“Medellín”

19 minutes ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

You know, as far as Pitchfork goes, that might as well be a glowing 5 star review. LOL.

yes, that's their style😂

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/17/714318790/madonnas-new-single-medellin-is-a-self-aware-nostalgia-trip

Madonna's New Single, 'Medellin,' Is A Self-Aware Nostalgia Trip

YouTube

The first single from Madonna's upcoming Madame X suggests that the doyenne of dance pop is making canny decisions in her 60th year. "Medellin" is a carefully dosed combination of the coolly narcotic dance-pop she's often made with the track's producer, Mirwais, and the energetic reggaetón of the track's featured guest, the Colombian star Maluma, and suggests this global pop sound will be the foundation of her fourteenth studio album. Starting with a whispered "one, two, cha cha cha" from Queen Madge that lends the arrangement a witty vintage feel, the song proceeds to relate a fantasy that's both sexy and slightly nostalgic. "I took a pill and had a dream," Madonna murmurs, her voice artfully Auto-tuned. "I went back to my seventeenth year."

Madonna's reverie transports her to the Colombian mountain city where, in what some might consider the song's most dubious lyric, she and Maluma have "built a cartel just for love." The line, however, makes sense in the larger scheme of Madame X, due out June 14. The singer promises that the album will have the feel of a spy movie, giving Madonna the chance to inhabit many identities – a few she's listed on Instagram include "a teacher, a nun, a cabaret singer, a saint, a prostitute" and many more. Madonna as secret agent, assuming myriad identities but never settling into one? That's a brilliant way to deal with questions the pop superstar has faced in recent years about both cultural appropriation and her refusal to embrace her status as a mature woman and artist.

The fantasy of "Medellin" could belong to a woman of any age, race or social status. Its dreaminess makes it accessible to all without making any claims on authenticity. Grounded in a minimalist take on reggaetón's ubiquitous tresillo rhythm, "Medellin" lets Madonna lay back in the groove while giving the waggish, husky-voiced Maluma plenty of room to spin out his rhymes in Spanish. Madonna and Mirwais are clearly thinking of "Despacito" here, integrating English and Spanish seamlessly in a song meant for a global marketplace.

Intended to be a celebration of the connections among musicians across borders, Madame X features several other collaborations, some intriguing (the Brazilian singer Anitta) and others possibly a bit on the nose (Diplo, Migos). Madonna has said that the album's global perspective was inspired by her life in Portugal, where she's lived since 2017, but of course, the Latin connection has been a major aspect of her work since her earliest days. "Medellin" is, in some ways, a return to her happy place, definitively portrayed in her 1986 single "La Isla Bonita" — only this time with a woozy feel more redolent of a time when synthetic drugs and virtual realities dominate the cultural conversation. Let's hope the rest of Madame X is this playful and charming.

1 hour ago, Samo said:

Really?  Critics we're falling over themselves reviewing the first 6 leaked songs off RH with unanimous praise

Except that the leaked versions sounded so much better than the final versions on the album...

One of Berlins largest newspaper website has a review on their front page. I’ll just post the link, not the text since it’s in German. But it’s positive. “Summer sound that invites you to dance. Smart move on Madonnas side as the young Maluma fans will get to know her now.”

the fact that a new song makes it onto their front page of the website just shows that she is more than relevant. I think she has a hit on her hands. 

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/neuer-song-von-madonna-ein-trip-nach-kolumbien/24232036.html

2 hours ago, luizotaviobarros said:

Not a single bad review 

My Queen is kicking ass with this song. She’s getting the respect she deserves. The song is beautiful, like a work of art. Her voice is soothing, the melody is catchy and cool. 

Hopefully these positive reviews continue. I’ve noticed what usually happens when she releases anything new the initial reaction is positive and then the hate brigade comes out and the bad reviews get the most notice. 

Keep the positive reviews coming ! Am loving this  and they are right it's hard to switch off this song ! 

AMAZ-ING !

After streaming the song multiple times on YouTube today, against my better judgement I let the next video play: a horrendous ET Canada reaction video.

It nearly ruined my day with their boring, predictable, basic-bro reaction... you really just have to ignore the negative noise.

However, I am SO glad to see all these legit positive reviews. I love the song, and it's great to see non-fans react so positively as well. This bodes well for a hit.

9 minutes ago, DesperatelySeekingJacky said:

After streaming the song multiple times on YouTube today, against my better judgement I let the next video play: a horrendous ET Canada reaction video.

It nearly ruined my day with their boring, predictable, basic-bro reaction... you really just have to ignore the negative noise.

