Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion

9 minutes ago, headonfire said:

I have been trying to keep away from all the negative stuff too, but it's been a constant onslaught -- just awful. It's almost has if she killed someone. The things I have read and seen in the press in the UK, comments from people, I really wasn't expecting it, and it all seems to have been blown way out of proportion.

As a fan, I don't have a problem saying that was not a good performance, at all. But all this hatred is totally uncalled for! People have been absolutely vicious here, and I just can't understand it.

(Sorry for the depressing post, but it has just been tough)

Yes, it’s been vicious, but I knew that this would end up being a big (negative) story within about 30 seconds of her starting to sing, and I imagine I’m not the only one who foresaw that.

4 minutes ago, nimos said:

Yes, it’s been vicious, but I knew that this would end up being a big (negative) story within about 30 seconds of her starting to sing, and I imagine I’m not the only one who foresaw that.

I really didn't foresee it. I didn't particularly like the performance, primarily because of the LAP arrangements and the overall lack of energy. There were 4 or 5 flat notes, but didn't really mind it. I was mainly concerned with the f**king stairs and her long dress, so maybe that's way I didn't pay much attention to the vocals at the start.

But then, when I started seeing the reactions, I was completely taken off guard. And today it's still going. 

My problem is not with it being a negative story really, because I'm the first to say it wasn't a good performance, but the negativity that resulted from it has just been absolutely vicious. Some of the comments I have read, stuff on social media, have been absolutely disgusting.

I know this is not new, but it feels so much more visible because of the internet and social media. Just horrendous how mean people can be.

24 minutes ago, headonfire said:

I have been trying to keep away from all the negative stuff too, but it's been a constant onslaught -- just awful. It's almost has if she killed someone. The things I have read and seen in the press in the UK, comments from people, I really wasn't expecting it, and it all seems to have been blown way out of proportion.

As a fan, I don't have a problem saying that was not a good performance, at all. But all this hatred is totally uncalled for! People have been absolutely vicious here, and I just can't understand it.

(Sorry for the depressing post, but it has just been tough)

No it's good to hear that some people actually understand what we've been trying to say in that other thread. I haven't seen an onslaught like this in years and on the day they planned their "due to overwhelming demand" ish about the tour, every fucking thing everywhere is about how Madonna can't even sing and should hang up her suspenders. it's an immense backfire.

It's no surprise that so many Brit/Euro posters have been unusually quiet the last few days.

12 minutes ago, Kim said:

No it's good to hear that some people actually understand what we've been trying to say in that other thread. I haven't seen an onslaught like this in years and on the day they planned their "due to overwhelming demand" ish about the tour, every fucking thing everywhere is about how Madonna can't even sing and should hang up her suspenders. it's an immense backfire.

It's no surprise that so many Brit/Euro posters have been unusually quiet the last few days.

The vocal coaches are all wondering "What is going on with her life right now?". It's heartbreaking. 

23 minutes ago, Kim said:

That's totally it.

There was this TimeOut London article today about her added shows at the London Palladium, and on facebook, every single comment in there said exactly that -- 'pack it up', 'just retire already', and even worse, with people now feeling validated and entitled to say that.  

2 minutes ago, headonfire said:

That's totally it.

There was this TimeOut London article about her added shows at the London Palladium, and on facebook, every single comment in there said exactly that - 'pack it up', 'just retire already', and even worse, with people now feeling validated and entitled to say that.  

I was really hoping this wouldn't be one of *those* eras yet again. I hope she hasn't come straight back to London into this ish. I'm really sick of it.

1 minute ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

A stripped down, non-theatrical performance that focuses on live vocals would fix all the negativity. 

But how could she do that and reach such a big audience like the one on Saturday? 

1 minute ago, Kim said:

I was really hoping this wouldn't be one of *those* eras yet again. I hope she hasn't come straight back to London into this ish. I'm really sick of it.

