Rate: Medellín

Rock

Rate: Medellín  

565 members have voted

1. 1. Rate: Medellín

This song is such a grower . Was driving around in my car ahd having it blasted from the speaker and it sounds absolutely MAJESTIC .

I think Maluma's part complimented Madonna's part perfectly ( whereas in 4 Mins I have always felt like Justin's part was soooooo over done .)

I don't speak Spanish and I love the Spanish part . It's warm and inviting .

I'm so in love with it .

As for the negative comments I do not mind as Madonna can't please everyone but I think it's stupid when it's something along the line of

" I asked my 10 friends and they hated the song so the GP will all hate it too etc ." I mean maybe  you need better friends ?

2 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

Did anyone notice Medellín has the exact same length of American Life? 4:58 mins.

Both first singles. Both Mirwais productions. :wow:

Well done on spotting that. 

A coincidence? I think not! 

4 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

Did anyone notice Medellín has the exact same length of American Life? 4:58 mins.

Both first singles. Both Mirwais productions. :wow:

The chances of that happening are not low at all, considering most songs last 3 to 5 minutes. 

4 minutes ago, promise to try said:

is weird, a lot of people comparing medellin with La isla bonita...and it reminds more to Who´s that girl, the chorus at least...I don´t know.

I feel like it's LIB for 2019. To me it sounds like classic Madonna.

14 hours ago, rayofgod said:

It's excellent for what it is.

A collaboration with Maluma was never going to be the Like a Prayer / Vogue / Hung Up kind of excellent. The whole purpose of it is an attempt at getting a hit lead single for the album.

Turns out we got a beautiful, melodic, chill song that will likely be the first single since 4 Minutes that will really stand out and have its own identity from her 2010s releases.

I also think a lot of people are paying too much attention to the reggaeton vibe and that it has Maluma on it. The lyrics are impeccable and could easily be on Ray of Light, whilst having classic Madonna hooks/moments (1, 2 cha cha cha / Slow down papi)

I think the rest of the album will be significantly better than this but I LOVE Medellín for what it is! (Remember it wasn't even in the first 5 tracks of the original tracklisting, where the biggest impact songs usually are)

I like your review! For me, I was in in the first 30 seconds and 3 minutes in I was of my chair... It has everything. I think I listened to it 500 times and can't wait to hear it again... it creates that amazing longing feeling that great Madonna songs do (my heart is caught in the song), and than that infections bit!!!

It's like no other song out there… the infusion of different sound genres is so fresh and new! Yet sounds familiar to Latinos and us.

I created a Spotify playlist with my favorites right now: Ari songs from her last album, Sunflower/Sway Lee,  Borderline/Tame Impala, and Bury a Friend/Billie Eilish… it fits perfectly!!! I played it in the car today. Plus my 14 years old nephew and his friends loved the song. What I think I am saying is, there is a big new audience (non M fans) for this son. It has a better chance to last on Spotify and other charts than BIM.

51 minutes ago, Shaun said:

It doesn’t feel like Maluma is featured more than Madonna to me. The trade-off feels completely even and natural. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

exactly, it makes a lot more sense than having Maluma just throw in a few verses like a stereotypical rapper feature and call it a day
that would be gimmicky, this on the other hand feels like a true collaboration

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

It doesn’t feel like Maluma is featured more than Madonna to me. The trade-off feels completely even and natural. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Agreed. It’s a collaboration. 

I couldn’t help myself and had a look at the Daily Fail. I see the usual haters who don’t like Madonna are rubbishing Medellín, as expected. DO NOT BE DISSUADED BY THEM. The same old criticisms recycled over and over, all the while Madonna keeps living her life on her terms, releasing new music, touring the world and making millions.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Feel the same way. It’s perfect. 

1 hour ago, Adriano said:

Ive listened in 3 different speakers and the song changes dramatically. Ppl must hear it in a decent system to actually feel it.

I mostly listen to music through headphones, but I do have an iPod speaker system and it does sound fantastic played out in the open. A different type of experience for sure.

I have listened to the song all day today and I'm now pretty sure I can sing the whole thing including the Spanish parts!🎉🎉

EXCELLENT

This song is fucking JAM!

Not just the best lead of the Interscope era (because that's not saying much), but easily the best lead since "Hung Up." The production is cutting edge without being trendy. The vocals pop without being totally buried in effects or lost in amateur-ish studio work. The lyrics are light without being cringe-y. This is a return to form in every way -- and the first time I've enjoyed a featured artist on a Madonna track since Prince.

5/5 -- my Queen, I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:37 AM, Kim said:

Last night I went to bed
with this earworm in my head.

I feel there could be the tiniest bit of judicious editing to make it more compact and immediate, so I'm interested in hearing the radio edit.

And can I just say WELCOME BACK MIRWAIS. I really love the production and the percussion. The song really has a modern edge that's been missing for a while.

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES, YES!!!

I remember a topic from a year or two ago in which you and I were arguing for more "maturity" in M's music, and a number of fans on the forum were rolling their eyes at us because they thought "mature" meant down-tempo, sad, dark songs or some basic shit like that. I pointed to "Music" as an example of mature dance music. The simplicity of the lyrics, that iconic one-note bassline, and the naked, untouched vocals demonstrated remarkable restraint and self-confidence -- the sort of thing you'd never get from the forgettable divas on radio today, and exactly the thing that gives "Music" a timeless feel 19 years on while trend-hoppers like "GGW" sounded dated a year after release. "Medellín," I think, demonstrates a similar type of maturity -- "a modern edge," as you say, without capitulating to the dance trends of the day.

