“Medellín”

2 hours ago, SheldonCooper said:

Omg that sounds crazy good.  Wonder what song it is😍

Whatever the heck THAT was, I want more!!!!! I legit  pursed my lips, bobbed my head up and down, raised one eyebrow and said to myself, "OK, here we go....".

6 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

Very positive unlike some fans. This is the strange part. 

Madonna used to lose a big chunk of fans and win new ones up until Celebration. Now we're stuck with a big group of resented people who are disappointed and who are VERY active in social media. The problem is that Madonna is not winning new fans so the noise is always negative instead of new hysterical obsessed teens praising her. 

39 minutes ago, Ven Conmigo said:

He is right ! Medellin is the track of LIFE !

1 hour ago, jtrover said:

Whatever the heck THAT was, I want more!!!!! I legit  pursed my lips, bobbed my head up and down, raised one eyebrow and said to myself, "OK, here we go....".

I don’t know. I felt transported to 2001!

With Medellín it feels like home when it comes to my fandom. I felt the same with Music and American Life when they came out, instant hook and love! (Not that I didn’t enjoy the other eras, because I did on different levels, state, idk..) It just flows so beautiful and effortless. 

I am not seeing the hate for this song others are seeing. I think fans are highlighting the few haters too much which makes them seem louder and more important. 

Also, Only bad review I have seen too in Page Six from New York post and they.always trash Madonna.  Always have so completely expected it from that trash. I am finding most critics and officials reviews are loving the track - and most fans are too. 

4 hours ago, bardo said:

that's the same clip that was shared by aldo diaz. supposedly fake. doesn't really sound like the direction m went on this album.

well, it certainly makes me excited to hear more. it sounds interesting and theatrical, like the madamex trailer. I can only hope this sort of sound will be on the album, especially with Mirwais.

3 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I am not seeing the hate for this song others are seeing. I think fans are highlighting the few haters too much which makes them seem louder and more important. 

Also, Only bad review I have seen too in Page Six from New York post and they.always trash Madonna.  Always have so completely expected it from that trash. I am finding most critics and officials reviews are loving the track - and most fans are too. 

I haven't read the NYP "review" but I've also been seeing mainly positive reviews and comments which is refreshing.

10 hours ago, Shaun said:

MDNA got good reviews because MDNA is a good record and deserved them.

:wink:

8 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

He hit the nail on the head when he said people have a problem with HER and that makes them extremely critical of ANYTHING she does, music or otherwise. To a degree, I'd say that's even true for some of her "fans", especially the ones that post directly to her IG their personal expectations and vicious negative opinions when she doesn't meet those personal expectations. It's those type of fans that have clearly bought into that "she's a bitch....so I can say whatever I want" narrative as well to some degree. Anyone that tells someone they should be ashamed for liking the song, clearly doesn't have an issue with the song but the person singing it.

THIS.

Or as I like to call them - entitlements.

7 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Fair enough if they don't love it, not everyone will but what I can't get behind are those fans that voice their disappointment about no LAP or HU via her IG in extremely vicious, unnecessary ways. It's downright repulsive seeing what some of those "fans" write. They can voice their disappointment all they'd like on fan sites, or their own social media pgs or whatever but if they're FANS of Madonna, they should at least RESPECT her artistic decisions enough to not speak at her like she's (to use her term) their performing monkey designed for their personal pleasure. 

Have to say, that's what's odd this go round.....most of the stuff I'm reading from GP is quite positive! The worst comments I've read are from her supposed biggest supporters....how ironic! I'm not referencing anyone here, btw.....MN peeps have been incredibly respectful even if they don't care for the track.

5 hours ago, the-queen said:

Madonna is not a legacy artist, she is a current day artist who makes new music, and indulges in the past while on tour, mixed in with he new content. That’s what some people need to understand. New means getting something different, while still holding onto a general type of sound we’re all familiar with. Medellín being a good example, I think.

Both right on point.

I've noticed that there's this segment of her fanbase that just will never be pleased unless they get Confessions 2. Hear it more than anything else...

