Madame X: Album Discussion

2 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

"The disco track" doesnt have any features or duets right? Will a solo Madonna track generate radio play and streams better? Right now Medellin is getting huge streaming every night from the Latin countries..

It definitely won't be the Quavo and Swae Lee tracks and we know the Anitta feature, so it must be a solo one

The disco track will be tapping into a market she hasn't engaged with since Confessions, which is generally considered her last commercial peak. So it'll be playing on the nostalgia too which gives radio an incentive to pay attention to it.

And not just because its disco, but because the more recent singles with major exposure (Living for Love, Bitch I'm Madonna, Medellin) were musically targeted towards a younger demographic and isolated casual fans in the process. Radio doesn't need to play a new Madonna song if the same sound is being done by someone 30 years younger and more mediocre 'relevant'. Sometimes radio play is just based on the product itself and something like the disco track will be far more palatable from 'Madonna' than a blatant attempt at a hit (sorry Medellin)

Look at Kylie's success with her last album/era. Some genuine success is entirely possible with the right music, promotion and good PR.

16 minutes ago, rayofgod said:

It definitely won't be the Quavo and Swae Lee tracks and we know the Anitta feature, so it must be a solo one

The disco track will be tapping into a market she hasn't engaged with since Confessions, which is generally considered her last commercial peak. So it'll be playing on the nostalgia too which gives radio an incentive to pay attention to it.

And not just because its disco, but because the more recent singles with major exposure (Living for Love, Bitch I'm Madonna, Medellin) were musically targeted towards a younger demographic and isolated casual fans in the process. Radio doesn't need to play a new Madonna song if the same sound is being done by someone 30 years younger and more mediocre 'relevant'. Sometimes radio play is just based on the product itself and something like the disco track will be far more palatable from 'Madonna' than a blatant attempt at a hit (sorry Medellin)

Look at Kylie's success with her last album/era. Some genuine success is entirely possible with the right music, promotion and good PR.

I don’t think Medellín is an attempt at a hit. I still think it’s truly her and the fact that she and Mirwais did the core proves it. But I agree with all that u say apart from that. If she simply does a single on par of Hung Up she ll be more likely to have a hit than with Medellín - at least in Europe and smth like this would really benefit from her performing on Eurovision.

When I first listened to Medellin, I was meh... I listened to it a couple of times before the video release. After watching the video, I can't stop listening to it.

I just hope the whole album won't be full of Latin influences like Medellin. I'm expecting something totally different and captivating.

12 minutes ago, TheRainbowKid said:

When I first listened to Medellin, I was meh... I listened to it a couple of times before the video release. After watching the video, I can't stop listening to it.

I just hope the whole album won't be full of Latin influences like Medellin. I'm expecting something totally different and captivating.

From what I heard the album has big latin influence all over: latin, salsa, zamba, fado, reggeaton, batukaders, flamenco, spain, cap verde, portugal, brazil, colombia, africa you name it.

But its done with a modern twist and its different.

10 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

From what I heard the album has big latin influence all over: latin, salsa, zamba, fado, reggeaton, batukaders, flamenco, spain, cap verde, portugal, brazil, colombia, africa you name it.

But its done with a modern twist and its different.

Which personally excites me to no end!! I absolutely love Latin music, especially Brazilian! Brazil is very rich musically and it has a lot to offer. I am also looking forward to a possible feature of Baianas on the album!! 

13 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Which personally excites me to no end!! I absolutely love Latin music, especially Brazilian! Brazil is very rich musically and it has a lot to offer. I am also looking forward to a possible feature of Baianas on the album!! 

Yes, im excited too. She has always had latin influences in her work but never a whole album less or more dedicated to it. 

So this really is the Madonna album I have waited all my life.

1 hour ago, elijah said:

I don’t think Medellín is an attempt at a hit. I still think it’s truly her and the fact that she and Mirwais did the core proves it. But I agree with all that u say apart from that. If she simply does a single on par of Hung Up she ll be more likely to have a hit than with Medellín - at least in Europe and smth like this would really benefit from her performing on Eurovision.

I meant that more in the sense of the general public perception of it. Many will hear the reggaeton influence / Maluma and make an instant judgment, all based on the surface and usually without even hearing the full song. The same process of judgment is likely done by radio/playlist curators too.

A disco single will allow for a different narrative of Madonna to emerge. No one will be able to accuse her of jumping on trends and she'll have the exposure from the Eurovision (rather than from a feature or hype, both of which lead to criticism anyway)... It's literally the recipe for a hit.

I think the decision to release the album mid June is a bad idea. It should be ready to go after Eurovision whilst there is great interest. My suspicion is that a presale for the new tour (with a copy of the album) will be announced instead as there are already rumours it commences by the end of the year.

12 hours ago, datf said:

does anyone have the image showing the dates that the others songs would be released in the next few weeks? i accidentally deleted it from my computer and can't find it here anymore.

03-May: I Rise

10-May: Crave

17-May: Future

07-June: Dark Ballet

Future feat. Quavo is being realeased the day before Eurovision Contest. If she's planning to perform the disco track (Killers Who Are Partying?) on Eurovision, that would be the perfect slot time to release it  adding sales from fans and from casual public and media exposure.

Also, there's nothing between 17-May and 7-June. She could release a 2nd single those weeks (Killers or Batuka, if those are the songs with already filmed videoclip).

