Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion

2 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I consider Medellin the first single but it could be seen as an introduction to the era and Crave is the "real" first single. Janet did that with "Got Till It's Gone." It was more of an intro than the first single. "Together Again" got the big push.

There's a new article from Billboard where it's confirmed that Medellin is the first single, but primarily pushed to the latin market, and that Crave will be the second, and with a more global market as target. He basically says that Medellin is an introduction to the musical journey that is Madame X. A really interesting read:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8509948/madonna-madame-x-album-campaign-rollout

43 minutes ago, Beastialg said:

Bastille is her biggest (and only) threat in the UK. If Eurovision and the second single explode she will be able to overcome them.

Bruce (and the Jonas Brothers on their second week) will be her threat in the USA. Bruce has not miss the number one spot in a long time, but his last album sold less than Rebel Heart on its first week so there is hope there too.

The pre-orders change from day to day, it’s not a true representation of who is selling more ‘overall’ before the album is released.

shes got this! 

4 hours ago, tasteinmen said:

I don’t get the issue if the song has been officially released? Buy the song, stream it, live in the moment and enjoy the roll out the Queen is giving us.

This is like the first time in a long time it’s being done properly.

Ok, that is nice and all, but do you have more "horrific experience at work" to share with us so that this era gets more ENJOYABLE? Thanks! 🤗

p.s. Here is a lesson for you: Do not dare going "I don't get it" with me. 

Realistically Bastille are indeed a threat they are a big band here and sell well. Bruce Springsteen appeals to the dads . She has her work cut out . 

Lets just see what happens . 

Yeah, Bastille is above because she her album has been on pre-sale since April 17th, the fact that even after that she’s above Bruce means that she has more momentum and then Crave and Eurovision will push her, do not underestimate that.

11 hours ago, Confessit said:

A song that sounds half Spanish was never going to get to the top of Billboard it all makes a lot more sense now.

Um, there are songs that are completely in Spanish that have topped the Billboard charts.

12 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Um, there are songs that are completely in Spanish that have topped the Billboard charts.

Totally Spanish without any English? 

I didn’t realise I know latin influenced songs are very popular and have been over the last few years. Any recommendations ?

32 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I didn’t realise I know latin influenced songs are very popular and have been over the last few years. Any recommendations ?

"Despacito" topped the charts everywhere, including the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despacito#Charts

Shakira has charted with songs sung in Spanish in the UK, including one with Maluma. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakira_discography#Singles

6 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Ok, that is nice and all, but do you have more "horrific experience at work" to share with us so that this era gets more ENJOYABLE? Thanks! 🤗

p.s. Here is a lesson for you: Do not dare going "I don't get it" with me. 

Oh wow, I didn’t think a small opinion would trigger such rage.

2 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

"Despacito" topped the charts everywhere, including the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despacito#Charts

Shakira has charted with songs sung in Spanish in the UK, including one with Maluma. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakira_discography#Singles

Oh I loved Despactio I’d forgotten about that !

Amazing!!  

Music is much more global than it used to be. There have been songs that have crossed over and charted in regions of a different language. Radio seems more open now to play foreign language songs. It happened in the past but it was pretty darn rare. Remember 99 Luft Balloons? Nena recorded an English version but it did not chart in the US. Only the German version charted in the US! And let's not forget the Macarena…… I can't, as much as I've tried too. lol

1 hour ago, Confessit said:

The macarena says hi! 😂

In the UK, Justin Bieber's version is what drove despacito to be a huge hit.

The main thing that's stopping Latin songs is the radio not playing them. 

The only thing we can hope now is that Medellin will be played on a loop at all those awful cockroach infested apartments all the pissed up Brits head to in  Benidorm on their all inclusive alcohol induced coma holidays with their kids so that when they get home and realise their Universal credit has been stopped they need to lose themselves in holiday haze and download it.

5 hours ago, stevo208 said:

The only thing we can hope now is that Medellin will be played on a loop at all those awful cockroach infested apartments all the pissed up Brits head to in  Benidorm on their all inclusive alcohol induced coma holidays with their kids so that when they get home and realise their Universal credit has been stopped they need to lose themselves in holiday haze and download it.

😂 Should be a hit in September then when they get back from their hols!

It's out of the UK top 100 but there we go. It's been a huge viral hit and loads of people love it so hopefully they'll pick up the CD in the supermarket.

7 hours ago, Confessit said:

Oh I loved Despactio I’d forgotten about that !

Amazing!!  

Well, it's not a disco banger 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, stevo208 said:

This the best thing I have read this week. Thank you!!! 

6 hours ago, jonski43 said:

The macarena says hi! 😂

In the UK, Justin Bieber's version is what drove despacito to be a huge hit.

The main thing that's stopping Latin songs is the radio not playing them. 

Language is not an issue. It doesn't matter if the song is half Spanish. Songs in freakin Korean have topped the charts in the US.

Repeat after me. The problem is AGE!! Age-ism. That's the problem.

17 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

are people still waiting for a "disco banger"? 

He is.

20 minutes ago, danorbit said:

It won't be a disco song and it will probably be the BIM of the album :chuckle:

I'm really looking forward to it. 🤣😂

This is really interesting about how the UK charts work, it appears that radio airplay makes no difference, and only streams and purchased music count, so for Madonna to break into the top 40 she would need 800,000 paid streams or 4.5million free streams!

How are the Official UK Charts calculated? 

The Official UK Chart is calculated by sales as well as both music and video streams, with a variable streaming ratio depending on whether the user has a free or paid subscription. This means that 100 paid streams will equal one sale, as will 600 free streams. 

For example, if your track gets 100,000 paid streams across the various online music & video platforms like Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music and other, they will be counted as 1,000 sales by the charts and included in your final sales total, whereas you'd need 600,000 free streams to generate that same number. Other sales include both paid digital downloads and physical releases.

How many sales do I need to get into the Official UK charts?

In recent years, the average UK Top 40 single will have made at least 8,000 sales, while the number one track will have sold around 100,000 copies. The figures for the Official UK album chart are similar, with the average top 40 album selling over 4,000, and the number one typically achieving sales of around 60,000.

22 hours ago, Jackie said:

This is really interesting about how the UK charts work, it appears that radio airplay makes no difference, and only streams and purchased music count, so for Madonna to break into the top 40 she would need 800,000 paid streams or 4.5million free streams!

How are the Official UK Charts calculated? 

The Official UK Chart is calculated by sales as well as both music and video streams, with a variable streaming ratio depending on whether the user has a free or paid subscription. This means that 100 paid streams will equal one sale, as will 600 free streams. 

For example, if your track gets 100,000 paid streams across the various online music & video platforms like Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music and other, they will be counted as 1,000 sales by the charts and included in your final sales total, whereas you'd need 600,000 free streams to generate that same number. Other sales include both paid digital downloads and physical releases.

How many sales do I need to get into the Official UK charts?

In recent years, the average UK Top 40 single will have made at least 8,000 sales, while the number one track will have sold around 100,000 copies. The figures for the Official UK album chart are similar, with the average top 40 album selling over 4,000, and the number one typically achieving sales of around 60,000.

Radio airplay makes no difference to the charts in the UK, but it gives exposure to a song which in turn can increase sales and streaming. It's kind of baffling that say 8,000 UK fans haven't bothered to purchase the track, but if a physical or physicals were released, we'd have another top 40 hit guaranteed. Oh well.