sis xo

4 minutes ago, galvanize said:

How do you know for sure that repeated streams by the same user count indefinitely? 

On Spotify Only so many streams count a day I'm not sure what the limit is I think in the UK it's 10 and also in the US .  Also if you play this song on repeat the system will register it as spam and not counted either.  A lot of people make a playlist with the new song every other song that way it won't register as spam. 

btw is there any way i can make my streams count towards the billboard hot 100 instead, cause i'm from a small country and streaming to make it chart here is inconsequential.

IMPORTANT INFO (UK)

Earlier this year, Billboard, which publishes the definitive album and song charts for the U.S. music industry, revamped its chart formulas, giving more weight to paid streams than free ones. Now, the UK’s Official Charts Company says it is following suit. 

Starting June 2018, UK charts will count streams from premium subscribers (e.g. those on Apple Music or Spotify’s paid tier) six times more than streams from users on an ad-supported platform (e.g. Spotify’s free tier). 

The Official Charts Company said supporting paid streaming over free streaming will benefit the music industry. The latter makes significantly less money for artists and songwriters than the former – and because premium subscribers supposedly “tend to access new music quicker,” trending songs will enter the charts a little higher than before. 

Under the current system, it takes 150 streams of a song to count as the equivalent of a traditional, old-school sale. Under the new one, that number is 100 for paid streams and 600 for free streams. That discrepancy is much higher than what it is under Billboard’s changes in the U.S., which gives free streams two-thirds the weight of paid streams.

Critics worry that disfavoring free streams will lower representation of younger listeners, but the UK’s chart organization says it hasn’t seen a major upheaval in the tests it ran before announcing the changes. “It’s not like suddenly there will be loads of Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones in the chart,” Martin Talbot, chief executive of the Official Charts Company, said to the Guardian. 

In Spain, Italy and France, free streams do not count at all toward music charts. Talbot said that some officials in the UK were in favor of adopting that policy, but the company did not want to go too far because it recognizes there are “younger fans who maybe don’t have access to credit cards, or low-income music fans who can’t afford a subscription but will still listen on legitimate, ad-funded streaming services.”

Other changes to the UK’s charts methodology include a measure that safeguards against “spamming” artists to Number One – once a user has played a song 10 times in 24 hours, streams after that are not counted – and the inclusion of music videos in its formula, which historically eschewed video streams and downloads until now.

But all of this reorganization stands against the fact that music charts, in the age of digital streaming, have still become both game-able and somewhat arbitrary. Last year, fans of pop star Harry Styles banded together to boost Styles’ chart position by setting up VPNs to fake the location of their streams. And putting streams alongside sales into one formula makes for a capricious comparison: While the UK now counts 100 to 600 song streams as one sale, Nielsen, which provides the data for Billboard’s charts, counts several thousand streams as one sale, and there’s no global entity to reconcile both sets of numbers into one coherent ranking. 

That means determining the artist or song that is “Number One” at any given time depends on how and where people are listening.

Some companies, like YouTube, disagree with Billboard‘s take on free streams. In May, YouTube debuted its own trending-music chart. “Billboard is essentially saying the only music fans that count are music fans that have credit cards and are paying for subscriptions,” YouTube head of label relations Stephen Bryan told Rolling Stone. 

But the company, catering to both industry demands and the new chart configuration, also recently launched YouTube Music – a paid subscription service of its own.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/u-s-and-u-k-music-charts-both-favor-paid-streaming-now-666827/

Can we please pin THE CORRECT information on streaming so people don't get their plays discounted!!!!!!

Also, if you create a general playlist of other artists and add this in, does this count? I think that's what other artists have done.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Cause that's how Ariana Grande got her number ones sis xo

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

TRUE TEA GORL!!!!! 

MY STREAMING GAME IS REAT-TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! let's get this shit charted!

2 hours ago, T0pher said:

I believe only premium listens count towards streaming numbers. but I could be wrong?

Both ad-supported and paid streams count toward streaming numbers, charts and certifications.

But in the US, the UK and Ireland, paid streams are given more weight than ad-supported streams in chart and certification calculations.

6 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

So streaming a song more than 10x a day won’t count?

In you're in the UK, only 10 streams per platform per day will count towards charts.