Edited by JohnnyUtah

10 hours ago, JayMac said:

Do you think that something went wrong with her eye and that’s how this eye patch came to be. Like droopy eye from Botox that’s very common. I actually love the patch and think it’s brilliant how she’s using it. 

Oh FFS. No.

6 hours ago, JWAD said:

I think the decision to release the album mid June is a bad idea. It should be ready to go after Eurovision whilst there is great interest. My suspicion is that a presale for the new tour (with a copy of the album) will be announced instead as there are already rumours it commences by the end of the year.

Depends what they have planned otherwise id agree with you. 

I think a huge 2nd single is round the corner and I can see her performing a few mini shows like she did for MUSIC in the time after the Eurovision and the album dropping...

11 hours ago, rayofgod said:

Yeah she should really look at Kylie's strategy for her Golden album, it's sold very well in the UK (5k in cassettes alone). I think once M's contract is up with Interscope she should move to BMG Rights Management who did a great job with Kylie. Artists are flocking to this label as they retain their rights to the music and they appear to be very involved with promoting the music.

I think it’s interesting to note that Medellin opens the album! 

Also I saw an audio review on YouTube and the youtuber made a connection that’s probably been discussed and analyzed already but that all the personas represent a song...cha cha instructor is the first description in all the descriptions and it’s the first song on the album so each song that follows could be a persona. Could we possibly be getting 13 videos!!!! Can you imagine a slow rollout...or at the very least a video for each buzz single dropped in May...who knows. Maybe it’s just two videos (Medellin and the disco one) 

12 hours ago, rayofgod said:

47 minutes ago, JWAD said:

Yeah she should really look at Kylie's strategy for her Golden album, it's sold very well in the UK (5k in cassettes alone). I think once M's contract is up with Interscope she should move to BMG Rights Management who did a great job with Kylie. Artists are flocking to this label as they retain their rights to the music and they appear to be very involved with promoting the music.

giphy.gif

45 minutes ago, JWAD said:

Nobody even knew she had an album out outside the UK. They worked that one like a whore cuz they knew it's the only place she had a shot. I don't c how this applies 2 Madonna... 

8 minutes ago, acko said:

Nobody even knew she had an album out outside the UK. They worked that one like a whore cuz they knew it's the only place she had a shot. I don't c how this applies 2 Madonna... 

I have to agree. I know a few people who purchased the album but in the states, as with all her releases, it came and went forgotten. 

10 minutes ago, acko said:

Well to be honest Madonna needs strategy in UK if she wants a resurgence. She could use them. She really needs to resign with Warner though. They managed to shove the tragic mess that is Shallow in everyone’s throat and even make it a semi hit (lots of mafia money though). They shoved Ed Sheridan in everyone’s throat too. Now imagine Madonna with the same push = Confessions M.

9 minutes ago, acko said:

Right not to mention her tour gross which even in the UK were ABYSMAL. Not one sellout in the UK. For such a "successful" album I am not seeing much success. Madonna is in another league and doesnt need Kylies management.

10 minutes ago, Mensch said:

I have to agree. I know a few people who purchased the album but in the states, as with all her releases, it came and went forgotten. 

Even the 1-minute TRAILER of Madame X has more YouTube views than "Golden" (one of its singles) :rotfl:

13 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Even the 1-minute TRAILER of Madame X has more YouTube views than "Golden" (one of its singles) :rotfl:

OMFG! 😂😂 I love Kylie but she’s boring and safe. 

13 hours ago, rayofgod said:

Did you hear the disco stumper?

The press release highlights Medellin, Dark Ballet, Future, and I Rise. 

I Rise, Crave, Future, Dark Ballet are rumored to be the pre-album iTunes releases.

Combined I think that makes it pretty clear Dark Ballet, Future, and I Rise are under single-consideration and/or likely to be album highlights. Seems interesting that Killers Who are Partying (which truly is an unusual title) is getting so much rumor mill attention.

1 hour ago, acko said:

But still, I'd say it's better for an era to be a big deal in one country than being a 'passable success' worldwide.

Madonna is a truly global act unlike Kylie so if they did apply a similar strategy to Madonna I'm sure it'll affect sales beyond just the UK

And yes, Madonna is in her own league in most aspects but it doesn't make her untouchable or incomparable to Kylie. The success of Kylie's album is about more than just sales - she actually had great press and the general public were engaged and supportive after she had been ignored for quite a while. 

Kylie's success was a result of effective marketing/management/PR etc. Stuff that even the almighty god of music herself needs.

@systemvalues I haven't, I'm just optimistic about the vibe from the couple of clips she's shared :confessions:

4 minutes ago, rayofgod said:

Kylie's success was a result of effective marketing/management/PR etc. Stuff that even the almighty god of music herself needs.

Seriously.   Are you trolling?   =/

KYLIE.jpg

4 minutes ago, rayofgod said:

I haven't, I'm just optimistic about the vibe from the couple of clips she's shared

Same here. I thought you "knew" something more. 😛

24 minutes ago, madmex said:

13 minutes ago, madmex said:

Seriously.   Are you trolling?   =/

KYLIE.jpg

Pretty sure that was released after the album which changes everything but I'm not here to defend Kylie either way.

Obviously Madonna will get more views regardless of charts/sales. She's global and she's... Madonna.

The point remains though that Kylie had a resurgence of support, positive media attention and therefore exposure in the UK which led to a successful era for her standard - all of which is thanks to a solid marketing strategy and effective management. Madonna could do with the same, that's all.