“Medellín”

15 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

The noise-distortion you can hear from 0:25-0:27 bothers me. Hope they fix it when the album comes out. 

Plus, the lyrics from the Youtube clip are missing some words. Mess. 

Whoop! I hear that. But I don’t know if it bothers me...maybe it’s intentional...although likely not 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

He is still trashing her currently on his pathetic showbiz site though.  Will always write ultra negative garbage about Madonna.  Always has and always will. 

He also wrote disgusting things about David Lynch and new Twin Peaks two years ago. I hate this guy because he is so passionate when it comes to trashing people I admire.

The Roger Freedman BS should be shared and shouted far and wide. It continues to be revolting for years. It should be reported in today’s world and not tolerated. His article dismissing Medellin as a flop is already up on Drudgereport. 

Of course Madonna has endured abuse, even physical, by men in the industry her whole career. 

She has been hijacked and character maligned with malicious intent the whole time. At a more obvious level since she turned 50.

Guest eroticerotic
5 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

The noise-distortion you can hear from 0:25-0:27 bothers me. Hope they fix it when the album comes out. 

Plus, the lyrics from the Youtube clip are missing some words. Mess. 

thats the kind of stuff my ears tend to hear first. it's a blessing and curse because it doesn't allow you to focus on the song. Most people won't bat an eye to those kinds of things and assume they were intentional if a song is officially released as is.

I've listened to this song quite a lot now in anticipation of the new material. I feel like, Maluma's parts should have started with "Dime" at :46. I don't think his ad libs prior to that mark really...add to the song. Also I think his vocals were recorded with different presets and that is why you can hear the static on his vocals especially when placed onto the calmer verses...whereas Madonna's vocals are recorded intimately and fit the smooth minimal music of the verses. 

It also irks me she doesn't rhyme anything in the first verse lol!

I took a pill and had a dream

I went back to my 17th year

Allowed myself to be naive

To be someone I've never been  (if she sang "here" at the end of this line it would still work with the song message. and rhyme! lol)

All technical stuff no ones going to really care about. The song is still a very nice vibe!

4 hours ago, side_streets said:

He also wrote disgusting things about David Lynch and new Twin Peaks two years ago. I hate this guy because he is so passionate when it comes to trashing people I admire.

He is a hack as well.  He should never be allowed to report on anybody with his biased hatred and lies. Dreadful writer too. 

50 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

Love it. 

9 hours ago, strictmachine said:

I think it’s the “sipping my pain like it’s champagne” line I’ve seen called out the most which, i must confess, I did cringe at the first time I heard it as well.  It is clunky. Now it’s like whatever...

That line makes more sense when you say it as Sean Penn - With my accent when I say Sean Penn it sounds like I’m saying champagne and I’ve hard heard others say the same before about his name and champagne!

That being said, now when you listen to the song the line makes perfect sense and isn’t clunky anymore, and the lines that follow tells a little story - if you take it as truth that it is actually Sean she is talking about. 

12 minutes ago, eroticerotic said:

thats the kind of stuff my ears tend to hear first. it's a blessing and curse because it doesn't allow you to focus on the song. Most people won't bat an eye to those kinds of things and assume they were intentional if a song is officially released as is.

I've listened to this song quite a lot now in anticipation of the new material. I feel like, Maluma's parts should have started with "Dime" at :46. I don't think his ad libs prior to that mark really...add to the song. Also I think his vocals were recorded with different presets and that is why you can hear the static on his vocals especially when placed onto the calmer verses...whereas Madonna's vocals are recorded intimately and fit the smooth minimal music of the verses. 

To be someone I've never been  (if she sang "here" at the end of this line it would still work with the song message. and rhyme! lol)

All technical stuff no ones going to really care about. The song is still a very nice vibe!

I hear the static on his vocals, too, and wondered...

The rhyme scheme of the song is more complex — it’s an internal rhyme instead of an end rhyme. Seems like it is the last syllable of the first line that rhymes with the penultimate syllable of the second line — “dream” and “sevenTEENTH” ... Second verse “champagne” and “rain” ...

I don’t know if I am describing this quite correctly. Even in the second verse, there is two syllables after “rain” so it is not perfect.

Third verse: “love” and “above” ...

So rhyme scheme is sort of like this:

A-A(x)-B-B

10 minutes ago, eroticerotic said:

lol I get what you’re saying. I like the way she sings and make those pauses right before Maluma kicks in singing. 