Then couple that with the segment (usually the same) that just can't seem to handle nor understand why she lives/creates/ages as she pleases...no different than how she's lived her public life since we've known of her...but somehow they just can't understand it in the context of now...

And then there's just the fact that I think anytime someone's reached the highest plane you can, and done so consistently, it's near impossible to allow oneself to experience the new without having to always measure it against what has come before. In the case of those very few, like Madonna, who have reached the highest of all highs, nothing can then stand a chance.

2 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Apparently radio 2 are not putting it on their playlist! Radio 1 isn't but that's no surprise. This is terrible! 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/music/773158/Madonna-Medellin-Maluma-Radio-1-Madame-X

I heard this was lies...as Radio 2 has started playing it already 

Just now, MLVC82 said:

I heard this was lies...as Radio 2 has started playing it already 

Really? I only heard it once and I listened all day yesterday and this morning and didn't hear it.

Fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, jonski43 said:

Really? I only heard it once and I listened all day yesterday and this morning and didn't hear it.

Fingers crossed!

In era’s past I was always concerned they didn’t know what they were doing....but from what I’m seeing this time around.....I’m not concerned at all....they all seem so confident...including MADONNA which makes me super super excited 

8 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Apparently radio 2 are not putting it on their playlist! Radio 1 isn't but that's no surprise. This is terrible! 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/music/773158/Madonna-Medellin-Maluma-Radio-1-Madame-X

If true that's pretty shitty. Doesn't make me like the song less. I feel like no matter what radio was never going to play it anyway.

I think we should start a new thread where we post a 15 second video clip of ourselves dancing a cha cha move to Medellín 

I’m usually shy and don’t dance but I will totally do this for Madonna. What do you guys think? This will be so funny 😆 

1 2 1 2 2 1 Cha Cha Cha

Edited by Coladonna

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

There has been no official add date anywhere. So this isn’t really true yet. 

Here , getting the lion's share of attention in NYTimes weekly pop review (They didn't review anything from RH ? Someone plz correct me if wrong ) . Also included on top of their respective Spotify playlist where it also gets singled out ! )

https://nyti.ms/2Uqs67H

Madonna has been almost everything — that’s the party line of her nearly four-decade-long career. But on her 14th album due in June, “Madame X,” she promises to become an actual shape-shifter, a secret agent “fighting for freedom” and “bringing light into dark places” in the guises of a professor, a housekeeper, a nun, a cabaret singer and a prostitute, among others. If her overstuffed 2015 album “Rebel Heart”was a touch reflective, reckoning with elements from her past as a not-always-embraced cultural rabble-rouser, “Madame X” so far promises to be a bit of a romp. She has said the inspirations come from her adopted home, Lisbon, and her longtime fascination with Latin music, which has been a part of her aesthetic since she touched down in New York at age 19. Its first single, “Medellín,” is a spotlight for the Colombian star Maluma, who met Madonna backstage at the MTV Video Music Awards last year and cheerfully glides through the track. Though this is likely the song on which she morphs into a cha cha instructor, Madonna is playing a fantasist. The producer Mirwais, who was one of Madonna’s core creative partners from her 2000 album “Music” through “Confessions on a Dance Floor” in 2005, returns to help provide a dreamy backdrop for her carefully sung (and digitally tweaked) voyage to an alternate past: a life, and love, in Medellín. The track soars when it hits its arms-outstretched chorus and dips when it reaches its most cringe-worthy lyric, but while its missteps aren’t barbed enough to deflate a reverie, it feels more like a stride in the right direction than an emphatic stomp forward. CARYN GANZ

On April 18, 2019 at 7:36 PM, Flip The Switch said:

Very positive unlike some fans. This is the strange part. 

they are not fans!!, remember gaga monsters still hate her and they would do anything, also you have the trump fans 

On April 18, 2019 at 9:45 PM, FreeMySoul said:

