Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion


Recommended Posts

Any interest in a UK topic this time around? No idea how the singles will do, but not expecting much. Hoping for another #1 album though, which would tie her for second place in the all-time list alongside Elvis. 

Possible promo:

Rumour: The Graham Norton Show in May/June

Rumour: "Madonna at the BBC" primetime BBC One special in May/June 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think odds are on for a Graham Norton special show but this time just her and Graham without the distraction of anything else like a film aka the 2012 show with all things W.E. 

I'd like to see her go and hold her head high and give an interview to UK radio to discuss the new album similarly to when she went to the Oscras in 1997 after her snub for Evita but she worked it to her advantage plus the exposure on Radio 2 as Kim pointed out somewhere else it is the most listened to station in the U.K.

I do think Madame X needs more than what RH got a performance at an awards show and Johnathan Ross and that was it. 

It will be interesting how she does things this time round. There are obviously things planned as there's a full month between the Eurovision and the album actually being released. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's already a negative article :rolleyes: about radio snubbing her in the UK. I blame Brexit. The BBC has had it in her for a long time actually. Fucking ageist sexist white male wankers! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Suedey said:

There's already a negative article :rolleyes: about radio snubbing her in the UK. I blame Brexit. The BBC has had it in her for a long time actually. Fucking ageist sexist white male wankers! 

 

But the daily stupid is about as significant in the great scheme of life as a napkin from Burger King.

The song has had positive praise on radio 2 from Sara Cox, on Lorraine during a showbiz segment where they played a big segment and announced the queen was back, posters already appearing in londons underground for the album plus the BBC broadcast the Eurovision and with Graham Norton narrating it he will be heaping seat wetting praise on M he adores her so we have a lot of positive to come in the UK yet. 🤩

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right I've moved this here because it just gets ignored in the chart forum.

So, nothing in today's chart due to the nonsense of releasing it on Wednesday and losing two days of sales and streams for nothing, so today can be considered the official release date.

Buy buy buy, stream stream stream!

Of course if that leaked Radio 2 playlist for the coming week is genuine, then we're basically fucked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

Of course if that leaked Radio 2 playlist for the coming week is genuine, then we're basically fucked.

Could they add it a little later on perhaps after the buzz of the video and performance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Could they add it a little later on perhaps after the buzz of the video and performance?

They could, but Madonna isn't Ariana Grande and this isn't the US. If this hits the lower end of the UK Top 100 next Friday it will have one hell of a struggle from there on in and will be branded a colossal flop soon after. It needs exposure now and that means radio this week to be added to the video views, the sales (yes I bought mine today and so will a few thousand others this week) and the streaming, and the only way she will get any streaming is if the general public hear it on radio and investigate. It's especially important for this song that needs two or three listens to click.

If they were really smart they would have bunged a picture disk or something out this week for the collectors and got another coupla thousand sales. This is all par for the course for an older act like Madge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't expect the single will do massive things unless there's heavy promotion but that being said the album will likely go Top 3 (and hopefully #1)

singles charting is so heavily reliant on streaming nowadays but in some ways it also makes me value it less. I remember when 4 Minutes was released and I was requesting it on radio and downloading it and those were times you felt you could make legitimate impacts on how a song did but nowadays it feels so fragmented, it is what it is and it's nothing on the quality of the music or her legacy. Very few if any artists in her position and that this stage in their career will have a singles smash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 6:37 PM, Kim said:

No it hasn't.

Shite. I knew I should have purchased the single from today onwards!

well I guess I should buy off my amazon music account that I don’t really use!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

They could, but Madonna isn't Ariana Grande and this isn't the US. If this hits the lower end of the UK Top 100 next Friday it will have one hell of a struggle from there on in and will be branded a colossal flop soon after. It needs exposure now and that means radio this week to be added to the video views, the sales (yes I bought mine today and so will a few thousand others this week) and the streaming, and the only way she will get any streaming is if the general public hear it on radio and investigate. It's especially important for this song that needs two or three listens to click.

If they were really smart they would have bunged a picture disk or something out this week for the collectors and got another coupla thousand sales. This is all par for the course for an older act like Madge. 

I hear you but they still could add it following buzz hopefully following the video she is choosing London for the unveiling after all.

Ive streamed and bought now in both weeks to count.....anything official yet in when it will be sent officially to radio?