Also love the tiny differences from the first and last verse of the words ‘trip’ and ‘good for you’. 

Ven conmigo, let's take a triiiip
Dame de eso que tú estás tomando
Ven conmigo, I'll be so good-for-you!

Great detail because is not the usual copy/paste. 🙂

11 hours ago, MLVC82 said:

I love the lyrics....I love the "cartel of love" ......everything is perfect....

I agree with you. I actually think she is trying to put a positive spin on Medellin after the notorious drug cartel. I think as usual some people miss the point.😳

2 minutes ago, flexy said:

I agree with you. I actually think she is trying to put a positive spin on Medellin after the notorious drug cartel. I think as usual some people miss the point.😳

Absolutely. She is re-appropriating something that is negative and horrible and making it into something beautiful as an act of love (venus) all in her dream vision that is the song.

1 minute ago, Eltacubo said:

Absolutely. She is re-appropriating something that is negative and horrible and making it into something beautiful as an act of love (venus) all in her dream vision that is the song.

I love that!😀

Guest eroticerotic
18 minutes ago, peter said:

I hear the static on his vocals, too, and wondered...

The rhyme scheme of the song is more complex — it’s an internal rhyme instead of an end rhyme. Seems like it is the last syllable of the first line that rhymes with the penultimate syllable of the second line — “dream” and “sevenTEENTH” ... Second verse “champagne” and “rain” ...

I don’t know if I am describing this quite correctly. Even in the second verse, there is two syllables after “rain” so it is not perfect.

Third verse: “love” and “above” ...

So rhyme scheme is sort of like this:

A-A(x)-B-B

It only really brings out the ocd in me in the first verse; for me aside from that and most of Malumas verse ad libs (or at least the mixing on them)  the rest of the song gels . 

I don’t think people pay attention to stuff like that though!

8 minutes ago, flexy said:

4 minutes ago, Eltacubo said:

Agree, too — I was trying to look up the etymology of “cartel” to understand it better. I didn’t get very far, because the modern definitions are negative drug references, or just shady business practices in general. But it seems like it is derived from the word for “letter” or “card.” So I haven’t quite figured out if she meant something different (with a double meaning), or just disarming something negative, as you said.

If it were so terribly offensive, wouldn’t Maluma have said something to her at some point? I can’t take how the critics clutch their pearls that she dared use the term in connection with Columbia and romanticizes it ... but it’s Maluma’s hometown, so if it were offensive, it would have offended him, right? Don’t see what the fuss is about with this word choice. I thought the Venus imagery was lovely. 

Maybe i'm just a dumb blonde but i see nothing cringy on the 'champagne" line . She finally accepts her pain / troubles , is able to turn them into something positive . It's perfect in the context of the song , "forgave myself for being me " :wow:

1 hour ago, V.K said:

Maybe i'm just a dumb blonde but i see nothing cringy on the 'champagne" line . She finally accepts her pain / troubles , is able to turn them into something positive . It's perfect in the context of the song , "forgave myself fro being me " :wow:

Same here.  I actually love rhyming verses in songs.  They don't all have to be rhyming verses in songs of course but it is a trick that pleases the ears.   Think it is done very well here.  

As everyone is saying, the song gets better and better with each listen. I love it. 

To those who have not been that impressed,  just give it some more listens as it truly is a real grower.  

3 minutes ago, V.K said:

Maybe i'm just a dumb blonde but i see nothing cringy on the 'champagne" line . She finally accepts her pain / troubles , is able to turn them into something positive . It's perfect in the context of the song , "forgave myself fro being me " :wow:

+1 

i find it childish, but the same time very adult and true. accepting the existence your problems, in other words. 

18 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Same here.  I actually love rhyming verses in songs.  They don't all have to be rhyming verses in songs of course but it is a trick that pleases the ears.   Think it is done very well here.  

As everyone is saying, the song gets better and better with each listen. I love it. 

To those who have not been that impressed,  just give it some more listens as it truly is a real grower.  