However, I am SO glad to see all these legit positive reviews. I love the song, and it's great to see non-fans react so positively as well. This bodes well for a hit.

Watched that too—their commentary is shallow and ageist. It amazes me how some folks won’t allow Madonna’s sound to evolve, always comparing new material with songs that are 20 or 30 years old. 

17 hours ago, Samo said:

Really?  Critics we're falling over themselves reviewing the first 6 leaked songs off RH with unanimous praise

I must have missed it all in the midst of the leakage! 😂

Edited by flexy

16 hours ago, Lolo said:

Lol even MDNA got praised to high heavens at the release by the big ones. 

Really?!?.....I need to take a pill and go back to my 38th year!😁

Edited by flexy

2 hours ago, DesperatelySeekingJacky said:

Don't fret, babe. I remember back in 1998, some music outlet did an album listening for Ray of Light with a bunch of "club kids" and reported on their reactions: all but one was negative (faint praise for "Skin" or something).

There will always be haters. Always. And guess what? M is still here and still putting out great pop.

7 hours ago, Magician said:

Wow that blowback was fast and fierce. I was trying to reply to her tweet and see she has just deleted the tweet! :rotfl::rotfl:

THANK YOU. That's why I brought it here. Never underestimate the power of social media. We have been letting them get away with dragging Madonna for so long. Everybody afraid to drag Yonce because they are scared of the hive. Well we may not have the time those ones have to troll the internet but I feel like every now and then it is good to let them know that we out here. Don't play yourself.

Delighted to hear she deleted. Now she can go tell her friends that Madonna's fans still don't play. She must be confused to believe she is that irrelevant we will let such nonsense slide. Her boss probably told to delete it too

3 hours ago, DesperatelySeekingJacky said:

I don't even why they bothered reacting, the guy on the right was huffing and puffing and rolling his eyes before the segment even started as the co-host mentioned Madonna, like if you ain't into her then don't bother?

I think it’s kind of cool that Madonna “features” Maluma and “features” Justin on her album artwork but on the single artwork both times it said “Madonna & ____”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.slantmagazine.com/music/review-madonna-and-maluma-drop-sultry-new-single-medellin-from-madame-x/amp/

Last month, Page Six of the New York Postpublished an article titled “How Madonna is using younger stars to cling to relevancy.” The infamous tabloid swiftly revised its headline to the marginally softer “How Madonna is using younger stars in hopes to stay relevant” after receiving blowback for what some perceived to be a double standard. But as the gulf between the 60-year-old pop queen’s age and that of the average radio star has continued to widen, it’s true that she’s increasingly leaned on collaborations with younger artists like Justin Timberlake and Nicki Minaj.

You’d be forgiven, then, for assuming that “Medellín,” the first single from Madonna’s upcoming 14th album, Madame X, is an attempt to cash in on the ever-growing popularity of reggaton. While the 25-year-old Maluma is a huge star in Latin America, however, he’s yet to cross over beyond the Latin-pop market in the U.S., so the partnership appears to be a mutually beneficial one. And Madonna has lovingly appropriated Latin culture in her work for decades, as far back as 1986’s “La Isla Bonita,” and as recently as her torero-inspired music video for 2015’s “Living for Love.” In fact, one could argue it’s the single most consistent musical theme of her career outside of, say, dance music more broadly.

Co-produced by Mirwais, who was previously at the helm of Madonna’s Music and American Life albums, “Medellín”—named after the city where Maluma was born—is a sultry midtempo track driven by a decidedly unhurried tropical rhythm and Madonna’s catchy refrain of “one-two cha-cha-cha.” The singer’s inexplicably Auto-Tune-drenched verses are nostalgic and wistful, nodding to the breezy escapism of “La Isla Bonita”: “I took a sip and had a dream/And I woke up in Medellín.”

Vocally, Maluma does most of the heavy-lifting on the bilingual track, with inuendo-filled verses that reference both Colombia and Madonna’s hometown of Detroit. But Madonna’s sugary harmonies, particularly during the song’s rousing hook, balance out Maluma’s gigolo routine with a dreamy sweetness.

Pitchfork loved the song but go on to bash Madonna for her....get this ..AGE (lol!)

I don't understand what they couldn't just praise the song without getting in constant insults towards Madonna. Fucking ridiculous. 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/madonna-medellin-ft-maluma/

1 hour ago, Nightshade said:

Don't fret, babe. I remember back in 1998, some music outlet did an album listening for Ray of Light with a bunch of "club kids" and reported on their reactions: all but one was negative (faint praise for "Skin" or something).

There will always be haters. Always. And guess what? M is still here and still putting out great pop.

Yeah, I think that was in Spin magazine... awful.