Sending hugs and kisses to you from the East 🤗 :smooch:

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Sending hugs and kisses to you from the East 🤗 :smooch:

Thank you Asian Flower. I'm sure I'll survive 🤣😘  It's just a tad deflating.

Just now, AlanLongoria said:

And here in Mexico I heard Hung Up and Don't Tell Me this weekend out in the real world. It was a lovely experience.

No song contests over there Madge can gatecrash?

11 minutes ago, Kim said:

Yeah, like you said above, deflating is a good word to describe how it all feels. Sending hugs your way. 😘 Hopefully soon people will move on to a different topic, and M will turn this all around.

It’s the first massive exposure any musical element of Madonna has hit the general public since, what, Celebration in 2009? Maybe 4 Minutes? MDNA and RH didn’t produce big hit singles at all here. 

I’ve had a lot of friends message me about it. Nothing good. It’s sad, really. As has been noted, the extra tour dates announcement was obviously planned to come after a well received performance at Eurovision and the announcement instead comes across as awkward. 

If people want to take this performance and use it as the signifier of what they think about Madonna, ignoring all the times she’s killed it on stage, then that’s their loss in a way. The one good thing that may come out of this is that she does take more vocal coaching and sorts out whatever went wrong on Saturday

I’m just going to try to ignore anything on social media until this blows over. :tigger:I don’t like to make negative posts like this, especially as a new poster, but it’s just been a downer of a weekend as a fan. 

16 minutes ago, headonfire said:

That's totally it.

There was this TimeOut London article today about her added shows at the London Palladium, and on facebook, every single comment in there said exactly that -- 'pack it up', 'just retire already', and even worse, with people now feeling validated and entitled to say that.  

.....I saw that too and thought “more chances for me then getting a ticket”

42 minutes ago, headonfire said:

I really didn't foresee it. I didn't particularly like the performance, primarily because of the LAP arrangements and the overall lack of energy. There were 4 or 5 flat notes, but didn't really mind it. I was mainly concerned with the f**king stairs and her long dress, so maybe that's way I didn't pay much attention to the vocals at the start.

But then, when I started seeing the reactions, I was completely taken off guard. And today it's still going. 

My problem is not with it being a negative story really, because I'm the first to say it wasn't a good performance, but the negativity that resulted from it has just been absolutely vicious. Some of the comments I have read, stuff on social media, have been absolutely disgusting.

I know this is not new, but it feels so much more visible because of the internet and social media. Just horrendous how mean people can be.

39 minutes ago, Kim said:

It is painful for us to witness this backlash again.  We all know how incredible Madonna is as a performer.  We know what a beautiful wonderful entertainer she is and how lovely her voice it.  Seen it all the time.  I adore her as a singer and entertainer and her music has given me life so to speak since her first album and single. I don't live in the UK but as soon as I heard those vocals in Like a Prayer that for whatever reason were out of tune,  I felt so frightened for her.  Sounds dramatic - yeah I know - but true.  This sounds dramatic too but wanted to cry for her.  To all of us,  Madonna is incredibly important,  why we are on this forum and why we love her so much. I was already upset over the Australian election result amongst other things and was thinking that I had this to cheer me up.  The negative reaction to her performance has only made me more depressed and as you both noted, the way that the truly vile haters are having a field day is horrific to all of us fans.  We know she will prevail and get over this ( she always does )  but I am not ashamed to admit that it hurts like hell. 

4 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

.....I saw that too and thought “more chances for me then getting a ticket”

That's the positive of it all -- but at the same time I want M to be loved or at least respected, and with what happened, I feel like people feel that they can say the most horrendous things about her.

Anyway, I will stop bringing that negativity here.

11 minutes ago, Disintegration said:

It’s the first massive exposure any musical element of Madonna has hit the general public since, what, Celebration in 2009? Maybe 4 Minutes? MDNA and RH didn’t produce big hit singles at all here. 

I’ve had a lot of friends message me about it. Nothing good. It’s sad, really. As has been noted, the extra tour dates announcement was obviously planned to come after a well received performance at Eurovision and the announcement instead comes across as awkward. 

