Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion

This just shows that despite being the  biggest radio station in the UK, Radio 2 has no influencing power when it comes to singles. (Something we all knew). However, its support does help to build awareness and anticipation of the album, which is the real goal here.

Still disappointed that Medellin wasn't a hit of some sort. It has all the ingredients of a summer smash if it could have cut through - and for me it's classic Madonna.

I agree with @Kim though - would rather they ditched it now and moved on to Crave! 

2 hours ago, Silverfox said:

This just shows that despite being the  biggest radio station in the UK, Radio 2 has no influencing power when it comes to singles. (Something we all knew). However, its support does help to build awareness and anticipation of the album, which is the real goal here.

Still disappointed that Medellin wasn't a hit of some sort. It has all the ingredients of a summer smash if it could have cut through - and for me it's classic Madonna.

I agree with @Kim though - would rather they ditched it now and moved on to Crave! 

This!

2 hours ago, express-yourself-1976 said:

Has this been the longest gap between two albums?

And is this strategy (releasing song by song over 2 months) better for Madonna than just dropping a wohle album in the night (like Beyonce)?

Better make the most of it as the gap may only get longer and longer the next decade after the deal is over and M focuses her priorities on other projects and kicking her foot up in simply casually enjoying life.

Number 3 in Belgium now !! 😉

IMG_20190511_141804.jpg

14 minutes ago, koen said:

Number 3 in Belgium now !! 😉

IMG_20190511_141804.jpg

Arent those just the pre sales? Isnt it a bad sign that she’s only #3 when every person gets their new song from the pre order?

anyway, that’s why eurovision is so important and can help her sell a lot more albums

14 minutes ago, MattyMads said:

I bloody hate this streaming malarkey it’s fucked the charts so much 😡

This . I think it’s utterly corrupt .its gone from being no.1 on iTunes in every country around the world which equates to no sales and no charting ( MDNA says hi ) to leaving your phone charging whilst playing YouTube ( Bitch I’m madonna says hi ) to having the highest streaming’s figures ( for This era) of her madonnas entire career ever , treble the amount of YouTube views then anything off Rebel heart ( except above mentioned) and this also equates to nothing and chart placing .

before anyone says , stop worrying about charts and enjoy era can ANYONE explain how charts are run these days because I do not understand them one bit 

Edited by RyanAnth4

The charts of the new singles shouldn't really matter as Madonna has now taken the approach of just focusing on getting the album selling. Any little buzz the singles have will just be a bonus, not an expectation, and is just used to promote the album.

4 hours ago, Jeby said:

Is this the first time Madonna did not release physical copies of a single? Or singles? That's the main thing her fans buy.

BIM didn't get a physical release apart from promo CDs.

Technically, hey you and imagine were singles but didn't get a physical release. They were like promo singles. 

So the answer remains charts are made up by execs or paid for by artists . Nobody can produce what makes No.1 over No. 8,999,874 in the charts . Fiiiiiiiiiiiiix

7 hours ago, RyanAnth4 said:

So the answer remains charts are made up by execs or paid for by artists . Nobody can produce what makes No.1 over No. 8,999,874 in the charts . Fiiiiiiiiiiiiix

Well they couldn't fix it for Taylor to get a no 1 either side of the Atlantic. Looking at Slob's swallow which did nothing at the start, they forced it everywhere for months so you can make an average track happen if you're prepared to spend dollars and time. It was worth it for the slob as the film made half a billion but it's not worth that kind of money for an album. 

And M won't spend that kind of money to look 'successful' as she's nothing to prove.

This campaign is working so much better than the last two.

15 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Well they couldn't fix it for Taylor to get a no 1 either side of the Atlantic. Looking at Slob's swallow which did nothing at the start, they forced it everywhere for months so you can make an average track happen if you're prepared to spend dollars and time. It was worth it for the slob as the film made half a billion but it's not worth that kind of money for an album. 

And M won't spend that kind of money to look 'successful' as she's nothing to prove.

Yeah I noticed the label's tricks, and putting her single down to 59p when it was being outsold by Stormzy for number one. It still didn't work for her. Maybe cos the single is SHIT?!

On 5/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, jonski43 said:

Amen!!

I am assuming that is from digital downloads? Tell me she won't chart higher if they are selling physical copies in HMV or the frigging Grocery stores or wherever they still sell CDs these days? I just feel like her larger demo is still the physical copies buying public. 

4 minutes ago, Jeby said:

I am assuming that is from digital downloads? Tell me she won't chart higher if they are selling physical copies in HMV or the frigging Grocery stores or wherever they still sell CDs these days? I just feel like her larger demo is still the physical copies buying public. 

No honey..

13 hours ago, Jeby said:

I thought HMV in the UK have closed down

I miss the days of rushing to my local record store  to buy her singles on release day!!!

3 hours ago, Jitterbug said:

I thought HMV in the UK have closed down

Most have. A few still open.

I had to buy the physical singles from MDNA onwards via Amazon and universal.

28 minutes ago, santiago said:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/acts-with-the-most-number-1-albums-on-the-official-uk-chart__15643/

If Madonna gets another nº1 album with Madame X , she'll tie Elvis as the solo artist with most nº 1 albuns ever. She will be only behind The Beatles, with 15 nº 1 albuns.

I would love for her to get this number 1!

Tying Elvis as the solo artist with the most number one albums ever would be a total treat, and another record that would be wonderful for her to hold.

Her only chance of getting good singles chart positions would be if she released an undeniable, universally loved single like Hung Up or even 4 Minutes. Which she hasn't done in a decade. Whether you love or hate Medellin, you simply cant argue that its the stellar song she needed.

6 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Most have. A few still open.

I had to buy the physical singles from MDNA onwards via Amazon and universal.

Oh :0  Thought HMV Oxford Street had lots of the Give Me Luvin single was selling. I read somewhere they still had a small cd section back in 2012.

30 minutes ago, yououghttavogue said:

Her only chance of getting good singles chart positions would be if she released an undeniable, universally loved single like Hung Up or even 4 Minutes. Which she hasn't done in a decade. Whether you love or hate Medellin, you simply cant argue that its the stellar song she needed.

She isn’t streamed by kids and teenagers. She could release Like a Prayer today and it would miss the top 100. Time to stop caring about the singles charts when it comes to Madonna.