@Jazzy Jan Missed you so on the premier :kiss2: ! I read how it was basically impossible for you as it was 2am there and you had to wake up super early 

Loved it from the get go . Took a few listens to digest all the elements , the BRAND NEW MADONNA she presented us .To my ears , last time that truly happened was Hard Candy , smh even though Rebel Heart played with sounds and merged genres that had practically just been born in music ( trap , PC music )

First time I listened " Medellin " I smiled early on , then started laughing as in " she did it , she totally surprised me " , I never thought I'd feel like that again about any new release really what with social media / constant "new" shit and me growing older and wearier by the year . I was suddenly 11 again . That's the mode I'm entering this album cycle and it's wonderful , thank you Madonna 💖

19 minutes ago, V.K said:

@Jazzy Jan Missed you so on the premier :kiss2: ! I read how it was basically impossible for you as it was 2am there and you had to wake up super early 

Loved it from the get go . Took a few listens to digest all the elements , the BRAND NEW MADONNA she presented us .To my ears , last time that truly happened was Hard Candy , smh even though Rebel Heart played with sounds and merged genres that had practically just been born in music ( trap , PC music )

First time I listened " Medellin " I smiled early on , then started laughing as in " she did it , she totally surprised me " , I never thought I'd feel like that again about any new release really what with social media / constant "new" shit and me growing older and wearier by the year . I was suddenly 11 again . That's the mode I'm entering this album cycle and it's wonderful , thank you Madonna 💖

Thanks V.K.  :inlove:  If I did not have to work the next day,  would have set up alarm to watch it !   Can't go to work tired and out of it though so had to see it later. 

I am adoring it.  First listen,  was not 100 % sure I loved it but within 2 more listens I was hooked.  Has so much variety in the song and I think Maluma has a lot of character in his voice and is a good singer.  They went so well together.  The 1, 2 Cha Cha Cha is such an addictive part too but it is not overdone. The song has so many layers to it.  The verses are so dreamy and melodic and contrast beautifully with the choruses.  Love the mellow slow burn too which is  so seductive. Now, can't wait until the video and the performance at the Billboard awards.  Madonna's music always lifts my spirits - has my entire life and her excellence,  variety and music magic can never be denied. 

12 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Thanks V.K.  :inlove:  If I did not have to work the next day,  would have set up alarm to watch it !   Can't go to work tired and out of it though so had to see it later. 

I am adoring it.  First listen,  was not 100 % sure I loved it but within 2 more listens I was hooked.  Has so much variety in the song and I think Maluma has a lot of character in his voice and is a good singer.  They went so well together.  The 1, 2 Cha Cha Cha is such an addictive part too but it is not overdone. The song has so many layers to it.  The verses are so dreamy and melodic and contrast beautifully with the choruses.  Love the mellow slow burn too which is  so seductive. Now, can't wait until the video and the performance at the Billboard awards.  Madonna's music always lifts my spirits - has my entire life and her excellence,  variety and music magic can never be denied. 

You broke it down beautifully . + The song's  structure is quite idiosyncratic which is always welcomed in my book . She went with the time's and generation Z obsession with vibe-y and mixed it with her power for euphoric choruses , two distinctly different choruses ! That's pretty unique in pop .terms

@vertigokane. The emails might be old but he has been doing this for years. Roger Friedman is the pond scum of entertainment reporting. Trying to straight away get negative press for every new single, album and tour she does. Has  been going on for years. Worst thing is when other entertainment news sites pick up and report his putrid stories. Why he is so dangerous.   Hope Madonna's PR firm can counter act this and him IF it gets picked up by other entertainment publications - which sadly and infuriatingly has always happened in the past. He gets fired from everywhere but still keeps popping up. His tactics are so vile. 

17 minutes ago, V.K said:

You broke it down beautifully . + The song's  structure is quite idiosyncratic which is always welcomed in my book . She went with the time's and generation Z obsession with vibe-y and mixed it with her power for euphoric choruses , two distinctly different choruses ! That's pretty unique in pop .terms

Yes !   It is so unique and captivating. I have been streaming it and playing the YouTube video of it all morning and loving it so much. 

Believe it or not, the Sun has my favorite spread so far because it emphasises HER FANS and our love.

“Fans love single.”

“Madonna’s legions of dedicated fans.”

“With fans gushing and rave reviews from critics.”

”To quote Madge, she’s well and truly back bitches.”

D64EACE1-6F70-4D35-9EA4-15A7971183AD.jpeg

4 minutes ago, the-queen said:

Believe it or not, the Sun has my favorite spread so far because it emphasises HER FANS and our love.

“Fans love single.”

🙌🏻

6 minutes ago, the-queen said:

“Fans love single.”

Love this !