I know it's already being played on stations from what I've read in here and even Sara Cox played it on radio 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carey said:

i don't expect the single will do massive things unless there's heavy promotion but that being said the album will likely go Top 3 (and hopefully #1)

singles charting is so heavily reliant on streaming nowadays but in some ways it also makes me value it less. I remember when 4 Minutes was released and I was requesting it on radio and downloading it and those were times you felt you could make legitimate impacts on how a song did but nowadays it feels so fragmented, it is what it is and it's nothing on the quality of the music or her legacy. Very few if any artists in her position and that this stage in their career will have a singles smash.

You're right, and I don't think anyone expects a smash. I'd take Top 40 for the first single, but don't have particularly high hopes for any singles after the album is actually out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I hear you but they still could add it following buzz hopefully following the video she is choosing London for the unveiling after all.

Ive streamed and bought now in both weeks to count.....anything official yet in when it will be sent officially to radio?

I know it's already being played on stations from what I've read in here and even Sara Cox played it on radio 2.

According to the official chart co, the single is out today so I'd expect it to be at radio now. 

Sara Cox played it on Wednesday basically to say "this is Madonna's new song" (and she's a fan) but nothing since.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think the 2nd single will have much more of a chance in the UK. 

If she is premiering it on Eurovision and it's the anthem we all think it is from earlier sources then it will be much more mainstream and have a chance of top ten, even LFL got to 25 after a disastrous start and that was more classic pop/dance Madge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

According to the official chart co, the single is out today so I'd expect it to be at radio now. 

Sara Cox played it on Wednesday basically to say "this is Madonna's new song" (and she's a fan) but nothing since.

I see what you mean. Maybe they'll be a push to radio from the team next week on the heels of the video then. I really hope so at any rate as the online efforts are in the bag.

Maybe if it becomes a much bigger beast elsewhere they also may pick it up next week. I know it's all maybes but you never know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the issue is that they don't seem capable of tailoring things to specific markets anymore. Staggering things to get a hit in one place can make it bomb in another. Just the way it is unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

But is it really radio friendly?? I don't know, tbh, it's a genuine question. I don't really listen to radio anymore, so I'm really sure what he's played or not... my 1st impression is that it's not, but who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, runa said:

But is it really radio friendly?? I don't know, tbh, it's a genuine question. I don't really listen to radio anymore, so I'm really sure what he's played or not... my 1st impression is that it's not, but who knows?

I was gonna say of course, but thinking about the way parts of the UK are in 2019, hearing a foreign language on radio would probably have people complaining en masse.

1 hour ago, JWAD said:

No.49 in Scotland! My homeland always shows the love for M!

OMG my streaming paid off! Take note Madge! Madame X Tour Glasgow date THANKS! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kim said:

I was gonna say of course, but thinking about the way parts of the UK are at the moment, hearing a foreign language on radio would probably have people phoning in in droves to complain.

OMG my streaming paid off! Take note Madge! Madame X Tour Glasgow date THANKS! 

 

My streaming too! Hydro again please that was a great concert in 2015!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Not bad at all for a couple of days.

Um it's pretty bad, but oh well (and no point splitting it into micro charts - it hasn't charted Top 100 simple as that)

3 minutes ago, JWAD said:

My streaming too! Hydro again please that was a great concert in 2015!

It was a great show indeed. Fingers crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Suedey said:

There's already a negative article :rolleyes: about radio snubbing her in the UK. I blame Brexit. The BBC has had it in her for a long time actually. Fucking ageist sexist white male wankers! 

 

I think women are just as bad. Many female London media types sneer at Madonna but then worship Beyonce and Slob.

And anyone questioning whether a foreign language record would get played, despacito (both version) and sube la radio both got extensive radio play on radio 2.

Also, songs are around  for so long now thanks to streaming. If it can get picked up, it may not chart highly but could hang about for a long time through summer.

The main aim though is to get the no 1 album and sell the tour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, runa said:

But is it really radio friendly?? I don't know, tbh, it's a genuine question. I don't really listen to radio anymore, so I'm really sure what he's played or not... my 1st impression is that it's not, but who knows?

In terms of 2019, idk either really.....but just looking back, Frozen certainly wasn't what I'd call "radio friendly" for 1998. I wouldn't say this song is as "good" as Frozen (and a song doesn't have to be to be a hit) but I absolutely believe it's as much of a breath of fresh air that Frozen was in '98! Whole different set of rules back then though, so it had a chance to grow on people. I truly think that the potential for that to happen with this song is there but not sure if it'll come to fruition just because of the circumstances of an older act releasing in 2019 and having an uphill battle with radio airplay. Unless you're a "hot" streaming act, you have to be incredibly strategic with releases. The slightest little misstep can ruin it all. It's been said many acts release their songs a couple of days before the official start of the chart week and it actually works to their benefit. If a song is an organic hit, then I don't think it really matters what day it's released. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...