Wendy Williams briefly mentioned it on her show the other day but she said she didn’t hear  it and doesn’t really care for new music from Madonna. Kelly Ripa and Andy Cohen mentioned they were excited for new M music but I don’t think they’ve commented on the single yet. 

she did talks about it today, it is a number 2, good promotion toward moms and gays

I don’t want to be a downer — I’m glad I have this community to help me see the positive side of these reviews ... I must be having a “glass half empty” season in life or something, because all I can detect in these written reviews is the shade and criticism aimed at M. It makes me sad. I feel like the reviews that ultimately give the song a favorable review are doing it in spite of M, not because of her. The ones that credit Maluma for making it work (umm ... it’s a duet? It takes two to cha-cha in this case) ... words like “vampiring” and “cringe” etc. Oh and how could I forget the mention of cultural appropriation?! I mean, I didn’t even read the reviews which we were warned are negative. I’m just talking about the positive ones!

I’m glad the song is somehow managing to get a fair shake / listen from the critics. It really is a pretty and sweet song — that “post chorus” really soars and M delivers several hooks as effective as ever she has offered in her career — the 1, 2, cha-cha-chas, and the “slow down, papi” especially. 

Also, have to say I wouldn’t say she is “heavily autotuned” — I think of “Nobody’s Perfect” and the bridge of “Impressive Instant” (“I like to singy, singy, singy...”) as heavily autotuned. (Love those songs — not criticizing. Just explaining my levels of noticeable production intervention.) They make it sound like she is doing it because she can’t sing, rather than the light use for an intended effect. I agree it is noticeable — but I would label it as “subtle” rather than “heavy.” Reminds me of the light touch in the verse of “Ghosttown.” Which she was able to perform live (un-auto-tuned) quite well, I might add. 

Sorry if I sound negative. I love the song, and I’m looking forward to more of what Madame X will offer. Hope her upcoming performances (and the video!) feature extended cha-cha sequences — and hope they shut her critics up. Trying to tune it out but failing right now.

8 hours ago, V.K said:

Here , getting the lion's share of attention in NYTimes weekly pop review (They didn't review anything from RH ? Someone plz correct me if wrong ) . Also included on top of their respective Spotify playlist where it also gets singled out ! )

https://nyti.ms/2Uqs67H

Madonna has been almost everything — that’s the party line of her nearly four-decade-long career. But on her 14th album due in June, “Madame X,” she promises to become an actual shape-shifter, a secret agent “fighting for freedom” and “bringing light into dark places” in the guises of a professor, a housekeeper, a nun, a cabaret singer and a prostitute, among others. If her overstuffed 2015 album “Rebel Heart”was a touch reflective, reckoning with elements from her past as a not-always-embraced cultural rabble-rouser, “Madame X” so far promises to be a bit of a romp. She has said the inspirations come from her adopted home, Lisbon, and her longtime fascination with Latin music, which has been a part of her aesthetic since she touched down in New York at age 19. Its first single, “Medellín,” is a spotlight for the Colombian star Maluma, who met Madonna backstage at the MTV Video Music Awards last year and cheerfully glides through the track. Though this is likely the song on which she morphs into a cha cha instructor, Madonna is playing a fantasist. The producer Mirwais, who was one of Madonna’s core creative partners from her 2000 album “Music” through “Confessions on a Dance Floor” in 2005, returns to help provide a dreamy backdrop for her carefully sung (and digitally tweaked) voyage to an alternate past: a life, and love, in Medellín. The track soars when it hits its arms-outstretched chorus and dips when it reaches its most cringe-worthy lyric, but while its missteps aren’t barbed enough to deflate a reverie, it feels more like a stride in the right direction than an emphatic stomp forward. CARYN GANZ

Uh the NYT not only reviewed RH but featured an exclusive multi page interview with Madonna, and put part of it on their cover on their prized SUNDAY edition

12 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Why do some reviews consider some lyrics cringe-worthy? I don't find anything cringe-worthy at all. 

It’s just the anti-Madonna bias of certain reviewers trying to get a dig in any way they can.

They want to find fault and dislike the song.