If people want to take this performance and use it as the signifier of what they think about Madonna, ignoring all the times she’s killed it on stage, then that’s their loss in a way. The one good thing that may come out of this is that she does take more vocal coaching and sorts out whatever went wrong on Saturday

I’m just going to try to ignore anything on social media until this blows over. :tigger:I don’t like to make negative posts like this, especially as a new poster, but it’s just been a downer of a weekend as a fan. 

6 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

It is painful for us to witness this backlash again.  We all know how incredible Madonna is as a performer.  We know what a beautiful wonderful entertainer she is and how lovely her voice it.  Seen it all the time.  I adore her as a singer and entertainer and her music has given me life so to speak since her first album and single. I don't live in the UK but as soon as I heard those vocals in Like a Prayer that for whatever reason were out of tune,  I felt so frightened for her.  Sounds dramatic - yeah I know - but true.  This sounds dramatic too but wanted to cry for her.  To all of us,  Madonna is incredibly important,  why we are on this forum and why we love her so much. I was already upset over the Australian election result amongst other things and was thinking that I had this to cheer me up.  The negative reaction to her performance has only made me more depressed and as you both noted, the way that the truly vile haters are having a field day is horrific to all of us fans.  We know she will prevail and get over this ( she always does )  but I am not ashamed to admit that it hurts like hell. 

It really does hurt like hell. Thank you both for also sharing how you feel. @Disintegration @Jazzy Jan😘❤️

I already tuned out the social media stuff but the fact it's still coming through other channels indicates how big it is. Not to mention the first ever incidence of my personal circle being (respectfully) critical.

Lovely post Jazzy ❤️

Anyway, a poster earlier who appears to be in the know indicated there are big things afoot for UK promo so we can look forward to that!

1 minute ago, Kim said:

I already tuned out the social media stuff but the fact it's still coming through other channels indicates how big it is. Not to mention the first ever incidence of my personal circle being (respectfully) critical.

Lovely post Jazzy ❤️

Anyway, a poster earlier who appears to be in the know indicated there are big things afoot for UK promo so we can look forward to that!

Good she needs to hit the promo campaign in Europe in june to mitigate the fallout from the performance (vocal/dancing side only I don’t care if she gets too political)

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Lovely post Jazzy ❤️

Where? When??

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Lovely post Jazzy ❤️

So excited for this. 

6 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

It hurt but, after all this over the top bashing and hating, I feel the tide starts to turn, many articles appear that are positive and ridicule the haters.

Madonna is THE role model for resilience, that’s what I love about her, so let’s get over it. Feels good when the pain goes away. ❤️

7 hours ago, headonfire said:

That's the positive of it all -- but at the same time I want M to be loved or at least respected, and with what happened, I feel like people feel that they can say the most horrendous things about her.

Anyway, I will stop bringing that negativity here.

It’s social media. People only post ridiculously extreme points of view. 

it’s annoying because all this negative press just kinda proves the haters are justified in their minds

as usual I get the “how can you defend that it wasn’t good” from my friends and there’s only so many times you can go “I can prove she still has it “ by showing videos etc 

it clearly was a misstep and lacked the oomph it needed 

lets just hope there is some more good promo and she focussed More on the music side instead of trying to change the world 

12 hours ago, Kim said:

I've tried to limit the damage on here but I mean this ish is number 1 trending on BBC News, was on both breakfast shows, Victoria Derbyshire, This Morning, Loose Women, all the papers. It's really quite awful.

Jesus it's THAT bad? I'm not checking out any shows and been staying away from the news..well for the most part, and yet I'm still depressed. I'd probably get suicidal if I actually checked out what the media is saying:lmao:

10 minutes ago, Andra said:

Jesus it's THAT bad? I'm not checking out any shows and been staying away from the news..well for the most part, and yet I'm still depressed. I'd probably get suicidal if I actually checked out what the media is saying:lmao:

We need a group hug. 🤗