On 4/18/2019 at 3:17 PM, karbatal said:

And I do feel that this song without Mirwais wouldn't be that brillian. I simply adore the whole production. No wonder Maluma cried. This is the most brillian work he's ever done and I frankly doubt he'll ever be in such a wonderful production ever again. 

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: 

This is so harsh! I mean, it's true, but ...

I do love a good bitchy comment when it's on point :queenbitch:

10 hours ago, Bill said:

I am obsessed.

Saaaaaaame.

I've sent this song to everyone I know who's ever been slightly into M. Can't recall doing this since "Hung Up" dropped.

1 minute ago, material_boy said:

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES, YES!!!

I remember a topic from a year or two ago in which you and I were arguing for more "maturity" in M's music, and a number of fans on the forum were rolling their eyes at us because they thought "mature" meant down-tempo, sad, dark songs or some basic shit like that. I pointed to "Music" as an example of mature dance music. The simplicity of the lyrics, that iconic one-note bassline, and the naked, untouched vocals demonstrated remarkable restraint and self-confidence -- the sort of thing you'd never get from the forgettable divas on radio today, and exactly the thing that gives "Music" a timeless feel 19 years on while trend-hoppers like "GGW" sounded dated a year after release. "Medellín," I think, demonstrates a similar type of maturity -- "a modern edge," as you say, without capitulating to the dance trends of the day.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: 

This is so harsh! I mean, it's true, but ...

I do love a good bitchy comment when it's on point :queenbitch:

Saaaaaaame.

I've sent this song to everyone I know who's ever been slightly into M. Can't recall doing this since "Hung Up" dropped.

Amen papi to all of this.

is her first lead single with spanish verses it was time after all, La isla bonita is her biggest classic on youtube, latin people are very faithful and will stream a lot the video

So, I've waited a few days before reviewing and really listening.  The first few listens did't really ignite that sudden spark like many M songs do.  But I found myself (before very early mornings and late evenings before and after work) waking up earlier and staying up later to listen again....and again and again and again!!!  It's almost like mold.  It slowly infests you, then before you know it, you're completely consumed by it (kind of a gross analogy, but it's what happened to me).  Now, I can't stop thinking about it and replaying different parts of it all day long in my head!!

Love her vocals (minus the slight auto-tune) and Maluma's part is good (and I'm o.k. w/that).  My one complaint that remains constant is the volume leveling.  Maybe it's just my settings on my desktop (where most listens occur).?   Don't think anyone else has mentioned/experienced this (but could just be my Madonna-busted ear drums or dinosaur speakers), but so excited for the next few days off so I can blast this shit on good speakers/system.   

Knew something like this was coming, but not at all what I expected.....but that's a good thing.  Her evolution and experimentation w/sounds, cultures and music as a whole is beyond comparison.  I give it a 9/10.  But I think this "grower" will increase in ratings, and stay up there w/many other captivating timeless songs by Madonna.

cha cha little doggy.gif  

I want to see  the video so I can copy her one two one two one two cha cha cha moves ! 

I’m obsessed with that line ! 

15 minutes ago, todsmod said:

So, I've waited a few days before reviewing and really listening.  The first few listens did't really ignite that sudden spark like many M songs do.  But I found myself (before very early mornings and late evenings before and after work) waking up earlier and staying up later to listen again....and again and again and again!!!  It's almost like mold.  It slowly infests you, then before you know it, you're completely consumed by it (kind of a gross analogy, but it's what happened to me).  Now, I can't stop thinking about it and replaying different parts of it all day long in my head!!

Love her vocals (minus the slight auto-tune) and Maluma's part is good (and I'm o.k. w/that).  My one complaint that remains constant is the volume leveling.  Maybe it's just my settings on my desktop (where most listens occur).?   Don't think anyone else has mentioned/experienced this (but could just be my Madonna-busted ear drums or dinosaur speakers), but so excited for the next few days off so I can blast this shit on good speakers/system.   

Knew something like this was coming, but not at all what I expected.....but that's a good thing.  Her evolution and experimentation w/sounds, cultures and music as a whole is beyond comparison.  I give it a 9/10.  But I think this "grower" will increase in ratings, and stay up there w/many other captivating timeless songs by Madonna.

cha cha little doggy.gif  

Absolutely!!!! 🙌

19 hours ago, cocolattee said:

I don't get the La isla comparison
Just because they both have a latino/spanish influence doesn't mean they're similar, I think the vibe is very different.... love them both though ❤️

It sounds nothing like La Isla, nor  does it have the same or similar vibe. It’s like saying Material Girl and Ray of Light are similar because they are both pop and sung in English.

50 minutes ago, Rugbyguy said:

It sounds nothing like La Isla, nor  does it have the same or similar vibe. It’s like saying Material Girl and Ray of Light are similar because they are both pop and sung in English.

Agreed. It’s a new sound altogether, and I’m glad you like it. 

It seems the majority of Madonna fans and the general public like the song and that's great. Unfortunately, I don't. It reminds me of 4 Minutes where it sounded like she's only featured on her own song. Too much Maluma for me. The song overall feels too low key for me. I would have preferred something more impactful as the first single but maybe this is a good thing. It's a slow burn. From what I've read, it gets better or is more appreciated from repeated listens. Maybe the video and live performance will change my opinion.